PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Monaco Grand Prix Thread

Pages : [1] 2

steveaki13
20th May 2013, 18:54
So its time for the glamour date in the F1 calender. Monte Carlo.

I have to be honest, although many dont enjoy the sometimes processional racing at Monaco, it has always been one of my favorite races.
Having been going through many Monaco Races over the last 25 years, I have noticed that you actually get more overtaking than most years at Barcelona for example, on top of that we see alot of tight battling. Plus the occasional crazy race when minnows score points.

2013 Monaco GP, Monte Carlo

23rd-26th May 2013

78 Laps

Drivers Championship after 5 Rounds

Sebastian Vettel - 89 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]
Kimi Raikkonen - 85 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]
Fernando Alonso - 72 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]
Lewis Hamilton - 50 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]
Felipe Massa - 45 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]
Mark Webber - 42 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]
Romain Grosjean - 26 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]
Paul di Resta - 26 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]
Nico Rosberg - 22 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]
Jenson Button - 17 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]
Sergio Perez - 12 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]
Daniel Ricciardo - 7 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]
Adrian Sutil - 6 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]
Nico Hulkenberg - 5 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]
Jean Eric Vergne - 1 pt[/*:m:1fajb5qw]

Constructors Championship after 5 Rounds

Red Bull - 131 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]
Ferrari - 117 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]
Lotus - 111 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]
Mercedes - 72 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]
Force India - 32 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]
Mclaren - 29 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]
Toro Rosso - 8 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]
Sauber - 5 pts[/*:m:1fajb5qw]

Previous Winners - Since 1990
1990- Senna
1991- Senna
1992- Senna
1993- Senna
1994- M. Schumacher
1995- M. Schumacher
1996- Panis
1997- M. Schumacher
1998- Hakkinen
1999- M. Schumacher
2000- Coulthard
2001- M. Schumacher
2002- Coulthard
2003- Montoya
2004- Trulli
2005- Raikkonen
2006- Alonso
2007- Alonso
2008- Hamilton
2009- Button
2010- Webber
2011- Vettel
2012- Webber

Most Wins (Multiple Winners)
Ayrton Senna - 6 wins
Michael Schumaher - 5 wins
Graham Hill - 5 wins
Alain Prost 4 wins
Stirling Moss - 3 wins
Jackie Stewart - 3 wins
Fangio - 2 wins
Trintignant -2 wins
Niki Lauda - 2 wins
Coulthard - 2 wins
Mark Webber - 2 wins
Fernando Alonso - 2 wins
Jody Scheckter - 2 wins

* So no one of the currant class is likely to challenge Senna's amazing 6 wins, but Alonso and Webber could move level with two legends if either win this weekend
Multiple Constructors Wins Including pre F1.
Mclaren - 15 wins
Ferrari - 9 wins
Lotus - 7 wins
BRM - 5 wins
Bugatti - 4 wins
Mercedes - 3 wins
Alfa Romeo -3 wins
Maserati - 3 wins
Cooper - 3 wins
Tyrell - 3 wins
Williams - 3 wins
Red Bull - 3 wins
Brabham - 2 wins
Benetton - 2 wins
Renault - 2 wins

* Wow Mclaren have had some success here, can Ferrari clam that 10th win.

Even though I love the Monaco GP, I am going to miss this one and will have to watch it in the evening as I am going to Brands to watch some classic F1 and Pre F1 Grand Prix cars.

Koz
20th May 2013, 19:37
This will be an interesting.

Mercedes will lock out the front row. And I do wonder how slow they will be in race trim.
They might just bunch up the pack enough that there won't be any gap for a clean run following the first round of pit stops.

Might have a few in the top 10 starting on prime tyres, which could work for Grosjean or Massa, with a podium in mind.

N4D13
20th May 2013, 19:46
The pecking order at Monaco doesn't really need to be the same than at Barcelona. I guess that if there's any car with better traction than the others (perhaps Lotus and Ferrari? Anyway, it's a wild guess), they could have the advantage.

We might see a few interesting strategies. Remember how Alonso could have won last year's race if he had stayed out for a lap longer while everyone struggled on cold new tyres?

Whyzars
21st May 2013, 13:54
Mercedes will lock out the front row. And I do wonder how slow they will be in race trim.

Mercedes have an awesome car and that result wouldn't surprise me at all.

Aside from fuel, what can be done to Parc Ferme cars that can be called "race trim"?

I've been assuming that the Mercedes is needing to be loaded up with more fuel than the others and that is the reason for the relative differences from qualifying time to first lap time. Heavy car producing extra load and wear on tyres, etc.. Is that not correct?

kfzmeister
21st May 2013, 14:24
This will be an interesting.

They might just bunch up the pack enough that there won't be any gap for a clean run following the first round of pit stops.

Monaco is very easy on tires, so Mercedes could really do well here. They have exceptional traction out of slow corners. Ferrari haven't won here in the last 12 tries, but safety car is likely (80% chance), so anything could happen.

GoZo!

Knock-on
21st May 2013, 16:04
I really don't have a clue what's going to happen.

If Merc do their usual Qualifying blitz and the tyres hold up, then it could be enough but will they?

Kimi and Fred could do very well and of course, either Bulls will be right up there with Mark always going well in the Principality. I have a feeling PdR will go well on Sunday as well but it's anyones guess.

Ranger
22nd May 2013, 05:26
On a side note:

http://distilleryimage2.ak.instagram.com/97f892e0c16f11e2bccd22000ae91234_7.jpg

longisland
22nd May 2013, 07:10
I wouldn't bet against the bulls going by the form book. Hopefully, Marussia can get into Q2 and maybe Caterham scoring a point.

Koz
22nd May 2013, 09:22
I wouldn't bet against the bulls going by the form book. Hopefully, Marussia can get into Q2 and maybe Caterham scoring a point.

Yes, which alternate reality are you from? :)

henners88
22nd May 2013, 09:24
On a side note:

http://distilleryimage2.ak.instagram.com/97f892e0c16f11e2bccd22000ae91234_7.jpg
Don't tell me Nico has been replaced by Roscoe!! :eek:

Or is Lewis sitting this one out? :p

Koz
22nd May 2013, 09:32
Monaco is very easy on tires, so Mercedes could really do well here. They have exceptional traction out of slow corners. Ferrari haven't won here in the last 12 tries, but safety car is likely (80% chance), so anything could happen.

GoZo!

If they can maintain tyres anywhere close other teams, they will qualify and finish 1-2.
I figure they will qualify ahead of RBR by a margin of 0.5 seconds.

odykas
22nd May 2013, 09:37
Forza Ferrari :D

pino
22nd May 2013, 09:57
ody, since when you became a tifoso ? :eek: :up: :p :

odykas
22nd May 2013, 10:13
I have always been one.

Of course except 1996 - 2006 period when the :devil: was around!

Koz
22nd May 2013, 10:51
Aside from fuel, what can be done to Parc Ferme cars that can be called "race trim"?

I've been assuming that the Mercedes is needing to be loaded up with more fuel than the others and that is the reason for the relative differences from qualifying time to first lap time. Heavy car producing extra load and wear on tyres, etc.. Is that not correct?

Yes, you are correct.
But is isn't only about about fuel. I don't think a fuel load of a few kg will make any major difference, we are talking somewhere along the lines of 1 second per 30-40 kg of fuel, if we are talking about that much fuel something is very wrong with the Mercedes engine. I think every team tries to use the least amount possible based on predictions from the FP sessions. And it probably isn't what is causing Merc's excessive tyre wear.
This could possibly be from the fact that they have far too much mechanical grip perhaps?

What I actually meant was the gear ratios, aero and balance of the cars are set up to suit their strengths, I am sure Ferrari and Lotus could easily improve their qualifying pace but it would end up in them sacrificing race pace.
For instance, if you look at the speed traps, you will see that RBR and Vettel in particular have the slowest times (on par or slower with the new teams, if not slower, 10-15km down on Ferrari and Lotus) in the speed traps. This is IMO, because they are set to dominate Qualifying and the race form the front. If Vettel doesn't break away from the pack in the first few laps before DRS kicks in, he is essentially a sitting duck. But while outside DRS, he will be consistently the fastest driver because gearing and aero are intended to deliver maximum performance with out DRS or overtaking. While other teams who aren't really challenging from P1 have much, much faster times and very good race pace and overtaking.

It is all a fine balancing act, with expectations set before qualifying even starts.
Which is why Abu Dhabi last year was so interesting in how Vettel demolished everyone. Pity we can't see speed trap times from races, I would say they would have been faster than everyone by quite a margin.

Although I must admit this is not very true for Monaco though, speeds are very consistent for all the teams, since overtaking is near impossible.

This is also why Mark is always slipping backwards in races, since he rarely gets P1, he is easily overtaken by those behind him due to his low top speed.

truefan72
22nd May 2013, 22:50
my least favorite race of the year

steveaki13
22nd May 2013, 23:08
my least favorite race of the year

One of my favorites.

Shows how we all have different views and ideas. And why some of the arguements in the threads are out of hand.

N4D13
22nd May 2013, 23:56
The Monaco GP is probably the strangest race of the calendar for me. It's one of those races where I'm always expecting for pitstops to mean a change in positions or a safety car to come out, because I know for certain that if nothing strange happens, there aren't going to be any drivers switching position. And that's not what I'd call an entertaining race.

webberf1
23rd May 2013, 01:33
People who don't enjoy monaco i just think 'it sucks to be you'. Its an awesome race, and actually sees a lot more overtaking than people give it credit. And you always see those epic 6-8 car chains forming, causing epic chaos.

CAN'T WAIT!

webberf1
23rd May 2013, 01:37
Yes, which alternate reality are you from? :)

Don't discount it so quickly. Jules Bianchi is looking like he is the real deal, and monaco is a circuit where drivers can make a real difference. I'm sure there were times when Alonso or Webber in the minardis qualified a lot higher than people expected.

And as far as finishing in the points goes, remember Monaco '96 when only 3 drivers finished the race? Attrition is always high, opening the door to backmarkers getting good results.

Koz
23rd May 2013, 01:59
Don't discount it so quickly. Jules Bianchi is looking like he is the real deal, and monaco is a circuit where drivers can make a real difference. I'm sure there were times when Alonso or Webber in the minardis qualified a lot higher than people expected.

Not that I can recall.
I really doubt that Bianchi will somehow manage to pull out a second out of his car. Qualifying times of "old" backmarkers and the new teams has been consistent for the last two years.
Hekki pulled out a second last year, but that was nothing more than some kind of once-in-a-decade anomaly (and it still wasn't enough). :)

And as far as finishing in the points goes, remember Monaco '96 when only 3 drivers finished the race? Attrition is always high, opening the door to backmarkers getting good results.
I hope not. I don't want to see half the grid retire. In fact I don't want to see a safety car, either.

airshifter
23rd May 2013, 03:53
Just a reminder to US fans, live coverage will be on the primary NBC channel, not NBC sports. Don't forget to change your DVR time or wake up time!

I accept Monaco for what it is. Often decided in qualification, but with a few twists and turns that happen at times. I still enjoy it.

steveaki13
23rd May 2013, 07:29
People have short memories.

Overtaking at Monaco has been quite good over the years. Your always going to get the odd race where people cant overtake, but going through old races, there is probably more overtakes and action than most Spanish and Hungarian GPs.

gloomyDAY
23rd May 2013, 08:23
Here's an album of the pre-race hooliganism! (http://imgur.com/a/GMQu8)

Wow, what a life.

Ranger
23rd May 2013, 08:42
Here's an album of the pre-race hooliganism! (http://imgur.com/a/GMQu8)

http://i.imgur.com/d90NCXHh.jpg

Love it!

CaptainRaiden
23rd May 2013, 09:24
I'm guessing this is gonna be great fodder for those photoshop artists out there. Just imagine the possibilities. :D

http://i.imgur.com/w7XTp8B.jpg

Salsa or bullfighting spring to mind first.

Big Ben
23rd May 2013, 11:17
The race would look better if they'd broadcast more from the onboard cameras :p : .... so people could see how tight the track is and how much skill is needed just to reach to the checkered flag

henners88
23rd May 2013, 11:52
The race would look better if they'd broadcast more from the onboard cameras :p : .... so people could see how tight the track is and how much skill is needed just to reach to the checkered flag
It can't be that hard, Mark Webber has won it twice. Its just a matter of having the bestest best car and steering it round the bends. I bet you and I could do it in a Red Bull. :p :)

Koz
23rd May 2013, 12:28
It can't be that hard, Mark Webber has won it twice. Its just a matter of having the bestest best car and steering it round the bends. I bet you and I could do it in a Red Bull. :p :)

If you started P1, I am sure you would.

henners88
23rd May 2013, 12:39
If you started P1, I am sure you would.
I think it is more likely I would enter Sainte Devote at 160mph and be so caught up in the fact I was in an F1 car I'd forget to brake.

On a serious note Monaco takes a serious level of concentration and even starting in P1 is not a guarantee you'll win the race. You've got to get to the end and not every driver has the ability to keep their head for the entire race distance. Webber showed promise even in a Williams and I'm not at all surprised he's won the race twice in a more capable car.

Ranger
23rd May 2013, 14:20
Hamilton is doing pretty good times 29 laps into a stint of super-softs.

Unless Mercedes are complete rubbish on their soft (ie. harder) tyres then they are looking very good to win.

Big Ben
23rd May 2013, 14:46

:laugh: yeah right... you wouldn't be first to the first corner... even from P1 in a Red Bull :laugh:

Tazio
23rd May 2013, 14:47
https://twitter.com/FansOfSebVettel/status/337303340444700672/photo/1

Apparently Vettel's Monaco helmet has a pin-up girl decal on it that is color-sensitive , and the girl undresses when the helmet reaches a certain temperature.
:s ailor: What a sick b@stard! ;)

dj_bytedisaster
23rd May 2013, 21:27
Many a people will be interested to see if Mr. Vettel gets somewhat hot-headed over the weekend :rotflmao:

Rollo
24th May 2013, 02:05
STZ2U_3SWco

That bird is Neo from the Matrix, I swear. I wonder just how close it got from being smeared along the pavement. Some cat in Monaco must be in danger now, because this bird has just stolen one of its nine lives.

The Black Knight
24th May 2013, 07:47
This is a really nice read from Maurice Hamilton.

Formula 1 | Blogs | Maurice Hamilton | ESPNF1.com (http://blogs.espnf1.com/Maurice-Hamilton/2013/05/the_mark_of_a_man.php)

I agree with him about the Helmet design issue. I sometimes find it hard to tell teammates apart. Rosberg and Hamilton being the main difficult ones.

Anyway, I love his description of François Cevert and his drive at the 1973 Monaco GP one lap down. A blast from the past, even before my time as a sperm but a great drive still remembered to this day! Although I don't rate Jean Eric Vergne as a drive,r he gets respect for his helmet design this weekend.

henners88
24th May 2013, 08:56
I fully agree with Maurice when it comes to helmet design. It should be distinctive and the drivers signature feature. I was disappointed when Hamilton changed to the helmet he has at Merc. A modern variant that has moved away from the simple classic design he has had for many years. Vettel hasn't really got a recognisable helmet because he started out with Red Bull silver and blue and has chosen to change the design every race since. Its just nice to look back and be able to instantly recognise the greats IMO.

AndyL
24th May 2013, 10:38
That bird is Neo from the Matrix, I swear. I wonder just how close it got from being smeared along the pavement. Some cat in Monaco must be in danger now, because this bird has just stolen one of its nine lives.

Apparently birds only have 2 lives... in P2 Mark Webber came in with a front wing covered in feathers.

ndegroot89
24th May 2013, 15:21
So excited for this race, I think we might see a surprise on the podium such as Nico Hulkenberg or Paul Di Resta.

teamleader
24th May 2013, 21:56
Rosberg or Hamilton will create a Trulli train :)

kfzmeister
24th May 2013, 21:56
https://twitter.com/FansOfSebVettel/status/337303340444700672/photo/1

Apparently Vettel's Monaco helmet has a pin-up girl decal on it that is color-sensitive , and the girl undresses when the helmet reaches a certain temperature.
:s ailor: What a sick b@stard! ;)

So cute to watch him finally hit puberty. Has he got a girlfriend??

truefan72
25th May 2013, 02:16
So cute to watch him finally hit puberty. Has he got a girlfriend??

far from it for me to defend vettel,
but I severly doubt the bloke has trouble with the ladies.
His status, wealth and profession all but ensure him a good time when he wants to ;)

Koz
25th May 2013, 03:01
far from it for me to defend vettel,
but I severly doubt the bloke has trouble with the ladies.
His status, wealth and profession all but ensure him a good time when he wants to ;)

But would he have one without his status, wealth and profession? :s mokin:

Captain Chaos
25th May 2013, 03:05
I've never gotten to see the Monaco GP. Who won last year?

Koz
25th May 2013, 03:15
Jean Claude Van Damme won Monaco last year.

Koz
25th May 2013, 03:17
Rosberg or Hamilton will create a Trulli train :)

http://www.myvan.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/schienen_unimog_thumb1.jpg

Captain Chaos
25th May 2013, 03:19
Are you serious?

Koz
25th May 2013, 03:33
Yes, absolutely.

Are you a spammer?

Google is your friend.

Captain Chaos
25th May 2013, 03:49
No, I'm just surprised to hear the name Jeanne Claude Van Damme in a Formula 1 competition.

I've never gotten the privilege of seeing an F1 GP up close. :(

markabilly
25th May 2013, 04:29
But would he have one without his status, wealth and profession? :s mokin:

well of course!!!!

he could rent donKey's---she comes real cheap when rented by the minute

markabilly
25th May 2013, 04:31
http://www.myvan.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/schienen_unimog_thumb1.jpg

wow, that is some boner he has got.....

Captain Chaos
25th May 2013, 04:34
Lol! XD

truefan72
25th May 2013, 10:40
big big shunt for massa
I'm not sure that car will ake qualy

F1 needs to bring back the 3rd spare car, so we don't see drivers miss the actual race

truefan72
25th May 2013, 11:03
oh dear me
Grosjean, my main man!
damn a 3rd rebuild for that lotus

and what was that swerve into hamilton?
yes drivers are allowed tos werve into that yellow line if need be, but thats if there are no cars there and if it is in an overtake attempt, but it certainly isn't the racing line.
very curious move indeed

so Massa, grosjean and maybe suitl might not be ready for Q1
once agian I'm baffled by Grosjean. immense talent dumb mistakes are costing the team this day. he certainly has the measure of kimi in terms of pace

alos rospberg lucky not to damage that rear suspension. If I was mercedes, Iwould be taking an extremely close look at that rear. even make a replacement if they have to. better that than a failure during qualy or the race.

Koz
25th May 2013, 11:16
oh dear me
Grosjean, my main man!
damn a 3rd rebuild for that lotus

and what was that swerve into hamilton?
yes drivers are allowed tos werve into that yellow line if need be, but thats if there are no cars there and if it is in an overtake attempt, but it certainly isn't the racing line.
very curious move indeed

so Massa, grosjean and maybe suitl might not be ready for Q1
once agian I'm baffled by Grosjean. immense talent dumb mistakes are costing the team this day. he certainly has the measure of kimi in terms of pace

alos rospberg lucky not to damage that rear suspension. If I was mercedes, Iwould be taking an extremely close look at that rear. even make a replacement if they have to. better that than a failure during qualy or the race.

More details please?

They're not show Practice sessions for this race.

Ranger
25th May 2013, 11:28
More details please?

They're not show Practice sessions for this race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOKX2qlK1Z4

truefan72
25th May 2013, 11:30
well he ruined the rear left suspension early ni practice then late in practice he pretty much smashed up the car again!!!
mass had a big crash and that car doesn;t seem likely to make it to q1, it would be a minor miracle if it did...being that half he team has to focus on alonso as well :rolleyes:
sutil had a big moment in casino square as well. although tat car might make it to Q1, but a lot of work to be done

an actione packed 3rd practice and rosberg a solid 7/10th faster than anyone with a 14:3 codemasters kinda time

truefan72
25th May 2013, 11:34
here is the massa crash

http://youtu.be/lQvkNf4W_6I?t=19s

Ranger
25th May 2013, 11:37
Just saw Massa's crash. That was massive, straight into the armco at 250+ km/h.

Koz
25th May 2013, 12:21
That a bad bad crash for Massa!

Ranger
25th May 2013, 12:27
And here it comes:

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BLG1Ee-CAAAYplp.jpg

steveaki13
25th May 2013, 12:45
That Massa shunt was bizzare.

I cant remember ever seeing a car hit the barrier on that side. The way he locked up is one thing, but he turned the steering wheel and the front wheels didnt move. I know he had locked fronts but surely while skidding the wheels should have turned and skidded sideways. There seemed so little response.

Just a thought.

Anyway surely Massa is going to have to start last, cant see that level of damage being repaired in time.

Koz
25th May 2013, 12:55
Yes, front right looks straight when the left looks to be angling to the right.

N4D13
25th May 2013, 12:56
Perhaps -just perhaps- he could have had a suspension failure after hitting the kerbs too hard? Massa is known to be overly aggressive on them.

dj_bytedisaster
25th May 2013, 13:00
LOL, Marussia - 20 m out of the pits and the shytebox goes up in smoke :rotflmao:

steveaki13
25th May 2013, 13:01
Yes, front right looks straight when the left looks to be angling to the right.

Yer I saw that.

They are blaming driver error. I am not sure

steveaki13
25th May 2013, 13:05
Looks hard out there

dj_bytedisaster
25th May 2013, 13:08
Yer I saw that.

They are blaming driver error. I am not sure

Driver error my arse. Lauda said the rear wheels never braked. I can't believe they would be so cynical to blame Massa. That'd be like blaming Silverstone '99 on Schumacher.

steveaki13
25th May 2013, 13:21
Van Der Garde though into Q2. well done.

Bianchi and Massa start at the back. Interesting

Q2. Raining again now

truefan72
25th May 2013, 13:23
oh my lord
DiResta a big time casualty in Q1
congrats to GeidoVdG!

kimi with the great escape, maldonado lovign these conditions

dj_bytedisaster
25th May 2013, 13:30
They could have just as well thrown some dice. Fantastic stuff...

longisland
25th May 2013, 13:33
This qualifying is pretty much a lottery. Congrats to Caterham. Hope to see slicks in Q3

longisland
25th May 2013, 13:38
Van in P6! Prepare for major scalps.

N. Jones
25th May 2013, 13:40
Go van der Garde Go!

N. Jones
25th May 2013, 13:42
Geido had nothing to lose and he let it rip. Well done, even if he was pushed to 13th, well done.

HE could be in line for a point if it continues to rain... Monaco is always a crap-shoot.

steveaki13
25th May 2013, 13:44
15th in the end for GvdG. Good effort

Ranger
25th May 2013, 13:44
Shame for Maldonado, he was looking every part a grand prix winner in Q1.

N. Jones
25th May 2013, 13:45
Yes, 15th. I just saw it on TV.
Thanks, Steve.

steveaki13
25th May 2013, 13:49
No worries. Times were rolling like a fruit machine.

Some drivers looking dejected, but who knows at Monaco. You could still get a podium.

Credit to the drivers for keeping the cars out of the walls in those conditions.

longisland
25th May 2013, 13:56
When it matters, Darth Vettel delivers

donKey jote
25th May 2013, 14:02
Nice Nico :up:

steveaki13
25th May 2013, 14:03
But Nico delivers more. Great job from Mercedes

donKey jote
25th May 2013, 14:11
Alo lost 5th by .002 :dozey:

ndegroot89
25th May 2013, 14:15
Mercedes did a fantastic job; I don't think it will hold up in the race though.

N4D13
25th May 2013, 14:16
That was quite an intense qualifying session! Good to see that Nico made it on top.

Does anyone know the weather forecast for tomorrow? It could be an absolute rollercoaster if it rains.

ndegroot89
25th May 2013, 14:20
That was quite an intense qualifying session! Good to see that Nico made it on top.

Does anyone know the weather forecast for tomorrow? It could be an absolute rollercoaster if it rains.
They said no rain for qualifying so I wouldn't believe anything the weather forecast says. lol

kfzmeister
25th May 2013, 14:48
Mercedes did a fantastic job; I don't think it will hold up in the race though.

Why not? Nico qualified 3rd last year and finished 2nd.

Why do you say so? He managed 51 laps on the softs.

I'd say he has a super chance at winning, unless Hamilton get's him by turn 1.

kfzmeister
25th May 2013, 14:50
When it matters, Darth Vettel delivers

Oh yeah? You mean today, right?

N4D13
25th May 2013, 14:51
Why not? Nico qualified 3rd last year and finished 2nd.

Why do you say so? He managed 51 laps on the softs.

I'd say he has a super chance at winning, unless Hamilton get's him by turn 1.
Will Lewis complain if the team makes him hold station behind Rosberg? That could be quite an awkward situation... :p

dj_bytedisaster
25th May 2013, 15:06
The cooler temperatures might play into Mercedes' hands. They also looked good on the long runs in the free practice. If there's any place where it could work for them, it's Monaco.

donKey jote
25th May 2013, 22:33
Will Lewis complain if the team makes him hold station behind Rosberg? That could be quite an awkward situation... :p

nah... Lewis? Whinge about a teammate in Monaco? :laugh:

Robinho
26th May 2013, 01:10
Ferrari and Massa both saying that it wasn't a technical failure in his crash

Sent from North Korea using the dark network

Tazio
26th May 2013, 12:56
Sup Gurlz? :wave:

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 13:01
hey taz :wave:

billy's missus finally let go of you ? :bandit:

veeten
26th May 2013, 13:06
typical Maldonado... :/

Koz
26th May 2013, 13:07
How long does a pit stop take here?

Tazio
Yea' [/I]gave her the slip ;)

donKey jote
boooring :p

Koz
SO Button whining again?

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 13:09
sounds like it :dozey:

longisland
26th May 2013, 13:10
It never cease to amaze me Button is able to whine while driving. Great hand-mouth coordination

dj_bytedisaster
26th May 2013, 13:11
Button's really becoming ridiculous this season...

Ranger
26th May 2013, 13:12
This will be all strategy, Mercedes are holding everyone up.

Maldonado and van der Garde setting fastest lap times.

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 13:13
stoopid pirelli... merc is driving as slow as bianchi.

stoopid Monaco train "race" :arrows: :andrea: :p

Robinho
26th May 2013, 13:15
Having seen Perez turn in on button twice when he got alongside, and then cut both chicanes as a result, I think I would have had a moan

Tazio
26th May 2013, 13:24
Alonso train ;)

dj_bytedisaster
26th May 2013, 13:27
I think I have a new hate word - pace management (!!!). How ****ing ridiculous is that?? In other words we're seeing a delta-time parade again :rolleyes:

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 13:31
looks like everyone's going for a 1 stop....
let's see how many fall off the cliff :andrea:

ShiftingGears
26th May 2013, 13:32
The racing is a bit farcical at the moment.

dj_bytedisaster
26th May 2013, 13:34
Ok, Nico, you may go a wee bit faster over the next few laps - this is ridiculous. Why do they even broadcast these team radios? They're making a mockery of F1 :mad: I like to see Nico take the race, but watching this 'race' is like getting served a slightly stinking fish with a stale beer :rolleyes:

Tazio
wake me up when something happens, this race bro sucks :angryfire

donKey jote
stoopid pirelli + stoopid monaco = :s nore: :andrea:

Ranger
The harder tyre is done for Ricciardo after 23 laps. This will be interesting.

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 13:35
they should force 5 stops in Monaco :idea: :p

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 13:36
or turn the sprinklers on :idea: :arrows:

Tazio
26th May 2013, 13:37
Maldo at it again.

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 13:37
or just bring out the safety car for the heck of it :idea: :andrea:

nah, bad idea... it would probably lap the field :dozey:

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 13:39
way to go Massa :dozey:

Ranger
26th May 2013, 13:40
Somehow doubt any/all of the cars will be able to do 50 laps on the hard tyre. :\

dj_bytedisaster
26th May 2013, 13:42
Merc suddenly 3 seconds faster than 5 laps ago. You got to be kidding me...

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 13:43
again way to go Massa :dozey:

tjoepie
26th May 2013, 13:45
After lurking here for a while this race has forced me out of hiding...

Since DRS, Monaco races had overtaking for the first time in living memory... But this seems to be a farce! I'm following on espnf1's text commentary. I could go down to the pub (it's 2 blocks away) but I've got a respiratory infection, and eh this race sounds dreadfully boring...

Ranger
Hamilton just got burnt there, he got out in 4th!

Koz
And Merc suddenly done?

dj_bytedisaster
looks like he made the same 'driver error' twice this weekend. Almost exactly the same shunt as fp3

ShiftingGears
26th May 2013, 13:46
What a gift for Mercedes.

Tazio
26th May 2013, 13:47
:grenade: Felipe baby

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 13:48
stoopid Mercedes stoopid SC lucky Nico

Robinho
26th May 2013, 13:48
Not such a gift for Hamilton, lost 2 places

dj_bytedisaster
26th May 2013, 13:49
I think Ferrari have a few questions to answer. They said it was a driver error in FP3, now he has exactly the same shunt at exactly the same place again. Dat aint no driving error, bro :rolleyes:

Robinho
26th May 2013, 13:50
I can see this knocking Massa right back to 2011, any confidence he's built back must be shot by the 2 strange, identical and very large accidents

truefan72
26th May 2013, 13:50
wtf????

why did the SC release the red bulls and why were they speeding around?
ridiculous
hamilton getting screwed

the red bulls should be gettingf a penalty for speeding under safety car conditions
setting purple times in sectors???

ShiftingGears
26th May 2013, 13:51
After lurking here for a while this race has forced me out of hiding...

Since DRS, Monaco races had overtaking for the first time in living memory... But this seems to be a farce! I'm following on espnf1's text commentary. I could go down to the pub (it's 2 blocks away) but I've got a respiratory infection, and eh this race sounds dreadfully boring...

Yep, even when there wasn't much passing in years gone by, I could at least be entertained by drivers going flat out here. Not so this year.

Tazio
26th May 2013, 13:51
Massa reverts to old form :down:

Ranger
26th May 2013, 13:54
Massa reverts to old form :down:

Why don't you wait and find out the cause before blaming someone who just slammed into a wall at 250km/h?

It was very strange.

truefan72
26th May 2013, 13:55
Why don't you wait and find out the cause before blaming someone who just slammed into a wall at 250km/h?

It was very strange.

massa is known for strange incidents
I think it is driver error

dj_bytedisaster
26th May 2013, 13:56
wtf????

why did the SC release the red bulls and why were they speeding around?
ridiculous
hamilton getting screwed

the red bulls should be gettingf a penalty for speeding under safety car conditions
setting purple times in sectors???

There are no regulations about the speed under safety car conditions unless you are directly behind it, when the fat Merc will decide how fast you go.

Tazio
26th May 2013, 13:57

It was very strange.Typical Massa :dozey:

truefan72
26th May 2013, 13:58
I also blame the race aneginner for telling hamilton to gap rosberg, instead of stacking them, poor call
poor call indeed!

it as another blown call by hamilton's engineer
SMH

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 13:59
wake me up 5 laps from the end, when the tyres start going :dozey:

truefan72
26th May 2013, 14:03
webber holding up hamilton

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 14:03
rosberg will win but vettel will get it on the grünen Tisch :p

truefan72
26th May 2013, 14:05
red bulls are strugglening

who would have thought that !

Koz
Yay! Go Perez!

donKey jote
pérez :D

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 14:06
Button will be fuming :laugh:

dj_bytedisaster
26th May 2013, 14:06
They're driving 1:24's - that's 5 (!!) seconds slower than before the safety car. *facepalm*

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 14:07
no Button, it wasn't because of your nose :p

Tazio
26th May 2013, 14:07
Perez ;)

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 14:08
Pérez is having fun :p

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 14:11
red flag balls :dozey:

Ranger
Red Flag.

2011 again, free set of tyres for all?

gm99
Maldonado...

truefan72
red flag!

donKey jote
he's ok :)

dj_bytedisaster
26th May 2013, 14:12
This 'race' turns into a complete shambles :rolleyes:

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 14:12
stop the race now and put it out of it's misery :p

Tazio
26th May 2013, 14:13
Great now they are going to extend the torture :p

longisland
26th May 2013, 14:15
Poor Maldonado. Chiton isn't paying attention

dj_bytedisaster
26th May 2013, 14:15
RB getting a free tire change. Maybe we finally see someone actually racing after the restart. I won't hold my breath though...

jens
26th May 2013, 14:17
Red flag, in for a minute. :)

Great race so far.
Hope Nico can win it.
Great stuff by Pérez. Absolutely adore this young guy, taking the battle to his team-mate.

Tazio
26th May 2013, 14:18
Soft or SS?

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 14:19
I reckon Button is secretly glad to have Checo in front and not behind for the rest of the race :p

Tazio
26th May 2013, 14:20
Massa, Chilton donkeys

dj_bytedisaster
You have a strange definition of 'great' Jens :rolleyes:
Only because the winner might be sympathetic and from what it looks like pretty much a crowd favourite doesn't make this 'race' any good. It's been a ridiculous farce so far with drivers only going as fast as the mufti's behind the pitwall allowing them to.

longisland
So should Fred give the position to Checo?

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 14:22
possibly, and let him take out Kimi instead :andrea: :p

Ranger
26th May 2013, 14:23
Not sure what Chilton or Maldonado were doing there.

Ranger
26th May 2013, 14:25
So should Fred give the position to Checo?

Apparently the FIA has said so, according to Whitmarsh via Chinese whispers.

jens
Only because the winner might be sympathetic and from what it looks like pretty much a crowd favourite doesn't make this 'race' any good. It's been a ridiculous farce so far with drivers only going as fast as the mufti's behind the pitwall allowing them to.

Umm, no. I just personally find different aspects to value. And have a different mindset/attitude. :) I think I have adopted a bit of Murray Walker's attitude. Watched a lot of races with his commentary. And he always found racing fascinating.

Let's see.
Opening laps were great. Vettel was having a look at Hamilton, Alonso racing Räikkönen. No position changes, but drivers were feisty. The same after the re-start. Huge train of cars - can someone make a move stick?

Then the game of strategy. I was actually pretty anxious before pitstops. How long will the tyres last? When to make a pitstop to get a good track position and avoid traffic? You have to time the pitstop absolutely perfectly. Webber pitted earlier - can he jump Vettel? Etc.

Moment of the race - Hamilton and Webber going side-by-side in Rascasse without contact. Didn't think that could possibly happen! Impressive piece of driving!

Not to mention that it is just awesome to see cars flying so close to the barriers at such speeds.

donKey jote
possibly, and let him take out Kimi instead :andrea: :p

confirmed :rolleyes:

Ranger
26th May 2013, 14:26

I'm enjoying it.

Robinho
26th May 2013, 14:28
Me too

Rollo
I think that this again proves the inherent design flaws in not covering the wheels. Sticky rubber hits sticky rubber; which throws cars into the air and we get a red flag. That's just dumb.

donKey jote
Red Bull sure got lucky with the free tyres :dozey:

Tazio
26th May 2013, 14:29
Great moves by Perez. He's my driver of the race so far. :bulb:

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 14:30
go Checo, give us more :D

N4D13
26th May 2013, 14:33
Red Bull sure got lucky with the free tyres :dozey:
Not only with the tyres, I think. Pitting them right before the safety car came out was the right decision, but you need to keep in mind that was allowed them to get in front of Hamilton was the fact that they reached the safety car and were told to go, which (as far as I know) meant that they didn't have to be racing to a delta time any more and they could push as much as they wanted. Meanwhile, Lewis had to drive to the delta time and so he was unable to defend himself.

Koz
So will Perez take Kimi out?

dj_bytedisaster
Me too

Good for you :wave:
As it looks now, the 'right' guy might be winning - would love to see Nico winning again - but the race itself was quite a damp squib so far with all the delta-time dawdling.

Whyzars
26th May 2013, 14:34
I think that this again proves the inherent design flaws in not covering the wheels. Sticky rubber hits sticky rubber; which throws cars into the air and we get a red flag. That's just dumb.

I always thought they bought red flags out in Monaco for drivers to take a bathroom break.

longisland
26th May 2013, 14:34
IMHO, there should be sand bags at the bus stop. It's not glamorous but will penalize cars cutting into the chicane. Armco barriers would cause too much disruptions

Tazio
26th May 2013, 14:35
If Alonso gets a spot off the start he's still screwed :idea:

Tazio
26th May 2013, 14:36
Ok he already gave the spot back

Koz
Kimi on primes?

Ranger
Raikkonen on soft, all other contenders are on super-soft for 30 laps.

Far from over...

donKey jote
phew, Checo gets past Alo without a shunt ;) :p :andrea:

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 14:39
Alo please don't do a Pérez ! :eek: :andrea: :p

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 14:44
Sutil punks Vergne and Button :crazy:

dj_bytedisaster
26th May 2013, 14:44
Sutil vs Button :eek: There be racing here, Captain :bounce:

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 14:45
Alo now in a Checo - Sutil sandwich :uhoh: :vader: :p

Tazio
26th May 2013, 14:45
Slash :p :

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 14:46
come on stewards, be consistent: drive through for both Pérez and Rakka :p

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 14:48
"this idiot" :p

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 14:50
slash punks Alo :up:

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 14:50
nice trick with the steering FI :up:

dj_bytedisaster
26th May 2013, 14:51
Sutil http://www.gtrp.de/forums/images/smilies/anbet21.gif http://www.gtrp.de/forums/images/smilies/anbet21.gif

It's finally becoming a race. Now we just need someone to tell Checo that the transparent bit of the helmet goes to the front :rotflmao:

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 14:52
Sutil driver of the race so far :D

truefan72
26th May 2013, 14:52
mercedes needs to fire hamiltons raceengineer, whata an idiot!
slow down how?
with kimi behind and a podium available?
unbeleivable

truefan72
26th May 2013, 14:54
rosberg crusing to victory as the two red bulls run interferance

Ranger
26th May 2013, 14:55
Rosberg is gone, Vettel is backing the field up at the moment.

truefan72
26th May 2013, 14:56
hamilton should get on the radio and do a vettel "get those rbr's out of the way they are too slow!"

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 14:56
apart from Checo and Sutil, a race to forget so far :s nore:

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 14:58
another SC :s nore:

Ranger
26th May 2013, 14:58
Dumb accident. Safety car.

Four accidents in the weekend, some sort of record?

dj_bytedisaster
26th May 2013, 14:59
Grosjean http://files.homepagemodules.de/b168419/f2t3p111n141.gif

ShiftingGears
26th May 2013, 14:59
Awesome driving from Grosjean.

dj_bytedisaster
26th May 2013, 15:00
mercedes needs to fire hamiltons raceengineer, whata an idiot!
slow down how?
with kimi behind and a podium available?
unbeleivable

Blame Pirelli, not the engineer. "You need those tires at the end" my arse :rolleyes:

longisland
26th May 2013, 15:00
So was it Grosjean brain fade or Ricciardo brake testing?

Robinho
26th May 2013, 15:01
Messy one for sure, strange accident

truefan72
26th May 2013, 15:03
So was it Grosjean brain fade or Ricciardo brake testing?

ricciardo brake testing in my opinion

dj_bytedisaster
26th May 2013, 15:04
Another suicidal bird :laugh:

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 15:04
Kimi overheating :devil:

ShiftingGears
26th May 2013, 15:06
ricciardo brake testing in my opinion

Why would any F1 driver with half a brain brake test a driver directly behind them approaching the Nouvelle Chicane?

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 15:06
now should be sprint time, surely :dozey:

dj_bytedisaster
26th May 2013, 15:10
Kimi for President :laugh: He punked the little **** something fierce - great stuff.

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 15:10
teehee Kimi give Checo a lesson :p

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 15:12
Alo is having a mare :dozey:

Tazio
26th May 2013, 15:12
Perez is a menace :eek: Nice move by button!

dj_bytedisaster
26th May 2013, 15:13
is it just me or is Alonso looking utterly ordinary this weekend. He's really getting it rectally today :|

gm99
26th May 2013, 15:14
Ultimately, Kimi punished himself, though.

Crocone
26th May 2013, 15:14
Perez should be stabbed!

Koz
26th May 2013, 15:16
Perez should be stabbed!

Give me his address, I'll stab the little **** myself.

dj_bytedisaster
Finally the little **** is gone. Whoever signed that window licking idiot up for McLaren should be shot in front of his family

longisland
Pay back from Button. Checo is literally pushed out

Ranger
26th May 2013, 15:17
I'm not sure about that one actually... both Kimi and Perez moved across very late.

Tazio
26th May 2013, 15:17
Perez should be stabbed!Or Slashed :dozey: :p :

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 15:18
lucky lucky vettel :dozey:

longisland
26th May 2013, 15:20
When it really matters, Darth Vettel delivers

donKey jote
26th May 2013, 15:21
well done Nico :up:

lucky RB

nice Sutil :up:

dj_bytedisaster
26th May 2013, 15:22
NICO :bounce:
http://www.gtrp.de/forums/images/smilies/slayer.gifhttp://www.gtrp.de/forums/images/smilies/slayer.gifhttp://www.gtrp.de/forums/images/smilies/slayer.gif

Koz
Raikkonen! ****ing raikkonen!

Crocone
Raikkonen in points! How did he doít?

pino
Well done Nico :up: however the real winner is Vettel :s

Koz
Yay! Go kimi!

Tazio
26th May 2013, 15:25
congrats to Nico, well done. :up:

truefan72
26th May 2013, 15:26
dissapointing gp for me because hamilton lost out after the first safety car
only thing encouraging is that the tyre degradation seems to be a bit better now for me

oh well on to Canada
congrats rosberg

Tazio
26th May 2013, 15:27
See ya'awl boys in Canada :wave:

truefan72
26th May 2013, 15:28
Well done Nico :up: however the real winner is Vettel :s

indeed

Robinho
26th May 2013, 15:28
Cracking last few laps from Kimi, the consecutive points finishes run continues. Great drive from Rosberg, utterly dominant since 1st practice.

kfzmeister
26th May 2013, 15:57
Vettel is such a dick. Can't be gracious even during the interview by saying the Mercedes' were "Busses just cruising around"
This compounds the fact that he cannot lose.
I hope Alonso creams him at the end of this year.

pino
26th May 2013, 15:59
Finally the little **** is gone. Whoever signed that window licking idiot up for McLaren should be shot in front of his family

There's no need for such a rude language :down: so don't let me read it again...

Vaggelis27
26th May 2013, 17:37
Monaco 2013 - Raikkonen's Last 2 Laps - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxTgZzR2Tn0&feature=youtu.be)

dj_bytedisaster
26th May 2013, 17:41
Monaco 2013 - Raikkonen's Last 2 Laps - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxTgZzR2Tn0&feature=youtu.be)

That's what cars and drivers were capable of. Now compare it to the junk we've been exposed to the 76 laps before that. Sums it up, really.

tjoepie
26th May 2013, 17:56
Bravo Nico!! Finally managed to hold on to one your poles in the race! Maybe it would've been worth infecting people after all...

N4D13
26th May 2013, 18:37
Monaco GP: Sergio Perez blames Kimi Raikkonen for collision - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107695)

What do you guys think about this? Personally, I think that Pérez was at fault - he just dived in from way too far.

Also, do you think that it was appropriate for the FIA to order Button and Alonso to surrender their positions to Pérez? Checo's overtaking manoeuvres on Button and Alonso were a bit over the line IMHO. He just dived into the apex and it was the other driver's decision whether to take the corner and crash into Checo or to cut the chicane and be forced to surrender the position afterwards. They could rightly say that were forced to cut the chicane in order to avoid an accident - the question is whether they were entitled to hang on to their position or not.

A FONDO
26th May 2013, 18:53
Perez at least tried to make this boring "race" a bit interesting. He went too deep into it but I am still more pleased with him than the cruising top 4.

christophulus
26th May 2013, 19:03
I think it's time Monaco and F1 have a bit of a rethink.

They need to see if they can tweak the track a bit - a couple of easy ones would be removing the bump before Mirabeau to allow people to race side by side and maybe doing something with the last corner to help people get on the power earlier. I know this would cost a few quid in reprofiling the roads and whatever but Monaco is hardly poverty stricken. Besides, Bernie and friends wouldn't lose Monaco for anything so they could always stump up the cost.

Alternatively why not turn it into a non-championship race? The drivers and teams would get the prestige and glamour that comes from winning in Monaco (maybe add in a big cash prize or something) but perhaps we'd see drivers a bit more willing to take a chance rather than sitting back and settling for second.

Sadly though the racing in Monaco nowadays seems to be a bit of a noisy distraction from all the meet and greets that seem to go on all weekend so I won't hold my breath.

dj_bytedisaster
26th May 2013, 19:04
Perez at least tried to make this boring "race" a bit interesting. He went too deep into it but I am still more pleased with him than the cruising top 4.

Sutil managed to overtake without piling into people.

dj_bytedisaster
26th May 2013, 19:09
I think it's time Monaco and F1 have a bit of a rethink.

No rethink needed. It's the one race in the calendar where drivers actually have to work for an overtake instead of just pushing a button to cruise past. The racing was rotten because people were dawdling about to make the sorry excuses for tires last. Taking Monaco out of F1 is like taking the woman out of Sex. Can still be fun, but it ain't the same...