PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Tour de France

Mark
17th January 2013, 09:27
The route of the Tour de France's opening three stages in the UK gets announced shortly. Excellent having this race so close to home :) .

Mintexmemory
17th January 2013, 09:40
The route of the Tour de France's opening three stages in the UK gets announced shortly. Excellent having this race so close to home :) .

Let the Wiggomania be unconfined!

Mark
17th January 2013, 10:17
The UK route of the 2014 Tour de France

Stage one
Leeds - Harewood - Otley - Ilkley - Skipton - Kettlewell - Aysgarth - Hawes - Reeth - Leyburn - Ripon - Harrogate

Stage two
York - Knaresborough - Silsden - Keighley - Haworth - Hebden Bridge - Elland - Huddersfield - Holmfirth - Sheffield

Stage three
Cambridge - Epping Forest - the Olympic Park - the Mall

GridGirl
17th January 2013, 10:56
I can not wait already, seeing so many town and city names that we cycle though already. Hopefully more details will be revealed at the Leeds event tonight. :D

Mark
17th January 2013, 11:26
It would be good to see a map of the route on Google maps.

Mark
17th January 2013, 12:14
The Route (http://letour.yorkshire.com/the-route)

Mintexmemory
17th January 2013, 12:49
Eee lad, escargotts, mools n' frits at 'arry Ramsdens. Sacrie Blur!!

SGWilko
17th January 2013, 13:16
Holmfirth

With the obligatory stop for a cuppa at Sid's cafe?

Will Howard and Marina be taking part..... :laugh:

Mark
17th January 2013, 13:54
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__i-r02MbGbg/SjwpRrBcm2I/AAAAAAAABN8/kGIEAmFC_A0/s320/DSC01623.jpg

Mark
17th January 2013, 14:14
I've challenged Ibby to do the route of Day 1 (120 miles) but he's wussing out already!

SGWilko
17th January 2013, 14:26
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__i-r02MbGbg/SjwpRrBcm2I/AAAAAAAABN8/kGIEAmFC_A0/s320/DSC01623.jpg

Back in my student days, I stayed with a mate up at Huddersfield Uni, and we took a trip (once we'd sobered up :D ) to Holmfirth and had a cuppa in SId's cafe - it is tiny!!!! ANd you have to talk dirty to the taps in the gents - there is a sign;

"please turn taps on slowly"

;)

wedge
17th January 2013, 16:00
Looks like a good excuse for a hoon around The Dales!

SGWilko
17th January 2013, 16:10

I see Marina is wearing the yellow jersey........

GridGirl
17th January 2013, 16:24
I've challenged Ibby to do the route of Day 1 (120 miles) but he's wussing out already!

It's OK Mark, I will do it with you. Ibby can drive the support car. :p

Steve Boyd
17th January 2013, 22:32
Some classic road rally sections on Day 1

steveaki13
17th January 2013, 22:45
Hmm. I am not that far from Epping Forest. Would it be worth trying to get a glimpse of the tour? Maybe

Mark
18th January 2013, 09:08
Hmm. I am not that far from Epping Forest. Would it be worth trying to get a glimpse of the tour? Maybe

Certainly! They might go past in a flash but the experience of the event is going to be worthwhile :) .

Myself, like I would think many others hoping to turn it into a cycling event. On stage 1 the start in Leeds is well within cycling distance of the finish at Harrogate!

Iain
18th January 2013, 12:06
Certainly! They might go past in a flash but the experience of the event is going to be worthwhile :) .

Definitely. Saw it in Folkestone in 94 and it was gone in about 10 seconds! The show they put on beforehand is really good, creates a carnival atmosphere. Well worth going to say you've seen it. Definitely going down to see it next year, just south of Scotch Corner, so why not.

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/553229_10151061795527419_1395962051_n.jpg

Mark
18th January 2013, 12:55
I do hear the best advice of those who have been to see the race is don't take any pictures of the peleton as it goes past, as you'll miss them, and get a crap photo to boot.

Iain
18th January 2013, 19:38
I do hear the best advice of those who have been to see the race is don't take any pictures of the peleton as it goes past, as you'll miss them, and get a crap photo to boot.

Yeah it's pretty quick! Especially when I saw it, as it was a downhill, then uphill section in town. We actually had a lot of the teams staying at the hotel that night. Lots of Italians, who were getting very emotional because Italy were 2 mins from losing to Nigeria at USA 94. :p :

Found a home video somebody's taken in Folkestone. 19 years ago, but look at the size of the entourage before and after the cycles. I can't imagine how big it must be now! TourDeFrance1994.mpg - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-gbzOY1KzU)

J4MIE
22nd January 2013, 03:05
I'll be out watchine somewhere. Plenty time to recce to find a decent spot.

Mark
22nd January 2013, 10:20
I'll be out watchine somewhere. Plenty time to recce to find a decent spot.

You should cycle the stage with us. So far we have, me & GirdGirl with Ibby driving the support car ;)

J4MIE
22nd January 2013, 11:19
Sorry, I'm busy that day. Maybe another time.

race aficionado
22nd January 2013, 23:10

Unless you are at the steep mountain climbing part of the stage, they zoom by so fast - but the color blur and the sound of the wheels and the commotion are a treat for the senses.

In my home country Colombia, cycling has been big since I can remember - we have them Andes mountains to deal with.

I even made a documentary of our national tour in 1980 and managed to follow my all time favorite cyclist (Martin Cochise Rodriguez) in his last Colombian tour event - Great memories. :)

steveaki13
22nd June 2014, 19:44

Bumping a massively old thread, but this is now just a couple of weeks away.

I have obviously since found out that the tour not only comes through my home City Chelmsford, but is passing on a road, which is exactly 2 roads away from me.

I can walk to the Tour in 5 minutes, and cycle to the route in about 2.

So I guess I might as well try and see the guys come past. :D

airshifter
22nd June 2014, 20:55
Steve,

If you are that close it would be worth seeing, even if you watch the motor vehicles much longer than the bikes! But at a couple minutes away, hard to not go see it.

That video that Iain posted was quite revealing of the traffic involved. But not quite as revealing as one of GridGirls comments about her and Mark getting physical.... at least her SO is driving a support car! :laugh:

Mark, Grid Girl...

Did you guys ever ride that stage?

steveaki13
22nd June 2014, 21:20
Steve,

If you are that close it would be worth seeing, even if you watch the motor vehicles much longer than the bikes! But at a couple minutes away, hard to not go see it.

That video that Iain posted was quite revealing of the traffic involved. But not quite as revealing as one of GridGirls comments about her and Mark getting physical.... at least her SO is driving a support car! :laugh:

Mark, Grid Girl...

Did you guys ever ride that stage?

Absolutely Airshifter I definitely will be going to see it. Its so close I can get my own bike and cycle along the Chelmsford section and find a non crowded place to watch. :)

Something historic to say I have been too. I have followed the Tour de France for about 10 years now, although the last 2 I have lost contact with again.

Anyway. It will be amazing to see it.

GridGirl
23rd June 2014, 11:36
Airshifter, funny you should ask whether we did ride the stage. I haven’t been able to as I haven't done much cycling this year due to work commitments and have only just got back into my cycling in the past couple of weeks now I’m back working in Leeds. Mark, however, just yesterday did a 109km ride which took in a good proportion of Stage 1. I’ll let him fill you in on his progress …

We went to watch the Giro d’Italia in early May in Northern Ireland. It was abrilliant weekend, with lots of pink, heartache for Dan Martin, and some great cycling. On the Belfast to Belfast stage we watched from the feed zone near the Giants Causeway so managed to watch them at low speed, had to duck a few times for the projectile missiles being thrown by the riders who decided they didn’t want their lunch or assorted drinks. Managed to get an OPQS bottle and our friends got various other bottles. One OPSQ rider made a special effort to give my friend his musette complete with most of his lunch.

Very much looking forward to the Tour coming to the city I live in, quite exciting to think that it will be starting less than a mile from where I’m currently sat at my desk. We are going to all three days of the tour. We are watching the start in Leeds, will be somewhere near Huddersfield on day two and in central London on day three. :D

Mark
23rd June 2014, 12:12
I wasn't quite up to the full 130 miles, plus the extra to make it into a circular ride, but I did do a 68 mile ride with 50 of those miles on the route of the tour but it's fair to say that those 50 miles contained all the significant hills and we threw in another major climb to get to the route : http://www.strava.com/activities/156698799 . Unfortunately GridGirl wasn't up to riding the route so I did it with a local friend, we were both completely destroyed at the end, so big kudos to those who have ridden the entire route - including fizzicist, erstwhile of this parish.

Still not sure what I'm going to do for the race itself, ideally I'd drive down to somewhere close, cycle along to the side of the road somewhere and watch them go past, but as ever with these things it's never quite that simple.

Hard to believe this was announced a year and a half ago now, seems to have come around quick.

driveace
23rd June 2014, 14:14
Through my home town of Otley ,and going up Addingham main street on both days ,so just a walk into town for me

GridGirl
4th July 2014, 12:49
It’s all getting rather exciting in Leeds now. The BMC, Lotto and Movistar teams are all staying just down the road from my house about 2 miles away. :D I’ve walked into to town for lunch the past few days and have been having to give directions to various team personnel and Tour de France officials who are trying to find the media centre although I did say that they really shouldn’t invite women into their car to ‘look at a map’ because that can get a man into a whole heap of trouble. ;)

A friend and his son have been out practising with Giant Shimano and Tinkoff Saxo teams.

driveace
4th July 2014, 19:59
Looks like Otley my home town ,then across country to West Witton on Saturday,then Sunday Blubberhouses,then to Oxenhope for the hairpin right turn towards Hebden Bridge

166inter
5th July 2014, 20:52
I'll be streaming online for sure! I'm a newcomer when it comes to watching the sport. What are some of people's favorite stages/sections?

driveace
6th July 2014, 10:49
KnareSboro today so we can get home to watch Grand Prix ,but my advice for anybody going today is view at Oxenhope ,should be great there

steveaki13
6th July 2014, 10:54
KnareSboro today so we can get home to watch Grand Prix ,but my advice for anybody going today is view at Oxenhope ,should be great there

What have the crowds been like?

I mean its coming through Chelmsford tomorrow and I reckon it will be packed. Even though I am only walking 5 minutes to view, I guess I will need to get there well early?

Mark
6th July 2014, 15:29
Crowds have been INSANE. The riders are even having problems because there's so many people lining the road they can't get through.

So yes get there early or find a spot a bit of a way outside the centre. From watching the coverage there's plenty of space on ordinary roads it's just the climbs everyone goes to.

steveaki13
6th July 2014, 15:37
Crowds have been INSANE. The riders are even having problems because there's so many people lining the road they can't get through.

So yes get there early or find a spot a bit of a way outside the centre. From watching the coverage there's plenty of space on ordinary roads it's just the climbs everyone goes to.

I always remember in the mountains in France, they stand all over the road and part like the red sea right in front of the bikes. So Dangerous.

pino
18th July 2014, 17:19
Is Nibali on drugs ??? What an amazing win, he now leads by 3:37 :eek:

pino
18th July 2014, 17:20
Anyone's following this ? ;)

Mark
18th July 2014, 17:29
Anyone's following this ? ;)

Of course. Nibali has been very impressive so far. We'll see what goes on in the high mountains but with no Contador, no Quintana, no Froome and Porte looking like he's riding for 2nd then who can possibly challenge him?

pino
18th July 2014, 17:31
Can't wait until they test him for doping! He always looks so fresh an comfortable...

pino
18th July 2014, 17:44
Anyway, Contador crashed, and Porte still is in the race, Nibali has just shown is stronger. Can't really blame him for those who are not there anymore ;) I just hope he's clean...

Mark
18th July 2014, 17:51
Can't wait until they test him for doping! He always looks so fresh an comfortable...

Such a cynic! Too much memories of Pantani?

pino
18th July 2014, 17:52
Such a cynic! Too much memories of Pantani?

Unfortunately :blackeye:

pino
24th July 2014, 16:57
Legendary Tourmaliet today, 7 km to finish line, Nibali in the front alone !!! This guy must be on drugs :eek:

Mark
24th July 2014, 17:43
Legendary Tourmaliet today, 7 km to finish line, Nibali in the front alone !!! This guy must be on drugs :eek:

You hate all Italians :(

pino
24th July 2014, 17:51
Did you watch the race today ??? :eek:

Mark
24th July 2014, 19:01
Did you watch the race today ??? :eek:

I started watching then realised I was bored rigid just before the start of the climb. I'll watch the highlights in an hour or so. Although you have to say with Froome and Contador out it's not like Nibali ever had any serious competition.

pino
24th July 2014, 19:07
Mate, I think that this Nibali, would have beaten them too. Now, we only have to wait for the doping test :s

Mark
24th July 2014, 19:18
Mate, I think that this Nibali, would have beaten them too. Now, we only have to wait for the doping test :s

He will pass it. If he is doping then we won't be daft enough to do it in a way which can be detected.

Spafranco
25th July 2014, 05:54
Dang, that Nibali is something. One thing I really feel sorry about is Nico Roche losing all that time when he crashed and then had to wait around for Contador who to me never looked comfortable. Froome got caught in the most unfortunate of accidents. Poor guy must have been in agony. Good guy and seems to be well liked by everyone except Sir Bradly (sic). Suspicious of that guy. Why no more tours. The Yates kids seem good. Dan Martin would have been a good rival for Nibali. Although I do believe he is on drugs, there is a suspicion for me at least about all these guys coming from nowhere. Same thing at the Giro.
One thing that was great at this tour was the start. The French could not match the enthusiasm of the launch in the UK. What amazing crowds. Sad to see Cavendish fall. He was lucky not to have been killed. The amount of energy when he hit the ground on his back made me cringe. Classy the way he took the blame.

pino
25th July 2014, 14:05
I too was surprised by the British crowds, as much I was surprised by the Irish, when the Giro started there. Just amazing !!! :up:

GridGirl
25th July 2014, 15:02
Went to the Giro start (days 1 and 2) and went to the Grand depart (all three days) and had a great time on both occasions. The tour has been great for as its turned out completely different thow I thought it would pan out. I'm not sure about Nibali, he was amazing in the run up to his Giro win last year and has been pretty rubbish since then. They do say it takes a year to recover from winning a grand tour so maybe he was about to come back into form anyway. I suppose we'll never know how he would have faired if everyone else hadn't faltered but you cant hold that against him as he's won four stages and thats no mean feat.

For me the two days in Yorkshire were the best of all. Even better that I live in Yorkshire and can relive it whenever I want to. :D

Mark
25th July 2014, 15:54
For me the two days in Yorkshire were the best of all. Even better that I live in Yorkshire and can relive it whenever I want to. :D

Go on then :D ;). I think I will have to tackle the likes of Buttertubs again at some point!

Spafranco
26th July 2014, 06:55
Mark, who covers the tour for you and who are your commentators?

Mark
26th July 2014, 09:31
Mark, who covers the tour for you and who are your commentators?

Main coverage is ITV4 (available on all UK TVs) the presenters are Chris Boardman and Ned Boulting who are very good. The commentators are Paul Sherwan and Phil Liggit.

On satellite there is Eurosport too.

MrJan
4th August 2014, 19:15

My thoughts exactly, not sure that either Froome or Contador would have got close (although I suspect that they're also on the 'roids)

steveaki13
4th August 2014, 19:44
I know its quite poor, but here is a video I took while nearly getting crashed into by the tour.

When it came through Chelmsford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnv6RID26SM