PDA

View Full Version : ITV to become ITV... or is that UTV?

Rollo
19th December 2012, 05:23
ITV1 to become ITV in channel rebrand - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/9682449/ITV1-to-become-ITV-in-channel-rebrand.html)
The channel's largest on-screen rebrand for more than a decade will drop the '1' from ITV1 and introduce a curvy ITV logo across all its channels that will change colour to suit particular programmes.
ITV's new logo, which is designed to mimic handwriting, will draw out colours from particular programme trails. It could, for example, become become green and purple alongside Dancing on Ice. On I'm a Celebrity, currently featuring Nadine Dorries MP, the logo could be browns and greens to mirror the jungle.
- The Telegraph, 16th Nov 2012

http://i2.cdnds.net/12/46/618x344/itv-pressrelease-screen-rgbfinal151112_1.jpg

OK, so it hasn't happened yet and perhaps it's not quite as daft as when ITV tried to integrate the regions into their idents in the late 80s but this in my opinion looks like Ulster Television has taken over. As far as on screen branding goes, the current set of logos across ITVs 1-4 looks perfectly fine.

As a kid I may have thought that the Yorkshire Television logo was going to fall out of the sky and kill us all, and the Central Television logo which they called the "cake" may as well have been an advert for a football but the new ITV logo doesn't work at all. I wouldn't go quite as far as Twitter when users suggested what they thought it looked like but I still think it looks damn daft.

SGWilko
19th December 2012, 09:15
They've got spend that advertising income on something, and it sure isn't quality programming! ;)

Mark
19th December 2012, 09:38
You need to change logos from time to time to keep up to date so complaints about "the old ones were fine" is a bit daft IMO.

What I don't really get is the change from ITV1 to ITV. They've pushed that for a long time now and it's quite familiar, so it's daft to change the actual name.

Mark
19th December 2012, 09:39
They've got spend that advertising income on something, and it sure isn't quality programming! ;)

I was watching Back to the Future 2 on ITV at the weekend and it occured to me just how infrequently I watch this channel.

Dave B
19th December 2012, 10:09
Polishing a turd leaps to mind.

Besides the occasional bit if touring car coverage on ITV4, I cannot think of a single programme I've watched this year on any of their channels. It's all cynically rigged reality, knackered old soaps, and superficial human interest documentaries. Even the occasional decent film is butchered beyond belief with editing for content and timing, before you even get to the incessant ad breaks.

SGWilko
19th December 2012, 10:30

Besides the occasional bit if touring car coverage on ITV4, I cannot think of a single programme I've watched this year on any of their channels. It's all cynically rigged reality, knackered old soaps, and superficial human interest documentaries. Even the occasional decent film is butchered beyond belief with editing for content and timing, before you even get to the incessant ad breaks.

Downton Abbey is good.........

Mark
19th December 2012, 11:00
And completely unlike ITV really. It's at odds with the rest of their output.

Rollo
19th December 2012, 12:06
You need to change logos from time to time to keep up to date so complaints about "the old ones were fine" is a bit daft IMO.

Do you?

Thames Television pretty well much had the same logo and "Salute to Thames" fanfare from 1968 to 1989. Keep a logo long enough and it becomes part of the cultural furniture. The BBC's corporate 3 box thingumabob although is currently in its 5th iteration, is pretty well much the same concept as 1955.

Mark
19th December 2012, 12:13
Do you?

Thames Television pretty well much had the same logo and "Salute to Thames" fanfare from 1968 to 1989.

And it looked like crap.

[quoteKeep a logo long enough and it becomes part of the cultural furniture. The BBC's corporate 3 box thingumabob although is currently in its 5th iteration, is pretty well much the same concept as 1955.[/QUOTE]

Sure, but I don't think ITV falls into that category.

SGWilko
19th December 2012, 12:16
Do you?

Thames Television pretty well much had the same logo and "Salute to Thames" fanfare from 1968 to 1989. Keep a logo long enough and it becomes part of the cultural furniture. The BBC's corporate 3 box thingumabob although is currently in its 5th iteration, is pretty well much the same concept as 1955.

Ooohhh, I ave that on my DVD collection of Minder! :)

Dave B
19th December 2012, 14:48
Thames Television pretty well much had the same logo and "Salute to Thames" fanfare from 1968 to 1989.
They should have kept the Kenny Everett version :p

SGWilko
19th December 2012, 15:39
They should have kept the Kenny Everett version :p

But all done in the beeeeeeeeest poooooooooooosible taste! ;)

inimitablestoo
19th December 2012, 19:05
Anyone remember that brief period, when ITV2 was still ITV Digital, that they tried to get everyone to start referring to the main channel as ITV3? Very confusing... :s :

Mark
19th December 2012, 19:43
No not at all. However I do remember them trying to rebrand as 'Channel 3'. Indeed for a while Tyne Tees was branded as 'Channel 3 North East'.

SGWilko
19th December 2012, 19:46
I had an ITV Digital box, until SKY arranged for the ITV viewing card codes to be leaked online.....

Mark
19th December 2012, 20:37
Yes. Very shady that was indeed.

However. ITV digitals failure was a very good thing for the UK viewer.

Rollo
19th December 2012, 22:43
No not at all. However I do remember them trying to rebrand as 'Channel 3'. Indeed for a while Tyne Tees was branded as 'Channel 3 North East'.

What's weird about that, is that I'm sure that Tyne Tees was being transmitted on what was effectively Channel 8 and Granada over in the west was transmitted on Channel 9.
Tyne Tees also had for a while, an ident where the logo was made from wee... I think it was wee... it was dribbly water at any rate.

BDunnell
19th December 2012, 23:12
I don't care about this at all, given how little ITV — save for the odd bit of sport not available elsewhere, and some of ITV3's detective show repeats — intrudes upon my life. It may as well not exist as far as I'm concerned.

Iain
20th December 2012, 01:05
It's a waste of space on the EPG. And I include STV (our ITV) in that. I only watch the local news and that's all. Even their other three ITV channels aren't that good, with the exception of the sport on ITV4. Like Dave said, you get the odd good film, but they get butchered to pieces.

Bezza
20th December 2012, 14:36
Interesting that the logo will "change colour".

That means most of the time it will be brown, as almost everything on ITV is turd.

wedge
21st December 2012, 15:21

Champions League footie.

There was a good documentary on solicitors - the ones that so happen to be a half mile radius to the nearest cop shop and attract an certain clientèle.

Downton Abbey is good.........

If I was a mod I would have banned you for half an F1 season for that.

SGWilko
21st December 2012, 15:53
If I was a mod I would have banned you for half an F1 season for that.

At least there'd be a reason for that ban - rather than; None Specified........

Mark
21st December 2012, 19:28
Told you it was an accident! :p

Dave B
9th January 2013, 22:11
We watched a bit of Splash last week, as big diving fans. What a shower of unmitigated awfulness. Vernon Kay has the charisma of a floorboard, the celebrities were utter nonentities, the format was stretched and laboured to beyond breaking point, there were more adverts than is medically safe (I now want to raze every sofa warehouse to the ground like the 2011 riots were just a warm-up), and the fabricated jeopardy was simply laughable. If that's ITV's idea of a primetime show then lord help them.

inimitablestoo
10th January 2013, 19:03
Splash is basically ITV's answer to Bring on the Wall, but without the wall. And as Radcliffe and Maconie pointed out the other day, they missed a trick in not calling it Come Dive with Me.

Dave B
10th January 2013, 19:13
I can't attribute the quote, but I heard somebody suggest that they drain the pool and rename it "Spat" :D

steveaki13
17th January 2013, 21:29
I like a few others have mentioned have not watched any programme they have produced, besides Football & BTCC. All other programming is s***

As for splash, I heard from a friend that the programme he watched was an hour and a half and had only 5 or 6 dives? If thats true there must have been some filler in there. lol

SGWilko
17th January 2013, 21:32
I like a few others have mentioned have not watched any programme they have produced, besides Football & BTCC. All other programming is s***

As for splash, I heard from a friend that the programme he watched was an hour and a half and had only 5 or 6 dives? If thats true there must have been some filler in there. lol

More filler than in your average Wimpey home, and that's saying something!

Mark
18th January 2013, 09:23
Or Wimpy burger and that's saying something!