PDA

View Full Version : The Super Bowl - The American Football yearly grand finale

race aficionado
1st February 2013, 20:30
That is SUPER Bowl . . . .

I for one am rooting for The San Francisco 49ers - even though I also like the Baltimore Ravens - so please just give us a great ol' american football game.

But what always amazes me is the price willing to be payed by companies to air one of their commercials: 3.8 million US dollars for a :30 spot!!!!!! :eek:

Gregor-y
1st February 2013, 22:42
Baltimore is full of Art Modell's quitters that left Cleveland in the lurch when they moved. For that alone I can't root for them. I hope Joe Montana throws five touchdowns! :p

Starter
1st February 2013, 23:27
Baltimore is full of Art Modell's quitters that left Cleveland in the lurch when they moved. For that alone I can't root for them. I hope Joe Montana throws five touchdowns! :p
Ah, sore losers :p . If the Cleveland fans had been on board, they never would have moved. Now you guys get to have the same experience Colts fans had when the team packed up and left ion the middle of the night.

Johnny U is still the best!!

Tazio
2nd February 2013, 01:54
I became an instant fan of the Ravens their very first season when I realized that the name is based on the city’s association with Edgar Allen Poe.

The name was chosen in 1996 from the results of a poll conducted by the Baltimore Sun. Poe wrote this, one of his most famous poems, while living in Baltimore back in the 1830s. The teams mascots are even named Edgar, Allan, and Poe!

The Baltimore Ravens are named after Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven." - OMG Facts (http://www.omg-facts.com/view/Facts/20882)
Then there is this:

BALTIMORE (AP) _ Now that the Baltimore Ravens have won the Super Bowl, it's time for Hillary Rodham Clinton and Charles Schumer to get literary.

Sen. Barbara Mikulski, D-Md., said Monday she is looking forward to hearing the New York senators recite "The Raven'' on the steps of the U.S. Capitol. The team is named after the classic poem by Edgar Allan Poe, whose grave is in Baltimore.

If the Giants had won the Super Bowl, Mikulski and fellow Sen. Paul Sarbanes agreed to sing the Frank Sinatra standard ``New York, New York'' at the Capitol.

"I expect a phone call within the hour and I want it to be appropriately humble,'' Mikulski said Monday.

New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani also has to pay off his bet with Baltimore Mayor Martin O'Malley _ tickets to Broadway shows and bathing New York's City Hall in purple lights.

New York Gov. George Pataki also owes Maryland Gov. Parris Glendening a bushel of Long Island Little Neck clams
N.Y. Senators Must Recite 'Raven' (http://www.apnewsarchive.com/2001/N-Y-Senators-Must-Recite-Raven-/id-5ed2593ed4c051bdd9fbd740164702c8)

Maybe someone who isn't suffering from Dementia could back me up on this or correct me, but as I recall it Hillary recited "The Raven' in period attire, and turned it into a positive media event, but I've searched and can't find any images of the recitation.

Johnny U is still the best!! Johnny U was a great one; he even played for the San Diego Chargers at the end of his career. In my opinion the most gifted QB to ever play the game was Joe "Willie" Namath

Ravens "Evermore" http://i46.tinypic.com/hv9ul3.gif

call_me_andrew
2nd February 2013, 03:08
That reminds me. Did the Poe Toaster show up this year?

Tazio
2nd February 2013, 03:28
No! The Poe Toaster is Nevermore :(

gloomyDAY
2nd February 2013, 06:33
Green Bay fan, here. We lost to the 49ers during the playoffs, so I'm hoping we lost to the best team in the NFL. I just can't root for the Ravens because Ray Lewis is an accessory to murder, Art is an asshole, and John Harbaugh isn't nearly as psychotic as Jim Harbaugh.

Here's Jim for those of you who don't know him:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PSEGFL5ql0w/UPzYdq8e6ZI/AAAAAAAAEbQ/H2gGptfgCNo/s1600/jim-harbaugh.gif

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1348847/jimmy_spit.gif

Go 49ers!

Tazio
2nd February 2013, 08:11
Great reasons for pulling for the Niners Glue :confused:
Tomorrow I hope Ray is the perpetrator and kevorks Kapernick into “a far better place”, but I’ll settle for a solid accomplice roll
Of course Alex Smith (Helix High school, San Diego) will be ready and would finally get his job back :laugh:
Maybe Ray can have a two-for and knock Smith into tomorrow as well :bulb:
Actually I like both of these teams which is unusual for me because more times than not I find myself wishing both teams could lose.
Not only did Jim play for the Chargers, he coached The University of San Diego (not to be confused with SDSU) to a I-AA Mid Major final season national #1 ranking before moving on to Stanford!
This should be a great game

BTW Jim is a chill dude.

At USD
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQt7AmhFZN_PLbAunrVee9XFhdeO2wxE X8ZWVCoWLA6ynkYfHCl

Niners
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMjJjMCL0e3fA6yuWgFFvz8o82G0vFd Tw08aeqNbTvbDtOTn6Qeg

anthonyvop
3rd February 2013, 01:34
The Super Bowl - The American Football yearly grand finale

It not American Football. The Name of the Game is FOOTBALL. What some other people call football is correctly named Soccer.

Ravens 28
49ers 10

1st Ballot and Proud U of Miami Alum Ed Reed will make the King of the douche-bags, Colin Kaepernick, question his abilities.

BDunnell
3rd February 2013, 01:44
It not American Football. The Name of the Game is FOOTBALL. What some other people call football is correctly named Soccer.

Xenophobic, insular rubbish.

Tazio
3rd February 2013, 03:24
Tony, really, "A Rose by any other name!!!"

Ravens 28
49ers 10

1st Ballot and Proud U of Miami Alum Ed Reed will make the King of the douche-bags, Colin Kaepernick, question his abilities.
I hope you're right my man as you know it's all about "The U" including Raytorious L52.

rubbish.
Quite right Ben! I had a feeling with the 6 Nations ruggers playing simultaneously that some friction would materialize. I'm very disappointed it was incited by an American :mad:
Can’t we just get along and enjoy our games/matches?

call_me_andrew
3rd February 2013, 03:58
All I know is my Eagles' special teams haven't been the same since John Harbaugh took the head coaching job in Baltimore.

My favorite play ever was a fake field goal when Koy Detmer lateraled over his shoulder without looking, to David Akers, whom will be kicking for the 49ers.

Ravens 28
49ers 10

Where does Canadian Football fit into that?

FormerFF
3rd February 2013, 04:03

I'm not sure why we call it football anyway, maybe something to do with its derivation from rugby, since that is sometimes known as "rugby football". The ball is kicked on what, maybe 10 percent of the plays? Some other parts of the world call this game "Gridiron", and that seems like a better name.

Personally, I don't much care to see the game, I lost interest in the NFL when I realized it's perfectly acceptable to try to win by injuring your opponent. I'd be curious how other countries view the NFL and American football in general. If you're used to watching what the rest of the world calls football and we Yanks call soccer, I'd think all the stoppages in play would be annoying.

anthonyvop
3rd February 2013, 04:14

Now don't get your panties in a bunch.

gloomyDAY
3rd February 2013, 07:04
Now don't get your panties in a bunch.You will when the Ravens lose.

Tazio
3rd February 2013, 12:35
Personally, I don't much care to see the game, I lost interest in the NFL when I realized it's perfectly acceptable to try to win by injuring your opponent.

With all due respect (and this is in no way a putdown) you have either not followed the NFL or NCAA Football very long, only had a pedestrian interest, or simply haven't paid very close attention to the game in general, because "jacking" your opponent is and always has been perfectly acceptable within the rules. It has always been, and always will be a gladiatorial sport. It is not my favorite sport, but it is what it is. In 1978 Jack Tatum in a perfectly legal but crushing hit (although very recently made illegal) broke Darryl Stingley’s 4th an 5th cervical vertebra resulting in an incomplete spinal injury rendering Stingley a quadriplegic. The only thing that is remarkable about this event is that Stingley died a few years ago with Tatum never having apologized to him or anyone else publicly about the event and took it to the grave, having cashed in on it with a series of best selling Autobiographies. Tatum’s first Autobiography was entitled "They Call Me Assassin"

You will when the Ravens lose.
Tough words, and a classy way to stick your neck out considering SF is a 3.5 point favorite on a neutral field. :s tareup:
My prediction............Pain, serious pain, with Baltimore pulling off the upset in a very close game. And trust me if they don't I will not lose any sleep over it ;)

Starter
3rd February 2013, 12:51
With all due respect (and this is in no way a putdown) you have either not followed the NFL or NCAA Football very long, only had a pedestrian interest, or simply haven't paid very close attention to the game in general, because "jacking" your opponent is and always has been perfectly acceptable within the rules. It has always been, and always will be a gladiatorial sport. It is not my favorite sport, but it is what it is. In 1978 Jack Tatum in a perfectly legal but crushing hit (although very recently made illegal) broke Darryl Stingley’s 4th an 5th cervical vertebra resulting in an incomplete spinal injury rendering Stingley a quadriplegic. The only thing that is remarkable about this event is that Stingley died a few years ago with Tatum never having apologized to him or anyone else publicly about the event and took it to the grave, having cashed in on it with a series of best selling Autobiographies. Tatum’s first Autobiography was entitled "They Call Me Assassin"

Tough words, and a classy way to stick your neck out considering SF is a 3.5 point favorite on a neutral field. :s tareup:
All true, but lets not forget professional hockey where teams have "enforcers", so it's not just (American) football.

Tazio
3rd February 2013, 13:00
All true, but lets not forget professional hockey where teams have "enforcers", so it's not just (American) football.I am certainly not indicting the game, simply telling it as it is. I hope I didn't give that impression, and your point about hockey is well taken. As exciting and technically facinating as football is, the reason it is not my favorite sport is that it is inherently inequitable with silly rules like a player removing his hemet after a play is blown dead can be the determing factor in the outcome of the game.

FormerFF
3rd February 2013, 13:47

My prediction............Pain, serious pain, with Baltimore pulling off the upset in a very close game. And trust me if they don't I will not lose any sleep over it ;)

The event that crystallized that for me was the one that Charles Martin put on Jim McMahon in 1986, after which Martin was suspended for two games. If you didn't see that play, Martin literally picked McMahon up and threw him down on his shoulder a couple of seconds after McMahon had thrown the ball. I had watched the NFL as a kid, lost interest as a preteen, and then went back to it in my mid 20's. After that hit, I was done with it. I still watch NCAA football, as I think they do a much better job of protecting their players. It's always been acceptable to hit your opponent in a way that will make him think twice before he leaves himself vulnerable to another hit, but long term injury is a different thing.

Tazio
3rd February 2013, 14:43
The event that crystallized that for me was the one that Charles Martin put on Jim McMahon in 1986, after which Martin was suspended for two games. If you didn't see that play, Martin literally picked McMahon up and threw him down on his shoulder a couple of seconds after McMahon had thrown the ball. I had watched the NFL as a kid, lost interest as a preteen, and then went back to it in my mid 20's. After that hit, I was done with it. I still watch NCAA football, as I think they do a much better job of protecting their players. It's always been acceptable to hit your opponent in a way that will make him think twice before he leaves himself vulnerable to another hit, but long term injury is a different thing.I appreciate your point of view, but what you described (and I emboldened) is totally unacceptable, and with the money they make now a two game suspension would result in a loss of around $200,000.oo plus in salary to a player of Martin's earning value.
On a lighter note: As much as I admired McMahon and believe had one of the deadliest arms in the history of the NFL, he was a real wise ass and was more than likely was taunting Martin and deserved everything he got :uhoh: ;)

D-Type
3rd February 2013, 17:24

Ravens 28
49ers 10

With respect, can I suggest you check the derivation. In England there were two forms of football: Association Football and Rugby Football. The former was nicknamed "Soccer" derived from "Association" and the latter "Rugger" derived from "Rugby".

How can you seriously claim a game is the original form when you score a 'touchdown' without touching the ball down? Surely it should be termed a "Carry-over".

Mark
3rd February 2013, 17:42
D-Type is correct. Or rather both are correct as football in both cases is a shortening of the full name; American Football, Association Football, Rugby Football, Australian Rules Football and more.

The name soccer is awful and should never be used under any circumstances by anyone.

Spafranco
3rd February 2013, 19:36
I was hoping for a Falcons Ravens Super Bowl. Former Bear QB beating Ray Lewis. I never had any respect for Lewis after the accusations. But, he was cleared. He is a really great player and still as good as most even at his age.
Only reason I'm going for the 49'ers is Harbaugh and their new QB and of course the NFC.

Tazio
3rd February 2013, 20:01
With respect, can I suggest you check the derivation. In England there were two forms of football: Association Football and Rugby Football. The former was nicknamed "Soccer" derived from "Association" and the latter "Rugger" derived from "Rugby"
I find this maddening as henners88 explained almost exactly what you have on a thread about the Super Bowl last season after I referred to "American Football" and henners88 asked me why I used that terminology. These are two completely different sports and anyone that that can't accept it is overly sensitive. Speaking from an American POV the vast majority of citizens of the USA don't care to split hairs about something so trivial. I also get the impression that for the most part Brits are ignorant of our game (or defensive) and would understand the allure of it if they only understood its technical complexities, however that is only speculation, and apparently we are too polarized to ever find out. Soccer (and Rugby) as we call it for reasons you stated are and have been very popular in the U.S on the participation level well back into the 19th century. In the San Diego Unified School District it was a required physical education in the 1960's at the Jr High School level 12-14 years old, 1966 to 1968 for me. I also took Soccer as a P.E. elective in college for conditioning, specifically for maintaining my sprinting speed for my Baseball skills in the off season. Much later I got coerced into coaching my son’s parochial school team, but once in I really embraced it. Believe it or not some of us Americans have a very good understanding of the game but personally I only get excited about the World Cup the Olympics, and my alma mater. I'm from the old school and I don't give a damn about the level of professional status any sport has here or anywhere else for the simple reason that IMO professional sports here are already too diluted and I feel the same way about F1, but I guess that is just me. Then again I always, have and still do get much more pleasure participating than experiencing them vicariously. BTW I love Australian Rules football but have no inclination to bring it to the States. Back to the boys team I coached circa 1987, I settled on a single sweeper 4-3-3 with my best pure soccer player (a Mexican kid) playing the sweeper in an attempt to keep the rest of the 11 and 12 year old less experienced position players from misunderstanding their assignments, and as a safety net. It worked we went undefeated winning the County championship FWIW, because we were better organized, better athletes, but more importantly I made sure the boys understood that soccer would not be any fun at all unless we were in top running condition, and I tricked them into getting into great physical shape. After the sports banquet their parents lavished me with praise several said (in different words) that they did not even realize their sons had muscles (due to their seemingly sudden appearance during the course of the season) Plus I had the time of my life coaching that team which I took to a much more competitive AYSO League where I taught them humility and perseverance as we finished right at .500% but were in every match to the bitter end including a very unlike draw against the eventual league champions. So why don’t we cut the petty BS?

How can you seriously claim a game is the original form when you score a 'touchdown' without touching the ball down? Surely it should be termed a "Carry-over". Duncan first of all you are right, but if you really want to know why I find flaws in American football is that it is complex and the rules change as often as the regulations of F1 rendering statistical comparisons to past eras practically useless as opposed to a sport like Baseball whose rules have almost stayed completely intact since the 1890's. FYI A touchdown is but not always has been when any part of the ball breaks the plane of the goal line in the possession of an offensive player. Finally I don’t care who is interested in the sports I’m interested in. If the NFL and MLB disappeared tomorrow all that would do is get me to go out and chuck the football around more frequentky, and rejoin the adult baseball league I had to quit because of a hamstring tear that simply will not heal well enough to risk my livelihood

Tazio
3rd February 2013, 20:16
The name soccer is awful and should never be used under any circumstances by anyone. Dislike ;)

race aficionado
3rd February 2013, 20:25
I remember in our "Andrea" days - many eons ago and many will never forget her - she use to love the Super Bowl.

donKey jote
3rd February 2013, 20:35
:andrea: :wave:

jarrambide
3rd February 2013, 21:42
Ah, sore losers :p . If the Cleveland fans had been on board, they never would have moved. Now you guys get to have the same experience Colts fans had when the team packed up and left ion the middle of the night.

Johnny U is still the best!!

Not the same experience, at least with the Cleveland Browns, they had the decency of changing the name and not taking with them the history and records of the team, they left that ready to be use and to be claim for any new team that might play in Cleveland if they wanted to call themselves the Browns, which is exactly what happened.

The owners of the Colts and the Oilers took the name, the history, and the records with them, proving that they didn't really care about the fans at all.

Funny how owners of any sports team say that it is not a business, that fans should be loyal, that they are a family, that it is about a special feeling, when they need fans to spend money on their teams and they need fans to watch their product on TV, but it is only a business when it is about them making more money.

jarrambide
3rd February 2013, 21:53

Ravens 28
49ers 10

Errrh, no, you have 5 types of football, rugby football, American football, Canadian football, Australian football rules and the worlds football.

Since I know how much Americans hate a history class, or learning anything for tha matter ( I kid, I Kid :) ), here is why what you call soccer has the right to be call football.

When the term was coined in England, football didn't have many rules or rules at all, or any eal structure.

Time passed and rules are structure came along, but 2 different set of rules, and 2 different structures came, not to be confused with the other version of footbal, one decided to call their version Rugby football, and the other decided to call their version Association football, some started to call AsSOCiation football soccer for short.

When Association football became everyone's game, their fans in England stopped using soccer, and stopped using Association (even tough the sport is till Association football) and just used football, Rugby football fans started to just use Rugby.

Every other type of football is a niceoddity, but not a real sport :D

Rollo
3rd February 2013, 22:21
I for one am rooting for The San Francisco 49ers

You're keen aren't you? ;)

In Australian English this means something quite quite different. Wink wink nudge nudge, say no more! :D

Rollo
3rd February 2013, 22:32

The Football Association in England is the oldest governing body of football in the world and the first meeting of clubs and schools to draw up the rules was on 26 October 1863.

The earliest set of rules of anything which developed into American football is the Boston rules which dates from 7 November 1863.
Their game allowed running under certain circumstances, but it was still essentially soccer.
http://www.profootballresearchers.org/Articles/No_Christian_End.pdf

American Football if anything developed out of Association Football, hybridised itself with the rules of Rugby and then developed its own ruleset.

What other people call football is correctly named football.

Mintexmemory
3rd February 2013, 22:36
Errrh, no, you have 5 types of football, rugby football, American football, Canadian football, Australian football rules and the worlds football.

Since I know how much Americans hate a history class, or learning anything for tha matter ( I kid, I Kid :) ), here is why what you call soccer has the right to be call football.

When the term was coined in England, football didn't have many rules or rules at all, or any eal structure.

Time passed and rules are structure came along, but 2 different set of rules, and 2 different structures came, not to be confused with the other version of footbal, one decided to call their version Rugby football, and the other decided to call their version Association football, some started to call AsSOCiation football soccer for short.

When Association football became everyone's game, their fans in England stopped using soccer, and stopped using Association (even tough the sport is till Association football) and just used football, Rugby football fans started to just use Rugby.

Every other type of football is a niceoddity, but not a real sport :D

Actually there is also Gaelic Football as played in Eire.
The original 2 strands, Association and Rugby were both originally played by British Public schools where it was upper-class slang that differentiated them as 'soccer' and 'rugger'. Soccer found a ready breeding ground in the working class areas of the north of England and in Scotland but in the south it was mostly a public school / millitary officer sport. Similarly rugby split in to 2 codes - Union (amateur) in the south (or upper class areas of the north) and League (professional) exclusively in the working class north.

race aficionado
3rd February 2013, 23:31
Game on !!!

race aficionado
3rd February 2013, 23:40
The Ravens made it look easy!

gloomyDAY
3rd February 2013, 23:58
Dude, 49ers are going to get slaughtered.

I'm getting my panties in a bunch.

race aficionado
4th February 2013, 02:45
We got game !!!

keysersoze
4th February 2013, 02:47
Dude, 49ers are going to get slaughtered.

I'm getting my panties in a bunch.

It was looking that way until the power outage. Now this thing may go down to the wire. SF moved the ball well in the first half but had ill-time penalties and turnovers. Now it's the Ravens who are getting ill-time penalties and turnovers.

Hard hitting game--chippy, too.

gloomyDAY
4th February 2013, 03:48
Crap.

Ranger
4th February 2013, 03:55
Crap.

Great game, rubbish result.

call_me_andrew
4th February 2013, 04:18
I've never seen a Super Bowl that included a power failure before, or one that ended on a free kick.

It's a big night for me.

Spafranco
4th February 2013, 04:25
Did they miss a touchdown? I was watching the game and went to another room for five minutes. When I came back there was an advertisement for Dodge and farmers. Then the games comes back on and the score was different. Hmmmmmm.

I don't know what the coaching staff of the 49'ers were thinking on that last series. That invited the run as the Raven had to be expecting what occurred.

I can't remember now if they could have gotten a first down.

On the issue of games and naming them. What about Gaelic Football?

call_me_andrew
4th February 2013, 05:44
If you blinked you might have missed the 108.5 yard kickoff return.

call_me_andrew
4th February 2013, 06:03
Figured out what caused the power failure!

http://www.thehumorcolumnist.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Airplane-Movie-Unplug-Runway-Lights.jpg

Tazio
4th February 2013, 06:54
Actually there is also Gaelic Football as played in Eire.
Funny you should mention that, a close friend of mine hit on a bonnie lass at a sports bar in Pacific Beach that played for a womens club team about a decade ago, dragged me to a match and I had a ball!
Here is their web page
Na Fianna L.G.F.C. San Diego | Ladies Gaelic Football in San Diego (http://www.nafianna.com/)

henners88
4th February 2013, 08:04

If only 95% of the clubs across the world would change their names to 'Soccer Club' instead of 'Football Club' lol. If they started passing with their hands the transition would be complete :p

I find this maddening as henners88 explained almost exactly what you have on a thread about the Super Bowl last season after I referred to "American Football" and henners88 asked me why I used that terminology. These are two completely different sports and anyone that that can't accept it is overly sensitive. Speaking from an American POV the vast majority of citizens of the USA don't care to split hairs about something so trivial. I also get the impression that for the most part Brits are ignorant of our game (or defensive) and would understand the allure of it if they only understood its technical complexities, however that is only speculation, and apparently we are too polarized to ever find out.
I don't think I ever got touchy about it Doc, I just asked the question and engaged in a little debate. I don't doubt us 'Brits' are ignorant to the sport of 'American Football', but that's because it is not a sport that is given any real coverage here. You have to find it late at night on Channel 5 or on a Sky Sports Channel, but there just isn't any wide spread enthusiasm for it. I think what gets people heated is when people like Tony above demand that football be called soccer just because a minority of the worlds population don't like the fact it clashes in title with their home grown sport of choice. Football is played all over the world and its known by that name predominantly. Of course more than one sport can contain the word 'football' in the title but don't try and insist a name of one is changed just to suit a minority.

Anyway I only responded because I saw my name mentioned and well done to who ever wins or won. :up:

Tazio
4th February 2013, 09:21
I don't think I ever got touchy about it Doc, I just asked the question and engaged in a little debate. I don't doubt us 'Brits' are ignorant to the sport of 'American Football', but that's because it is not a sport that is given any real coverage here. You have to find it late at night on Channel 5 or on a Sky Sports Channel, but there just isn't any wide spread enthusiasm for it. I think what gets people heated is when people like Tony above demand that football be called soccer just because a minority of the worlds population don't like the fact it clashes in title with their home grown sport of choice. Football is played all over the world and its known by that name predominantly. Of course more than one sport can contain the word 'football' in the title but don't try and insist a name of one is changed just to suit a minority.

You completely misunderstood my point, understandably because it was not very well stated. My only reference to you was to demonstrate that we had been through this only last year, it was precipitated by me making the distinction of it being American Football as opposed to what the rest of the world refers to as football, because when I say Soccer I would get jeers from some wise ass, (this time it was Mark ;) ) and you had sufficiently explained at that time the origin of the derivation and to you it was acceptable (using the term soccer that is). I was simply trying to state that this repetition was a source of frustration for me especially since I consider it so trivial. Also by ignorant I only meant uninformed. I think we have a cultural misunderstanding going on here. I never meant to imply that you reacted negatively in last year’s Super Bowl thread. The rest of your post about VOP is to the point which I stated my disappointment in post #11 of this thread, and I believe he knows what he said was reactive as well as wrong. You and I are in total agreement up in here :up:
Other than that it doesn't affect me one way or another if ya''awl boys are interested in this game Americans refer to as Football.

http://i.imgur.com/Penkpmj.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/hv9ul3.gif http://i46.tinypic.com/hv9ul3.gif

henners88
4th February 2013, 09:36
I wasn't having a go at you Doc, I just think it can be frustrating for both sides that's all. Football is our national game much like your version of football is yours. As I said its possible for the word 'football' to be used by more than one type of sport. If you go to Ireland and say 'Football' they think you mean Gaelic Football lol. Funnily enough though they don't call Association football 'soccer' though? Its a strange thing really and not worth too much aggro. :)

Tazio
4th February 2013, 10:00
Did they miss a touchdown? I was watching the game and went to another room for five minutes. When I came back there was an advertisement for Dodge and farmers. Then the games comes back on and the score was different. Hmmmmmm.

I don't know what the coaching staff of the 49'ers were thinking on that last series. That invited the run as the Raven had to be expecting what occurred.

I can't remember now if they could have gotten a first down.

On the issue of games and naming them. What about Gaelic Football?
They were trying to out-guess arguably the best defense in the NFL, which doesn't do much gambling due to the fact that in most circumstances their basic defense is hard to beat. But this was a situation (first and goal inside the five or eight I forget now) but in a 4 down situation and Baltimore was in the right defense for each play. Actually a very interesting game because both sides are very physical as opposed to being finesse types of teams. We witnessed an extremely close game that in the end could have easily gone either way.
And no they could not have gotten a first down except by penalty which was what their coach was going mental about on the sideline, because on their last offensive play Baltimore could have easily been penalized for pass interference which as you know would be an automatic first down at the one yard line since the uncalled event occurred in the end zone.

Tazio
4th February 2013, 10:07
I wasn't having a go at you Doc, I just think it can be frustrating for both sides that's all. Football is our national game much like your version of football is yours. As I said its possible for the word 'football' to be used by more than one type of sport. If you go to Ireland and say 'Football' they think you mean Gaelic Football lol. Funnily enough though they don't call Association football 'soccer' though? Its a strange thing really and not worth too much aggro. :) This conversation has gone from bad to worse. :p :
Let me really simplify it; I was not having a go at you or the United Kingdom :s tareup: but I understand why you might have thought I was. I never thought you were having a go at me. Now get back to Gadji because I think she has you by the short hairs mate ;)
As for Gaelic Football see post #44 :love:

D-Type
4th February 2013, 10:53
My apologies for responding to the VOP's trolling.

henners88
4th February 2013, 11:56
Me too. :)

Tazio
4th February 2013, 14:53
While we are all apologizing I should probably acknowledge that having my memory jogged about the club Gaelic Football match I attended with a friend who is just a "bewer" magnet was unremarkably enjoying at a park in La Jolla. It was quite a long time ago, but it has occurred to me that "Na Fianna" means something very sinister in the UK and in my haste to demonstrate my unconditional acceptance and openness to unconventional sporting disciplines I may have insulted someone, someone who may have actually been very close to violence that has been associated to the civil unrest that Great Britain had been involved with. I don't think these girls were using the name in that context but they were certainly Southern Irish, and to be honest not only did it really happen that way, and I don't in any way believe in the tactics that the radical groups associated with that term used in your conflict. I do understand their beef however, all the way back to Cromwell, but I'm not taking sides, just acknowledging that I can see how I may have offended someone, and for that I apologies

anthonyvop
4th February 2013, 19:09
D-Type is correct. Or rather both are correct as football in both cases is a shortening of the full name; American Football, Association Football, Rugby Football, Australian Rules Football and more.

The name soccer is awful and should never be used under any circumstances by anyone.

In the USA the silly game is called Soccer. So that pretty much ends that debate. :)

Ed Reed should have been named MVP.

Tazio
4th February 2013, 20:11
I usually don't bother with these things, but the halftime show was remarkably terrible. :down:
On the other hand Alicia Keys knocked one out of the park with her mosdestly stylized rendition of The Star Spangled Banner.

Rollo
5th February 2013, 00:21
That 109 run should never had been on. You'd think that the 9ers would have had better screen coverage to stop that but instead Jacoby Jones just went for it and ran. It will go down as one of the greatest moments in a Superbowl I think.
It will be the sort of thing which legend is written on.

Well at least it should be:
This video contains content from NFL, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

Way to promote the game, NFL. Well played.

Tazio
5th February 2013, 01:05
That 109 run should never had been on. You'd think that the 9ers would have had better screen coverage to stop that but instead Jacoby Jones just went for it and ran. It will go down as one of the greatest moments in a Superbowl I think.
It will be the sort of thing which legend is written on.

Well at least it should be:
This video contains content from NFL, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

Way to promote the game, NFL. Well played.
It is officially 108 yards which ties the NFL record. It is the longest in post season play and one of nine Kick-offs returned for touchdowns in Super Bowl history. They are all long as most kicks make it inside the 10 yard line and deeper unless there is really strong wind. It's an impressive number but "special teams" numbers are generally considered lesser accomplishments than actual plays from scrimmage. His moves on his touchdown reception were extraordinarily impressive by any standards. As for the video:
The NFL is more proprietary than the FOM if you can believe that!
They even removed the National Anthem :rolleyes:

Roamy
5th February 2013, 07:45
That is SUPER Bowl . . . .

I for one am rooting for The San Francisco 49ers - even though I also like the Baltimore Ravens - so please just give us a great ol' american football game.

But what always amazes me is the price willing to be payed by companies to air one of their commercials: 3.8 million US dollars for a :30 spot!!!!!! :eek:

Race - The big corps took all the money so 3.8 mil is like nickels to you and I.

Tazio
5th February 2013, 15:09
Check out these shoes Jacoby Jones mother wore into her office at Emory College upon her return from New Orleans.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/02/05/sports/jpJONES3/jpJONES3-popup.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/05/sports/football/for-raven-from-new-orleans-a-glorious-return-two-ways.html?_r=0

I can't wait for the parade, The entire city of Baltimore is going to be off the hook!!

Gregor-y
5th February 2013, 17:50
If you go just make sure you don't end up in a vacant...

(other than the B&O museum that's all I know about Baltimore)

Tazio
6th February 2013, 09:19
Well I guess this wraps it up for me. The Parade drew aproximately 200,000 crazed Raven Fans.

Nancy Monseaux, 63, a Baltimore resident for nearly four decades, cheered the team on Pratt Street, where fans lined the sidewalk five or more people deep in some places. Monseaux, who held a sign that said ''Doubt the Ravens nevermore,'' said she wanted to come to show her support for the team.
Y! SPORTS (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/city-hall-crowd-cheers-super-172730925--nfl.html)
"The Raven" the poem doen't even rate in my top three poetic works by Eddie Poe. The following is my fav:

Israfel

By Edgar Allan Poe 1809–1849

And the angel Israfel, whose heart-strings are a lute, and who has the sweetest voice of all God’s creatures.—KORAN

In Heaven a spirit doth dwell
“Whose heart-strings are a lute”;
None sing so wildly well
As the angel Israfel,
And the giddy stars (so legends tell),
Ceasing their hymns, attend the spell
Of his voice, all mute.

Tottering above
In her highest noon,
The enamoured moon
Blushes with love,
While, to listen, the red levin
(With the rapid Pleiads, even,
Which were seven,)
Pauses in Heaven.

And they say (the starry choir
And the other listening things)
That Israfeli’s fire
Is owing to that lyre
By which he sits and sings—
The trembling living wire
Of those unusual strings.

But the skies that angel trod,
Where deep thoughts are a duty,
Where Love’s a grown-up God,
Where the Houri glances are
Imbued with all the beauty
Which we worship in a star.

Therefore, thou art not wrong,
Israfeli, who despisest
An unimpassioned song;
To thee the laurels belong,
Best bard, because the wisest!
Merrily live, and long!

The ecstasies above
With thy burning measures suit—
Thy grief, thy joy, thy hate, thy love,
With the fervour of thy lute—
Well may the stars be mute!

Yes, Heaven is thine; but this
Is a world of sweets and sours;
Our flowers are merely—flowers,
And the shadow of thy perfect bliss
Is the sunshine of ours.

If I could dwell
Where Israfel
Hath dwelt, and he where I,
He might not sing so wildly well
A mortal melody,
While a bolder note than this might swell
From my lyre within the sky.

race aficionado
6th February 2013, 23:30
Good for you and the Raven fans.

Lets see if the NY Giants are game next season.

Congrats!

:)