PDA

View Full Version : 6 Nations

Knock-on
1st February 2013, 20:00
Here we are again. The eve of the best International series outside of the RWC is here again.

England take on the Sweaties at Fortress Twickenham tomorrow but the U20's and Saxons are playing tonight. The U20's ground out a good win on an appalling Plymouth pitch while the Saxons kick off in a coule of minutes looking to overturn a embarrassing loss last year.

Ireland also have Wales this weekend and the French play Italy.

Who will win this year? My guess is England closely followed by Ireland with the Cheese eating surrender Monkeys flling into 3rd.

Come on Saxons. I predict a few posts in the Drunken thread this weekend :D

schmenke
1st February 2013, 21:25
I love IRB rugby but sadly we get precious little coverage on this side of the pond. Last year's 6 Nations matches were available televised for $30.00 per month, and that was merely to view matches tape delayed 24 hours :s

Gregor-y
1st February 2013, 22:40
I was lucky enough to be working in Dublin in early 2001. I went with some coworkers to watch Ireland get crushed by England, but it was still more fun than any other sports event I've been to.

D-Type
2nd February 2013, 13:34
I don't think Wales will repeat last year's result

The head says:
England to win and
Italy (or maybe Scotland) to take the wooden spoon

The heart says:
Scotland to win (well... hope springs eternal)
England for the wooden spoon (ditto)

donKey jote
2nd February 2013, 17:05
Ireland :D

pino
2nd February 2013, 18:43
Italy will finish on podium :p :

D-Type
2nd February 2013, 19:53
What is the Italian equivalent of "Pigs might fly"? :)

gloomyDAY
3rd February 2013, 01:03
I've never seen a full-pro match until today. I managed to break into BBC iPlayer and watched the Ireland vs. Wales match. I thought it was pretty awesome because it was non-stop action, commercial free, and full contact mayhem. I may even watch tomorrow's France vs. Italy match prior to the Super Bowl.

Knock-on
3rd February 2013, 10:26
If only Wales would have turned up for the first half, we would have had a very interesting match. As it was, they closed the gap which may be useful if the tournament is a close one.

I thought the Irish were very cynical in the 2nd half. Constantly slowing the ball down and could have picked up a few more cards if the referee felt like it.

England on the other hand were very good I thought. Scotland were really up for the match but the speed of recycling from the boys from Twickenham was great to watch. There could have been a bit more impact I thought at the ruk and the 2 Try's we gave to Scotland were pretty soft but overall, I was happy.

Now, down to Italy for the humiliation of the Frogs by the mighty Azzuri :D

Brown, Jon Brow
3rd February 2013, 14:25
I watched the first half of Wales v Ireland but I still can't get into Rugby. Watching it just reminds me of watching a group of 6 year olds play football who don't know about positions and all just chase the ball.

D-Type
3rd February 2013, 17:03
What is the Italian equivalent of "Pigs might fly"? :)

Well ...

I'm lucky I didn't say I'd eat my hat! That is by far the best game I have ever seen Italy play. They deserved to win - it wasn't a lucky fluke.

donKey jote
3rd February 2013, 17:07
Forza Pinurriiiiiii :D

pino
3rd February 2013, 17:37
Italy-France 23-18 :bounce:

airshifter
4th February 2013, 05:26
Who will win this year? My guess is England closely followed by Ireland with the Cheese eating surrender Monkeys flling into 3rd.

Come on Saxons. I predict a few posts in the Drunken thread this weekend :D

That sounds like a redneck 'merican comment!

henners88
4th February 2013, 08:14
Well I rarely watch rugby but enjoy the six nations. Shame Wales didn't wake up early in the first half as it turned into a great match against Ireland. Typical Wales though they got themselves together far too late and given another 10 minutes they would have likely won. Its always a weird time of year as I am English but live in Wales. My wife cheers for Wales obviously being Welsh and I get a ribbing for my nationality. I'll happily cheer for Wales as long as they are not playing England and the result doesn't affect England winning a tournament lol. Anyway it all got rather worrying in the opening stages of the match against Scotland when the away team scored. After all the cocky predictions about us winning before the start it seemed like it wasn't going to be quite as clear cut as that. Thankfully we won and with Italy pulling out a shocker yesterday against France, its got everybody thinking now! Well done Italy btw :)

D-Type
4th February 2013, 11:00
We have a similar situation in our house [in England]. I consider myself a Scot* while my wife is English. As she puts it: "For most games we watch a match sitting amicably on the sofa but for the Calcutta Cup we sit in armchairs on opposite sides of the room"

* As much of a Scot as having a Scottish father and an English mother, being born in Iraq and brought up in Kenya can make me. I've always considered myself a Scot. A case of 'blood will out'.

henners88
4th February 2013, 11:55
I'm half Irish but don't feel the same connection in my heart as I do for England. I know some nationalities who have links to Ireland jump on the chance to brag about the connection but I appreciate it for what it is. What did Morrissey sing? 'Irish blood, English heart is what I'm made of.....' lol... I don't have any Welsh blood but that doesn't stop people saying to me that I'm nearly Welsh now considering I have lived here so long and have a Welsh wife. I'm supportive of Wales as rugby is a big part of the culture here but the Welsh aren't quite so supportive when its the other way around :p :)

Knock-on
4th February 2013, 12:40
What you have to understand Airshifter is the context and history of International Rugby ribbing. Fans of the 'egg shaped ball' will stand shoulder to shoulder with opposing fans in the Stadium, insulting each other with gay abandon while sharing wine, cheese, a wee nip and a genuine camaraderie that an outsider wouldn't fathom. :)

gadjo_dilo
4th February 2013, 12:45
I don't have any Welsh blood but that doesn't stop people saying to me that I'm nearly Welsh now considering I have lived here so long and have a Welsh wife.

Just figure the case you have lived in China and have a chinese wife....

Gregor-y
4th February 2013, 15:49
I've never seen a full-pro match until today. I managed to break into BBC iPlayer and watched the Ireland vs. Wales match. I thought it was pretty awesome because it was non-stop action, commercial free, and full contact mayhem. I may even watch tomorrow's France vs. Italy match prior to the Super Bowl.
Rugby is basically the most exciting part of a football game, but it's the whole game rather than a few seconds.

airshifter
4th February 2013, 23:58
What you have to understand Airshifter is the context and history of International Rugby ribbing. Fans of the 'egg shaped ball' will stand shoulder to shoulder with opposing fans in the Stadium, insulting each other with gay abandon while sharing wine, cheese, a wee nip and a genuine camaraderie that an outsider wouldn't fathom. :)

It was all in fun... just pointing out that not everything can be taken at face value. :)

D-Type
9th February 2013, 17:38
Well, Hogg's try must rank as one of the most outrageous steals ever. To intercept a pass inside your own 22 and then go all the way to the try line!

And Scotland's strip must rank as the most ridiculous ever - shorts and half of the shirts the same colour as the opposition. Why didn't they just wear navy shorts and white shirts, maybe with a saltire on it? I accept that they can't wear all white as they would look like ... England.

Knock-on
9th February 2013, 17:56
Scots strip reminds me of Callaway X22 irons.

Great game though and thank god we saw it after being subjected to the crap that was the first half of the Wales / France game :(

Iain
10th February 2013, 00:26
And Scotland's strip must rank as the most ridiculous ever - shorts and half of the shirts the same colour as the opposition. Why didn't they just wear navy shorts and white shirts, maybe with a saltire on it? I accept that they can't wear all white as they would look like ... England.

Scotland are changing to Macron next summer, so maybe it was whatever was left in the Canterbury scraps bin. They had a kit a few years ago that looked like it was German!

Anyway, not the worst rugby kit I've ever seen....I've had the misfortune to see this in person!
http://www.espnscrum.com/PICTURES/CMS/8400/8470.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised today. I decided to watch it when I was at the gym, so I was prepared for double torture! But actually it wasn't too bad. I still think that was the wooden spoon decider today.

D-Type
10th February 2013, 11:00
Scotland are changing to Macron next summer, so maybe it was whatever was left in the Canterbury scraps bin. They had a kit a few years ago that looked like it was German!

Anyway, not the worst rugby kit I've ever seen....I've had the misfortune to see this in person!
http://www.espnscrum.com/PICTURES/CMS/8400/8470.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised today. I decided to watch it when I was at the gym, so I was prepared for double torture! But actually it wasn't too bad. I still think that was the wooden spoon decider today.

Eee - yugh! :s pin:

On current form we might even find ourselves asking how to translate 'wooden spoon' into French?

Knock-on
11th February 2013, 09:58
Eee - yugh! :s pin:

On current form we might even find ourselves asking how to translate 'wooden spoon' into French?

'Vous etes la merde' should cover it :devil:

Knock-on
11th February 2013, 10:02
Scots strip reminds me of Callaway X22 irons.

Great game though and thank god we saw it after being subjected to the crap that was the first half of the Wales / France game :(

Scotland Strip:

http://roksport.com/acatalog/B975868-001.jpg

X22 Irons:

http://www.golfclubs14.com/uploads/allimg/Irons/Callaway_X-22_Irons_Set.jpg

matt91
12th February 2013, 00:01
i predict that it'll all come down to a classic wales vs england at the end... Cymru!

Knock-on
9th March 2013, 16:28
What a disappointing Scotland v Wales game. Any chance of a spectacle was destroyed by Craig Joubert.

Terrible ref :(

steveaki13
9th March 2013, 22:52
Alright if you like a Penalty.

Sad to see France get their point though. :p :

Knock-on
10th March 2013, 11:55
Declan Kidney should be taken out and given a good shoeing. Ireland were walking it in the first half by some excellent forward play and rolling mauls. However, why the feck did they change it for the second half. France were down and out at half time and if Ireland continued down route 1, were ready to roll over and die.

Shocking :bigcry:

matt91
16th March 2013, 21:08
i predict that it'll all come down to a classic wales vs england at the end... Cymru!

i guess i was right, come on wales!!!! what a game it was, atmosphere was amazing time to top up the beer tank

donKey jote
16th March 2013, 21:31
30-3 :eek: :crazy:

and well done pino ! http://i46.tinypic.com/hv9ul3.gif :dozey:

henners88
16th March 2013, 22:26
i guess i was right, come on wales!!!! what a game it was, atmosphere was amazing time to top up the beer tank

Atmosphere was amazing in the stadium even if we lost, Cardiff is in party mode like they've won the grand slam! Fair play though we didn't deserve the win :)

pino
16th March 2013, 22:37
Excellent performance by the Azzurri, which gave us the best final position ever :up: Hopefully from now on all rugby fans will show more respect to Italy :D

henners88
16th March 2013, 22:51
Italy were always a team in the making and will only get better. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win it in a few years, well done today though ;)

pino
16th March 2013, 22:54
Thanks henners88 :)

steveaki13
16th March 2013, 23:04
Yes great performance from Italy. It would be great to see them win it soon.

Shame for us, but Wales thumped us proper and got what they deserved.

And France got what they deserved. :p :

Knock-on
21st March 2013, 10:04
I'm a great fan of Lancaster but it seemed the successful tactics we were employing in the first couple of games were abandoned :rolleyes:

Very disappointing to lose in that fashion but well done to the Taffs.

Great championship by the Azzuri and to France can I just say :laugh: