PDA

View Full Version : McLaren to use Honda Engines for 2015

henners88
5th March 2013, 07:52
Honda pulled out of F1 after years of poor results with its own team, which subsequently won the championship as Brawn in 2009 and is now Mercedes.

But the engine manufacturer has decided to return because of next year's introduction of turbo engines featuring energy recovery technology.

McLaren are first expected to race with Honda engines in 2015.

BBC Sport - McLaren poised to switch to Honda engines for 2015 season (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21655985)

It will be nice to have the Honda brand back in F1 just as long as they don't return as a 'team' any time soon.

Bruce D
5th March 2013, 07:55
Well the last time we had turbo engines running to a fuel efficiency formula in F1 a certain Japanese engine company dominated it, and did the same in Cart / Champcar later with the same situation. I said before that this would happen.

EuroTroll
5th March 2013, 08:02
McLaren - Honda :up: That takes me back... :)

I hope that doesn't inspire them to hire Senna, though. :erm:

MAX_THRUST
5th March 2013, 09:50
Glad someone posted this I thought I was imagining things....could be interesting is this why Lewis bailed

Robinho
5th March 2013, 09:55
Cue Honda spending a proverbial butt load of cash this year and next year outside any restrictions and coming in with a rocket engine

Sent from the moon using a shoe

henners88
5th March 2013, 10:18
Glad someone posted this I thought I was imagining things....could be interesting is this why Lewis bailed

Cue Honda spending a proverbial butt load of cash this year and next year outside any restrictions and coming in with a rocket engine

This is one of those situations where it could go either way IMO. They will either come back with one of the best engines or they will come back with an engine like we saw last time around. Perhaps Lewis didn't fancy taking the risk and knew more about the development coming from Mercedes for 2014 onwards? We just don't know. It may be a situation where Mercedes pulled the plug on supplying McLaren and they were forced to approach Honda to get back in the game. It could be that McLaren dropped Mercedes because the promise from Honda was just too good to turn down. I bet Jenson never thought he would be reunited with Honda so soon considering they nearly ended his career at the end of 2008 by pulling out. I love a bit of speculation. :)

AndyL
5th March 2013, 10:58

McLaren running Mercedes' turbo engine in 2014 would give them a handy benchmark to work against.

zako85
5th March 2013, 12:30
Terrible,

terrible,

sensationalist reporting,

with nothing so far to support the baseless BBC article title. Apparently, the only sentence in support of this outrageous claim is this sentence:

"McLaren are first expected to race with Honda engines in 2015."

and NOTHING else ...

henners88
5th March 2013, 12:39
It is made clear there is an element of speculation in this article. Are we not allowed to discuss topics that haven't been 100% confirmed then?

This has been a rumour for a long time now and various respected F1 journalists are also 'speculating' on this move which means it is open to discussion.

zako85
5th March 2013, 12:44
It is made clear there is an element of speculation in this article. Are we not allowed to discuss topics that haven't been 100% confirmed then?

This has been a rumour for a long time now and various respected F1 journalists are also 'speculating' on this move which means it is open to discussion.

We're allowed to speculate, and so are journalists. Though, they should clearly state they're speculating. Even writing something like "I have heard on important person say this, but if I told you the name, I would have to kill you" or "the new paddock rumors is .." would be appreciated.

Joey Zyla
5th March 2013, 13:01

Sent from the moon using a shoe

This is a bit off topic, but do you put that at the end of every post? Wouldn't it make more sense to add that to your (already awesome) signature? :p

henners88
5th March 2013, 13:04
We're allowed to speculate, and so are journalists. Though, they should clearly state they're speculating. Even writing something like "I have heard on important person say this, but if I told you the name, I would have to kill you" or "the new paddock rumors is .." would be appreciated.
I agree Andrew Benson is leading with some of his speculation in the article but the terminology used does not suggest its a done deal. They have an official statement from Honda saying they are 'studying the idea of returning to F1 as an engine supplier', and neither McLaren or Mercedes are confirming they will be working together long term.I think there is enough material for speculation at this stage.

James Allen has also reported on the 'rumour'.

German magazine Auto motor und sport suggested this week that a McLaren source had indicated that the team was keen to try to work up an alliance with Honda for the new generation 2014 engines.

It’s not hard to see why McLaren would want this. They are no longer a manufacturer backed team, since Mercedes bought its own team. They cannot afford to be left behind, especially when engines become a major performance differentiator again in 2014 with the new hybrid turbo formula.

Is Honda really up for F1 return with McLaren?James Allen on F1 (http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/11/is-honda-really-up-for-f1-return-with-mclaren/)

henners88
5th March 2013, 13:07
This is a bit off topic, but do you put that at the end of every post? Wouldn't it make more sense to add that to your (already awesome) signature? :p
If you are using Tapatalk it adds a signature unless you turn it off. My default one was 'Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk', but I turned it off. I think Robinho's is rather funny.. :)

Mark
5th March 2013, 13:55
Been wondering what McLaren would do, especially since when Mercedes started they made it clear they wouldn't supply McLaren forever. The return of McLaren-Honda would be the best outcome IMO. There was speculation for a while McLaren would build their own engines, perhaps they've decided against this for now.

Natalie.S
5th March 2013, 14:29
Terrible,

terrible,

sensationalist reporting,

with nothing so far to support the baseless BBC article title. Apparently, the only sentence in support of this outrageous claim is this sentence:

"McLaren are first expected to race with Honda engines in 2015."

and NOTHING else ...
Yep sensationalist tosh
Nothing factual, it's just Benson generating content for the clueless

Fact is McLaren have an option to race with Mercedes engines until 2015 and there are mechanisms in place for the partnership to continue beyond 2015.

Jag_Warrior
5th March 2013, 16:08
This makes me feel a lot better than the speculation that McLaren might have been considering Cosworth engines. Ya know, what with Cosworth being all sad & pitiful these days... and up for sale. :(

I'm still missing the V12's but a return to turbos makes me feel good too.

BTW, I think Lewis' move away from McLaren had more to do with them not being able to do pitstops or put his car together correctly. Plus, I'm guessing he had been with them for so long that the continuing issues, combined with dreams of the grass maybe being greener elsewhere, made the move easier. And I'd say the money offer wasn't bad either. ;)

steveaki13
5th March 2013, 18:24
I'm still missing the V12's but a return to turbos makes me feel good too.

BTW, I think Lewis' move away from McLaren had more to do with them not being able to do pitstops or put his car together correctly. Plus, I'm guessing he had been with them for so long that the continuing issues, combined with dreams of the grass maybe being greener elsewhere, made the move easier. And I'd say the money offer wasn't bad either. ;)

This

Spot on.

steveaki13
5th March 2013, 18:28
Interesting move though.

In some ways it will be strange to have one final year with an old engine supplier with new rules, but from Mclarens point of view it gives them ideas before helping Honda tweek their effort in 2015 I suppose.

Not sure Mercedes would be too keen.

I am interested to see how all of this goes.

Unlike someone said earlier I wouldn't mind Honda returning as a team either if it meant another decent team in F1. I would like more independents in F1 but if thats not possible then Honda would do.

I assume also Mclaren will revamp to a Mclaren Honda Livery, which could be interesting.

CNR
5th March 2013, 21:55
F1: Gilles Simon Working On F1 Engine For Honda - Report | Reviews | Prices | Australian specifications (http://www.themotorreport.com.au/56034/f1-gilles-simon-working-on-f1-engine-for-honda-report)
Frenchman Gilles Simon, Ferrari's engine boss during the ultra-successful Jean Todt era, could already be working with Honda. After leaving Ferrari, Simon worked for the FIA, but most recently he has been designing a turbo V6 for Craig Pollock's intended 2014 F1 supplier Pure.
But with Pollock's plans now collapsed, Speed Week reports that British sources suspect the newly UK-based Simon could be working on a F1 engine for Honda.

zako85
6th March 2013, 00:23

I watched the recent Top Gear episode where Hamilton was invited. Has hasn't been able to provide a coherent, logical explanation for his move besides that he wanted a change. The decision may have been made in an emotional context. I believe the day before he signed 2013 contract, his car failed on the track again with him leading the race.

henners88
6th March 2013, 13:55
I watched the recent Top Gear episode where Hamilton was invited. Has hasn't been able to provide a coherent, logical explanation for his move besides that he wanted a change. The decision may have been made in an emotional context. I believe the day before he signed 2013 contract, his car failed on the track again with him leading the race.
It might have been based on performance or it might have been based on personal relationships that broke down at McLaren. We just don't know. I don't think its a case of him not being able to provide a 'coherent, logical explanation' because he's not obliged to explain his true feelings or reasons. He moved employers and that's his business really. F1 might be a global sport where fans have a keen interest, but its also a business and most decisions are made in a secretive way.

Knock-on
6th March 2013, 17:43
Has this not been confirmed. Thought it had been but not checked out the rags lately. Pretty sure it's definatly going to happen as of last year

Garry Walker
6th March 2013, 17:49
F1: Gilles Simon Working On F1 Engine For Honda - Report | Reviews | Prices | Australian specifications (http://www.themotorreport.com.au/56034/f1-gilles-simon-working-on-f1-engine-for-honda-report)

Is there anything Craig Pollock has done that has not failed?

henners88
6th March 2013, 17:53
Is there anything Craig Pollock has done that has not failed?
Managing Jacques Villeneuve and earning a lot of money out of it is the first thing that springs to mind.

gloomyDAY
6th March 2013, 17:54
Is there anything Craig Pollock has done that has not failed?Trolling F1 fans.

Garry Walker
6th March 2013, 18:11
Managing Jacques Villeneuve and earning a lot of money out of it is the first thing that springs to mind.

Well, I think we can all agree that that was more down to Villeneuve and his skills/name than Pollock.

christophulus
6th March 2013, 20:27
Been wondering what McLaren would do, especially since when Mercedes started they made it clear they wouldn't supply McLaren forever. The return of McLaren-Honda would be the best outcome IMO. There was speculation for a while McLaren would build their own engines, perhaps they've decided against this for now.

Moving suppliers is sensible, there is no way Mercedes are going to let a major rival have their engines for ever more - not the A-spec ones at any rate.

steveaki13
6th March 2013, 20:37
Moving suppliers is sensible, there is no way Mercedes are going to let a major rival have their engines for ever more - not the A-spec ones at any rate.

No this is true. If Mercedes are serious about challenging for titles, they wouldn't want to supply one of their likely rivals I suppose.

It would be like I believe Ferrari used to supply Sauber & others with last years engines.

henners88
15th May 2013, 12:39
An announcement from McLaren before the end of the season perhaps?

Honda Performance Development To Form Technical Partnership With Magneti Marelli - Honda.com (http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=7123-en)

Motor Racing: Honda set to announce F1 return - Channel NewsAsia (http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/motor-racing-honda-set-to-announce-f1-re/675828.html)

Knock-on
15th May 2013, 14:35
McLaren deal still hasn't been confirmed but I don't know why they don't just come out with it. Surely the worst kept secret in F1.

steveaki13
15th May 2013, 19:09
Hope its true, I would like to see them change things round a bit, it may finally give them a title charge.

15th May 2013, 23:59
interesting

zako85
16th May 2013, 06:35
I think it makes sense for McLaren to switch engines to Honda. If Honda were to supply McLaren with engines, the deal would go beyond just the supply. McLaren will become effectively a "works" team of Honda, which means they might get additional technical assistance as well as sponsorship deals from Honda or other Japanese companies.

One interesting possibility is Kobayashi's comeback. Once Honda is back in F1, it might become interested in helping find Kobayashi a seat, if not at McLaren then perhaps at some other team.

AndyL
16th May 2013, 10:22
Finally they have ended the speculation and officially announced it.
Honda Worldwide | May 16, 2013 "Honda to Participate in the FIA Formula One World Championship" (http://world.honda.com/news/2013/c130516FIA-Formula-One-World-Championship/index.html)

Knock-on
16th May 2013, 11:08
About time. :D

Great news. I'm a fan of Mercedes and they have been a good partner with McLaren but there was always a slight conflict of interest there. As I understand it, the Honda agreement will be a technical one although some mutual commercial cooperation is natural but nothing like the blurring of the Mercedes deal.

I'm really excited about reuniting the Power of Dreams with the best Motoracing Team in the World :D

McLaren Formula 1 - McLaren-Honda: reuniting one of the greatest partnerships in Formula 1 history (http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/inside-the-mtc/mclaren-honda-reuniting-one-greatest-partnerships-formula-1-history/)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/945648_10151612109411413_1995425771_n.jpg

Jordan Fan
16th May 2013, 13:29
Great to see Honda back. Hopefully more manufacturers will come back into the sport over the next few years. Would like to see Peugeot back too.

MAX_THRUST
16th May 2013, 18:55
Great news. Good to have another manufacturer. Wonder who else they will supply engines to.

Knock-on
17th May 2013, 20:57
Guessing FI.

Jordan Fan
17th May 2013, 21:56
Guessing FI.

Wouldn't be Force India as they signed a long term deal with Mercedes Benz in March.

zako85
18th May 2013, 05:42
This is great news. I guess the 2015 McLaren Honda return date was set just in time for Hamilton's comeback once he becomes disenchanted and Mercedes and his contract runs out.

CaptainRaiden
22nd May 2013, 18:47
Has anybody seen this rather nice photoshop of a Telmex Mclaren Honda for 2015, floating around the internet? :D

http://wtf1.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/McLaren-2015.jpg

Ranger
24th May 2013, 18:24
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/972280_656612184355294_186523649_n.jpg

26th June 2013, 23:08
i totally agree !