PDA

View Full Version : Habemus Papam!

EuroTroll
14th March 2013, 08:17
So, what are your expectations of the new pope?

Is anyone here actually a Catholic?

Personally, I would like him to just steer clear of idiocies like telling people in Africa that condoms make the AIDS problem worse... Oh, and if he could do something to befriend us more to the Muslims, that would be just great... :up:

Rudy Tamasz
14th March 2013, 08:31
befriend us more to the Muslims

"Us", that's who, for the purposes of this thread? ;)

EuroTroll
14th March 2013, 08:33
"Us", that's who, for the purposes of this thread? ;)

Us = the nominally Christians. :)

gadjo_dilo
14th March 2013, 08:34
I'm not catholic and I don't care what he'll do. Never been a fan of catholic church.

Mark
14th March 2013, 08:40
I'm not catholic and I don't care what he'll do

But will he **** in the woods?

gadjo_dilo
14th March 2013, 08:51
But will he **** in the woods?
Sorry, I don't understand this....

airshifter
14th March 2013, 10:51
Sorry, I don't understand this....

It's an old expression based on pointing out something that is assumed to happen. "Does a bear crap in the woods?"

As for the new Pope, I'm not sure what he will do but chances are he will get credit for things he really didn't influence, and will get blamed for things beyond his control. That happens with most Popes. I don't think he can do but so much to help people of other religions understand Islam, as I think a principle expected requirement of being a Pope would be to promote the Catholic Church, and showing too much tolerance would guide people to make their own choice rather than help recruit them in a certain specific direction. That is just opinion of course.

I'm not Catholic myself, but find the church interesting. A primary difference in the Catholic and most other churches is that they retained a lot of tradition over the years. That is why many of their ceremonies are so lengthy and intricate, they haven't changed them much if at all over many years. I can honestly say that I've never been to another funeral service that the priest performing the service openly states that those who have not lived their life properly are destined for an eternity in hell. Maybe rather harsh at a funeral service IMO, but I have to give them credit for application of their values.

I also think some of their traditions make a service more intense, almost somewhat ominous. With all the stand, sit, kneel, swinging of the incense, etc it's a different type of service.

gadjo_dilo
14th March 2013, 11:29
I also think some of their traditions make a service more intense, almost somewhat ominous. With all the stand, sit, kneel, swinging of the incense, etc it's a different type of service.
Nah...If you really want to be impressed go to an orthodox christian church.

Rudy Tamasz
14th March 2013, 11:48
Nah...If you really want to be impressed go to an orthodox christian church.

Yep, that's very true.

Mintexmemory
14th March 2013, 11:51
It's an old expression based on pointing out something that is assumed to happen. "Does a bear crap in the woods?"

Actually (to explain fully) there are 2 commonly used rhetorical questions to indicate the proposition you have to answer is blindingly obvious.
The first is 'Is the Pope Cathoolic?'
The second is 'Does a bear **** in the woods?'
Often the 2 questions would be used as a compound response so it soon became a humourous device to transpose the 2 question subjects ie.
'Is a bear Catholic? Does the Pope **** in the woods'
Subsequently, among those familiar with the device the compound question would be shortened to either of its 2 component parts

This explanation brought to you by anglo-american humour (spelled WITH a 'u') de-construction ltd.

Oh and very soon I expect a new crusade
'God has spoken to me -Reclaim the Malvinas!!!'

gadjo_dilo
14th March 2013, 12:04
:crazy:
Matter of fact i don't understand the **** thing. There are too many options for it. :devil:

Otherwise we also have sayings like " Are you teaching your father to make children?" or " to be more catholic than the Pope".

gadjo_dilo
14th March 2013, 12:09
Oh and very soon I expect a new crusade
'God has spoken to me -Reclaim the Malvinas!!!'
Overpassing the shame to read such publications:
An Argentinian is new Pope Francis I succeeding Benedict XVI | The Sun |News (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4840707/An-Argentinian-is-new-Pope-Francis-I-succeeding-Benedict-XVI.html)

Dave B
14th March 2013, 12:51
I'll be impressed if the new pope instigates a thorough investigation into the abuse scandals which have tainted the church for so long, and by that I don't mean an internal whitewash where offenders are moved on or put out to pasture, but one involving the police and courts. They need a fresh start if they're ever to shake off this (often well-deserved) reputation of a secretive organisation where abuse is tolerated and covered up.

Secondly the new pope needs to make it clear that condom use is acceptable for the prevention of pregnancy and disease. Literally millions have died or been born into starvation and poverty due to the teachings of the Catholic church over the years, and it cannot be allowed to continue.

Other than that I couldn't care less about yet another old white guy who believes in sky fairies.

Rudy Tamasz
14th March 2013, 13:23
We've already got a number of pretty strong suggestions on what the new Pope should/shouldn't do but we have yet to see a Catholic post in this thread. Maybe we should just leave it to Catholics and get back to minding our own business?

EuroTroll
14th March 2013, 13:27
We've already got a number of pretty strong suggestions on what the new Pope should/shouldn't do but we have yet to see a Catholic post in this thread. Maybe we should just leave it to Catholics and get back to minding our own business?

Never! :D

gadjo_dilo
14th March 2013, 13:28
Don't think there are catholics among us. :laugh:

The Black Knight
14th March 2013, 13:43
I don't affiliate myself with any religion or church. I don't care what he does.

pino
14th March 2013, 13:46
Don't think there are catholics among us. :laugh:

:wave:

Mark
14th March 2013, 13:47
I was in a church yesterday for a funeral, there were hymns and there was prayers etc. Although I was there out of respect for the deceased, I did feel rather out of place! I didn't sing the songs -- nobody wants to hear me sing anyway :D

gadjo_dilo
14th March 2013, 13:48
:wave:

Are you one of those who voted "yes" on the "Is there a God" thread? :eek:

Storm
14th March 2013, 13:54
I like churches (the architecture atleast)
The Pope? totally pointless post just like the UN Secretary General
;)

schmenke
14th March 2013, 14:00
Couldn't give a rat's bottom.

The Catholic Church is a big scam.

Gregor-y
14th March 2013, 14:39
I'm more surprised he's a Jesuit than he's a from Argentina. The real question is can he handle an increasingly liberal laity in the western hemisphere, where a large number of faithful Catholics live? Other than will his first act to be excommunicating the Falklands, of course.

keysersoze
14th March 2013, 15:13
I like churches (the architecture atleast)
The Pope? totally pointless post just like the UN Secretary General
;)

I wouldn't call the papacy pointless, and neither would I say that about the British monarchy. There is, after all, a point to having them.

But they are both ridiculous. :p

The media here in the US has made this papal election into far more news than warrants. If I get one more explanation of the black smoke versus the white smoke, I'll be fuming myself.

Now what irks me--check that--enrages me, about the coverage is the focus on his nationality. Anyone who is from any Latin American country has had a microphone thrust in their face by an inane member of the media to get his / her reaction. And, as can be expected, the reaction is something along the lines of "I'm glad one of us is now the pope."

What I had hoped would happen is for all to focus on this man's impressive humility and dedication to service. He does not seem to be the elitist that just resigned, but a kind, humble man of the people. I look forward to administration.

On a final note, I'm also ticked about the speculation regarding his conservatism, as the media keep wondering out loud if the Church can appeal to the liberals within the Catholic Church. Sorry to say this, but they are priests of God and should not waver to the moral relativists. Their beliefs are their beliefs and they should fight the good fight as best they can wihout compromising their values.

FYI, my mother's side is devoutly Catholic, and when of age I was an altar boy, but I stopped attending the Catholic Church, when I was 10, in favor of a Protestant Church (Lutheran). It was a parental decision. I now attend a non-denominational church. Although it's not the point, the Catholic service is quite beautiful, but I think many pedophilic and gay men have abused the priesthood, helping to bring the faith into disrepute.

EuroTroll
14th March 2013, 16:05
http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/644294_10151339332341645_294926512_n.jpg

donKey jote
14th March 2013, 16:22
can he handle an increasingly liberal laity
Judging from how he handled Videla & co., I doubt it.
As long has he keeps his priests away from the kids, he'll be better than the last one though :dozey:

race aficionado
14th March 2013, 16:35
Let's see how this plays....

http://world.time.com/2013/03/13/why-the-first-latin-american-pope-inspires-less-hope-than-we-hoped

Zico
14th March 2013, 16:40
Not the best source I know but If you read the Wikipedia page about him, he doesn't seem to be that much different from his predecessor. Abortion: bad. Euthanasia: bad. Gays: bad. Gay marriage: an abomination. Gay couples adopting: worst thing ever. Same old same old. Meanwhile, the (increasingly secular) world moves on and Vatican II fades further and further into the past.

rjbetty
14th March 2013, 16:50
Oh, and if he could do something to befriend us more to the Muslims, that would be just great... :up:

They're going to join into one religion pretty soon.

EuroTroll
14th March 2013, 17:56

Not a chance. They'll never agree on what to call God. :D

Jehallah? Allahova? :p

ioan
14th March 2013, 19:23
Couldn't give a rat's bottom.

The Catholic Church is a big scam.

The biggest scam.

donKey jote
14th March 2013, 19:35
scam scam egs & scam ...

Dave B
14th March 2013, 21:18
Not the best source I know but If you read the Wikipedia page about him, he doesn't seem to be that much different from his predecessor. Abortion: bad. Euthanasia: bad. Gays: bad. Gay marriage: an abomination. Gay couples adopting: worst thing ever. Same old same old. Meanwhile, the (increasingly secular) world moves on and Vatican II fades further and further into the past.
Meet the new pope, same as the old pope...

Rollo
14th March 2013, 21:37
Personally I think that the Pope as an organisational head should put the organisation under serious enquiry but like the rest, he won't.

As for his being the spiritual head of the church, there's no basis in scripture for that whatsoever. As a counterpoint, I rather like the words of Francis Wayland, in what he referred to as "soul liberty":
"In matters of religion, each person has the liberty to choose what his/her conscience or soul dictates is right, and is responsible to no one but God for the decision that is made."
- The Elements of Moral Science, Francis Wayland (1835)

Gregor-y
14th March 2013, 22:13
Indeed there's no worse hatred than between two groups with nearly the same beliefs. All our culture war conservatives really aren't that far apart from people demanding Sharia laws, after all.

keysersoze
14th March 2013, 22:14
As a counterpoint, I rather like the words of Francis Wayland, in what he referred to as "soul liberty":
"In matters of religion, each person has the liberty to choose what his/her conscience or soul dictates is right, and is responsible to no one but God for the decision that is made."
- The Elements of Moral Science, Francis Wayland (1835)

That's cool as long as said person decides that the "right" thing to do is break into my house to harm me or my wife. Then he will have to answer to me first and God second. ;)

I will gladly provide him the "soul liberty" as Wayland puts it; that is, I will liberate him from his soul. :p

keysersoze
14th March 2013, 22:17
Indeed there's no worse hatred than between two groups with nearly the same beliefs. All our culture war conservatives really aren't that far apart from people demanding Sharia laws, after all.

Yep, when I was a kid and attended the Lutheran church I found out that the American Lutherans didn't like the Missouri Synod Lutherans. Old Martin Luther was turning in his grave at them, I'm sure.

Rollo
14th March 2013, 22:30
Does the Pope **** in the woods

Evidently yes.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050308031016/uncyclopedia/images/thumb/4/49/Popewoods.jpg/400px-Popewoods.jpg

Is a bear Catholic?

Well no.

The vast majority of bears are in fact Hindu. Most of them are very disciplined ascetic practitioners of meditation to the point where they're able to restrain their bodies and mind for months at a time - otherwise called hibernation.

The most revered Hindu sant of the bears, was bestowed with the title "Yogi Bear" because his intellect was greater than average.

Mintexmemory
14th March 2013, 23:47
The ranger isn't gonna like it................... - Very well constructed pun! How many years in the refining I wonder?
Yogi Bear indeed!

schmenke
15th March 2013, 14:33
The ranger isn't gonna like it................... - Very well constructed pun! How many years in the refining I wonder?
Yogi Bear indeed!

Yep, that post was bearly worth reading.

edv
15th March 2013, 14:40
http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/426473_10151500378690155_1097643127_n.jpg

donKey jote
15th March 2013, 16:59
Yep, that post was bearly worth reading.

the crap we have to bear with here sometimes...

steveaki13
15th March 2013, 20:47
I was in a church yesterday for a funeral, there were hymns and there was prayers etc. Although I was there out of respect for the deceased, I did feel rather out of place! I didn't sing the songs -- nobody wants to hear me sing anyway :D

You raise an interesting point Mark. I too was at a funeral not long ago and being an athiest and not feeling comfortable around relgion and what it suggests, I too respected the deceased but took no part in the religious acts.

After the funeral I was asked by 2 family members why I wasn't singing and didnt say "Amen" after the prayers.

I explained that I dont believe any of the religious aspect and they were quite ofended.

Got me wondering why people feel a need to push their religion onto you.

steveaki13
15th March 2013, 20:51
As for the Pope. I hope he sorts out the Catholic Church and gets to the bottom of these abuse scandals, but of course he wont.

I did hear a quote saying "We must find new ways of spreading the word of God to all corners of the globe".

Again as I stated above. Why is the first act of religion always to try and brainwash people to their way of thinking.

It really shows what Religion is. A way to control people.

Its always said that religion brings you peace and happiness, but all I see personally is people limited to what they can do, people who are always in fear and people who follow the masses and seem scared of people who dont believe.

ioan
15th March 2013, 23:53
Again as I stated above. Why is the first act of religion always to try and brainwash people to their way of thinking.

How could the religion, and of course the power it has over the masses, survive with smart people? Brainwash is the way to go, the only way left for them now when information and knowledge is virtually at everyone's fingertips.

keysersoze
16th March 2013, 03:48

It really shows what Religion is. A way to control people.

Its always said that religion brings you peace and happiness, but all I see personally is people limited to what they can do, people who are always in fear and people who follow the masses and seem scared of people who dont believe.

Christ says to spread the Good Word. The intent is not "to control." Sure, poorly handled it can seem that way.

As far as your last sentence--I don't see that in Christianity in the slightest.

Robinho
16th March 2013, 05:49
You rarely would see that from inside. IMO if religion was based in anything other than some words written to explain the unexplained and control the masses it wouldn't be required to spread the word, convert people, preach etc, as everyone would surely know.

Sent from the moon using a shoe

donKey jote
16th March 2013, 07:01
Religion, our metaphysical sense, is natural. It's a biological phenomenon ( ;) :p ), hard-wired in our brains.

Unfortunately, conning people into blindly following this or that and disregarding anyone outside the "tribe" is also human nature :dozey: