PDA

View Full Version : Big Issue, Sir?

Drew
3rd April 2007, 15:10
Today I went to Plymouth to have a nose around and there seemed to be one of those Big Issue guys on practically every street. For those who live outside of the UK, the Big Issue is a magazine that homeless people buy and then they sell it on for a profit, so they can make money instead of begging and robbing.

I have never actually seen anybody buy one, and I haven't bought one myself, I was just curious, has anybody actually bought one? How do they manage to make money from it?!

BDunnell
3rd April 2007, 15:26
Advertising is how they make money, I would imagine.

I have never bought a copy because, from what I have seen from reading copies purchased by others, I don't think it's a very good magazine.

BeansBeansBeans
3rd April 2007, 15:41
I see people buy the Big Issue quite regularly. I buy it myself occasionally, if there is a band I like on the cover or something, but like Ben said, it simply isn't very good.

BDunnell
3rd April 2007, 15:46
The seller outside my local Sainsbury's amuses me with his constant patter in broken English of "Hello big boss. Hello nice lady. Big boss. Nice lady." He has never persuaded me to do anything other than smile, though.

CarlMetro
3rd April 2007, 17:46
I buy it whenever I can, sometimes I buy more than one because I like to think of it as a little bit of help for those who need it. To me it doesn't really matter about the contents, it's not about what I get from it but about what the vendor gets, which is a little self respect whilst displaying a bit of effort instead of sitting on the floor with their hand out.

Hazell B
3rd April 2007, 19:40
Bless You!

Cannot believe nobody's done that joke yet, so thought I'd sqeeze it in :p :

Never bought it myself, nor read it to be honest. Knew what it was for and often wondered how much of the purchase price is given to the seller. Anyone know please?

CarlMetro
3rd April 2007, 19:48
often wondered how much of the purchase price is given to the seller. Anyone know please?

The vendor pays 80p for each magazine, the cover price is currently £1.40.

luvracin
3rd April 2007, 19:52
I've seen people doing a similar thing here in the US.

They really put the guilt trip on you to buy it too. Which just makes me NOT want to buy it.

LotusElise
3rd April 2007, 21:17
There were loads of Big Issue sellers where I used to live in Liverpool, not all of them legit. (Someone on my course did volunteer work at a homeless shelter and knew about these things.) Some of them could get quite aggressive and one of them followed me round the city centre threatening me one night because I wouldn't give her any money. They all have "time shares" on their "patches" now, and it says on their vendor badge what time they are allowed to sell until.

CarlMetro
4th April 2007, 00:28
They actually have a strict code of conduct, should have a vendor badge clearly visable and can easily be reported by means of a simple phone call. See here http://www.bigissue.com/selling.html for more details.

I must say it's refreshing to see so many of you helping out those less fortunate then yourselves..........

jim mcglinchey
4th April 2007, 09:12
If its anything like here in Belfast, where Hi-Vis clad, foreign vendors have appeared at every traffic junction flogging The Big Issue, you ll find that they also have the contract to street-sell the local papers. But the big issue ( geddit?) now, is how much the vendor gets and how much the gang masters are getting.

BDunnell
4th April 2007, 09:28
They actually have a strict code of conduct, should have a vendor badge clearly visable and can easily be reported by means of a simple phone call. See here http://www.bigissue.com/selling.html for more details.

I must say it's refreshing to see so many of you helping out those less fortunate then yourselves..........

Why should I buy what I consider to be a crap magazine for that reason? I think doing so if you think the publication is crap is a bit patronising towards the people selling it. It's a bit like buying a Rover because you wanted the factory to stay open. My choices of good causes lie elsewhere.

BeansBeansBeans
4th April 2007, 09:40
It's a bit like buying a Rover.

Steady on Ben, the Big Issue isn't that bad.

BDunnell
4th April 2007, 10:11
Steady on Ben, the Big Issue isn't that bad.

The two do have their similarities. Both fall to bits when they get wet, for one thing.

raphael123
4th April 2007, 10:18
Quite funny BDunnell, who argued back when I said I begrudge paying taxes when it goes to people who are too lazy too work, is here now saying he is not prepared to buy a magazine for a good cause.

Then there's CarlMetro, who if I remember correctly, was saying regarding the NHS and privatisation that he doesn't see why he should contribute towards the NHS if he decides to go private, and admitted to it being a selfish point of view, is stating he always buys it to help the poor and homeless.

Quite a reversal of roles!

Unless CarlMetro is not the guy I was thinking of, and if that's the case, then I've just embarrassed myself :)

By the way I buy the magazine from time to time, but usually I avoid it. I buy it out of sympathy, and if I'm really bored. There's usually a couple of good articles, but not worth the £1.40, but as it's been said, it's for a good cause.

BDunnell
4th April 2007, 10:20
Quite funny BDunnell, who argued back when I said I begrudge paying taxes when it goes to people who are too lazy too work, is here now saying he is not prepared to buy a magazine for a good cause.

Then there's CarlMetro, who if I remember correctly, was saying regarding the NHS and privatisation that he doesn't see why he should contribute towards the NHS if he decides to go private, and admitted to it being a selfish point of view, is stating he always buys it to help the poor and homeless.

Quite a reversal of roles!

:laugh:

I would, by the way, buy a magazine for a good cause if the magazine was equally good.

raphael123
4th April 2007, 10:54
:laugh:

I would, by the way, buy a magazine for a good cause if the magazine was equally good.

lol, that's even funnier. So you don't mind paying more money (through tax) for **** public services, when you can get it for cheaper, but you do when your buying a £1.40 magazine!!

lol oh dear, each to their own mate

BDunnell
4th April 2007, 10:56
lol, that's even funnier. So you don't mind paying more money (through tax) for **** public services, when you can get it for cheaper, but you do when your buying a £1.40 magazine!!

lol oh dear, each to their own mate

I don't believe there is any inherent contradiction in what I've said. One view has no bearing on the other, as far as I'm concerned. I can't support every charitable cause going.

BeansBeansBeans
4th April 2007, 10:58
Raphael, you are the king of the straw-man argument.

raphael123
4th April 2007, 11:37
I don't believe there is any inherent contradiction in what I've said. One view has no bearing on the other, as far as I'm concerned. I can't support every charitable cause going.

No you can't :) , I just find the fact you said you don't mind giving your money to the lazy people who can't be bothered to work, but you DO mind paying even less money to a good 'charity' course I find amusing, if slightly confusing.

BeansBeansBeans
4th April 2007, 11:40
No you can't :) , I just find the fact you said you don't mind giving your money to the lazy people who can't be bothered to work, but you DO mind paying even less money to a good 'charity' course I find amusing, if slightly confusing.

Here we go again. BDunnell never stated that he doesn't mind giving his money to lazy people. He just said that he doesn't feel he is taxed unfairly. I find your persistent habit of putting words into other people's mouths genuinely annoying.

BDunnell
4th April 2007, 11:47

Whatever.

raphael123
4th April 2007, 11:54
Here we go again. BDunnell never stated that he doesn't mind giving his money to lazy people. He just said that he doesn't feel he is taxed unfairly. I find your persistent habit of putting words into other people's mouths genuinely annoying.

I think BDunnell said he doesn't mind.

Umm, another case of not reading the threats maybe BBB. He said 'and I don't mind the fact that a very small percentage of what I pay in tax goes to some people who maybe don't deserve money from the state '. If that's not saying he doesnt mind giving money to lazy people I'm not sure how much clearer he could have said it for you!!

Anyway, I don't think anyone finds this particularly interesting in the squabbling. So I'll leave it at that :)

No hard feelings on my part

stevie_gerrard
4th April 2007, 12:45
Stafford is the home of Big Issue :p :

I havent bought one, but i have been tempted to buy one to see what the content of the magazine actually is.

Hazell B
4th April 2007, 20:07
Thanks for the price info Carl.

Now I know that, I probably will buy an issue or two. I had thought it was far less to the seller and more to an organisation of some kind.

The sellers in York have always, without fail, been very kind and never pushy in my experience. They all wear tabards now I think, though to be honest I've not really noticed that much as the local newspapers sellers also wear orange vests and they all look alike.

walrus81
5th April 2007, 06:14
It's not confined to the northern hemisphere. A guy tried to sell me a Big Issue last week.