PDA

View Full Version : Worst Ever Driver or Team

RaikkonenRules
6th April 2007, 18:09
Who do you think was the worst ever driver or team in either Cup or Busch.

Sparky1329
6th April 2007, 19:42
Buttsnot Jones.

RaikkonenRules
6th April 2007, 20:23
Buttsnot Jones.

:laugh: bit of an unfortunate name. I'm guessing it's your name for him.

Alexamateo
6th April 2007, 20:25
L. W. Wright, Music City Racing, Talladega, May 1982

How's that for an obscure reference? :D

Sparky1329
6th April 2007, 21:17
:laugh: bit of an unfortunate name. I'm guessing it's your name for him.

His given name is Roy but he goes by "Buckshot". :D I can't take credit for the nickname though. Our dear moderator, Rosie, named him Buttsnot. :D

muggle not
7th April 2007, 01:13
His given name is Roy but he goes by "Buckshot". :D I can't take credit for the nickname though. Our dear moderator, Rosie, named him Buttsnot. :D

I know who Roy is, I know who Buckshot is, and I know who Buttsnot is.
Now, who the heck is Rosie. :)

RaikkonenRules
7th April 2007, 10:49
Worst from this year:

Cup:
Driver: AJ Allmendinger
Team: Front Row Motorsports

Busch:
Driver: Kyle Krisilof
Team: Means Racing

RaceFanStan
7th April 2007, 17:20
.....Now, who the heck is Rosie. :)
I wish someone would send me a PM or email me & explain to me what happened with Rosie.
Several of the female mods are missing & no-one has offered a reason why.
Any mention of the missing people is ignored & we trudge along without them.
I want them to know they are missed & their absense is noticed by several of us.

This post may self-destruct & disappear without notice ...... :s

Sparky1329
7th April 2007, 18:58
I wish someone would send me a PM or email me & explain to me what happened with Rosie.
I want them to know they are missed & their absense is noticed by several of us.

Ditto.

RaikkonenRules
7th April 2007, 19:14
Probably met the same fate as GG24. Locked up inside Oily Oaf's basement. :laugh:

call_me_andrew
7th April 2007, 21:47
I think I may have seen her on the chit-chat board a while ago, but I never bother to check out that place.

Moderators are the internet's answer to mall security guards.

It puts the lotion on the skin or else it gets the hose again

tstran17_88
7th April 2007, 22:48
Worst ever....Johnny Slaughter. Like Mark Martin said...he's a weapon out there. It's only fitting that he was once a RCR driver.

harvick#1
7th April 2007, 22:57
he didn't last very long with RC :p :

tstran17_88
7th April 2007, 23:10
Only because he didn't win alot...it's not like he didn't win in a RCR car. If you're a wrecker and still can win some, you're ok in RC's book.

RaikkonenRules
8th April 2007, 12:53
How is Johnny Sauter the worst ever? He's better than both his brothers at least.

NASCARWidow
8th April 2007, 14:37
You can't name to worst ever in either series because they were so bad they didn't last long enough to be remembered.

Hoss Ghoul
8th April 2007, 18:15
Shawna Robinson was pretty bad.

RaikkonenRules
8th April 2007, 19:32
These came to mind from recent years

Tina Gordan, Erin Crocker, Andy Ponstein, Kim Crosby, Gus Wasson, Travis Geisler, Tyler Walker, Scott Lagasse

muggle not
8th April 2007, 23:57

Ditto.

Ditto.

kelloggs5TLfan
9th April 2007, 04:37

I ask in the missing posters list and was ignored.

djarumdudley
9th April 2007, 07:41
L. W. Wright, Music City Racing, Talladega, May 1982

How's that for an obscure reference? :D

one start and gone, no other histort whatsoever. quite funny, i was actually watching that Talladega race yesterday.

here's a couple JT Hayes and Steve Perry. both ran for Junie Donlavey. Hayes in the spring 1990 Rockingham race and Perry in the fall 1991 Dover event. Donlavey was one of the great independent owners and helped many a young driver's career but had his share of poor drivers. for shear number of starts and years in the sport with only one victory to show for it isn't the best of records.

RaikkonenRules
9th April 2007, 13:22
The #88 NEMCO Motorsports car from the 2004 Busch Series. Bet Jeff Fuller was fuming that season. :laugh:

Mark in Oshawa
10th April 2007, 20:46
I would say Buckshot Jones would be one.

I would say Hut Stricklin was given WAY more time and race cars than his talent dictated, and there is no way in hell anyone should have put Shawna Robinson in a Cup car. Heck while we are on clueless, is there any doubt that Robby Gordon has to be the most egotistical driver with the least amount of justification for it out there? He isn't the worst driver, but he is by far the most overrated if you match what he thinks of his ability vs what it really is....

Hayden Fan
10th April 2007, 21:03
AJ Allmendinger and Red Bull Racing.

Alexamateo
10th April 2007, 21:50
one start and gone, no other histort whatsoever. quite funny, i was actually watching that Talladega race yesterday.

here's a couple JT Hayes and Steve Perry. both ran for Junie Donlavey. Hayes in the spring 1990 Rockingham race and Perry in the fall 1991 Dover event. Donlavey was one of the great independent owners and helped many a young driver's career but had his share of poor drivers. for shear number of starts and years in the sport with only one victory to show for it isn't the best of records.

Actually the reason I brought him up is because no one really knows who he (L. W. Wright) is/was. According to newspaper articles at the time, this guy showed up, talked his way into a NASCAR license, bought a car from Sterling Marlin with a check that later bounced, also bounced checks to Goodyear Tire and an auto parts company and despite all this, got on the track and qualified for the Winson 500 @ Talladega, and later just disappeared. :D

NASCAR had some egg on their face at the time, but it's just one of those weird things that happen.

On a side note, when I was a kid, there was no internet and not near the coverage of racing that there is now. I used to cut all and any article on racing out of the newspaper, and keep it in a notebook. That's where I went to look up this info, as I still have those notebooks. I knew this happened in May of 1982, so I started looking there, and I found the June 23 article about LW Wright.

Anyway, looking back through the lens of time, May-June 1982 was one of the most tragic times in recent Auto racing history. In those few short weeks Gilles Villeneuve, Gordon Smiley, and Ricardo Paletti would lose their lives. Later that summer on the same weekend in August, Indy 500 rookie of the year Jim Hickman was killed at Milwaukee. ARCA driver Gene Richards died at Talladega, and Hydroplane racer Dean Chenoweth was killed. To make matters worse Al Unser Sr's daughter died in a dune buggy accident. 1982 was harsh, and things have really come a long way since then.

harvick#1
10th April 2007, 22:18
I would say Buckshot Jones would be one.

I would say Hut Stricklin was given WAY more time and race cars than his talent dictated, and there is no way in hell anyone should have put Shawna Robinson in a Cup car. Heck while we are on clueless, is there any doubt that Robby Gordon has to be the most egotistical driver with the least amount of justification for it out there? He isn't the worst driver, but he is by far the most overrated if you match what he thinks of his ability vs what it really is....

Robby though is only a single car team and hes trying to beat Multi-car team powerhouses.

AJ Allmendinger and Red Bull Racing.

AJ was good in a OW car, but hes still adjusting with a Brand new team, so I can't say they are the worst team as Vickers did give RBR two top 15's already this year

Mark in Oshawa
11th April 2007, 04:56
Harvick, if you had met the same guy I have seen a few times when he raced Champ Car and ran in SCCA Trans AM with Roush, you would not be so quick to point out his record as a team owner. The fact he is a team owner is partially because no one can TELL him a damned thing. He ran Indy one year as a one off when he was racing in NASCAR and it was part of the contract he had with Sabates that he get that ride. Apparently Felix was shocked at what a jerk Robby was when he was at Indy and how he conducted himself. What is more, the team hired to run the effort was just barely tolerating the guy because Robby was the "boss" and he wouldn't take any constructive criticism, much less any ideas from anyone. His talent is great but his talent negates so much that in the end, he is the worst waste of talent and a ride right now...although Mikey Waltrip seems bent on being a bigger failure....

slorydn1
11th April 2007, 22:33

Ditto here too

slorydn1
11th April 2007, 22:44
I get pissed at Robby Gordon a lot, too, but he is far from being the worst driver out there...He is an awsome talent, can flat out drive the wheels off a race car (Johnny Sauter is a similar driver). The problem with BOTH of them is that they seem to regularly fail to use their heads and put themselves into situations that cause wrecks, then they point the finger at everyone else.

I'd have to say other than Buttsnot Jones, one needs to look no farther than John Andretti. Talking about cashing in on a name.

Here's one for Muggles Trivia thread. Name 10 Races (Cup and Busch) that John Andretti was in during his career that he DIDN'T wreck in (and to make it harder, you may NOT mention his win at Martinsville).

I cant remember 2, so I probably won't win this question

Alexamateo
12th April 2007, 02:21
I
I'd have to say other than Buttsnot Jones, one needs to look no farther than John Andretti. Talking about cashing in on a name.

Here's one for Muggles Trivia thread. Name 10 Races (Cup and Busch) that John Andretti was in during his career that he DIDN'T wreck in (and to make it harder, you may NOT mention his win at Martinsville).

I cant remember 2, so I probably won't win this question

He won at Daytona in the July race so there's one ;)

slorydn1
12th April 2007, 06:28

Ok, theres one....now name 9 more :)

tstran17_88
12th April 2007, 18:59
How is Johnny Sauter the worst ever? He's better than both his brothers at least.

May I suggest setting up some parameters then, like say, involved in the most wrecks, or something like that, and not make the topic so broad, so we can become better enabled to answer your topic. Worst team or driver in Busch or Cup…give me a break! :rolleyes:

I would then have leaned toward JJ Yeley based off a thread from earlier this season that listed him with the highest average wrecks last season. I think Stan may have posted it?

Silly me, I just thought I could give my opinion. :p :

RaikkonenRules
13th April 2007, 12:50
I mean either most wrecks or slowest drivers.

RaceFanStan
13th April 2007, 18:52
How about Kevin Lepage ?
He has failed to qualify for ALL 6 Nextel Cup races so far this season ...

in 199 previous cup starts over the last 10 years, Kevin Lepage has :
0 wins, 2 top 5s & 9 top 10s ...
finished on the lead lap in only 39 races ...
& also failed to finish 45 races ...

If you are looking for a loser, look @ Kevin Lepage ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Lee Roy
13th April 2007, 19:16
Anyway, looking back through the lens of time, May-June 1982 was one of the most tragic times in recent Auto racing history. In those few short weeks Gilles Villeneuve, Gordon Smiley, and Ricardo Paletti would lose their lives. Later that summer on the same weekend in August, Indy 500 rookie of the year Jim Hickman was killed at Milwaukee. ARCA driver Gene Richards died at Talladega, and Hydroplane racer Dean Chenoweth was killed. To make matters worse Al Unser Sr's daughter died in a dune buggy accident. 1982 was harsh, and things have really come a long way since then.

I recall a similar time. I went to the August race at Talladega in 1975. On Saturday, I saw Mark Donohue set a world closed course speed record with his Porsche CanAm car. The next day, the Cup race was rained out. Next week I returned for the Cup race and Tiny Lund was killed on the 8th lap and Donohue was fatally injured in a wreck that same weekend in Austria.

RaikkonenRules
13th April 2007, 20:24
How about Kevin Lepage ?

in 199 previous cup starts over the last 10 years, Kevin Lepage has :
0 wins, 2 top 5s & 9 top 10s ...
finished on the lead lap in only 39 races ...
& also failed to finish 45 races ...

If you are looking for a loser, look @ Kevin Lepage ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Name one decent team he has driven for. Lepage is unkown quantity as he always seems to be with the less privledged teams.

RaceFanStan
13th April 2007, 20:50
Looks like you just want a certain answer & won't accept anyone else's opinion. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

I gave you numbers but you discounted my opinion
FYI Kevin Lepage drove for Jack Roush in the #16 :
1998 - races 21 thru 33 (1 top 10)
1999 - ALL 34 races (1 top 5, 2 top 10)
2000 - 32 of 34 races (1 top 5, 3 top 10)
Then Jack Roush fired him !

Kevin Lepage went to Morgan-McClure #4 in 2001
races 6 thru 28 (0 top 5, 0 top 10)
Then Larry McClure fired him !

he then went to Jim Smith #7
2001 - races 29 thru 36 (0 top 5, 0 top 10)
Then Jim Smith fired him !

dwboogityfan
13th April 2007, 21:09
I feel sorry for Kevin this year as the FRM equipment is not good enough. Kevin is a very solid driver who has often worked miracles in lesser teams - Daytona a couple of years ago comes to mind.
In terms of guys who have done little over the years in Nextel/Winston Cup you've got to look at people like Chad Little who never really did that well in any of his rides, David Green consistently struggled and of course there were Loy Allen, that Japanese guy that raced for Travis Carter in the #66 a few years ago, Christian Fittipaldi and good old Buckshot!
Of the current drivers I think Jeff Green has never shown he belongs in the Nextel Cup and don't think Paul Menard is good enough. Its a shame that guys like Johnny Benson can't get a cup drive when Menard can.

djarumdudley
13th April 2007, 21:51
agree with Jeff Green, he's done very little with the Cup rides he's had. same with the Busch cars aside from those couple of years with ppc.

gary_580
13th April 2007, 23:04
How about Kevin Lepage ?

Only 1 more failure than Michael Waltrip then ;)

RaceFanStan
13th April 2007, 23:18
The big difference between Kevin Lepage & Michael Waltrip is that Michael Waltrip IS a Cup race winner ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

muggle not
13th April 2007, 23:24
hehe, Derrike Cope is also a Cup winner.

RaceFanStan
13th April 2007, 23:37
Which puts him a level above the non-winners. :laugh:
A winner is a winner & no-one can take that way.

harvick#1
13th April 2007, 23:39
yeah somehow Derrike Cope was a Daytona 500 champion :confused:

Hayden Fan
13th April 2007, 23:40
Looks like you just want a certain answer & won't accept anyone else's opinion. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

I gave you numbers but you discounted my opinion
FYI Kevin Lepage drove for Jack Roush in the #16 :
1998 - races 21 thru 33 (1 top 10)
1999 - ALL 34 races (1 top 5, 2 top 10)
2000 - 32 of 34 races (1 top 5, 3 top 10)
Then Jack Roush fired him !

Kevin Lepage went to Morgan-McClure #4 in 2001
races 6 thru 28 (0 top 5, 0 top 10)
Then Larry McClure fired him !

he then went to Jim Smith #7
2001 - races 29 thru 36 (0 top 5, 0 top 10)
Then Jim Smith fired him !

A guy who grew up just down the road from me, Johnny Benson raced for Roush too and just like Lepage ran more of a R-D type deal. Race every race, but run as a driver who tried new crap, so Mark Martin and whoever big wig was on the team could reap the rewards of the what was found by Benson and Lepage.

RaceFanStan
13th April 2007, 23:54
Johnny Benson Jr is a proven WINNER !
Benson has 1 Cup victory, 3 Busch Series victories & 5 Truck Series victories.
Johnny is one of only 17 drivers who has won races in all 3 NASCAR series.
I met Johnny Benson once while he was with Roush Racing, he was very unhappy there.

Alexamateo
14th April 2007, 03:07
yeah somehow Derrike Cope was a Daytona 500 champion :confused:

The Daytona 500 is a wicked mistress and a tease. She often smiles on the downtrodden and lonely and gives her pleasures to them.(Pete Hamilton, Derrike Cope, Ward Burton, Michael Waltrip), but makes other champions suffer for years!(Darrell Waltrip, Dale Earnhardt) or NEVER lets them taste her fruits.(Terry Labonte,Rusty Wallace, Mark Martin)

:p :D :)

POS_Maggott
14th April 2007, 07:34

I'm also counting the Spring Bristol race in 2001.

I can remember that John ran well at California when the 43 car had that book for kids deal on it, and if I'm not mistaken, he might have got a top 10 there.

And I know that a couple years back, I remember them making a big deal about how he ran in the top 10 at both road courses in the 43 car... I dont remember which year, and I guess I cant really say that he didnt wreck in those races either lol

seppefan
14th April 2007, 09:33
Worst from this year:

Cup:
Driver: AJ Allmendinger
Team: Front Row Motorsports

Busch:
Driver: Kyle Krisilof
Team: Means Racing

Strange as AJ is a good driver as proven in ChampCar and Red Bull have the money. Maybe in time ..