PDA

View Full Version : Nick to Toyota and Ralf to BMW?

ioan
5th April 2007, 11:18
That's what they are speculating at the moment anyway.

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070405101248.shtml

Ranger
5th April 2007, 11:40
Two observations:

1) The source is the ever so reliable "Bild" newspaper.
2) This would only happen if Mario decides to dump Nick. Now considering he has recently hailed him as a future world champion, this is somewhat unlikely.

I'm not denying Toyota would have launched a bid, but I see no reason why Nick would leave a team definitely on the rise by his own accord.

tintop
5th April 2007, 14:23
Two observations:

2) This would only happen if Mario decides to dump Nick. Now considering he has recently hailed him as a future world champion, this is somewhat unlikely.

I'm not denying Toyota would have launched a bid, but I see no reason why Nick would leave a team definitely on the rise by his own accord.

Or why any team would be interested in Ralf. :p

jens
5th April 2007, 14:27
That kind of speculation has existed already since late 2006, so I think it has some evidence.

Well. For Heidfeld BMW would be the best perspective. Not impossible that already in 2008 BMW will fight for the title.

I hope that this kind of exchange wouldn't take place as I rate Nick higher than Ralf and I hope that his career wouldn't be ruined as he at last seems to have well established in a good team. Unlike Ralf Nick has never driven in a team that is able to challenge for the title and I'd really like to see, what can he do in a top car.

I suspect that unlike BMW Toyota won't be a serious threat for title contenders in the next couple of years either.

What concerns Vettel, then I suppose that he wouldn't be brought in before 2009 (unless he drives for STR in 2008) - more likely he will drive in GP2 in 2008.

And the last sentence from Toyota's perspective. It would be interesting to see some change there, but firstly they should get someone for example Ross Brawn to make the team more hopeful and attractive for others.

jens
5th April 2007, 14:31
Or why any team would be interested in Ralf. :p

Ralf is a good test driver. He was in Williams-BMW, when the team managed to rise into title contention and that aspect he can't be underestimated as he was partnered by a team-mate that hasn't been known as a "hard worker". Probably BMW has that factor still in memory and believes that with Ralf they can develop into title contention again?

In fact, all the Germans are known as good car developers - Michael, Ralf, Nick and Nico. Smart nation. :)

So I don't think there will be much difference between Ralf and Nico in car's development side. I suppose that the more initiative side is Toyota.

Valve Bounce
5th April 2007, 18:11
Let's be honest - hands up anyone who thinks Ralfie can win a WDC!!

Ian McC
5th April 2007, 18:36
Two observations:

Yes, that was my first thought too.

Ian McC
5th April 2007, 18:36
Let's be honest - hands up anyone who thinks Ralfie can win a WDC!!

:erm: No! :uhoh:

Nikki Katz
5th April 2007, 18:39
I can see Heidfeld moving to Toyota, but if BMW do drop him for whatever reason I'd be shocked to see Ralf taking his seat. I think it's much more likely Heidfeld will stay where he is. Not too sure about Ralf.

Valve Bounce
5th April 2007, 19:06
I think that Ralfie's value lies in the name Schumacher. If his name was Schmidt, he would be Schidt!! :rolleyes:

jens
5th April 2007, 20:00
Yeah, wherever there is a thread about Ralf, there is a Ralfie-bash.

More likely the hate against Ralf lies in the name of Schumacher. :)

tintop
6th April 2007, 03:12

Besides that, I've never known him to be a great test driver, no matter how smart ze Germans are in general...Yeah, I went to Gymnasium and can vouch for their primary education system, est ist sehr gut, ja!

PSfan
6th April 2007, 03:36
WOW, after only one race its already silly season time?!?!

I think that Ralfie's value lies in the name Schumacher. If his name was Schmidt, he would be Schidt!! :rolleyes:

I've asked it before, how many other drivers besides Ralph has managed to have at least one podium every single year that they've been in F1? (excluding Hamilton)

jens
6th April 2007, 08:28
Besides that, I've never known him to be a great test driver, no matter how smart ze Germans are in general...Yeah, I went to Gymnasium and can vouch for their primary education system, est ist sehr gut, ja!

Task! Try to find at least something positive about Ralf!

WOW, after only one race its already silly season time?!?!

This year's silly season is quite silent compared to last year's, when we already during winter tests had loads of speculations. This time we don't have such big names making changes in their careers.

Ian McC
6th April 2007, 09:29
I can see Heidfeld moving to Toyota

Only if he has no choice, despite the pots of cash it would be a step back.

Ian McC
6th April 2007, 09:29

I don't see any hate, just a view that he really isn't ever going to be the best.

ioan
6th April 2007, 09:34
I've asked it before, how many other drivers besides Ralph has managed to have at least one podium every single year that they've been in F1? (excluding Hamilton)

Hey what are you thinking when you come up with such good questions?
Don't be silly, you know people around here don't like Ralf, as they didn't like Michael either, and if another Schumacher will show up in F1 it won't be long before they start bashing him.

ioan
6th April 2007, 09:35
I don't see any hate, just a view that he really isn't ever going to be the best.

Well he did as well as JPM, maybe even better according to some stats, still people's (very subjective) views are well known about him.

Nikki Katz
6th April 2007, 11:56
Only if he has no choice, despite the pots of cash it would be a step back.
Well, quite. I'm sure he'd prefer to stay at BMW, and unless they have a 1st rate replacement I can't see them dropping him.

ArrowsFA1
6th April 2007, 13:47
I don't know the answer to that, but it seems that a couple of podiums a year is about Ralf's level.

Ian McC
6th April 2007, 14:20
Don't be silly, you know people around here don't like Ralf, as they didn't like Michael either, and if another Schumacher will show up in F1 it won't be long before they start bashing him.

Just in the same way that some fans of drivers can't accept any form of criticism against the ones they follow, even when it is plainly justified ;)

tintop
6th April 2007, 16:25
Task! Try to find at least something positive about Ralf!

Good point. Every time Ralf screams by that pit wall entrance at Indy, :s hock: I have an enormous amount of respect for his courage. He had some nice runs in 2001 and 2003 and I had hoped at that point that he could start to rival his brother, but those head-to-head battles that the two had turned out to be pretty pathetic and Ralfie just seemed to roll over and let Mikey pass (in a way that Alonso hasn't over the past 2 years). Then Toyota happened - not sure if he has anything left in his tank.

aryan
6th April 2007, 16:27
I doubt BMW is after Ralfie, he is known quantity to them, he was theire driver in BMW Williams.

However, it is true that BMW will need to make place for Vettel if they don't want to lose him to RBR, so Nick has to bee really quick this year cause his seat isn't that safe...

Roamy
6th April 2007, 20:30
I would think if Nick's development capabilities were good that bMW would keep him even if he is a tick off Kubica. So perhaps this is a answer in disguise.

futuretiger9
6th April 2007, 20:32
The only reason for BMW to "re-hire" Ralf would surely be purely commercial. If these deals go through, Toyota would come out of it better, that's for sure.