PDA

View Full Version : Gianluigi Galli

rjbetty
15th January 2013, 17:51
To mark Gianluigi Galli's 40th birthday a couple of days back (13th Jan 1973) I thought he deserved a mention here.

Does anyone know what happened to him? He had a crash on Rally Deutschland 2008 and that was the last WRC round he did. It's really strange. Why hasn't he been under anyone's consideration? He was definitely rally winning material I thought.

Maybe some people were disappointed by his 2008 season, but I do believe he was under huge pressure from Malcolm Wilson not to make even one mistake, so he held his speed back to ensure he finished every round. I think he did very well considering that and that he was adapting to a new car.

There's something really wrong if a guy like this couldn't get a drive!

PLuto
15th January 2013, 22:43
After that accident he had some offers to do IRC or italian championship, but he wanted only WRC...

Plan9
16th January 2013, 00:44
Awhile back I saw on his website he tested a C4 but that was years back.

Motorsportfun
16th January 2013, 01:30
Awhile back I saw on his website he tested a C4 but that was years back.

It was a media-day arranged by the Italian Citroen importer for TV. Nothing else...

GigiGalliNo1
16th January 2013, 02:14
I spoke to him. He didn't like the changes the WRC were going to be going through. Rumors of smaller capacity engines. I think he thought the way of the future of WRC was S2000 spec but boy was he wrong!

He did get offers for IRC but like I mentioned he didn't like the engines.

Also support and funds were difficult at the time. It all happened when we were loosing manufacturers. Skoda left just after Mitsubishi, then Peugeot and Subaru.. Then we recall Solberg changing to a private Citroen. From then I haven't heard from him. He should have finishing building his house in Italy but can't confirm. He's out there somewhere... Perhaps I will give him a call.

I did tweet Happy Birthday to him in General and some people responded :)

Vai Gigi!!!!

RS
16th January 2013, 19:45
Did he ever drive these engines which he didn't like?

GigiGalliNo1
25th January 2013, 02:24
No he didn't. Which I find odd and funny. How can you say you don't want to drive S2000 engine because you don't like the idea but never drive!