PDA

View Full Version : Pope Benedict XVI 'is to resign'

SGWilko
11th February 2013, 11:06
Interesting headline that caught my eye this morning. ANyone know any more on this?

BBC News - Pope Benedict XVI is to resign (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304)

steveaki13
11th February 2013, 11:25
Unusual for an abdication if you like.

I cant honestly believe that it was 8 years ago he became Pope.

Mark
11th February 2013, 12:16
I cant honestly believe that it was 8 years ago he became Pope.

I know! I would have said about 3 years ago!

henners88
11th February 2013, 12:18
Its one of those stories that is interesting but will dominate the news in the coming days whether you care or not.

Rudy Tamasz
11th February 2013, 14:29
Its one of those stories that is interesting but will dominate the news in the coming days whether you care or not.

Indeed. At the same time the Pope is not the worst celebrity to make news.

henners88
11th February 2013, 14:48
Sure but you wouldn't get the BBC dedicating a weeks worth of top headlines to a Lindsay Lohan trial for example. I can imagine this story is set to last for at least the next week or so until a replacement is found much to the annoyance of some of us interested in more important news.

N4D13
11th February 2013, 14:53
http://s7.postimage.org/dnl6o8ehz/180px_Ratzinger_Poder.jpg

It looks like the Jedi have won this time...

schmenke
11th February 2013, 15:10
Can he not fulfill his duties for God's sake?

Mintexmemory
11th February 2013, 16:25
Clearly providing the answer to 'Is the Pope Catholic?' was constantly testing his faith (just like Fr Dougall McGuire)

Spafranco
11th February 2013, 17:20
Was there another instance of a Pope resigning in the past century. Geez, these guys live to be about 150.

I want the new pope to be from Outer Mongolia, a supporter of Genghis and Kublai Khan, be a member of the right wing group supporting Mormonazi's and be a Glenn Beck salesman acquitted with a chalk board and a devout lover of all that is crazy. Need I say more ;wink wink Mrs Bachmann and Jane Brewer(lover of all things not related to her sanity). You name may in fact start off with Sanatorium, or Nannazi or Pope O' Really. Oh well, we can only hope.
Maybe Father Maher or Father of evolution Father Dawkins. Dang, I don't even think they are priests or even bishops or archbishops or even say, cardinals.
Going away to my room to get my red pill, or is that a blue one. Dang-it, I'll take both. I did yesterday and didn't even have to go to bed :)

steveaki13
11th February 2013, 17:58
I thought I heard on the news I think, that no Pope as resigned for 500+ years. Not 100% sure if thats true, just what I thought I heard, but the currant Pope must have had a more pressurised reign??

Gregor-y
11th February 2013, 18:17
Let's see if the hierarchy really changes this time. Benedict was JP2's hit man/enforcer behind the scenes so this could be the start of big changes. Sadly all our office clergy is out today, including one that was forced out of official circles when Chicago's latest Cardinal was appointed. Since the rest are all Vincentians I don't think they really care, though.

Tazio
11th February 2013, 18:45
This is not a big deal to me. I think it is commendable that for whatever reason he is stepping down, as long as it is of his own volition, and especialy if it is for his stated reason. At least he is not angling at being eventually canonized. ;)

Dave B
11th February 2013, 19:04
So now we need another creepy old man who doesn't mind wearing ridiculous outfits, who uses good deeds to cover up industrial-scale child abuse.

Oh you know where this is going, write your own punchline.

Roamy
11th February 2013, 19:45
So now we need another creepy old man who doesn't mind wearing ridiculous outfits, who uses good deeds to cover up industrial-scale child abuse.

Oh you know where this is going, write your own punchline.

right on Dave - Hopefully they will get a young guy who likes pussy in there.

donKey jote
11th February 2013, 22:16
In a way I guess it's a shame to see anyone go without having done ANYthing positive at all. :dozey:
Pope Benedict the who?

Rollo
11th February 2013, 22:17
Oh great, now we have to sit through another one of Simon Cowell's stupid shows like Popestars or Pope Idol.

I hope this happens again, as happened 9 years ago:
BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Betting on the next Pope (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2540369.stm)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38552000/jpg/_38552705_dougal_150.jpg
Most are serious contenders for the papacy, but the inclusion of Father Dougal McGuire of Craggy Island may come as a surprise to the Vatican.
Television viewers will recognise him as the scatterbrained young priest in the Father Ted sitcom. He is the outsider at 1,000-1.

gloomyDAY
12th February 2013, 03:59
Relevant. (http://i.imgur.com/x9lzL2B.jpg)

SGWilko
12th February 2013, 09:10
right on Dave - Hopefully they will get a young guy who likes pussy in there.

Blowfeld? :confused:

BleAivano
12th February 2013, 18:50
I think this article says something about the pope and that have used a pacemaker, since a few years ago,
that he recently had a battery change and that he seems to have lung/breathing problems too?

Any Italian speaking person that could give us a summary of the contents of the article?
I ran it trough google but its hard to tell how accurate it is.

La Stampa - Il Papa e il pacemaker: (http://www.lastampa.it/2013/02/12/italia/cronache/papa-tre-mesi-fa-un-intervento-al-cuore-fducb1MHPhm9RnaL8GfntK/pagina.html)

race aficionado
12th February 2013, 19:34
Bring back Jesus.
He will clean the house.

Brown, Jon Brow
12th February 2013, 23:10
I wonder if his resignation is purely health related or if another scandal is brewing?

Personally I'd prefer it if they didn't bother finding a new pope, but apparently holding this view makes me offensive and intolerant. :p

Roamy
13th February 2013, 07:02
Bring back Jesus.
He will clean the house.
He may need help so hopefully Moses will come too!!

Rudy Tamasz
13th February 2013, 11:23
He actually promised he would and I don't have a slightest reason to question it. :)

Tazio
13th February 2013, 15:01
He may need help so hopefully Moses will come too!!Moses is currently working for the Muslims :dozey:

dj_bytedisaster
13th February 2013, 17:07
What the heck is wrong with the church? Second pope resignation in 900 years already :o Anywho - his resignation makes perfect sense. He didn't want to become pope in the first place as he thought at 78 he was too old for it. They elected him anyway and now that he's 85 and becoming visibly frail, he quits while still having a shred of dignity. He doesn't want to be seen as a drooling vegetablle, like John Paul II in his last years. Funnily enough, having the guts to abdicate as opposed to waiting for the grim reaper to end his reign is the most progressive thing he's ever done.

Mark
13th February 2013, 20:05
Since those over 80 are not permitted to become pope. Perhaps 80 years old is a good retirement age as being unable to do your job is no good for anyone.

Rollo
13th February 2013, 21:35
I wonder if his resignation is purely health related or if another scandal is brewing?

ACC defends going public on drugs in sport | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/national/acc-defends-going-public-on-drugs-in-sport/story-e6frfku9-1226576522665)
THE head of Australia's peak crime-fighting body went public with headline grabbing allegations of widespread use of drugs in sport to fix the problem, but says it is unfortunate some people felt they had been tarnished.
"We knew organised crime was manipulating this in a way that exacerbated those risks."
- The Daily Telegraph, 12th Feb 2013

AHAH!

Now we know who's behind the 'drugs in sport' scandal rocking Australia at the moment... The Pope. We should have seen in last year when he was mistakenly bought for 770 lakhs rupees by the Chennai Super Kings three years ago and was seen hanging around the clunhouse of the Melbourne Storm last year.
I bet when it finally all comes out, he'll be linked to all sorts of sports drug scandals going back to Montreal in '76.

What better way to hide from it all, than by becoming Pope?

dj_bytedisaster
13th February 2013, 23:23
Since those over 80 are not permitted to become pope. Perhaps 80 years old is a good retirement age as being unable to do your job is no good for anyone.

You can become pope at 90. The 80 years restriction applies to Cardinals taking part in the conclave, but there is no restriction on who they elect. So a Cardinal of 82 years would not be permitted to elect the new pope, but he's eligible to be elected.

gadjo_dilo
14th February 2013, 06:40
Bring back Jesus.
He will clean the house.

He came once, still most of you don't believe it.
If he comes again most of you will not realize it. :laugh:

Bagwan
14th February 2013, 13:41
Fear not , my children , for the bagwan is here .

The bagwan shalt not forsake even those whom shalt root for Lewis Hamilton .

I will start with hearing confessions now , so all you sinners , let me absolve you .

Rudy Tamasz
14th February 2013, 14:36

I will start with hearing confessions now , so all you sinners , let me absolve you .

I root for Lightning McQueen. Is that a sin?

Tazio
14th February 2013, 16:11

Bless me father for I have sinned, it's been 33 years since my last confession, these are my sins:

I have, and continue to root for Hamilton.
I'm currently coveting my neighbor's wife. :angel:

Roamy
14th February 2013, 16:26

All you sinners turn your lights on - there is a monster under the cross looking for a alter boy to boss

janneppi
14th February 2013, 17:18

Is your faith based on waiting for the J-man to return?

Daniel
14th February 2013, 18:02
Now I might not be able to say "is the pope evil looking" as an answer to questions :(

donKey jote
14th February 2013, 18:26
He came once, still most of you don't believe it.
If he comes again most of you will not realize it. :laugh:

according to Billy's missus even the Doc came once, albeit a long time ago. She hardly realized it either. :andrea: :s ailor: :arrows:

Garry Walker
14th February 2013, 20:49
At least the news aren't headline by the oh so fascianting "karda****ian" familly for two days.

Rollo
14th February 2013, 22:12
At least the news aren't headline by the oh so fascianting "karda****ian" familly for two days.

Have they attacked Deep Space Nine or something?

Robinho
15th February 2013, 04:23
Having been a member of the Hitler youth and head of the Catholic church, its clear he's been head hunted by Satan ;)

Sent from the other dimension using a Ouija board

gadjo_dilo
15th February 2013, 06:39
Bless me father for I have sinned, it's been 33 years since my last confession, these are my sins:

I have, and continue to root for Hamilton.
I'm currently coveting my neighbor's wife. :angel:

Only 2 sins in 33 years...
Just who do you think you're fooling, Doc?

Now be a good boy and spill the beans. :p

gadjo_dilo
15th February 2013, 06:44
according to Billy's missus even the Doc came once, albeit a long time ago. She hardly realized it either. :andrea: :s ailor: :arrows:
Come on...
It's a family forum, you know.... :colour:

Tazio
15th February 2013, 08:39

Now be a good boy and spill the beans. :p Actually when I was a youngster I used to just confess that I disobeyed my parents, I figured that covered everything. :confused: :laugh:

gadjo_dilo
15th February 2013, 08:43
Actually when I was a youngster I used to just confess that I disobeyed my parents, I figured that covered everything. :confused: :laugh:

That means you're a liar as well. :devil:

Tazio
15th February 2013, 09:08
So I burn in hell, whats it to you? :s mokin:

gadjo_dilo
15th February 2013, 09:18
I secretly hoped to don't meet you there....

Tazio
15th February 2013, 09:30
You're not very good at keeping a secret! :confused: ;)

gadjo_dilo
15th February 2013, 09:36
At least I'm honest.
You're but a dirty cheater on Word Games.

Tazio
15th February 2013, 09:58
:s tareup: Sweetie, all I did was edit my entry when I realized I had entered a title in response to what was not the last post. That is not cheating dear heart! Why are you being so reactive? :dozey:

gadjo_dilo
15th February 2013, 10:12
Because you hadn't the balls to admit your mistake but adopted the atitude of " neither garlic I've eaten nor my mouth is smelling" instead. :vampire:

Tazio
15th February 2013, 10:27
I didn't realize it was that big of a deal. Actually this board is programmed to note an edit if someone posts something on the thread before said edit. Why don't you complain to the establishment, or don't you have the labia to do it? :p :

gadjo_dilo
15th February 2013, 10:55
I also do mistakes and edit posts but I’m never in denial of this to make the other look a fool. As for having some certain female anatomical parts I have to remember you that unlike men’s case , it’s the heart that tend to affect women’s behaviour.

Tazio
15th February 2013, 11:10
Wow, I wasn't trying to make you look a fool it is all in your imagination, why so reactive? You are acting as if you have a really bad persecution complex. Omission is quite a different beast than denial, and I'll thank you to remember that!

gadjo_dilo
15th February 2013, 11:21
You are acting as if you have a really bad persecution complex.

Wow....Now I'm a psycho.... :crazy:

Bagwan
15th February 2013, 13:50
Ah , my children , do not fight .
Good doctor , say five "hail Gadjos" , to be absolved of the sin of wordplay .
Gadjo , say two "Hail Doctors" for your sins of the heart .

Now , go back to your opposite corners of the ring .

Bagwan
15th February 2013, 13:54
I root for Lightning McQueen. Is that a sin?

Rudy , say three "Hail Disneys" to be absolved in 3D .

Bagwan
15th February 2013, 13:57
Bring back Jesus.
He will clean the house.

What does a carpenter know about house cleaning ?

Dave B
15th February 2013, 17:51

Now be a good boy and spill the beans. :p
Surely spilling the beans is in itself a sin!