PDA

View Full Version : how do drivers make money?

Granatelli
30th December 2012, 21:57
I'm not real up on the inside workings of Indy Car, but I understand quite a few drivers pay for their rides or need to bring sponsorship. how do the drivers get paid? do they get keep the winnings or does it go to the team owner. do the drivers make a decent living?

Mark
31st December 2012, 14:24
How do you make a small fortune in motorsport? Start with a big fortune.

nigelred5
31st December 2012, 15:07
I believe it varies widely. Some drivers are able to keep a portion of sponsorship they bring for their expenses. Some teams turn around and pay the driver a wage. Some get percentages of winnings. Some live in their daddy's house. ;)

Nem14
31st December 2012, 20:22
You could gain some insights by reading Helio Castroneves's book - Victory Road.

The funding needed to race in the various ladder series that lead to Indy Car is also worth exploring.

Define 'a decent living'.

Anubis
3rd January 2013, 03:20
Possibly a tangential question, but what would we say is the highest level a solid driver can get to on a purely professional basis? That is, being paid to drive by either teams or sponsors and not bringing any money to the table? What form of racing presents a viable career in terms of making a living rather than necessarily going for victory? My best guess would be established national/international GT series sort of level with maybe an outing in prototypes here and there (LeMans being the obvious one), but I have no facts to support that conclusion. Would the NASCAR ladder present similar opportunity? Excluding the start and parks, would any of the Nationwide/Truck Series drivers be of that ilk?

Starter
3rd January 2013, 05:16
Possibly a tangential question, but what would we say is the highest level a solid driver can get to on a purely professional basis? That is, being paid to drive by either teams or sponsors and not bringing any money to the table? What form of racing presents a viable career in terms of making a living rather than necessarily going for victory? My best guess would be established national/international GT series sort of level with maybe an outing in prototypes here and there (LeMans being the obvious one), but I have no facts to support that conclusion. Would the NASCAR ladder present similar opportunity? Excluding the start and parks, would any of the Nationwide/Truck Series drivers be of that ilk?
There is a question here of what exactly do you mean by "not bringing money to the table". If a driver finds a sponsor willing to put them in a ride is that "bringing money"? Or do you only mean if the sponsor approaches the driver? Fuzzy line there.

Anubis
3rd January 2013, 19:35
There is a question here of what exactly do you mean by "not bringing money to the table". If a driver finds a sponsor willing to put them in a ride is that "bringing money"? Or do you only mean if the sponsor approaches the driver? Fuzzy line there.

I'd say the latter, but yes, it's fuzzy. I'm thinking of it as anything involving pure cash inflow to the driver. In some cases, that could well mean the driver is in the employ of the sponsor rather than the team. I suppose I'm asking if you can exist as a "facilitator" or "brand ambassador" who just happens to be able to drive a bit, and whether that still qualifies you as a racing driver?

Nem14
3rd January 2013, 19:43
Sticking with just Indy Car.

I would expect most drivers have a personal sponsor(s), and I would venture most Indy Car drivers get some % of any purse money the team earns.

If they are good enough, drivers get paid a salary which is indirectly provided by team sponsors.

Many driver risk financial ruin in pursuit of their career. read - Flat Out. Flat Broke. Formula 1 the hard way - by Perry McCarthy

SoCalPVguy
7th January 2013, 21:59
How do drivers make money?

Obtaining their own sponsor ship and 'rent a car' as a ride buyer. very few ICS drivers actually get paid by the teams and/or prize money. Having a rich relative is also a popular way for ICS drivers to get paid.

Wilf
13th January 2013, 03:52
How do drivers make money?

very few ICS drivers actually get paid by the teams and/or prize money. Having a rich relative is also a popular way for ICS drivers to get paid.

Very few, are you saying 10%, 25% are receiving a salary? It would be interesting seeing who you feel those few are and we can figure out the rest.

anthonyvop
13th January 2013, 05:45
Very few, are you saying 10%, 25% are receiving a salary? It would be interesting seeing who you feel those few are and we can figure out the rest.

Noticed that you wrote "Receiving" a salary as opposed to EARNING a salary. There is a difference.

Wilf
13th January 2013, 18:00
Noticed that you wrote "Receiving" a salary as opposed to EARNING a salary. There is a difference.

Please elaborate.

Mark
13th January 2013, 18:13
As in being paid for their driving skill alone as opposed to being paid because of the sponsor they have brought with them.

Wilf
13th January 2013, 23:21
As in being paid for their driving skill alone as opposed to being paid because of the sponsor they have brought with them.

So Rubens Barrichello received money, he didn't earn it. How about Graham Rahal, he brought the sponsor, did he receive a salary or earn it.

Starter
14th January 2013, 02:22
So Rubens Barrichello received money, he didn't earn it. How about Graham Rahal, he brought the sponsor, did he receive a salary or earn it.
Define "earn".

If a driver has a sponsor it's usually because that driver brings some value to the sponsor. This may or may not have some relation to the driver's ability (see Danica). In her case, she "earned" the money spent on her ride through the publicity she brought to GoDaddy. But, she was paid for the exposure she brought to the sponsor and not necessarily for her performance on the track. Other sponsors just wish to have the exposure of their car running around the track and, so long as the car at least makes the field, that's good enough. Some are willing to pay more for their car to run around the track at the front and sometimes win and in this case they do care whether the driver can consistently compete for wins.

Wilf
14th January 2013, 05:21
Define "earn".

If a driver has a sponsor it's usually because that driver brings some value to the sponsor. This may or may not have some relation to the driver's ability (see Danica). In her case, she "earned" the money spent on her ride through the publicity she brought to GoDaddy. But, she was paid for the exposure she brought to the sponsor and not necessarily for her performance on the track. Other sponsors just wish to have the exposure of their car running around the track and, so long as the car at least makes the field, that's good enough. Some are willing to pay more for their car to run around the track at the front and sometimes win and in this case they do care whether the driver can consistently compete for wins.

I agree, the question is does anthonyvop or So CalPVguy?

anthonyvop
14th January 2013, 19:09
Please elaborate.

I am talking strictly driver ability here for those who are payed to race, not ride buyers.

Marco Andretti receives a Salary. It is debatable whether he earns it or not.

Ride buyers in most cases have earned their ride.

BDunnell
14th January 2013, 20:09
I am talking strictly driver ability here for those who are payed to race, not ride buyers.

Marco Andretti receives a Salary. It is debatable whether he earns it or not.

Ride buyers in most cases have earned their ride.

Semantics.

anthonyvop
14th January 2013, 23:21
Semantics.

And the definition of Semantics applies how?

SoCalPVguy
15th January 2013, 00:27
There's "earn" and there's "earn":

1. to acquire through merit. Not gonna touch that one with a 10 foot pole. LOL

2. to merit as compensation, as for service.

That's what I thought the OP meant. By earn I though he meant "paid by the team" like a crew employee. Frankly in ICS today that is very few if any drivers. Most are paid by sponsors. Some are paid by team as part of the sponsorship of the team, the drivers cost is a part of the team's sponsorship package and the money is just passed through. Some are paid directly by the sponsor directly to the driver outside of the team but the team chose and hired the driver and crew. Some are ride buyers where the driver is paid directly by his/her 'personal sponsor' directly outside of the team and furthermore that sponsor also pays the team to supply a car & crew for their driver.

More iterations available I am sure ....

garyshell
15th January 2013, 06:11
Po-tay-toe
Po-ta-toe

Gary

anthonyvop
15th January 2013, 23:15
Po-tay-toe
Po-ta-toe

Gary

Who the hell calls it Po-ta-toe? Seriously?

Starter
16th January 2013, 00:05
Let's vote. The eyes will have it. :p

nigelred5
16th January 2013, 14:42

My grandmother actually. Po Tah toe and To Mah toe. She always spoke a more proper english but that was also due to being raised a socialite and hiding a german accent. Of course the nuns also wrapped her knuckles any time she atempted to write with her dominant left hand. She also barely had a serious bone in her body, so it was always assumed to be tongue in cheek. ;)

I'm a spud fan myself. Fraaahd spuds. Mashed spuds. baked spuds. home fraaahd spuds.

anthonyvop
16th January 2013, 19:55
My grandmother actually. Po Tah toe and To Mah toe. She always spoke a more proper english .

Proper English? Is that what your mom told you?

Hate to burst you bubble but that "proper English" was actually a speech impediment.

EagleEye
10th February 2013, 22:25
Typically, the driver gets a salary, and around 40% of winnings. Since the Leader card program was established, Indy and the series Championship pay out cash awards.

Penske, TCGR, Andretti's RHR/MA/JH, Coyne/Wilson, KV Racing, SPM, Herta, Dragon/Bourdais, D&R, Panther, SFH, and Foyt pay their drivers.

Some bring money via their relationships like Graham and Kimbal. Others pay to drive (Jakes, Viso, etc.)

That said, some drivers get personal sponsorship as well.