PDA

View Full Version : Meteorite Hits Russia

airshifter
15th February 2013, 14:20
Talk about something unexpected that would ruin your day. Must be a total shock to all of those affected.

It's also amazing how many people got this thing on video.

Starter
15th February 2013, 14:51
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling." :D

Francis44
15th February 2013, 15:21
Thankfully nobody was heavily injured by this. I am curious to hear the conspiracy theories surrounding this.

It happened before and it will happen again. Sometimes we are so busy and focused on our day-to-day life that we forget we live in just a tiny planet surrounded by millions of objects. I am just surprised no one was able to detect that it would infact hit Earth, since it appears to have a significant size.

This can be a real threat to our existence and that's why billions of dollars are spent in order to find new technology to destroy these kind of threats, last time I heard lasers were an answer.

Knock-on
15th February 2013, 16:11
I blame global warming :)

A FONDO
15th February 2013, 20:52
It's also amazing how many people got this thing on video.
Would you share something?

D-Type
15th February 2013, 20:54
I blame the CIA

Starter
15th February 2013, 23:40
This can be a real threat to our existence and that's why billions of dollars are spent in order to find new technology to destroy these kind of threats, last time I heard lasers were an answer.
Not true, there are zero dollars being spent on this at this time.

airshifter
16th February 2013, 05:44
Would you share something?

Best Videos From Meteor Strike in Russia (http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2013/02/15/best-videos-from-meteor-strike-in-russia/?source=meteorite_crosspromo_russia_gallery)

Lousada
16th February 2013, 11:16
There is something which I never realized and apparently many Russians didn't either. It is that the sonic boom arrives a lot later than the flash of light. The same way thunder comes after lightning. Most of the Russian injuries were because of broken glass, probably because they saw a flash of light and walked to the window to see what it was. Than a little later the sonicboom blows the glass right in their face. Now I know, thanks Russia :o

Tazio
16th February 2013, 15:18
Holy Tunguska event! :eek:

steveaki13
16th February 2013, 21:19
Light travels faster than Sound. :eek: ;)

rjbetty
17th February 2013, 00:37
Holy Tunguska event! :eek:

Haha this sounds like an x-files reference?

Someone call agent Frentzen!

call_me_andrew
17th February 2013, 01:23
Well know we know what Michael Bay got wrong.

race aficionado
17th February 2013, 16:05
Thank goodness it crashed into a frozen lake.
Other possible targets would have been a bummer.

Anubis
17th February 2013, 21:41
There is something which I never realized and apparently many Russians didn't either. It is that the sonic boom arrives a lot later than the flash of light. The same way thunder comes after lightning. Most of the Russian injuries were because of broken glass, probably because they saw a flash of light and walked to the window to see what it was. Than a little later the sonicboom blows the glass right in their face. Now I know, thanks Russia :o

Without sounding rude, how on earth could you not know the speed of light is faster than the speed of sound?

Classic example is the PEPCON explosion, complete with visible shockwave.

Pepcon Explosion - BEST QUALITY, UNEDITED. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cy0bd-TdmA)

airshifter
17th February 2013, 23:26
Without sounding rude, how on earth could you not know the speed of light is faster than the speed of sound?

Pepcon Explosion - BEST QUALITY, UNEDITED. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cy0bd-TdmA)

In that video one of the people speaking says "we watched the shockwave crawl up the mountain at lightning speed". I guess he didn't quite think out the words either.

airshifter
17th February 2013, 23:27

I never thought about people going to the window after seeing the flash, and it makes a lot of sense.

airshifter
18th February 2013, 05:38
From a recent news article they were estimating the meteorite at 10,000 tons, traveling somewhere around 40,000 MPH. Roughly equal to a 470 megaton explosion. :eek:

That my friends, is a LOT of energy transfer. Good thing most of it took place in the air.

EuroTroll
18th February 2013, 11:35
Roughly equal to a 470 megaton explosion. :eek:

Surely, the standard unit for measuring big explosions nowadays is 'Hiroshima'? :D So, take your megatons elsewhere, good sir, and tell us how many Hiroshimas the meteorite produced? ;)

Lousada
18th February 2013, 13:03

Of course I know that. But I didn't know that a meteorite that enters the atmosphere could produce such a large shockwave.
If I saw a large flashlight in the air, my first instinct would have been to go and have a look, not crawling under my desk. Obviously a mistake I realize now.

Lousada
18th February 2013, 13:20
Surely, the standard unit for measuring big explosions nowadays is 'Hiroshima'? :D So, take your megatons elsewhere, good sir, and tell us how many Hiroshimas the meteorite produced? ;)

Hiroshima was 16 megaton. So about 30 Hiroshimas

Tazio
18th February 2013, 16:27
Inverted double post :o

Tazio
18th February 2013, 16:32
Hiroshima was 16 megaton. So about 30 Hiroshimas

Of course I know that. But I didn't know that a meteorite that enters the atmosphere could produce such a large shockwave.
Reports are conflicting however; according to Russian Meteor Blast 'Heard' Around the World | Meteors & Asteroids | LiveScience (http://www.livescience.com/27201-russian-meteor-infrasound.html) the blast was 300 kilotons .3 megatons. In contrast the Tunguska event which flattened 2,000 square kilometers of remote Siberian forest was estimated to be ~80 megatons 1,000 times as powerful as the Hiroshima bomb which was ~15 kilotons
What was the yield of the Hiroshima bomb? (http://www.warbirdforum.com/hiroshim.htm)

steveaki13
18th February 2013, 19:00
That Meterorite might have bought a new life form to earth, that is going to multiply and take over the planet. Our days are numbered. Everyone PPPPPPannnniiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccc.

donKey jote
18th February 2013, 19:58
If I saw a large flashlight in the air, my first instinct would have been to go and have a look, not crawling under my desk. Obviously a mistake I realize now.

a bit like if you see the water recede hundreds of meters on the beach, you should run in the opposite direction to high ground instead of going out to sea the seeshells :p

gadjo_dilo
19th February 2013, 07:31
a bit like if you see the water recede hundreds of meters on the beach, you should run in the opposite direction to high ground instead of going out to sea the seeshells :p

It's easy to laugh when you're sitting comfortable on your armchair. When such things happen all of a sudden you may act in a stupid way.
Whenever it's a major earthquake my first reaction is to run outside although I know it's wrong.