PDA

View Full Version : Your all time F1 heroes?

Coulthard Fan
11th February 2013, 22:57
Who are your all time F1 heroes? And why?

I have 3...
Jackie Stewart, the nicest guy you can ever meet had the pleasure of meeting him at Goodwood a few years ago signed me an autograph as well! I was over the moon. I have watched so many documentaries about this bloke and what he did for the sport was amazing!

Lewis Hamilton, he will always have time for his fans he will always put his fans first. I have so much respect for this bloke, every year at Goodwood he will sign thousands of autographs/pose for photos even when he's meant to be somewhere else. You often here his people trying to hurying him up but until everybody gets the picture he won't go!
The most naturally gifted racer of my generation shame he is blighted by bad luck. I will never forget his drive at Nurburgring where he was the only driver smart enough to keep the engine running and managed to continue and gain vital points!

David Coulthard, another top bloke growing up in the lates 90/early 2000s he was the best British driver and everybody from my country looked up to him! He is such a don he was one of the only blokes to stick it to that cheat Schumacher. I will never forget his drives at Monaco absolute master!

steveaki13
11th February 2013, 23:11
Well I admire any F1 driver, and look back with appreciatation of the drivers of the past but only having watched F1 since 1991 I can largely only go with the drivers I admired while watching.

Being so young while watching F1 early I dont really have memory of supporting a driver until DC. In 1994 & 1995 with Williams he done a decent job, and I agonised over his wins and sadly mediocre championship performances, until 2001 I really enjoyed that year with DC putting in such a solid effort and then the crazy and fun Red Bull days.

Jenson Button - Similar siuation I have followed Jenson closely all his career. 2004 was a fun year after so many seasons as a midfield driver he finally performed on a different level in 2004. So happy he got his title.

Fernando Alonso - Even driving a Minardi he stood out. We didnt see much of him that year, but I remember him chasing Benettons in a Minardi in Spain. It was special.
His 2003 in Renault should he was going to win a title and despite struggling against Trulli at times in 2004, he is Class. 2 titles and a season like last year shows he's still got it.

Kimi - He is just fun. He is simple to like. He gets in the car tells it like it is and drives flat out.
Spa in erm.... 2004 or 2005 Plunging into that plume of smoke was something exciting like years gone by.

Lewis Hamilton - Similar too Kimi he is just 100% at most times. To finish 2nd by a point in 2007 was awesome and then a title to better it. 2009 once the car was better he was at the front and won the 2009 Part 2 title. So with 3 good cars he could have had 3 titles.
2010 & 2012 he was also brilliant and in the title hunt only in 2011 in his career has he not looked on the top of his game.

Mintexmemory
11th February 2013, 23:37
I stopped having heroes when the sport became distanced from the fans and the corporate thing took hold

Jim Clark - would have beaten Schumacher in the third or fourth best car after Ferrari because he could extract something from a car that no one even knew was there.

Jochen Rindt - For his fabulous fighting spirit and that last lap at Monaco 70

Ronnie Peterson - Woodcote flat, nuff said

Natalie.S
11th February 2013, 23:39
1. Michael Schumacher, the stats say it all really. Greatest ever!
1. Juan Manuel Fangio, nicest, most talented and most modest driver ever

then there's a whole lot of nothing and then come Clark, Prost, Senna, Vettel imo

henners88
12th February 2013, 08:03

Mine would have to be Clark, Senna, Mansell, and Hamilton. They are the drivers who I think of first when the sport is mentioned. My father met Clark on numerous occasions during the 60's when fans could stroll through the paddock and mix with the stars. The photographs he has are unbelievable and total one off's and I plan to make an album one day. Senna was the top driver in the sport when I started watching in the late 80's and I must admit I preferred him to Mansell even if I respected Mansell for his determination and hard work behind the wheel. A great era to get into things. I've followed Hakkinen, Raikkonen and Alonso over the years, but Hamilton is the one driver who stands out for me. A pleasant guy to meet and always has time to do something for the fans regardless of whether he is winning. His debut season was absolutely epic and still one of my favourite seasons so far. No doubt more hero's will come along the way and I suppose I am lucky I can follow drivers rather than restricting myself through following just one team as many other do.

keysersoze
12th February 2013, 13:36
1. Riccardo Patrese: my all-time F1 favorite. A driver of only above-average talent who became the consummate team player. The key word here is redemption, and I love redemption stories.

2. Alex Zanardi: a bust in F1, but passionate racer with personality in spades

3. Stefan Bellof: always drove with bravado--very much in the mold of Gilles Villeneuve.

4. Eddie Cheever: made it in F1 when it was quite difficult for an American. Very quotable.

Tazio
12th February 2013, 15:47
Jackie Stewart; he impressed me when I was a young teen and I never got over it. At times he has acted like a tool in his later life but his contributions as a younger man were substantial.

AndyL
12th February 2013, 16:51
John Surtees. His record will in all probability stand for ever, and if anyone does ever match his achievement then surely they will instantly become the greatest motorsport legend of all time.

Knock-on
12th February 2013, 16:56
Murray Walker, Sid Watkins and Sir JYS for me.

steveaki13
12th February 2013, 18:51
John Surtees. His record will in all probability stand for ever, and if anyone does ever match his achievement then surely they will instantly become the greatest motorsport legend of all time.

This.

That was an amazing achievement. As you say it will more than likely never be matched.

steveaki13
12th February 2013, 18:56
Murray Walker, Sid Watkins and Sir JYS for me.

Those are three names most wont argue with.

Even those few (we know who they are ;) ) who werent keen on Murray Walker must recognise that he got many semi interested fans hooked with his loud, excited, grab you by the throat style.

Thus has done a lot for the Sport in the UK & other places in which the Beeb or ITV broadcast.

As for Sid Watkins. What he helped F1 achieve in terms of safety is beyond belief and what a job he done.

JYS - Well what can you say 3 times world Champion, safety campaigner, team owner and general Leg end.

rjbetty
12th February 2013, 20:05
3 Drivers:

Giancarlo Fisichella: Because of his personality and some of the drives he was able to deliver, and mostly for his 2001 and 2004 seasons. I still believe 2001 was his best season for where he was at (experience, situation etc). I would actually say that though Michael was the best, of a very closely-matched group of drivers in the group behind, Fisi was top. That's right, I feel Giancarlo was the 2nd best driver in 2001! Jean Alesi agrees too.

I think Fisi never got the credit he deserved in 2001. People thought Jenson was going to rough him up. I clearly remember Nigel Roebuck smarmily prophesying that Jenson would "rather get the better of Giancarlo". Not once did this guy ever give Fisi any credit for his season. Fisi surprised me in his application and resolve in a terrible car. Not once do I remember him moaning or letting his head drop. He carried that team. In fact, his performance advantage over Button was even more than Ralf's was the previous year, when Jenson was a totally green rookie.

The thing that most impressed me though was Fisi's nature as a person. Not once do I believe he ever did anything to screw Jenson over (is that swearing? Apologies if it is). If anything I think he was possibly quite supportive of his young team-mate. WOW! Can you imagine any other driver apart from Barrichello or Kovalainen being that way? Who in the world would see a wounded lamb of a team-mate and choose to NOT devour them. The fact that Fisi's advantage was entirely due to just driving quicker, and not making his team-mate worse a la Irvine.

I feel this example is a good part of why Jenson is a nice guy (in F1 terms) himself today.

Michael Schumacher:
A much hated driver, but the heroism of delivering the title for Ferrari after 21 years weighed more for me than the controversial moves, which came more from a vulnerable human than a cynical and calculating robot. The British Press' portrayal of Schumi was so wrong.

Who could imagine Prost, Senna or even Fangio giving up the best car to drive a red shed and build it up into the force it became?

And also for his comeback with Mercedes. Despite all the rotten circumstances, he never let his head drop and certainly never criticised his team. He made F1 interesting while he was there.

Elio de Angelis: Would have been my favourite driver if I'd seen him. He was the guy I hoped Fisi would be. His nice personality caused him to suffer against Senna, but even in a bad 1985 was still able to take a pole and a win. He also performed a certain Nigel Mansell at Lotus despite only having a little more experience.

dj_bytedisaster
12th February 2013, 20:23
David Coulthard, another top bloke growing up in the lates 90/early 2000s he was the best British driver and everybody from my country looked up to him! He is such a don he was one of the only blokes to stick it to that cheat Schumacher. I will never forget his drives at Monaco absolute master!

You opened two threads, which at first look were good ideas, until one reads your posts and realizes you really just cooked the stuff up to bash Schumacher. Exchange him for Vettel and we have ourselves another Garry Walker. Just a blind hater who's life is so sad he's got to bore other people to death with it.

Anywho, now for the topic of the thread:

#1 - Sterling Moss. Biggest Gentleman and sportsman ever.

#2 - Mario Andretti. Started racing shortly after the wheel was invented raced everything from wheelie bins to F1 cars and won almost everything along the way, well into his 50s. Simple a great driver.

#3 - Alex Zanardi. No words needed - just the most inspiring person ever. Even if he never made it in the dog-eat-dog world of F1, he's one of the greatest heroes I had the privilege to witness.

Coulthard Fan
12th February 2013, 22:13
Thanks for the hate love you babes xoxo

Coulthard Fan
12th February 2013, 22:24
Back to a serious note...
I can't stand Schumacher the bloke bullied his way through his career, not to mention always having the best machinery minus the Jordan!
I admit since his return to F1 in 2010 he has changed he seems more approachable and has seemed to lose the arragance he once had in a bundance!
I just prefer a driver that works his arse of to win a title not just winning by having the most reliable/best car!

Coulthard Fan
12th February 2013, 22:28
There was a video on YouTube a couple of years ago called the Truth about Michael Schumacher was very interesting it has been taken down now for copyright reasons.

Natalie.S
12th February 2013, 23:31
I just prefer a driver that works his arse of to win a title not just winning by having the most reliable/best car!
Well if there's 1 thing Michael is known for with folk who actually understand something about F1, it is working his arse off. The days he spend pounding the car around Fiorano are legendary stuff, Byrne and Todt have often talked about that.

Now off you go to find a proper reason to dislike Schumi and YouTube videos that magically disappear don't count ;)

dj_bytedisaster
12th February 2013, 23:51
I can't stand Schumacher the bloke bullied his way through his career, not to mention always having the best machinery minus the Jordan

You obviously missed the seasons 1994, 1996, 1997 and 1998 in which he did not have the best car. He pushed the title fight to the last race in a V8 Ford powered Benetton vs a V10 Renault powered Newey car despite losing three races to DSQ's or bans. Yeah, he so bullied Hill into being crap with a superior car. Really dude, stop the hating, it's not worth it.

rjbetty
13th February 2013, 00:14
You obviously missed the seasons 1994, 1996, 1997 and 1998 in which he did not have the best car. He pushed the title fight to the last race in a V8 Ford powered Benetton vs a V10 Renault powered Newey car despite losing three races to DSQ's or bans. Yeah, he so bullied Hill into being crap with a superior car. Really dude, stop the hating, it's not worth it.

You forgot 1995 DJ!!
Also 1999, and contrary to very popular belief, 2000.
I believe the 2001 Ferrari only had a marginal advantage - it was Michael who did the rest.
2005 counts too.

In fact, I believe Michael had the best car for just 5 of his seasons (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2006)

wedge
13th February 2013, 00:33
All time hero is Nigel Mansell. I got into F1 and Indycar because of him. He has his flaws but there was a certain charm that made him a great underdog.

Ayrton Senna - hero but not a fan. Hero as in cult appeal, purity ie. knew no bounds other than driving on the limit

Mintexmemory
13th February 2013, 08:34
Ok Ladies can we hold it right there!!!!! Heroes please, debate about whether or not Norman Wisdom would have won at least 5 Championships in a Brawn uber-design without resorting to 'dodgems' should be moved to another thread - Feel free Coulthard fan.

None of the above should be interpreted as a personal bias, it might very well be - just don't interpret it that way!
Further digression will be eradicated, respect my authoritah ((c) Cartman)

henners88
13th February 2013, 09:03
Alanis Morissette wrote a song with a title that is suited here :p

Mintexmemory
13th February 2013, 09:14
Alanis Morissette wrote a song with a title that is suited here :p

Oi - I said pack it in - anyway Alanis Morisette never gave one decent example of irony -the most ironic thing about that ditty!
International Schumacher-bashing must be carried on (however obliquely, henners88) at the proper time, in the proper place. (Marquis of Queensbury rules)

Coulthard Fan
13th February 2013, 13:23
Natalie S are you just not reading things properly!?!?
Your signature even says tifosi girl can you stop brown nosing Michael for one minute!

Coulthard Fan
13th February 2013, 13:24
This has got way too far out of hand down to me and a few other users! Can we get back on topic please!

Knock-on
13th February 2013, 13:39
Your signature even says tifosi girl

:s hock: The sight of 'Natalie' in a dress is NOT something we need to see on here :D

In The Pits
13th February 2013, 13:56
Top Blokes

Nigel Mansell for his shear grit and determination.

Ayrton Senna for his skill and speed. Also, he died in an F1 car so deserves maximum respect.

Bottom of the pile MSc for his cheating and anti-sportsmanship - I'll never forgive the deliberate crash into Hill, Villeneuve and the rascasse incident.

Tazio
13th February 2013, 16:02
......and Mike will go to his grave a bitter broken man for never having received your forgiveness. :s tareup:

TheFamousEccles
13th February 2013, 23:10
Alan Jones - I was 13 when I read an article in "Wheels" magazine (OZ car mag that had occasional international motorsport coverage) when he was driving the FW06. Apparently that car was a very good one, it's only issue being timing as most other teams had adopted ground effect at that time (1979). The article, if I recall correctly spoke to a few teams/engineers regarding the upcoming FW07 and they were all anticipating that it might be a good thing. How right they were - one WDC and nearly a 2nd (if not for Reutemann). He was a hard man and his duels with Villeneuve were legendary.

Gilles Villeneuve - I have banged on enough about him on other threads, suffice to say I still have his poster on the wall of my shed next to a poster of Mick Doohan.

FAL
14th February 2013, 21:49
I'll repeat what I recently posted in "another place":
To be a "hero" really presupposes some single outstanding deed (eg. rescuing another driver) that outweighs all other faults, or, that the individual really is a person with no scheming "side" whatsoever to them. The latter rules out virtually all successfull people in any sport, business etc. not just F1 or motorsport in general.
In the latter category from F1 I would place Jim Clark and Tony Brooks...and I'm struggling for any other names.

D-Type
14th February 2013, 22:14
Ok Ladies can we hold it right there!!!!! Heroes please, debate about whether or not Norman Wisdom would have won at least 5 Championships in a Brawn uber-design without resorting to 'dodgems' should be moved to another thread - Feel free Coulthard fan.

None of the above should be interpreted as a personal bias, it might very well be - just don't interpret it that way!
Further digression will be eradicated, respect my authoritah ((c) Cartman)
I moved this thread onto the history board as it relates to history.

I will endorse Mintexmemory's warning. Behave yourselves.

No personal abuse.
Attack the post not the poster (if you must)
And as it's the history forum stick to facts not fantasies.

wedge
15th February 2013, 16:13
I'll repeat what I recently posted in "another place":
To be a "hero" really presupposes some single outstanding deed (eg. rescuing another driver) that outweighs all other faults, or, that the individual really is a person with no scheming "side" whatsoever to them. The latter rules out virtually all successfull people in any sport, business etc. not just F1 or motorsport in general.
In the latter category from F1 I would place Jim Clark and Tony Brooks...and I'm struggling for any other names.

Hero is an abused word.

It means different things to different people.

There's the 'hero driver' who takes great risks at driving to the limit yet sets hearts racing but you have to be able to appreciate/separate this positive aspect with the negatives.

There are legends of the sport that looked up upon as 'heroes'.

Or there's the true or should that be contemporary definition of hero as a person who performs an act of goodness that is more or less sacrificial ie. saving a persons life.

To that end with the last definition one person that springs to mind is David Purley who tried in vain to save the life of Roger Williamson at the 1973 Dutch GP. Who didn't even bother to stop despite being vocal for greater safety improvements and went on to win the race? A wee chap by the name of Jackie Stewart....

Tazio
15th February 2013, 19:04
Who didn't even bother to stop despite being vocal for greater safety improvements and went on to win the race? A wee chap by the name of Jackie Stewart....Really Wedge? I mean Purley was certainly a hero however:

Graham Hill, Chris Amon, James Hunt, Ronnie Peterson, Niki Lauda, Emerson Fittipaldi, Clay Regazzoni, Carlos Pace, Carlos Reutemann, François Cevert, Peter Revson, Jean-Pierre Beltoise, as well as everyone else in the field didn't stop, why single out JYS :confused:
It is my understanding that race control screwed up by thinking it was Purley's car that crashed, and seeing that he was not hurt let the race continue under yellow. The other drivers said to a man that they thought Purley was trying to put a fire out in his own car, and didn't know that a second car/driver had been involved.
Why you want to trash JYS out in the race he broke Jim Clark's record, and became to become winningest pilot in F1 history?

wedge
15th February 2013, 20:36
I never explicitly trashed JYS.

Merely suggested a line of argument for one to think about/open to debate and not one which I fully advocate.

Tazio
16th February 2013, 15:25
Fair enough sir.

Garry Walker
16th February 2013, 16:08
I have no heroes, I never have had nor will I ever. But there are people who are to be admired for different reasons. Out of drivers, I could point out Schumacher, Senna, Räikkönen, Irvine, Berger, Keke Rosberg.

Murray Walker.
Oh come on!!

Those are three names most wont argue with.

Even those few (we know who they are ;) ) who werent keen on Murray Walker must recognise that he got many semi interested fans hooked with his loud, excited, grab you by the throat style.

LOL. I would like to grab Murray by his throat indeed and tell him to stop raping the ears of innocent people with his drivel.

There was a video on YouTube a couple of years ago called the Truth about Michael Schumacher was very interesting it has been taken down now for copyright reasons.
LOL. 9/11 conspiracy theories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9/11_conspiracy_theories) Considering your brainpower, you should find that good reading.

steveaki13
21st February 2013, 21:43
Why Irvine Garry? Would just be interested to know. Alot of people often critise or laugh at Irvine. I think he done a good job.

Ash Smalley
22nd February 2013, 19:24
I would suggest hamilton and vettel combined.. but everyone has different view points!

steveaki13
22nd February 2013, 21:26
I always had a soft spot too for Rubens. He was a genuinely nice guy for the most part and despite being reguarded by many as Schumi's door mate. He actually had a very good F1 career in terms of wins, podiums and points. Of course holding the record for F1 races entered also is a special achievement

23rd February 2013, 15:03
Im sure that E.T. - Atari 2600 is the worst video game of all time, thats why I voted, but I gotta admit there are a few games in this poll that Ive didnt know about.

steveaki13
23rd February 2013, 22:58
Im sure that E.T. - Atari 2600 is the worst video game of all time, thats why I voted, but I gotta admit there are a few games in this poll that Ive didnt know about.

I would like to now how a Ban works.

I know I think I have found a candidate here, so someone can show me.

rjbetty
23rd February 2013, 23:33
"So how do we know who's human?!"

I propose the blood test from my favourite film "The Thing". Aki, tie everyone down: We're gonna find out who's who around here.

Rollo
24th February 2013, 22:42
Jackie Stewart - Thanks to him "being a tool" drivers are able to go out and race week after week without one of them being killed at the rate of one every three weeks. If you compare the numbers of drivers who died, to those who've died since Sir Jackie started championing greater safety, you'd be shocked.

D-Type
26th February 2013, 15:56
My heroes:

Tazio Nuvolari - Yes, he does qualify as he raced a Maserati in an early Formula 1 race. A racer and competitor through and through, the legends are legion:
In his motorcycling days he crashed through a barbed wire fence. His back was so severely lacerated that when he was bandaged up he had difficulty in moving. Six days later they lifted him onto his bike and gave him a push start and he went on to win the Grand Prix at Monza. The Mille Miglia where he caught up with Varzi who had started before him, so he switched off his lights so Varzi couldn't see him and followed him over the mountains in the dark. The famous 1935 German Grand Prix where he beat the Mercedes and Auto-Union teams in his outdated Alfa Romeo. In practice for the 1938 Donington GP he hit a stag, he had the stag's head mounted and sent home to Mantua, and he went on to win the GP. In 1947 he entered the Mille Miglia in an 1100cc Cisitalia and was leading until the rain got to his electrics and he finished second. All in all probably the greatest racer ever.

Juan Manuel Fangio - He was 37 before he came to Europe. This can be attributed to the remoteness of Argentina and to WW2. He had won wild inter-city marathons in Argentina and such circuit racing as there was. When he arrived in Europe he was immediately successful winning his first Formula 1 race at San Remo after the Maserati mechanics had said the car was not repairable following a blow-up in practice and he put in an all-nighter rebuilding the engine. His World Championship career and five championships is well known. He also put in some tremendous sports car drives including finishing second in the Mille Miglia in an Alfa Romeo and winning Sebring in the fast but fragile Maserati 450S. The outstanding thing about Fangio was the universal esteem and respect he was held in by his peers. They have all gone on record as saying that in equal cars they couldn't match him. A great driver and a great man.

Stirling Moss - Being British I was subjected to the full Moss hype in my formative years. He wasn't the first British driver to drive for a continental team and win a grand prix - Hawthorn was. He never won the World Championship. But he was the first British professional driver devoting 100% of his time to being "Mr Motor Racing" including appearing on billboards advertising BP petrol etc. He competed, and won, in all forms of racing - rallying, Formula 3 and Formula 2, Formula 1, sports cars. Certainly once Fangio retired he was considered "the man to beat" by his fellow drivers.

Graham Hill - He was not a 'natural' driver in the sense that some were, he had no money behind him, but he learned his trade well. Well enough to win two World Championships, one Indianapolis, one Le Mans and five Monaco Grands Prix. His strength of character held the Lotus team together in 1968 after Jim Clark's death. Arguably he should have retired earlier which rather tarnishes his record in some eyes.

Jim Clark - The complete contrast to Graham Hill - a total 'natural' to the extent that he didn't know how he did it and was hopeless as a test or development driver. Compared to Moss and Hill he was a modest introvert. But he could drive anything. My favourite story is when he asked to try a vintage ERA at Rouen: despite never having driven a car with a preselector gearbox, after five laps he was faster than the car's owner who knew the car inside out. Two World Championships, one Indianapolis and a 3rd at Le Mans in a private entry. Considered by his peers as the man they measured themselves up to. His death shocked everyone and prompted the retirement of at least one driver.

Sir Jackie Stewart - another natural. He was the heir to Jim Clark's mantle. Three World Championships. A relentless campaigner for driver safety. This was misunderstood by many at the time, but some of his critics have later grudgingly admitted he was right. Later the owner of a successful F1 team. And let's not forget that he suffered from dyslexia which he didn't find out until he was retired from racing.

As I grew older I no longer had heroes as such. It's difficult to view someone the same age as yourself or younger as a hero.

If I could have remained permanently 14 or 15 I would have added the following to the list

Denny Hulme
Niki Lauda
James Hunt
Mario Andretti
Gilles Villeneuve
Alain Prost
and maybe Mikka Hakkinen
plus a couple of others

I would not include Ayrton Senna or Michael Schumacher on the list as their on-track actions (deliberately driving into the opposition) disqualify them from being classified as heroes.

And I won't consider the current crop until their careers are over.

Garry Walker
28th February 2013, 16:41
Why Irvine Garry? Would just be interested to know. Alot of people often critise or laugh at Irvine. I think he done a good job.

He was just a funny guy. I like funny people.

dj_bytedisaster
28th February 2013, 16:47
Yeah, because they are so unlike you...

Garry Walker
28th February 2013, 16:58
Yeah, because they are so unlike you...
Well, we can't all be such comedy titans such as you, my dear mental prisoner :D .

henners88
28th February 2013, 17:06
Reminds me of the scene in Goodfellas, 'funny how, what I'm a clown I amuse you?' :p

D-Type
28th February 2013, 19:17
Children!

Cool it right now. Personal insults are simply niot allowed.

rjbetty
28th February 2013, 23:09
He was just a funny guy. I like funny people.

What impressed me about Eddie that even though he wasn't the second best driver in the world, he did seem to just get better and better with age. He was booted out of F1 too early! :(

wedge
1st March 2013, 14:43
I liked Irvine. Spoke his mind, never whined at being a no.2 Ferrari driver and he unlapped himself from Senna!

rjbetty
1st March 2013, 17:06
Eddie was funny but I can't remember what his reasoning was for declaring that he was "quicker than Mika". It must have been because this was in 2001 when Hakkinen was well below par? But at this time, Eddie was outqualified 5 times in a row by Pedro de la Rosa and Hakkinen domainted the British GP.

I'm amazed at his thinking that allows him to believe even today that he was the 2nd best driver around. His explanation for Barrichello being far more impressive at Ferrari is simply that Michael wasn't as good after '98!! Wow, brushed off and dealt with, just like that!

sandokan
24th April 2013, 19:08
Senna for me...

D-Type
24th April 2013, 22:14
Senna for me...
Please can we have a paragraph saying why he is a hero to you.

msratings
24th April 2013, 23:04
I am surprised he has only been mentioned a couple of times but my Hero would have to be Jim Clark.

He was Britain's first double world champion and raced purely for Lotus. In fact he was the only driver to win any GP in a Lotus between 1962 and 1967.. and he won 25 races in that time (ok one of them was at the start of 1968) and not one of his team mates managed to get a single win between them.

M Needforspeed
24th September 2013, 00:56
I stopped having heroes when the sport became distanced from the fans and the corporate thing took hold

Jim Clark - would have beaten Schumacher in the third or fourth best car after Ferrari because he could extract something from a car that no one even knew was there.

Ronnie Peterson - Woodcote flat, nuff said

reading this is one of the best dream I was dreaming of !

Well said about Jim Clark . From now, how often I will pray for your words to be words of God . let's alls judge things like a child, for a while !

anfield5
24th September 2013, 02:45
Colin Chapman - brilliant thinker and innovator
Jim Clark - possibly the best driver ever and a total gentleman, proved you don't need to be an egocentric a-hole to be a champion
Riccardo Patrese - not too sure why, but probably due to the way he handled all of the vitriol thrown at him by dick head like James Hunt after the tragic death of Ronnie Petersen (Patrese didn't make contact with anyone at the start of the race, Hunt is the one who hit Petersen, but Patrese was blamed).
Damon Hill
Michael Schumacher
Ayrton Senna

journeyman racer
13th November 2013, 12:45
If I had to pick one, it's be Nigel Mansell. Initially, it was because he was good enough to beat the best drivers, even if he wasn't considered the outright best on his own. It wasn't til a while after he retired that I truly appreciated how good he was. (I only started following F1 from about 1990)

555-04Q2
13th November 2013, 14:32
If I had to pick one, it's be Nigel Mansell. Initially, it was because he was good enough to beat the best drivers, even if he wasn't considered the outright best on his own. It wasn't til a while after he retired that I truly appreciated how good he was. (I only started following F1 from about 1990)

He also showed in the Masters Series that he was good. Mansell was actually underrated IMO. He may have only won one F1 championship in a dominant Williams, but he also had 33 wins which is no mean feat!

anfield5
13th November 2013, 20:04
[quote="journeyman racer":uy7m2aay]If I had to pick one, it's be Nigel Mansell. Initially, it was because he was good enough to beat the best drivers, even if he wasn't considered the outright best on his own. It wasn't til a while after he retired that I truly appreciated how good he was. (I only started following F1 from about 1990)

He also showed in the Masters Series that he was good. Mansell was actually underrated IMO. He may have only won one F1 championship in a dominant Williams, but he also had 33 wins which is no mean feat![/quote:uy7m2aay]

Agreed, it is just a shame his legacy is tainted by his awful attitude out of the car. There was no one in history that could whinge and complain like Mansell could. Behind the wheel no one gave more or tried harder and some of his drives (87 British GP pass in Piquet on hangar straight, and his win from near the back in a Ferrari in Hungary) were simply astonishing.

555-04Q2
14th November 2013, 07:42
[quote="journeyman racer":22fj4h9i]If I had to pick one, it's be Nigel Mansell. Initially, it was because he was good enough to beat the best drivers, even if he wasn't considered the outright best on his own. It wasn't til a while after he retired that I truly appreciated how good he was. (I only started following F1 from about 1990)

He also showed in the Masters Series that he was good. Mansell was actually underrated IMO. He may have only won one F1 championship in a dominant Williams, but he also had 33 wins which is no mean feat!

Agreed, it is just a shame his legacy is tainted by his awful attitude out of the car. There was no one in history that could whinge and complain like Mansell could. Behind the wheel no one gave more or tried harder and some of his drives (87 British GP pass in Piquet on hangar straight, and his win from near the back in a Ferrari in Hungary) were simply astonishing.[/quote:22fj4h9i]

I think it would be a close race between Mansell and Ron Denis for biggest whingers in F1 LOL :p: Denis though gets my vote :D

anfield5
14th November 2013, 20:05
One of the biggest black spots was the Xerox-gate scandal from 2007

555-04Q2
15th November 2013, 06:33

Yeah it was. I am pretty sure it was not the first time happened. It probably goes on all the time, the others are just smart enough not to get caught!!!!

D-Type
15th November 2013, 21:36

Yeah it was. I am pretty sure it was not the first time happened. It probably goes on all the time, the others are just smart enough not to get caught!!!!

Wrong thread? This one is titled "Your all time F1 heroes!

Doc Austin
17th November 2013, 01:14
I gotta go with Jackie Stewart. Drivers were getting killed left and right, and Jackie did something about it. He left motor racing a far better sport. He was also a pretty good driver.

journeyman racer
17th November 2013, 12:30
He was also a pretty good driver.I have no doubt he was. However, I have found it peculiar over the years. Whenever the topic of top 5, 10 drivers of all time are discussed, in all forms of media, he's rarely, if at all, mentioned. It's the same names everywhere, every time, Senna, Clark, Schumacher, Fangio, Villeneuve, Prost, Moss, whoever else...

Doc Austin
17th November 2013, 19:08
I have no doubt he was. However, I have found it peculiar over the years. Whenever the topic of top 5, 10 drivers of all time are discussed, in all forms of media, he's rarely, if at all, mentioned.

Heroes is a different discussion from greatest drivers, so my views are simply that ........... views.

I think it has to do with numbers and total wins. Stewart raced in the days when there were only 10 or 12 GPs per year, and he retired in the absolute prime of his career. He certainly had four or five more good years left. Had Stewart been able to race 20 times per year in the 69 Matra and 71/73 Tyrrels, we would have a completely different picture. As it is, I believe his winning percentage is pretty close to Schumacher's.

What makes Stewart great in my estimation is that he realized the danger and did his best to change things. Then he went out and won multiple championships in spite of knowing the dangers he was up against. In the middle of all of this, his friends were getting killed all around him. That's a level of commitment I simply can't imagine.

It's the same names everywhere, every time, Senna, Clark, Schumacher, Fangio, Villeneuve, Prost, Moss, whoever else

I'm not sure how a guy with three championships and a 27% win rate gets overlooked in favor of Gilles (another of my heroes) who had no championships and only six (or so) wins. Or Moss, also with no championships. That doesn't mean they weren't great, though. They just did not achieve what Stewart did.

In the end I think Stewart will be remembered more for the safety crusade than anything else, and that probably contributes to his being overlooked. I don't mean that he is respected less because of it, but I think people remember him more for that work that his driving.