PDA

View Full Version : Books on history of rallying.

ad1max
9th February 2013, 15:38
Hi all
Sorry if this thread already exists :D ,but I am a newbie and want to study about history of it.

The Problem is

1.I'm in India.
2.Indian bookstores have no books related to automobile history.(I might find technical books,but want to read stories)
3.Not very comfy using online paid resources.(have been scammed before)

So I would need your help,direct me to pages having all the basics,or eBooks that can you can share,or whatever you can offer to help me :D .

Thanks in advance!

Regards
ad1max

D-Type
10th February 2013, 10:55
I appreciate the problems you faced being based in India

I had a look at Amazon.co.uk. They list 165 books under 'Rallying', admittedly some are wongly listed so maybe 140-150. Subjects include Rallycourse, individual rallies, car studies, biographies and autobiographies. About half of them are available secondhand for under £10 so even if you add another £10 for packaging and delivery you should still find some affordable ones.

As I only have a sidelong interest in rallying, I don't know any good websites. I do know that many of them have not progressed beyond the stage of compiling statistics. Perhaps some of our rally members can help identify good ones?

But it's surprising what Google can turn up. Having grown up in Kenya I do like to read about the Safari and have found pages on websites covering Joginder Singh, Volkswagens in the Safari, Peugeots in the Safari, amongst others. These were on sites that are not directly focussed on rallies and rallying. So some information is 'out there'.

Good hunting!

ad1max
11th February 2013, 11:40
Thank you D-Type, Only problem is that importing a book.......online payments....customs....(you get the drift).

ad1max
11th February 2013, 11:45
Nonetheless that's my issue.
Can you just recommend me some "must" read books?

D-Type
11th February 2013, 22:35
To save repetition, have a look at this current thread (http://www.motorsportforums.com/history/156948-new-forum.html) which should give you a few pointers.

Depending on how the two threads evolve, I might merge them at some stage in the future.