PDA

View Full Version : What about Kimi?

airshifter
24th December 2012, 16:28
Just curious as to the view on Kimi Raikkonen and his return to F1 this year. Though he obviously has a lot of fans there hasn't been that much discussion regarding him this year.

With all the fighting up front, he quietly managed a number of podiums, finished ahead of both McLaren drivers as well as the second Red Bull, and ended the season with more than double the points of his team mate Grosjean.

I'm sure his off track drive around in Brazil will be remembered by many, but overall he didn't make many such bonehead moves.

I think he drove a good season, and quite a good return to the track. Though not in the real fight for the title, he managed to place third without hardly being noticed. What does everyone else have to say?

zako85
25th December 2012, 01:39
Russia's motor.ru placed him in their subjective ranking as the top driver of all motorsports in 2012.

Indeed, Raikkonen was excellent, very much in the same equivalence class with Alonso when it came to performance and consistency. After all, to finish 3rd, ahead of both McLarens and Webber's RBR should mean something. Consider this: After spending two years mowing down trees and falling into ditches on varios WRC tracks, he comes back to F1, and it seems like he does need even a minute to adjust back to new F1 car, new tires, etc. He performed as if did not take a break from F1 at all. He finished EVERY race out of 20, and scored in 19 races out of 20. This is simply phenomenal IMO. Like Alonso, Kimi also showed a great ability to come through the field and usually to improve upon his starting position. The only problem that Kimi was having is that his Lotus was not fast enough in qualifying. If his Lotus was a tad better in qualifying, I think we could have seen him win 3-4 times this year.

I hope the Lotus will deliver a good car next year, and the show will continue to be good. Indeed, Lotus secured new sponsors, so they certainly have a budget now to build an excellent car.

Robinho
25th December 2012, 02:39
His qually pace was a bit lacking early on, but in the races I think he has been pretty much the equal of anyone this year, the lotus was a great race car over long stints and it complemented Kimi brilliantly. I was chuffed for him to get the win as well, he certainly deserved to be considered

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Koz
26th December 2012, 08:25
Kimi...

Perhaps he had the best car in the first half of the season, but clearly he a little was rusty, more so in qualifying than in races. And while that hurt him, his consistency and experience proved that he is still one of the best.
After Spa - when they were still in the running for the WDC, Lotus wasn't able to develop as well as the others.

I have to say he was near equal to Alonso this year.

I'll also add, Lotus pitstops seemed very slow to me compared to the other top teams. Sometimes more than a second slower than McLaren, this is something they really need to work on for next year.

Tazio
26th December 2012, 10:01
Kimi had a superb year, finished 3rd 74 points out of first in the WDC. He finished ahead of three out of four drivers of his highly rated former employers. What else needs to be said about a guy who did it while shaking off a little rust along the way?

zako85
26th December 2012, 10:21
Returning to F1 after a two year break is supposed to be difficult. The history of F1 has a lot of good drivers who had difficulties with adjusting after a lengthy break. In the light of this, to see Kimi qualifying and finishing in the top 10 and taking the fight to the top teams pretty much from the beginning of season, and then outscore both McLarens in WDC was very impressive.

Natalie.S
27th December 2012, 00:21
Bit rusty at the start of the season but really together with Alonso and Vettel in a class of their own.
I look very much forward to next season and hope the Lotus is competitive from the get go

TMorel
27th December 2012, 10:52
I still don't think that Brazil's trip down the side road was a bonehead move, if anything I was impressed that in that split second he remembered that the last time he raced there, the gate had been open and so he could have cut back onto the track. Sure, this time it had been blocked off, but that awareness I consider a good thing.

Am still gutted you got him back for your roundy roundy racing, I think he has something more to offer the WRC, and typical bad timing, for 2013 I think the WRC finally had something to offer him.

wedge
27th December 2012, 21:51
Kimi is most definitely 2012 Man of the Year.

I'm a huge admirer of Kimi so in terms of perception he has definitely come of age as previously he was a Marmite driver.

http://autoracesponsor.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Sepang-Sundae.jpg

oe73fex_E1Q

In case you haven't seen it yet search for "Kimi kidnapped" on YT...

Big Ben
28th December 2012, 07:11
This is a boring thread.... I agree with everything said so far :p : Go KIMI! http://www.pic4ever.com/images/2gwb921.gif

Tazio
28th December 2012, 15:32
I still don't think that Brazil's trip down the side road was a bonehead move,Well that little "trip downtown" was funny as **** at the time I and would have loved to have heard what he was mumbling over the radio at that moment. :rotflmao:

keysersoze
28th December 2012, 16:45
I was largely wrong about Kimi's comeback, thinking he and Grosjean would be about even in points, and that the Frenchman would eventually be the quicker of the two. I still think RG has the goods, but Kimi's racecraft and ability to get more out of the car over the course of the season suggest that Kimi will outscore Romain again by a healthy margin.

jas123f1
28th December 2012, 22:21
Kimi is a very good racing driver and a bit a special guy - who likes all motorsports but not so much to be a part of all the advertising around the sport - same time gives this his character him many fans. I would like to see him fighting of the title next year, because he's absolutely worth it.. imo

Mintexmemory
28th December 2012, 23:20
I still don't think that Brazil's trip down the side road was a bonehead move, if anything I was impressed that in that split second he remembered that the last time he raced there, the gate had been open and so he could have cut back onto the track. Sure, this time it had been blocked off, but that awareness I consider a good thing.

Am still gutted you got him back for your roundy roundy racing, I think he has something more to offer the WRC, and typical bad timing, for 2013 I think the WRC finally had something to offer him.

As another rally nut can I demur from the above - glad youve got the self-absorbed egomaniac back and hope that some real sportsmen get the chance in WRC without him muddying the water. He brought nothing to WRC and certainly left nothing behind

airshifter
29th December 2012, 06:38
As another rally nut can I demur from the above - glad youve got the self-absorbed egomaniac back and hope that some real sportsmen get the chance in WRC without him muddying the water. He brought nothing to WRC and certainly left nothing behind

And as an F1 fan, we're more than glad to have him back. 10 years in F1 and five of those in the top three in points, including one WDC. Top step in lesser series before that as well.

And since the rally crowd is weighing in, who over the years has done very well at both forms of racing? Not intended to start a war, but I don't follow much WRC, so a serious question.

janneppi
29th December 2012, 08:11
The rally talebans are as bad as F1 snobs. You're not allowed to be a rich journeyman driver doing what you like. If you don't drive around for years in smaller series and then win rallies and championships you're killing the sport and told to go away. ;)

ShiftingGears
29th December 2012, 08:49
Kimi was excellent this year. Drove like he never left, and was certainly better than 2009. I will say he was at times flattered by Grosjean's inability to avoid trouble, though. Regardless, an outstanding year. I hope he can win the WDC again.

Prisoner Monkeys
29th December 2012, 23:51
He brought nothing to WRC and certainly left nothing behind
I'm no Raikkonen fan - I find him to be singularly unpleasant, and I don't understand why people think his blunt and oftentimes downright rude manner (like the "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing!" radio call in Abu Dhabi) is applauded by fans who think he is funny or clever because of it - but at least he gave the WRC a shot. And even if it came to nothing, he still did bring some attention to the category at a time when no-one could hold a candle to Loeb.

rjbetty
3rd January 2013, 03:51
I'm no Raikkonen fan - I find him to be singularly unpleasant, and I don't understand why people think his blunt and oftentimes downright rude manner (like the "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing!" radio call in Abu Dhabi) is applauded by fans who think he is funny or clever because of it - but at least he gave the WRC a shot. And even if it came to nothing, he still did bring some attention to the category at a time when no-one could hold a candle to Loeb.

:up:

Yup. I haven't been the keenest on Kimi but I really respect what he's done this year. I think you're the first person I've seen who said his radio message was rude - that's cool cos I agree actually. :)

Prisoner Monkeys
3rd January 2013, 06:13
I can understand that a driver might speak in anger sometimes and be unintentionally rude - for all we know, the call came in when Raikkonen was preoccupied with something else and didn't need the intrusion - but it's not like this is an isolated incident. Raikkonen just strikes me as a singularly unlikeable person, and I don't understand why people find his standoffish and brusque personality to be to endearing. It's like my students proudly announcing that they are cynics; cynicism is nothing to be proud of.

AndyL
3rd January 2013, 11:04
I can understand that a driver might speak in anger sometimes and be unintentionally rude - for all we know, the call came in when Raikkonen was preoccupied with something else and didn't need the intrusion - but it's not like this is an isolated incident. Raikkonen just strikes me as a singularly unlikeable person, and I don't understand why people find his standoffish and brusque personality to be to endearing. It's like my students proudly announcing that they are cynics; cynicism is nothing to be proud of.

If you walked around the Formula 1 paddock with a lamp, how long would it be before its light fell on an honest man?
I think what people like in Kimi is the lack of a cultivated PR facade. He says what he wants to say; not what people want to hear, nor what media gurus have trained him to say. Most other drivers sound the same in interviews because they have all been schooled from the same PR textbook. Kimi has not read it.

I suspect there may be a cultural element to it too. The Finns are known for not wasting words. What you see as rudeness, they might see simply as conciseness. Similar to how Germans sometimes come across as brusque or rude if they're not accustomed to Anglophone culture: it's not rudeness, just that they use language differently.

CNR
3rd January 2013, 11:04
without forgetting that has set a new record of successive arrivals at the finish line, ben 20 Gp — all races of the Championship. www.f1passion.it/2013/01/f1-leave-me-alone-i-know-what-im-doing/ - Translator (http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.f1passion.it%2F2013%2F01%2Ff1-leave-me-alone-i-know-what-im-doing%2F)

Koz
3rd January 2013, 11:55
Whose place did he steal exactly? And whom did his WRC excursion hurt?

He did what he felt like doing ( having fun and keeping the Ferrari money), so he did it. It didn't work out and he moved on.
If you want to whine, please whine about the other no hopers who have been there for years and years and achieved absolutely 0.
Mr Slowson and quissimi come to mind. At least Kimi brought some attention.

wedge
4th January 2013, 15:09

The simple truth of the matter is that most drivers don't like being pestered unless they're in a boring race.

jens
12th January 2013, 17:27
Kimi was excellent this year. Drove like he never left, and was certainly better than 2009. I will say he was at times flattered by Grosjean's inability to avoid trouble, though. Regardless, an outstanding year. I hope he can win the WDC again.

To be honest, I am not sure Kimi was better than in 2009. If anything, those seasons felt a bit similar to me. Very strong second half of the season with a good run of form and results. But not completely on top of his game in the first half of the season. Understandable in 2012, considering the break.

We will see about 2013. I am yet to be convinced that Lotus has the depth in the team to really take on the development of top teams over a full season. But it would be good for the sport if they managed it.

steveaki13
13th January 2013, 11:43
To be honest, I am not sure Kimi was better than in 2009. If anything, those seasons felt a bit similar to me. Very strong second half of the season with a good run of form and results. But not completely on top of his game in the first half of the season. Understandable in 2012, considering the break.

We will see about 2013. I am yet to be convinced that Lotus has the depth in the team to really take on the development of top teams over a full season. But it would be good for the sport if they managed it.

I am not sure I 100% agree.

I thought Kimi was a bit wayward in 2009, but I felt considering the break he was in fine form last season.

Of course the seasons of 2003,2004,2005,2007 were his best I would have thought. For pure pace him & Mclaren were awesome in 2005. He drove brilliantly at times in 2004 in a poor Mclaren Car and 2003 was only his second season at Mclaren and he was unlucky with the weather not to win the championship that year.

I hope that 2013 will see Kimi back at his absolute best. Something to be excited about

wedge
13th January 2013, 15:11
I am not sure I 100% agree.

In 2008/2009 Kimi qualified poorly but was a strong racer, similarly last year his qualifying let him down but was excellent in race trim.

His relationship in Ferrari went downhill and was never happy with car development at helping/suiting Massa.

jens
13th January 2013, 17:39
In 2008/2009 Kimi qualified poorly but was a strong racer, similarly last year his qualifying let him down but was excellent in race trim.

His relationship in Ferrari went downhill and was never happy with car development at helping/suiting Massa.

In 2008 Kimi was struggling in quali, 2009 was more or less fine as he was roughly equal with Massa in qualis.

2012 in many ways reminded 2008/09 in terms of Kimi's qualifying and race pace, but the difference is that in 2012 the races were much more unpredictable and it has been easier to overtake, so Kimi has managed to overcome any qualifying deficits more easily in 2012, hence better results.

So as we see - the results of drivers are dependent on many factors, several of them outside drivers' control, like sporting and technical regulations and how much do they suit each driver's strengths and weaknesses.

Garry Walker
31st January 2013, 13:20
Kimi was one a top three driver last year, the only one with Alonso and Hamilton who really deserve praise for their efforts.

zako85
1st February 2013, 03:09
I think Raikonnen's car was to also blame for not delivering best results in qualifications. There were indications through the season that the car's straight line place wasn't very good.

I also do not agree with the theory that Raikonnen has done well because the season was "too random" or because of tire lottery. It appears that Kimi (and his team) spent very little time on figuring out how to use the tires, and that is a great skill. I still marvel at how fast Kimi adjusted to the new car, tires, etc after two years of absence.

Wolfie
6th February 2013, 23:09
The media did hurt his PR-image starting from 2008, that's when he was sort of written out of Ferrari and F1, in the media.

Lopez listened to people who bought all that was said about Kimi and he thought he made a smart move when getting a contract with Kimi where he didn't have to pay much. They had thought out that if they promise bonuses to Kimi if he scores over 100 points, then they wouldn't have to pay any bonuses, since Lopez said in an interview that he was told that Kimi would be this bla bla bla who is unmotivated and has lost his skill etc.

Kimi scored over 200 points and Grosjean could have stayed home every race and still Lotus would have been 4th in WCC-standings.

So in a way all the bashing in the media worked for Kimi, not so well for Lotus though ;)

It was great to see him back on the track again!

DexDexter
7th February 2013, 17:49
Just read from a Finnish newspaper that Kimi and his wife have separated. How that affects his performance remains to be seen...

Tazio
7th February 2013, 18:29
I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that it will not hinder him at all. In fact I don't think it will make one iota of difference. :dozey:

Tazio
7th February 2013, 21:48
Just read from a Finnish newspaper that Kimi and his wife have separated. How that affects his performance remains to be seen...Upon further consideration it's Important to focus on the tabloid aspect of the sport. I hear Lotus is expecting a substantial improvement from Rogro now that he has come out of the closet and admitted he has a homosexual lover. ;)

Koz
8th February 2013, 03:44
Just read from a Finnish newspaper that Kimi and his wife have separated. How that affects his performance remains to be seen...

This will probably have a greater effect on Mia than Kimi.

Honey, I feel so distant. We barely talk anymore. I know we've both been very busy in our careers. I don't even know when you'll be gone or when you'll be back. Do you even miss me? I'm getting older, so are you. I'm thinking of kids, I want to have a more stable life. You don't participate on nothing of my life anymore. I miss you. Where have you been?

I was taking a shit.

Shamelessly and tastelessly stolen from here. (http://jalopnik.com/5982523/are-kimi-raikkonen-and-his-wife-separatingta)

Koz
8th February 2013, 03:49
Upon further consideration it's Important to focus on the tabloid aspect of the sport. I hear Lotus is expecting a substantial improvement from Rogro now that he has come out of the closet and admitted he has a homosexual lover. ;)

Yes, and the pregnancy news was all a lie to protect his lover, David Beckham, from Posh's wrath??

Tazio
8th February 2013, 04:28
Well put Koz, you guys know I'm just having a little sport. Beckham you say? :s ailor: :love:

What about Kimi? I'll just say I'm damn glad he is back in F1. Here is a pic I took of him going into turn 15 at the Circuit of the Americas. Someday I may get around to cropping these pics I took at the race but I don't know when if at all.

http://i.imgur.com/dtTl642.jpg

Mia 01
8th February 2013, 09:10
Nice to see you here Wolfie!!

I´m very much looking forward to the season hoping that Kimi will do well.

Kimi and Jennis separation, it was in the cards for a long time sadly. Here´s hope that they find there way back to each other.

henners88
8th February 2013, 14:40
The media did hurt his PR-image starting from 2008, that's when he was sort of written out of Ferrari and F1, in the media.

Lopez listened to people who bought all that was said about Kimi and he thought he made a smart move when getting a contract with Kimi where he didn't have to pay much. They had thought out that if they promise bonuses to Kimi if he scores over 100 points, then they wouldn't have to pay any bonuses, since Lopez said in an interview that he was told that Kimi would be this bla bla bla who is unmotivated and has lost his skill etc.

Kimi scored over 200 points and Grosjean could have stayed home every race and still Lotus would have been 4th in WCC-standings.

So in a way all the bashing in the media worked for Kimi, not so well for Lotus though ;)

It was great to see him back on the track again!
Nice to see you made it back Wolfie ;) :)