PDA

View Full Version : I will probably be banned for this but another thread about golf

Brown, Jon Brow
12th May 2013, 21:06
Searching into getting a VW Golf so I thought I'd ask you petrolhead experts who know everything some questions. :D

Ideally I'd like a Mk6 with no more that 40,000 miles and would prefer not to spend anymore than £9 000. Not bothered about anything too racey, just something that will be comfortable on the motorway, economical and won't make me look like a prat.

1) 1.2 TSi s - 80bhp in a car this size? Surely this car would need a push with that engine. But the more powerful 1.2 TSi 105 would make some sense?

2) 1.6 TDi s - 89bhp in a car this size? Or would the torque make up for that?

3) Seat Leon instead?

race aficionado
12th May 2013, 21:36
Go Tiger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

odykas
12th May 2013, 23:00
Golf is a boring car and also a boring sport :s nore:

henners88
13th May 2013, 07:56
I love golf but its too expensive. I play probably once a month and only when I get a freebie round on a clients account. Cheapskate. :)

donKey jote
13th May 2013, 10:16
1) 1.2 TSi s - 80bhp in a car this size? Surely this car would need a push with that engine. But the more powerful 1.2 TSi 105 would make some sense?

I have a couple of 1.2 TSi's at work that accelerate 0-100kmh in under 4 seconds.... with the engine in idle ! :andrea: :laugh:

crs5Huvrn7s

odykas
13th May 2013, 11:40
I blame that crappy tyres :devil:

D-Type
13th May 2013, 17:30
I have not been impressed by Volkswagen's legendary build quality and user friendly design.

I had an early Golf which kept breaking clutch pedals because when you changed to RHD the cable came through part of the bulkhead that flexed. The car was six years old before VW revised the design of the cable, putting in an extra swivel that accommodated the flexing. They should never have sold a car like that. Once they found the fault it should have been remedied immediately and not taken six years.

Then recently I had a Polo. The lambda probe went. OK that can happen on any car, but it turned out that there was absolutely no slack in the wiring and the garage had to dismantle half the loom. Design for easy maintenance? No!
And the final straw - a headlamp went. Again that can happen on any car. But, to remove the bulb requres disconnecting and removing the battery. And with modern electronics disconnecting the battery disables half the system. Agarage job at £stupid per hour just to change a light bulb.

Petty points, I know, but it all adds to the cost of motoring. I think VW have lost their way.

Brown, Jon Brow
14th May 2013, 17:14
Either I'm being tight with my budget or I'm being greedy but I just can't quite find the spec of car I'd like for the money. Ideally I'd like a 1.4TSI or a 1.6 TDI.

How much can you realistically get off the price through negotiating?