PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Hamilton Balls of Steel

racingrivalsDOT
8th April 2007, 08:13
What a start by Lewis Hamilton!!! Get in My son

truefan72
8th April 2007, 09:50
what a great race for him, once again
I am baffled by Ron Dennis strtegy with regard to his pit stop. He pitted later and just like Australia should have pitted later too on the second stint. He was closing in on Alonso and then they call him in early and bring him out in the middle of traffic. I just don't understand the strategy there.

I think they were favoring Alonso just like Australia, and just listening to his radio conversation he said..." next time a want to win..."

Go Hamilton Go!!!

F1boat
8th April 2007, 09:57
I am baffled by Ron Dennis strtegy with regard to his pit stop. He pitted later and just like Australia should have pitted later too on the second stint. He was closing in on Alonso and then they call him in early and bring him out in the middle of traffic. I just don't understand the strategy there.

He was very light in the middle stint. In the first and third one Alonso crushed him. Alonso was untouchable.

BeansBeansBeans
8th April 2007, 10:16
Alonso was untouchable.

Correct.

Hamilton was superb today, but it would have taken more than a favourable pit strategy to beat Alonso on this form.

jens
8th April 2007, 10:28
We have seen many quick rookies joining Formula One in previous years, but the difference between Hamilton and other rookies is that he is extremely matured. Kovalainen, Kubica and last year Rosberg, Speed, Liuzzi made several mistakes, but Hamilton rarely puts a wheel wrong. And I think it's amazing, because you don't see many rookies being utterly confident and race against rivals like an experienced guy. Massa looked like a real rookie against Lewis, although in theory one would expect it to turn out otherwise.

That's why Hamilton looks like the most promising rookie at the moment and a very possible future WDC contender in a competitive car.

truefan72
8th April 2007, 10:43
he wasn't light on the second stint as all his pit times indicated. He was heavier on the first but put in enough to be brought in around lap 41, but RD chose to bring him in earlier, and with an immense amount of traffic in front. He pretty much spent the rest of the race going through the cars and losing plenty of time to Alonso.

I am not saying he would have won, but he did have the fastest lap with a slightly heavier fuel load than when Alonso had his fastest lap. He was clocking in fast laps at a consistent basis in the second stint and then was brought in ealry.

His out laps were hampered by traffic and that was it!. Once he knew that Alonso was about 10-12 sec. out he put it into cruise control, until Kimmi charged forward.

Anyway, he probably was bound to finish 2nd or 3rd anyway, but it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if he came in as scheduled on lap 41.

btw. I really wonder how FA feels about Hamilton's pace. I am not sure he expected such a challenge this early. I want true competiton at McClaren. The true test for Hamilton is if he demands true competition, refuses to be FA's #2, and eventually tries to outdo him. All indications are he is on his way. I want to see the fighting spirit and not the "it's all about the team" crap we hear from #2's

BeansBeansBeans
8th April 2007, 10:47
btw. I really wonder how FA feels about Hamilton's pace. I am not sure he expected such a challenge this early. I want true competiton at McClaren. The true test for Hamilton is if he demands true competition, refuses to be FA's #2, and eventually tries to outdo him. All indications are he is on his way. I want to see the fighting spirit and not the "it's all about the team" crap we hear from #2's

It's difficult to predict, but I think Alonso has a very positive outlook when faced with a challenge. Having a quick team-mate will probably make him raise his game even higher. It certainly did today.

F1boat
8th April 2007, 11:04
Correct.

Hamilton was superb today, but it would have taken more than a favourable pit strategy to beat Alonso on this form.

When Fernando has a good day, he is invincible. And Sepang is one of his fave tracks. remember his first Pole?

truefan72
8th April 2007, 11:06
It's difficult to predict, but I think Alonso has a very positive outlook when faced with a challenge. Having a quick team-mate will probably make him raise his game even higher. It certainly did today.

Yes I agree, but he also has a streak of arrogance in him that would get on the radio and complain about Lewis attacking him...ala Button ( couldn't resist) We just have to see how the season progresses. If Hamilton get's a win in the next couple of races or stays within striking distance of the WDC then the true dynamic will emerge.

savage86
8th April 2007, 11:07
Alonso really knows how to hookup a racing car. In time Lewis will learn how he likes the car a bit more too.
Its so exciting to have a British Driver doing this well and to fight so hard in only his second race.

F1boat
8th April 2007, 11:08
Yes I agree, but he also has a streak of arrogance in him that would get on the radio and complain about Lewis attacking him...ala Button ( couldn't resist) We just have to see how the season progresses. If Hamilton get's a win in the next couple of races or stays within striking distance of the WDC then the true dynamic will emerge.

McLaren IMO will favour Alonso this year.

Ian McC
8th April 2007, 11:13
Brilliant performance by Lewis again, really did look like he was fighting that car a lot before the first stop.

Valve Bounce
8th April 2007, 11:20
I remember posting, not that long ago asking what this guy is like because we don't get the support races in Oz. Now I know - this guy not only has balls, he is fast, and he can race under pressure. Eat your heart out, Massa.

stevewf1
8th April 2007, 11:51
Absolutely outstanding job from Lewis yet again! To pass both Ferraris into turns 1 and 2 like that - what maturity! He played a huge part in McLarens 1-2 by mixing it with the Ferraris and forcing Massa into a mistake. He cant be expected to match Alonso yet, Lewis has done two GPs, Alonso is a double world champion! However Hamiltons radio message to his team at the end of the race was very telling. He wasnt satisfied with 2nd, he badly wants to win!

ArrowsFA1
8th April 2007, 11:54
3rd...2nd...The rate Hamilton's going he's due the win in Bahrain :D

I catch myself thinking that, then think 'hold on', 'the kid's good, but it's still early to be thinking in terms of wins' but then again he just looks capable of anything. Things could not have gone better for him so far, but at some point...you'd think...he'll have a tough weekend and struggle.

So far he looks like he belongs where he is, and it is fantastic to watch.

BeansBeansBeans
8th April 2007, 11:58
In F1 Racing Magazine there is a new feature where Kimi picks his 'move of the race'.

In the Australian GP review he awarded it to Lewis for his move round the outside of Kubica and Alonso.

It will be interesting to see who he picks in the Malaysian GP review....

Valve Bounce
8th April 2007, 12:08
In F1 Racing Magazine there is a new feature where Kimi picks his 'move of the race'.

In the Australian GP review he awarded it to Lewis for his move round the outside of Kubica and Alonso.

It will be interesting to see who he picks in the Malaysian GP review....

It's not just that he passed the two Ferraris, he then raced in a most mature and capable manner (I was going to say experienced but that would not be fair to Hamilton). He is simply naturally gifted, even without the F1 experience.

It is interesting that pitpass has an article by one of their guys coming to our forum to read the thread about whether this guy is overated. Well, just ask Jean Todt. :p :

Ian McC
8th April 2007, 12:15
He is certainly mature beyond his years and experience, listening to him when he is interviewed only backs that up.

EuroTroll
8th April 2007, 13:48
I have to say I'm impressed too, now, and my faith is growing. He's not really near Alonso and Kimi in terms of racing speed yet, but noone should expect him to be, either. He's a rookie, after all.

But he's already shown himself to be a fine racer with some clever moves in both Australia and Malaysia.

He was lucky to get 2nd today - with a healthy engine, Kimi would surely have beaten him. But two well-earned podiums in his first two races is a very impressive achievement, indeed.

Donney
8th April 2007, 15:02
Amazing race from Hamilton, he drove a very intelligent race and never looked weak under pressure. I think he's shown some drivers how to drive when you are under attck and get the best of it, Trulli and Fisichella come to mind. He has also shown that Massa is not that good, or at least not as intelligent.

Great job! I love what he can bring to F1 in years to come.

wedge
8th April 2007, 15:48
To be critical of LH today, his last stint was poor. He dialled the correctly for the middle stint but the car didn't work well on the last stint with the harder tyres.

TBH, I hate words like 'mature' and 'experienced' to describe LH.

LH is a pure racer, cut from the same cloth as Gilles V, Senna, Mansell, Schumi.

LH will fight hard for position as hard as anyone. More than anything it takes intelligence, guts and balls of steel!

Hey Valve Bounce, this is what you've been missing!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5b8D0g0SmB0

VkmSpouge
8th April 2007, 15:59
Hamilton did a very good job. Although he clearly wasn't on the pace of Alonso, he did have to take a heck of a lot of pressure from the two Ferraris and he didn't make a mistake. That's his first race at Sepang too, can't wait until he gets to tracks that he is familiar with.

veeten
8th April 2007, 16:06
He was lucky to get 2nd today - with a healthy engine, Kimi would surely have beaten him. But two well-earned podiums in his first two races is a very impressive achievement, indeed.

No, but after watching him so totally frustrate his teamate just ahead of him, Kimi did the smart thing and stayed just within striking distance of Hamilton.

It's nice to watch a young Clark, Hill, or Stewart 'grow up' before your very eyes, and Lewis definately fits this instance. I just sincerely hope that Dennis doesn't lose sight of this, and pays for it in watching him win WDC's... for someone else.

Tazio
8th April 2007, 16:13
I remember posting, not that long ago asking what this guy is like because we don't get the support races in Oz. Now I know - this guy not only has balls, he is fast, and he can race under pressure. Eat your heart out, Massa.
Total agreement with you here!
I would like to add that the kid has incredible instincts! His passes on turn one lap one in both his races was very savvy! The move he made in Oz was most impressive.
This guy is the real guacamole!
My only criticism, and it's a small one, is that he could be more consistently smooth over the course of a full race!
Good show lad!!

Ian McC
8th April 2007, 16:20
Hey Valve Bounce, this is what you've been missing!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5b8D0g0SmB0

Aaah yes, that got the biggest cheer at the British GP :D

I think a lot of Hamilton merchandise we be sold this year ;)

aryan
8th April 2007, 16:22
Massa looked like a real rookie against Lewis

This should be designated quote of the week.

Today we also saw why FM can never be WDC.

Alonso is quicker, but LH's move on the first corner, overtaking two Ferraris on the outside while he was slower and heavier than both of them, was the move of the race. This guy is pure racer, with instincts and intelligence. If Massa has improved this much in 3-4 years, I can only wonder where LH will end up.

He will win a race this season, that's for sure.

race aficionado
8th April 2007, 17:08

I catch myself thinking that, then think 'hold on', 'the kid's good, but it's still early to be thinking in terms of wins' but then again he just looks capable of anything. Things could not have gone better for him so far, but at some point...you'd think...he'll have a tough weekend and struggle.

Not only is she fantastic to watch, he is an atriculate and obviously smart kid that has his head very well in place. His post race interview was a treat and i loved how he described his battles with Massa and how he tricked Massa a couple of times to avoid being passed and even appologized for having been a part of Massa's grass adventure but eneded up saying that that was part of the deal in racin' . . . or something like that. :p

This kid is great, and so important for F1.

:s mokin:

WileE
8th April 2007, 17:16

...and he's shown he belongs in F1.I just hope he gets a win before the year is out.He looks more than capable of doing that...

Big Ben
8th April 2007, 18:53

I think they were favoring Alonso just like Australia, and just listening to his radio conversation he said..." next time a want to win..."

Go Hamilton Go!!!

That strategy kept him ahead of kimi after the second pit stop. I think that the purpose of it... and it was a very smart move.

Robinho
8th April 2007, 18:55
he's made a fantastic start, hopefully he can keep his head up when the bad weekend comes, and it will, although everything i've seen about his work ethic makes me belive he can fight through anything.

todays first few hundred yards were awesome, he had no right to get past both Ferraris, who conceivably were not looking behind, only in front, but the way he passed them both and then made the move stick over the course of the next 1 and half hours was brilliant.

and he certainly made Massa look like the junior on the grid, fast he may be, but if faced with adversity he too often fails rather than triumphs through it.

i don't see Massa winning on any other occasion other than when he starts at the front in the fastest car (and not even everytime then, check today!)

fizzicist
8th April 2007, 19:33
I don't really need to say much do I. We've known he was the business for years now!

My only criticism of Lewis is that he needs to learn set the car up to be a little less oversteery, as the state of his rear tyres at the end of the last stint was pretty scary.

however, he's out there doing it, and we're all in here talking about it, so who are we to criticise. Lewis is staggering at times - that first stint was one of the best displays of racing I have ever seen.

wedge
8th April 2007, 22:39
My only criticism of Lewis is that he needs to learn set the car up to be a little less oversteery, as the state of his rear tyres at the end of the last stint was pretty scary.

That's how he likes to drive the car!

Just like Schumi and Mansell LH turns in early, carries loads of speed and hangs on to the car with the throttle through hi-speed corners!

Obviously with that kind driving style its not very kind to the rears. LH just needs to learn how to set the car up and refine his driving style so as not to destroy the rears.

veeten
8th April 2007, 22:51
Okay, folks... let's lay odds on when it gets said.

'He's auto racing's answer to Tiger Woods...'

You know it's coming, I know it's coming....

BeansBeansBeans
8th April 2007, 23:09

Coming?

As an avid reader of the British press, I can tell you that that horse bolted long ago my friend.

Zico
8th April 2007, 23:09

Was thinking that earlier, I'd be surprised if it hasnt already been said.

For those of you who havent seen it. Heres a link to The failed moves by Massa.. http://youtube.com/watch?v=mKwwaO-7u1M

janneppi
9th April 2007, 17:13
I just can't help but smile thinking about the "article" on sniffpetrol about him, i'll wait for the end of the season on my opinion. ;M)

N. Jones
9th April 2007, 17:40
McLaren IMO will favour Alonso this year.

I agree. FA is the defending champ and while Hamilton looks great I think it is best to err on the side of caution. If Hamilton keeps getting podiums and Alonso falters along the way then I can see them letting Hamilton go for race wins (not saying that they aren't already).

AT least we now know why Ron Dennis was so eager to get Lewis in a race seat!!!

Jag_Warrior
9th April 2007, 21:13

Too late. That title belongs to Greg Ray. Jack A-root said so. :monkeedan

kalasend
9th April 2007, 21:56
AT least we now know why Ron Dennis was so eager to get Lewis in a race seat!!!

Imagine if RD had put PDLR in the car instead...wonder what PDLR and Paffet is thinking at the moment.

Btw, this race reminded me of Macau GP 2 years ago. The local media were all reporting about the 2nd generations of drivers as prospect winners. Then Hamilton came from unknown (to the Asian continent, at least) to snatch pole and went on the win.

Would have loved to hear from the likes of Piquet and Rosberg seniors about Hamilton's rookie year. :D