PDA

View Full Version : Chat room

Mark
3rd January 2013, 20:40
During most of the Grand Prix last year we've had a chat box on the front page for discussions while the racing is going on. While there has been reasonable attendance it was usually the same 4 or 5 people chatting during the race.

So is this something which should continue in 2013. Are there changes which can be made to persuade you to use the chat if you currently don't. Or just it's not worth keeping?

airshifter
3rd January 2013, 20:57
I've never used it but can't see any reason to get rid of it unless it causes problems.

I rarely watch races live these days, and when I do I don't do it with the laptop in my lap. Otherwise I'd probably log on myself.

Tazio
3rd January 2013, 21:12
Please do what you think is best :dork:

TheFamousEccles
4th January 2013, 02:00
Didn't know it was there - ignorance is bliss?

Koz
4th January 2013, 09:34
Mark, if you decide to keep the chat, could you also put on up for the qualifying sessions too?

Also, I think the WRC boys would probably find a chat feature more useful then us. :)

Didn't know it was there - ignorance is bliss?

Mark has been posting up a thread every race for about a year... Before that I hosted a chat for a year or two, and before that Pino for god knows how many years...

Tazio
4th January 2013, 12:36
Mark, if you decide to keep the chat, could you also put on up for the qualifying sessions too?

Also, I think the WRC boys would probably find a chat feature more useful then us. :)

Mark has been posting up a thread every race for about a year... Before that I hosted a chat for a year or two, and before that Pino for god knows how many years...Kozington Chat ruled!! :up: I wonder why it succeeded where Mark failed :confused:
Just kidding [attachment=1:1ectbe2f]2000px-Alcatraz03182006.jpg[/attachment:1ectbe2f] ;)

AndyL
4th January 2013, 12:42
During some Grands Prix there have been people "chatting" in the forum thread for the race, while the chat box was available on the front page. Posting the announcement in the race thread as well as on its own thread might get a few more people across.

Also I'd suggest putting a link to the front page in the announcement, to save having to hunt around for the relevant navigation link. I'm sure there are people who have their bookmarks pointed at a particular subforum or to the new posts page, who never usually see the front page.

IceWizard
4th January 2013, 19:53
A good concept which I would consider using but not an option for me as I don't have wireless. I have the choice of tv or internet. Another issue within the UK at least may be that some people will be waiting for the BBC highlights and therefore won't want to know what's going on.

schmenke
4th January 2013, 21:25
...I rarely watch races live these days, and when I do I don't do it with the laptop in my lap. ...

Ditto.

steveaki13
4th January 2013, 22:01
I used it quite alot last season. I enjoy it, another forum i go to occasionally has chat on and the box is a lot larger. Which allows you to see older remarks and have time to answer questions.

Just need to get more people on and I think its worth keeping. Defo

donKey jote
4th January 2013, 22:44
it was usually the same 4 or 5 people chatting during the race.
were they the same 4 or 5 chatting in the thread too ? :laugh:

p.s. how about a Footie chat for whenever Barça plays ? :andrea: :p

N. Jones
5th January 2013, 02:58
I like it and need to start using it more often. I would like to it, and anything else, that would help drum up some interest in fantasy grand prix. The chat would be a good "real time" extension of that. Plus I think it would help getting more laughs. We have lots of fun with FGP and the chat could really bear that out.

Ok, my PR stint is over for now. :D

Koz
5th January 2013, 03:15
Kozington Chat ruled!! :up: I wonder why it succeeded where Mark failed :confused:
Just kidding 3070 ;)

It succeeded because it took me 6 months to realise that the domain had expired!!

PS: You missed a Z :(

Tazio
5th January 2013, 07:44
f
It succeeded because it took me 6 months to realise that the domain had expired!!
PS: You missed a Z :(
That's right, it worked out just fine for me because I dragged every 'Ho' and strumpet into your chat room for filthy conversation during the off season. I hope that didn't raise the cost on your room my brotha'.
:s ailor: Gots to keep pimpin' real chizzel

JasonPotato
5th January 2013, 17:34
I find it handy, easier than making a post anyhow...

airshifter
5th January 2013, 20:02
I like it and need to start using it more often. I would like to it, and anything else, that would help drum up some interest in fantasy grand prix. The chat would be a good "real time" extension of that. Plus I think it would help getting more laughs. We have lots of fun with FGP and the chat could really bear that out.

Ok, my PR stint is over for now. :D

FGP is fun.... easier to laugh at yourself or be humble when doing good when you don't get so wrapped up in favorites and such. I'm surprised you don't get more people participating in the forum thread for FGP.

Maybe you need grid girl pics or something. :laugh:

Koz
5th January 2013, 20:17
f
That's right, it worked out just fine for me because I dragged every 'Ho' and strumpet into your chat room for filthy conversation during the off season. I hope that didn't raise the cost on your room my brotha'.
:s ailor: Gots to keep pimpin' real chizzel

Uh... I really hope you cleaned up after yourself...

Tazio
6th January 2013, 01:18
Uh... I really hope you cleaned up after yourself...

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/401645_377303105691916_1561066526_n.jpg

Knock-on
6th January 2013, 13:33
I sometimes use it depending on where I am. Would it be better to host it on the F1 Forum rather than the main page?

Mark
6th January 2013, 17:05
That was a restriction of the software. I'll see if I can fix that.

Dave B
11th January 2013, 19:48
Would it be an idea to use Twitter with an appropriate hashtag?

Knock-on
11th January 2013, 20:26
I wouldn't know how to tweet. I've only just worked out what the red button on TV does :(

N. Jones
13th January 2013, 14:24
FGP is fun.... easier to laugh at yourself or be humble when doing good when you don't get so wrapped up in favorites and such. I'm surprised you don't get more people participating in the forum thread for FGP.

Maybe you need grid girl pics or something. :laugh:

:)

I will start in FGP advertising meeting up the chat and see if we can drum up more support for it. It is also a fun place to talk to fans real time.

airshifter
15th January 2013, 02:17
OK... stupid question time. But does the chat work on a mobile app? If not is it something that could be done?

I'd be much more likely to have my phone with me when I watch a live race. Just a thought. It might also work for those at work, travels, etc. etc. if they don't want to wait for the news.

Great new sig N. Jones. When I have time maybe I'll help push FGP along as well!

Mark
15th January 2013, 06:42
Yes If you use the desktop version of the website it works fine. I've chatted using my iPhone. Bit fiddly I grant you.