PDA

View Full Version : Atkinson's co-driver Macneall quits

Buzz Lightyear
3rd April 2007, 13:00
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/57779

turves
3rd April 2007, 13:10
Probably Portugal was one too many accidents...

Shrike
3rd April 2007, 13:33
Thats too bad. I wonder if Atkinson will improve with a new co-driver? I think Macneall was pretty good so I'm not too sure. Breaking in a new co-driver must be difficult.

Simmi
3rd April 2007, 13:37
Not what Atko needs in his make or break season. Things like this happen though. I'm sure Glenn wouldn't be leaving if the results were better.

Tom206wrc
3rd April 2007, 13:58
Sad news :( but we can understand that if McNeal wants to give himself another orientation outside rallying, it's a decision that belongs to himself alone :)

A.F.F.
3rd April 2007, 14:10
Or maybe they start filming Tolkien's The Hobbit and he got a part :D

Ok ok, sorry. :)

jidoka
3rd April 2007, 14:31
I'm getting Deja vu. Duval????

WRC2006
3rd April 2007, 14:47
Not what Atko needs in his make or break season. Things like this happen though. I'm sure Glenn wouldn't be leaving if the results were better.

I totaly agree with you.

I am evil Homer
3rd April 2007, 15:01
I seem to remember he used a really strange system too - not at all like other co-drivers.

N.O.T
3rd April 2007, 15:14
Damn.....Not a good sign when the co-driver quits from you.....Maybe he feels ATko is just hopeless

leno
3rd April 2007, 15:15
it is very sad news but i think he can get another maybe even better one

jidoka
3rd April 2007, 15:31
it is very sad news but i think he can get another maybe even better one

A better one. What was wrong McNeal?

J.Lindstroem
3rd April 2007, 16:08
Is Tony Sircombe an option for the replacement, or what do you think?

Maybe Nicky Grist! ;) ;) ;)

White Sauron
3rd April 2007, 16:16

Ok ok, sorry. :)

How did you know? I thought Glen starring as the young Gollum was my secret... :D

Doon
3rd April 2007, 16:19
I reckon Robert Reid would be a good choice, plus he has strong relations with Subaru.

Donney
3rd April 2007, 16:30
That's strange but Atkinson will get over it.

turves
3rd April 2007, 16:32

:laugh:

bennizw
3rd April 2007, 17:00
Just read it myself from wrc.com. My guess and immediate thought would of course be Robert Reid, but he hasn't been active for some time. Again Tony Sircombe could be an alternative for a short period, but nothing for long time? I wouldn't expect Nicky Grist would step in from the blue. I expect SWRT's candidates will only be co-drivers who have notable WRC experience. I wait in interest for the press-release.

FrankenSchwinn
3rd April 2007, 17:23
i havent seen coverage of portugal yet but i did go to youtube and pulled this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJbT5_g5eYg and i have to say that he just got completely taken off gard with this corner but it was not a bad outage though. i mean, it's not like they roll 20 times or anything. it just sucks for chris.

Mihai
3rd April 2007, 18:55
Is Tony Sircombe an option for the replacement, or what do you think?

Maybe Nicky Grist! ;) ;) ;)

Maybe Atko's brother, Ben Atkinson, who was his first co-driver in international rallying ?

I was really shocked as I read the news. The Duval-Prevot split flashbacked in my mind too.

MJW
3rd April 2007, 19:22
I think Glenn has moved to live in NZ so I guess long flights from Auckland to the rallies, mainly in Europe gets to you eventually.

Mickey T
3rd April 2007, 19:33
it's not any need for panic, nor had it been a panicked scenario...

Tom206wrc
3rd April 2007, 19:40
Maybe Atko's brother, Ben Atkinson, who was his first co-driver in international rallying ?

I was really shocked as I read the news. The Duval-Prevot split flashbacked in my mind too.

And his third brother, Rowan ?? :p :

Mihai
3rd April 2007, 19:44
And his third brother, Rowan ?? :p :

Mr Bean likes to wreck exotics like the McLaren F1GTR, not Imprezas. ;)

koko0703
3rd April 2007, 20:43
I didn't think Atkinson was doing particulary bad up until now, but maybe that is not the view from Glen's eyes. I hope Chris can find a new co-driver whom he can really trust because this season is very important for Chris. I think Robert Reid would be a great choice and will bring much needed experience into Chris's car.

Lalo
3rd April 2007, 21:20
Chris is doing slowly better and better.. The thing here is that despite Atko's performance, Glenn said he didn't want to continue being codriver because he wanted to do some new stuff.. Is it bull**** or is he saying the truth?
I don't think he got off the car because of Chrises crashes.

curry
3rd April 2007, 23:04
Having met Glenn, I can honestly say that he is very very nice bloke and I am just wondering if he is cut out for life of the WRC circus? I am led to believe that Chris recently moved to Monaco and is fitting in quite well with the high rolling lifestyle but Glenn still has his roots firmly planted back in the Southern Hemisphere.

Maybe this 'moving apart' between the two of them has lead Glenn to question his involvement and the crash in Portugal just convinced him he had enough.

Another thought which fits in with the above scenario is that Chris openly admits that he missed a pace note which caused the crash; maybe they are not working as well together any more.

I will also add that he seemed very happy in February during the Rally of Sweden - things have obviously changed.

I hope that Chris can rebound from this and try and save what could possibly be his final year but more importantly hope that Glenn finds what he is looking for.

Curry

duff
4th April 2007, 00:27
it's not any need for panic, nor had it been a panicked scenario...

My ears are burning Mickey T! what do you know?

jparker
4th April 2007, 01:12
Can someone explain how pace notes are done? Whose call is how partucular SS section is marked down? Driver of Co-driver?

Bjorn240
4th April 2007, 01:48
1st pass of the recce, driver tells co-driver what notes he wants. Co-driver writes it down.

2nd pass of the recce, co-driver reads notes to driver. Driver tells co-driver what changes, additions, or redactions he wants. Co-driver adjusts notes.

During the rally, same as 2nd pass, only a bit faster, and the changes are a lot less frequent and the writing is less neat. :)

FrankenSchwinn
4th April 2007, 01:52
1st pass of the recce, driver tells co-driver what notes he wants. Co-driver writes it down.

2nd pass of the recce, co-driver reads notes to driver. Driver tells co-driver what changes, additions, or redactions he wants. Co-driver adjusts notes.

During the rally, same as 2nd pass, only a bit faster, and the changes are a lot less frequent and the writing is less neat. :)

how the hell would you know??

j/k

ST205GT4
4th April 2007, 02:27
Interesting. Hope it doesn't stuff Atko up to much.

Best of luck to Glenn.

jparker
4th April 2007, 03:28

Thanks for your reply Christian,
In this case is it possible that Atko didn't see the hidden danger of this section during the recce (and some other drivers too), probably because it looked OK when driven slowly?
Also, is that what he openly admits?

COD
4th April 2007, 08:00
All the travelling involved is not pleasant in the long term and if like Curry said he now has to travel alone from Auckland then it must really suck. Also he might have gotten a job offer he can not refuse? Co-driving in WRC is not a lifetime job.

I would think that Ben Atkinson is likely replacement at least in the short term.

Carlo
4th April 2007, 08:25
All the travelling involved is not pleasant in the long term and if like Curry said he now has to travel alone from Auckland then it must really suck. Also he might have gotten a job offer he can not refuse? Co-driving in WRC is not a lifetime job.

I would suspect that leaving Emma behind in Dunedin (home of the Otago Rally) maybe even more difficult.

Livewireshock
4th April 2007, 08:50
It must be remembered in the light of all this, Ben Atkinson co-drove for Chris all through their campaigning in the Australian Rally Championship, Chinese Rally Championship & the Asian Pacific Championship. When the call came for Chris to move into the WRC, Ben did not want to go with his brother for exactly the reasons Glenn Macneall is giving now. Ben wanted to stay locally & not travel too much as would be required in the WRC. Glenn only joined Chris when he went to Europe.

Since then Ben has compete in the Australian championship on one off events plus tarmac targa road events. Last year, he won the Asia Pacific Rally Championship with Cody Crocker to add to his S1600 APRC win with Chris. Last weekend, Ben co-drove the Zero car at the Rally of Queensland.

Glenn's better half, Emma Gilmour is good rally driver in her own right, competing in the New Zealand Championship. Being on totally opposite sides of the globe for months on end would strain any relationship. I would put a great deal of weight on this factor in Glenn making the decision he has made.

Maybe a PWRC career, co-driving for Emma, might be a way back for Glenn in the future?

Maui J.
4th April 2007, 09:03
Will be interested to see if Glenn jumps into the co-drivers seat next to Emma this year for the NZ Champs.
I do think that the long distance relationship is a big part of Glenn's decision here.

Leon
4th April 2007, 09:08
Will be interested to see if Glenn jumps into the co-drivers seat next to Emma this year for the NZ Champs.
I do think that the long distance relationship is a big part of Glenn's decision here.

it is already confirm. Mcneall co-drive Gilmour

Buzz Lightyear
4th April 2007, 10:16
[quote="COD"]All the travelling involved is not pleasant in the long term and if like Curry said he now has to travel alone from Auckland then it must really suck. Also he might have gotten a job offer he can not refuse? Co-driving in WRC is not a lifetime job.

QUOTE]

Look, it Aktinson was winning rallies, the travelling would not be a problem! I think Glenn is somewhat fustrated with Chris. Time after time, Chris seems to suffer from red mist. I think Chris's accident on Portugal has the potential to be absolutley MASSIVE. If the car has started rolling, the car would be in bits, and the potential for injury. I think Glenn has took the wobblies, and is getting out before he has one accident too many.

GlenW
4th April 2007, 11:30
It has to be a decision made after the accident in Portugal. If Glenn had been thinking about this for a long time then Subaru would have announced the replacement co-driver straight away. It's obviously quite a surprise to them.

WRC2006
4th April 2007, 11:58

Here is the answer :

http://www.rallysportmag.com.au/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1232&Itemid=2

raybak
4th April 2007, 12:10
Hey Glen are you a candidate to sit next to Chris???

Ray

Tomi
4th April 2007, 12:18
Sometimes when a driver has problems to stay on the road it helps to put a respected experienced co-driver to read the notes, good example of this is when Harjanne did co-drive Tommi.

GlenW
4th April 2007, 12:26

Ray

I wouldn't think so.

Livewireshock
4th April 2007, 12:32

Ray

Maybe you could put the Charade to one side & put your hand up for the job Ray!!!!

curry
4th April 2007, 13:17
From Emma Gilmour's website

"It was announced last night that my partner Glenn has left the Subaru World Rally Team which was a difficult decision for him to make, and one he certainly didn't make lightly. The timing is very good for me though and I certainly hope that it doesn't look Glenn had planned the timing of his departure to coincide with my rally season, as up until the weekend he always had every intention of doing the whole season with Chris. I am very happy simply to have Glenn home. If he codrives for me - that will be an added bonus. :o )"

Interesting!

Tom206wrc
4th April 2007, 13:20
I would suspect that leaving Emma behind in Dunedin (home of the Otago Rally) maybe even more difficult.

Emma Gilmour ??? :confused:

What a LUCK he has if he's her boyfriend :(

jonkka
4th April 2007, 18:28
Emma Gilmour ??? :confused:

What a LUCK he has if he's her boyfriend :(

How come? :eek:

raybak
4th April 2007, 22:49
Maybe you could put the Charade to one side & put your hand up for the job Ray!!!!

I'll have chat with Chris this weekend at Bathurst. don't think that I would be in the running as I only did about 14 pace noted events last year :)

Would love to have a go though, I wreckon i could handle the pace.

Also on a fitness training program at the moment, with some good motivation from Dr John Tickell.

Ray

duff
5th April 2007, 00:22
Sometimes when a driver has problems to stay on the road it helps to put a respected experienced co-driver to read the notes, good example of this is when Harjanne did co-drive Tommi.

And Nicky Grist with Colin. It seemed to me that this was the a big part of Ben Atkinson giving up the co-driving seat for Glenn in the first place.
Ben is the obvious answer for a short term replacement, but I hope the job goes to Dale Moscatt for the long term, hes very proffesional and very motivated.

duff
5th April 2007, 00:31
as up until the weekend he always had every intention of doing the whole season with Chris

So it was the Crash then???

jparker
5th April 2007, 00:59
So it was the Crash then???

I think so. Subaru's strategy in this case is "better try changing something, it may work".

Artep
5th April 2007, 09:14
dammit.

knew i should have gone to Portugal, now I won't get a chance to say goodbye.

Glenn is one of the nicest guys, always had time for everyone....I'll miss him on the international rounds.

Mickey T
5th April 2007, 09:42
all i can tell you is that it was NOT a decision that was sparked by the portugal crash.

this has been a matter of discussion between them for some time.

Daniel
5th April 2007, 10:34
I think this is good for Atkinson. McNeal's notes just don't seem to have a smooth rhythm like those of other good co-drivers. I think we'll see an improvement in Chris' driving but not a mindblowingly big one.....

Christina
5th April 2007, 13:50
Aww, it's sad to lose Glenn, but hopefully in the long-term it will be a good descision for both of them.

Echoing the words of others who have already posted, he's gotta be one of the nicest guys in the WRC. I'll miss my crazy conversations with him.

EuroTroll
5th April 2007, 14:40
It seems to me that this is something... normal. :) Glenn wanting to be at home more, etc. Nothing to get too worked up about. C'est la vie, etc. ;)

Now, the real question here is: why the **** hasn't Atkinson made it to the big time, yet? (I don't think it's Glenn...) Well?

Will a new co-driver help Atkinson? I surely hope so! But why the **** hasn't he made it to the big time, yet? ;)

jparker
5th April 2007, 17:45
It seems to me that this is something... normal. :) Glenn wanting to be at home more, etc. Nothing to get too worked up about. C'est la vie, etc. ;)

Now, the real question here is: why the **** hasn't Atkinson made it to the big time, yet? (I don't think it's Glenn...) Well?

Will a new co-driver help Atkinson? I surely hope so! But why the **** hasn't he made it to the big time, yet? ;)

I agree with you Studiose, this has to do more with Atko then Glen.

I think Subaru are running out of options with Atko. I guess before they make their final decision, they want to exhaust all possibilities. Is it going to help? Maybe yes, maybe not, but even small improvment will be better then do nothing. If SWRT don't try this, they will never find out.

Fleur
6th April 2007, 03:51
Bad news for Chris, great news for Emma.
Replacement? In my mind Robert Reid would be a great replacewment, as already mentioned by others.
Maybe Tony Sircombe, but he has PWRC committments already.....

Erki
6th April 2007, 07:48
Didn't Reid say that if he ever returns then he does it with Burns?

What about David Senior?

HG_Lancer
6th April 2007, 07:59
hello

I have a question. Hopefully someone is so kind to clarify... the elaborated pace note system employed by Glenn, is designed by whom? by Glenn alone? lets say, Atko did not feel comfortable with it, would he actually have a say in it? if not, and Atko prefers this system (and I am not who to say it is good or bad) and then he has the oportunity to have Robert Reid to his right, would he be imposed Roberts pacenote system (my favorite) or would he impose the one he used with Glenn to Robert. I ask because some ppl seem to burden very much on Glenn, and the only thing i notice extremely different to other codrivers is the more elaborate pacenotes. Sorry for the long post only to know about pacenotes and who decides what to use.

Tomi
6th April 2007, 08:57
hello

I have a question. Hopefully someone is so kind to clarify... the elaborated pace note system employed by Glenn, is designed by whom? by Glenn alone? lets say, Atko did not feel comfortable with it, would he actually have a say in it? if not, and Atko prefers this system (and I am not who to say it is good or bad) and then he has the oportunity to have Robert Reid to his right, would he be imposed Roberts pacenote system (my favorite) or would he impose the one he used with Glenn to Robert. I ask because some ppl seem to burden very much on Glenn, and the only thing i notice extremely different to other codrivers is the more elaborate pacenotes. Sorry for the long post only to know about pacenotes and who decides what to use.

the driver tells the notes, co-driver write those down, so the responsibility that the notes are correct is the drivers, but that the reading is correct and on spot is the co-drivers job.

HG_Lancer
6th April 2007, 10:55
oh Tomi, i did not explain myself clearly, I meant about the pacenote style. You know, some use numbers, Robert and Richard used the hairpin, k, medium, etc, to designate corners. and i understand Glenn uses numbers, but then he uses other names and intermediate designations. I meant that. Thanks for the answer though

bowler
6th April 2007, 11:45
drivers choice

WRC2006
6th April 2007, 14:21
The pacenote style is drivers' choice. The job of the co-driver is to read the notes for the driver and correct them when necessary and of course asked by the driver during the stage.

But for the best co-driver, sometimes he read twice the same notes to highlit caution. In the case of Chris and Glenn, following the inboard camer, it is Chris who didn't follow the pace notes or missed it.

Otherwise it was clear in the notes something like : 3rd 9 Right on...9 Left -60 (minus 60) which means Chris should be already in 3rd Gear before to enter the first right bend as he was with a high speed of almost 150 (following the previous + 150) to negociate that successive bends. 3rd (gear) in the pace notes should be something cautios or a slow down.

bennizw
6th April 2007, 15:45
Such a complicated pacenote system. Why not do it the McRae and Grist way, much less information, only includes the vitals the driver needs. And again, corners from 1-6 (+-).

EuroTroll
6th April 2007, 17:06
Didn't Reid say that if he ever returns then he does it with Burns?

Maybe it's time someone told him that Burns is dead? :)

HG_Lancer
6th April 2007, 18:11
thanks everyone for the answer. If one has trouble to follow complicated pacenotes, i think some simplification is in order too.

regards
H

Erki
6th April 2007, 21:23
Maybe it's time someone told him that Burns is dead? :)

No-one has to do that, I'm sure he knows it very well. I remember he said it when Burns still had a chance of survival but now he's passed away, Reid is obviously retired of co-driving.

I'm not really sure if you either really didn't get my point(oh well) or wanted to have a dig at me(have fun :D )

Carlo
6th April 2007, 21:46
The ultimate notes are just a reinforcement of your memeory, from experience I can assure you that the more familiar that we became with the roads then the less information we needed to contain in our notes and they became memeory joggers and an assurance that we were in the right place at the right time.

Perhaps this then is the reason that Chris has so much information in his notes as compared to others who have had far more experience on those well known stages than he has.

Look at Sweden this year when just about everyone was on new territory, the Superstars were all bitching about not having their notes right. Reason, they were starting from scratch on new roads and have not had those years of practise on them so as to refine their notes for maximum attack.

EuroTroll
6th April 2007, 21:48
No-one has to do that, I'm sure he knows it very well. I remember he said it when Burns still had a chance of survival but now he's passed away, Reid is obviously retired of co-driving.

I'm not really sure if you either really didn't get my point(oh well) or wanted to have a dig at me(have fun :D )

Neither. :) Just seizing the chance to try some dubious humour, there. ;)

But not entirely without point. I do wish Reid would return, 'cause Atko would probably benefit greatly from his company.

Stig
8th April 2007, 01:57
Such a complicated pacenote system. Why not do it the McRae and Grist way, much less information, only includes the vitals the driver needs. And again, corners from 1-6 (+-).

Colin's one to six refers to gears not corner angle. There is a video around somewhere where he explains his system.

bda
8th April 2007, 02:28
I saw an interview with Chris on Australian T.V. this weekend. He made it very clear that the decision was Glenn's and no one else's. He also made it very clear that the accident in Portugal was driver error. The pace note was correct and read perfectly by Glenn. He said he was concentrating too much on what was wrong with the car setup instead of concentrating on the stage.
He should have positioned the car on the right of the crest for the following left hander, but they were in the middle of the crest, which makes a big difference at 200kph.

bda
8th April 2007, 02:38
I would agree that Chris's pace note system seems complicated to me but that is irrelevant. It is purely the drivers choice of what system to use, and the driver will choose whatever system works for him/her. Everyone is different.

In fact one of Chris's mentors from his early days once said that one of his big strengths was his ability to make quite accurate notes on the first pass of his recce. This ability allowed the second pass to be more or less a checking exercise rather than having to adjust or re write notes.

Personally I think Petter's notes are just as complicated. Even though he uses 1-6 ,which I prefer, he has an incredible amount of descriptions for each note. He has admitted himself in the past that he sometimes tries to fit too much in his notes.

Koz
8th April 2007, 06:18
I'm getting Deja vu. Duval????
Me too.

Erki
8th April 2007, 07:03
Colin's one to six refers to gears not corner angle. There is a video around somewhere where he explains his system.

It's corner speed, not the angle or gear. 1 is the slowest, 6 the fastest. ANd yes, there is that video where he explains it. Focus sounds really nice in that vid...

bennizw
8th April 2007, 12:33
I did mean gears and speed, not corner angle, sorry if my choice of words made it look that way :) It can very easily be linked to gear notes, but I guess many times you can take a corner in a higher gear than in the notes.

RJL25
11th April 2007, 11:21
some people in the aussie media are suggesting that its possible glenn was pushed by the SWRT, and some within the team are blaming him for the accident and Atko has just been covering for him by saying it was his fault. I dunno if this is the case or not, Mikkey T is saying its not because of the crash and he is usually right so i dont know what to think..

as far as his replacement goes, word is that nicky grist is at the top of the list of potential co-drivers, and apparently there should be a new co-drive in place before the next SWRT test session, of which chris will be taking the lead of and doing 3 days of testing compared to sohlbergs 2, the concentration being on finding a set-up for the new car which matches atko's driving style, apparently the one they are currently working on feels "horrible" for chris (ie its probably a sohlberg setup)

spyros
11th April 2007, 13:18
It's corner speed, not the angle or gear. 1 is the slowest, 6 the fastest. ANd yes, there is that video where he explains it. Focus sounds really nice in that vid...

anyone have this video?

raybak
11th April 2007, 13:46
The rumour that I have heard is that the new codriver has recent ARC experience not WRC experience. Narrows it down a bit, a few of the candidates lurk on here occasionally.

Ray

Mickey T
11th April 2007, 14:52
well, as of yesterday, Chris himself didn't know who it was going to be, so the rumour mill may just be a bit ahead of itself here.

Doon
11th April 2007, 16:43
The video in question is 'Pedel to metal' it think!

bennizw
11th April 2007, 18:07
I've got it on VHS :D

JM
12th April 2007, 07:11
My bet is someone like Denis Giraudet. Ben Atkinson would probably be a good stand in while a permanent co-driver is found.

The rumour that I have heard is that the new codriver has recent ARC experience not WRC experience. Narrows it down a bit, a few of the candidates lurk on here occasionally.

Ray

Tomi
12th April 2007, 07:35
I think this whole co-driver change is handled quite badly or amateurish, why did they not look for replacement in good time if it was known that the current guy is going to stop, it's not so long time until next event, and if they are going to change the note there is not much time to practise.

bennizw
12th April 2007, 08:42
In case you didn't know, Giraudet is co-driving for Daniel Carlsson in his selected events this year, so no chance of that.

DonJippo
12th April 2007, 11:00
why did they not look for replacement in good time if it was known that the current guy is going to stop

Indeed sounds like it was not planned that well.

Erki
12th April 2007, 11:07
In case you didn't know, Giraudet is co-driving for Daniel Carlsson in his selected events this year, so no chance of that.

I think he also codrives some JRC driver so he's pretty busy.

greencroft
12th April 2007, 14:06
Remember how Derek Ringer was sidelined out of Subaru and replaced with Nicky Grist. It would be interesting to search back on the PR that Subaru put out on that occasion but I seem to remember that Derek "wanted to spend more time with his family" was used then.

Personally, I think Chris A has great potential but maybe arrived in the WRC too soon for his own good. He has subsequently been handicapped by a car that has done him no favours.

MJW
12th April 2007, 19:31
According to Autsport magazine in UK on Thursday 12th April there a 3 candidates for Chris Atkinson's co-driver. The "favouite" is Denis Giraduet because of his recent experiences with Stephane Sarazzin, and also his recent links with SWRT (he was weather crew last year) Maybe Luis Moya, but I understand he left when DR came back.

pentti
12th April 2007, 19:45
I hope it will be Scarlett Johansonn.

A.F.F.
12th April 2007, 21:21
I hope it will be Scarlett Johansonn.

Jeez Pentti. You're old enough to be her husband :D

COD
12th April 2007, 21:24
According to Autsport magazine in UK on Thursday 12th April there a 3 candidates for Chris Atkinson's co-driver. The "favouite" is Denis Giraduet because of his recent experiences with Stephane Sarazzin, and also his recent links with SWRT (he was weather crew last year) Maybe Luis Moya, but I understand he left when DR came back.

Can't really see Luis coming back. Subaru would have to pay A LOT. Also hard to see how Dennis would get out of his current commitments.

Tomi
12th April 2007, 21:40
If subaru desides my guess is Mr. Bean.

TKM
13th April 2007, 02:34
If subaru desides my guess is Mr. Bean.
Would make sense, goes hand in hand with the POS car they keep giving Chris and Petter.

Mickey T
13th April 2007, 08:44
I'm with Pentti on this Scarlett Johansson business.

will talk to chris. i'm sure he will see the wisdom drawn from Pentti's years of experience...

COD
13th April 2007, 10:29
I'm with Pentti on this Scarlett Johansson business.

will talk to chris. i'm sure he will see the wisdom drawn from Pentti's years of experience...

Sure. That would help him concentrate on the job much better than now :D

raybak
13th April 2007, 10:41
Hey Mickey T, loved your centre page spread in the Herald Sun today. You lucky fellow getting to drive the 599.

Ray

markhuebbe
13th April 2007, 14:02
Seppo Harjanne would be my choice.

RJL25
13th April 2007, 14:44
Sure. That would help him concentrate on the job much better than now :D

i dont know about you, but whenever i have got a pretty girl in my car (and sadly i have never had one as pretty as scarlett) i am usually trying to impress her bra clean off! For those reasons i believe chris's driving would improve out of sight! He would be astonishingly quick, he would never leave the road, all of a sudden he'll be trying to buff himself up, he'd have a stylish new haircut... the list goes on!

alleskids
13th April 2007, 20:20
Stephane Prevot will be present this week in the Sardinia for a five days tests with the Subaru, to the side of Chris Atkinson. So Scarlet Johansson wil have to take a back seat on the Impreza WRCar, together with Pentti :) .

L5->R5/CR
13th April 2007, 20:24
Stephane Prevot will be present this week in the Sardinia for a five days tests with the Subaru, to the side of Chris Atkinson. So Scarlet Johansson wil have to take a back seat on the Impreza WRCar, together with Pentti :) .

Seems to me than Pentti would have the best seat in the house if that were the case...

MJW
13th April 2007, 20:27
Plus there are 2 other candidates on the test this weekend....... cant say & wont say other than they are from teh northern hemisphere!

Timole
13th April 2007, 20:38
So i presume those other 2 guys are from finland?

alleskids
13th April 2007, 20:42
Two people from the Northern countries ? Penti with Scarlet on his lap ? Or is Scarlet not from a Northern country ?

Will L
13th April 2007, 20:55
Can't really see Luis coming back. Subaru would have to pay A LOT. Also hard to see how Dennis would get out of his current commitments.

And Denis Giraudet is with Daniel Carlsson anyway isnt he ??? :confused:

COD
13th April 2007, 21:17
And Denis Giraudet is with Daniel Carlsson anyway isnt he ??? :confused:

That's what I meant with current commitments. He is also driving in gr.N with the Cyprus driver whos name has slipped my mind (probably because it is so difficult, ends up with ....poulous I persume :laugh: )

Mickey T
14th April 2007, 01:06
Hey Mickey T, loved your centre page spread in the Herald Sun today. You lucky fellow getting to drive the 599.

Ray

Oh, you know, Ray. Work, work, work.

It never stops...

Drove the Lotus 2 Eleven prototype in Hethel last week, too. that thing's quick...

Will L
14th April 2007, 11:14
That's what I meant with current commitments. He is also driving in gr.N with the Cyprus driver whos name has slipped my mind (probably because it is so difficult, ends up with ....poulous I persume :laugh: )

he must hate his family. .. doing all these jobs

COD
14th April 2007, 22:00

he must hate his family. .. doing all these jobs

How good, away better :laugh:

bennizw
15th April 2007, 09:52
Actually if you read the WRC.com article about this, you'll also see Giraudet is quite surely going to sit beside Norwegian talent Eyvind Brynildsen in his WRC events :p : Has he got any family I ask?

M5
15th April 2007, 14:47
So is Brynildsen ditching Veronica as a co-pilot ?

Maybe someone else will pick her up, she seem quite capable ?

Gard
15th April 2007, 16:30
So is Brynildsen ditching Veronica as a co-pilot ?

Maybe someone else will pick her up, she seem quite capable ?

Brynhildsen is very happy with Veronica. I think the idea is to get some more experience in the car, to speed up devlopment. Both Eivind and Veronica are very young and Eivind has shown very good speed lately. I think it is a wise move. Maybe Veronica could get a seat with an experienced driver too. Pentti, something for you??

raybak
19th April 2007, 09:10
Media Release from Rallysport Mag.

http://www.rallysportmag.com.au/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1274&Itemid=2

It was the accident after all that caused Glenn to quit.

Ray

DonJippo
19th April 2007, 09:16
Did someone really have any other thoughts about the reason?

Tomi
19th April 2007, 09:32
So he would like to continiue co-driving in WRC, but with some other driver :)

Daniel
19th April 2007, 09:33
Did someone really have any other thoughts about the reason?
People on here will believe anything. You know that DJ.

Buzz Lightyear
19th April 2007, 11:03
I think Chris's accident on Portugal has the potential to be absolutley MASSIVE. If the car has started rolling, the car would be in bits, and the potential for injury. I think Glenn has took the wobblies, and is getting out before he has one accident too many.

:)

turves
19th April 2007, 12:48
Its official, Prevot will codrive for Chris.

http://www.crash.net/news_View~cid~4~id~146573.htm

Wim_Impreza
19th April 2007, 13:00

The driver from Cyprus is Spyros Pavlides :)

sal
19th April 2007, 13:11
Stephane Prevot the patron saint of lost causes..

spudrsca
19th April 2007, 14:54
Prevot is only good to slow down drivers.
Sarrazin was not better with Prevot as co-driver.
Duval was not worst with smeets or Pivato as co-driver.

DonJippo
19th April 2007, 15:25
Prevot is only good to slow down drivers.

So we will see the finger again... :dozey:

Tomi
19th April 2007, 15:32
It's difficult to change co-driver in the middle of the season, the best are not available anymore, only leftovers to choose from.

Glee
19th April 2007, 16:31
Stephane Prevot the patron saint of lost causes..

Well, actually that is St. Jude....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Jude

sal
19th April 2007, 16:37
Well, actually that is St. Jude....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Jude

I heard he was sitting alongside Duval

Roy
19th April 2007, 16:55
Its official, Prevot will codrive for Chris.
He must learn the pace notes of Atkinson. And Prevot speaks French-English...
Difficult for the crew in the comming rallies.

Roy
19th April 2007, 16:56
I heard he was sitting alongside Duval

:p

leno
19th April 2007, 17:46
is prevot good co-driver????

A.F.F.
19th April 2007, 18:28
Too bad Kaj Lindström isn't available anymore.

COD
19th April 2007, 20:45

http://www.rallysportmag.com.au/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1274&Itemid=2

Ray

The way I read that news is that the crash was not the reason, just the thing that broke the camels back. If you read between the lines, it seems that their relationship was not good. If the crash had been the reason, he would not consider co-driving again as he would be afraid of crashes, and that's not the case.

Same goes with Prevot. He didn't quit with Duval because of crashes, but because of their relationship. Now did the bad relationship cause the accidents in both cases? Maybe.

And from what I have heard, Prevot is an excellent co-driver. Also really good with english notes.

amberie
19th April 2007, 21:02
The way I read that news is that the crash was not the reason, just the thing that broke the camels back. If you read between the lines, it seems that their relationship was not good. If the crash had been the reason, he would not consider co-driving again as he would be afraid of crashes, and that's not the case.

Same goes with Prevot. He didn't quit with Duval because of crashes, but because of their relationship. Now did the bad relationship cause the accidents in both cases? Maybe.

And from what I have heard, Prevot is an excellent co-driver. Also really good with english notes.

It must have been hard for Glenn to trust Atko at all, with crash after crash. But outside the car, they seem to get along really well. They're both friendly guys. I wonder how Atko's and Stephane's personalities with mesh.

Has Prevot ever done a rally with English pacenotes before? Seems he's only codriven Belgians.

COD
19th April 2007, 21:03
It must have been hard for Glenn to trust Atko at all, with crash after crash. But outside the car, they seem to get along really well. They're both friendly guys. .

Maybe all was not at it seemend. That's how I read the "statement"

Roy
19th April 2007, 21:06
Has Prevot ever done a rally with English pacenotes before? Seems he's only codriven Belgians.

Belgians doesn't exist. In Belgian they speak Dutch in the north and French in the south. Prevot comes from the French part of Belgian (Walonreye).

amberie
19th April 2007, 21:11
Belgians doesn't exist. In Belgian they speak Dutch in the north and French in the south. Prevot comes from the French part of Belgian (Walonreye).

Yes, I know he speaks French--I was just going off of his page at Rallybase: http://www.rallybase.nl/index.php?type=profile&driverid=9

It's just surprising that he doesn't have much experience with reading English pacenotes and he's jumping directly into the role as codriver. Although it would be a bigger problem if the driver were switching languages (ie: Daniel Carlsson and Denis Giraudet).

COD
19th April 2007, 21:35

Probably not in rallies, but from what I have heard, he has tested with his teammates (eg. Märtin, Kankkunen) with english notes. If you can read notes well, it is not a big difference what language they are in

Glee
19th April 2007, 23:55

Petter Solberg could hardly any English when Phill Mills was appointed as his co-driver...

jparker
20th April 2007, 03:00
Petter Solberg could hardly any English when Phill Mills was appointed as his co-driver...

... which btw is a lot more complicated since the driver has to do the translation. Same applies to Carlsson, but not for Atko.

spudrsca
20th April 2007, 06:56

Prevot and Duval relationship was not good because Prevot would have like to say how Duval should drive and didn't like his driving style. Too agressive and sideways to his taste.

And Duval didn't trust anymore the notes of Prevot because Prevot was slowing him down too many times when not needed.
Remember that he was saying cautious cautious many many times.

Brother John
20th April 2007, 10:36
Belgians doesn't exist. ).
:rotflmao: :laugh: :angel: :D

Brother John
20th April 2007, 10:41
Belgians doesn't exist.
:rotflmao: :laugh: :s tareup: :angel: :bandit:

Carlo
20th April 2007, 11:48

Ray

Sounds more like that it was the straw that broke the camels back

RJL25
20th April 2007, 13:42
Sounds too me like the two guys where just not getting along, Glenn clearly believes in atko's talent, but he feels he should be doing a few things differently, Atko thought otherwise, they where sitting on the side of the road for three hours looking at a wrecked car, they had a bit of a deep and meaningful conversation with each other and decided that it was time to go their seperate ways. It's part of life.

justjuli
28th April 2007, 00:26
Looks like Prevot has the seat. And yes, let's hope he does improve, regardless of who is sitting next to him!

We can't be blamed for feeling he has reached his peak & I feel sure this has entered the heads of the powers that be in SWRT as well! I for one am tired of seeing him up high in the results early into a rally only to see him slip 20-30 odd places because of hitting something or going off & if it's not one of those it's mechanical. Seems he just can't win a trick!
I was bitterly disappointed to see him go off in 2006 in Perth - our last WRC event (Hiss Spit!! If I ever see that politician he'd better duck for cover!).

We were hoping to see him put on a show for us but it wasn't to be, yet again. Mind, think I was more disappointed to hear of Gronny's off and can't help wondering if that hadn't occurred, would Loeb have competed in NZ? (Yet another 'fail to finish' by Atto)

Ahh well, at least there was a good effort put in by local boy Dean Herridge in Perth, perhaps the next Aussie to win a WRC drive.

grugsticles
28th April 2007, 10:23
I dont really think they should have been partnered up in the first place.
I can understand why (Glen had WRC experience, Chris needed that), but to me they never even looked like gelling together.
If you look at the Petter/Phil and Marcus/Timo they have a very good relationship. From what I saw of Chris/Glen, it was business only = not ideal at all.
Lets see how Stefan goes :)

jparker
28th April 2007, 16:46
Mind, think I was more disappointed to hear of Gronny's off and can't help wondering if that hadn't occurred, would Loeb have competed in NZ?

That's exactly what has been lingering in my mind for quite some time :)
I guess I'm not alone on that one.

alleskids
28th April 2007, 23:38
SWRT and Atkinson had a three man chooise between Stephane Prevot, Denis Giraudet (he really does not want to be home to many times :) ) and a young Australian navigator weith little experience.

grugsticles
29th April 2007, 07:37
The young Aussie, was that Dale Moskat?

alleskids
29th April 2007, 09:25
They don't mentoning it in the interview with Stephane Prevot. Just that both Giraudet and Prevot have contacted the team and asked for the job. Giraudet was found to be too old, and the unknown Australian to unexperienced.

curry
29th April 2007, 09:27
grugsticles, that's my understanding.

I hear that SWRT had more say over the choice than usual because a certain car was written off in Portugal - something about controlling their investment.

BUT from what I hear Chris had real problems understanding Prevot in the recent test, due to his strong 'English' accent.

ST205GT4
30th April 2007, 00:56
That's not good curry. I hope Chris starts understanding him real fast or his problems are going to multiply.

grugsticles
30th April 2007, 09:50

I hear that SWRT had more say over the choice than usual because a certain car was written off in Portugal - something about controlling their investment.

BUT from what I hear Chris had real problems understanding Prevot in the recent test, due to his strong 'English' accent.

Me being Australian, I think that theres nothing worse than being spokn to by somone with a strong accent, even if their English is very good.
I couldnt imagine how hard it would be to comprehend pacenotes!

As for SWRT taking the 'experienced' option, I dont think that is a good thing at all. If they wanted experience get somone like Robert Reid - someone who I think would be more understandable.

Ive got a feeling that Atkinson will be making a few more off road excursions this year :(

jparker
30th April 2007, 16:55
Me being Australian, I think that theres nothing worse than being spokn to by somone with a strong accent, even if their English is very good.
I couldnt imagine how hard it would be to comprehend pacenotes!

As for SWRT taking the 'experienced' option, I dont think that is a good thing at all. If they wanted experience get somone like Robert Reid - someone who I think would be more understandable.

Ive got a feeling that Atkinson will be making a few more off road excursions this year :(

Well, it's not like Prevot will read the "Harry Poter" book in the car. It's just a limited number of terms. If Atko can't get used to that quick, that means he's kind of slow not only driving. But since you are Australian, I can understand your feelings.

grugsticles
2nd May 2007, 11:13
ROFL @ Harry Potter. Well said!

Mickey T
2nd May 2007, 19:19

Two points:

the car wasn't written off in Portugal. there's actually barely a bent panel on it, but the cooling system damage was too great to continue.

despite a number of offs, chris has yet to write off a car during his Subaru career.

Also, Chris didn't have real problems understanding Prevot. There are one or two terms that he'll have to get used to, but that's it.

TKM
3rd May 2007, 04:03
About time you put them straight Mike. Now if you can just shed some light on the real reason Glenn left.

Mickey T
3rd May 2007, 09:36
i could...

...but that would be a bit crass - and i only know it from one side.

if glenn and chris want to talk about it, then they will.

i know them both and they're both good blokes. and they've both moved on.

i think we should, too.

justjuli
11th May 2007, 07:09
Mmmm...Could Argentina be called an improvement? Let's hope so.

grugsticles
11th May 2007, 08:22
Well, going from the incar footage, Stephan speaks much better english that I did expect. Very clear indeed. Almost like Phill Mills in a way.
As such I no longer have any resivation that Chris will have a problem in the communication steaks.

The two seemed to work quite well together and even of they lost their pace 1/2 way through the rally, at least they finished!

smolvar
8th February 2008, 05:53
Glenn's back this year with Toshi Arai.....What say ye, peanut gallery?