PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Barrichello to Brazilian Stock Cars

zako85
11th December 2012, 11:26
I just saw a Russian language article about a rumor that Rubens may be switching to Brazilian stock cars for 2013. Apparently, he does not have enough sponsorship money for a full year at IndyCar. If this is true, it's quite sad that someone like Rubens Barrichello needs sponsors to have an IndyCar seat.

indycool
11th December 2012, 18:47
I read the story someplace else and the indication was that he was just going to run Brazilian stock cars over the winter. I think he has a ride in Indycars for '13.

anthonyvop
11th December 2012, 19:42
Ain't a rumor. It is a done deal

Will this be another wake up call out of a long line of wake up calls that the "Press" will ignore and the fans live in denial of?

Starter
11th December 2012, 21:52
Ain't a rumor. It is a done deal

Will this be another wake up call out of a long line of wake up calls that the "Press" will ignore and the fans live in denial of?
Given that Brazil is in the southern hemisphere and would therefor allow two seasons of racing each year if RB chose to do so, have you heard for certain that it's not as indycool says in the post just above yours?

Alfa Fan
11th December 2012, 23:30
Just because they are in the Southern Hemisphere, does not mean their season is run October-March. This year the first round was in March and the finale this weekend just passed.

Nem14
11th December 2012, 23:44
AutoRacing1.com - Hot News Page (http://autoracing1.com/hotnews.asp?tid=62563)

GRW1983
11th December 2012, 23:44
It's not a rumour, it's now fact. Rubens will drive Brazilian Stock-Car full-time in 2013, with some F1 commentary for Brazilian TV. In terms of scheduling, he could run the Sao Paulo IndyCar race, as he'd be free that weekend, but Indy 500 qualifying clashes with his Stock-Car commitments, so Indy 500 is doubtful. Hopefully, he can run at Sao Paulo in early May.

fishinjim
12th December 2012, 18:12
It's a shame the way this guy has been screwed over. I wish him the best.

Nem14
13th December 2012, 00:14
How do you figure Rubens has been screwed over?

He had an 18 year career in F1, and has more starts (322) than any other F1 driver ever.

On May 23, 2013 he will be 41 years old, and car racing is a young mans game.

Today he should be worth $$,$$$,$$$ and need never work again.

zako85
13th December 2012, 00:38

Today he should be worth $$,$$$,$$$ and need never work again.

Clearly, he continues racing simply for the fun of it. I believe when Honda pulled out F1 in 2009, he was going to be left without a seat. He then agreed to race with the successor team in 2009, Brawn GP, simply for the cost of the fuel for his jet plane, and man that was a good decision! He would probably continue racing in IndyCar without much compensation if there was a good seat for him. I hope he will see him at least in Interlagos. Hopefully, there will be a sponsor in Brazil willing to fund a car for him.

Rubens is certainly old, but I believe he is still better than an average IndyCar driver. I was hoping his results would improve in 2013 as he gains experience in IndyCar. It was a good to see him in IndyCar. He had many fans in F1. I assume that some followed him in IndyCar. I wish he succeeded so more drivers would follow him. F1, with only 22 cars on the grid often ends up rejecting very good drivers, but very few end up in IndyCar. I am thinking of the likes of Kamui Kobayashi, Jaime Algesuari, Sebastien Buemi, Nik Heidfeld, etc.

00steven
13th December 2012, 04:53
Says a lot about the series...

FIAT1
13th December 2012, 12:21
Says a lot about the series...

Yep!

bricarr2
13th December 2012, 14:18
Its certainly disappointing Rubens couldn't put a deal together for 2013. Still, I don't think its as big a deal as some are making it. For example, I'd much rather see Conor Daly get a ride than Rubens. IndyCar needs to start developing young stars, and Rubens was at best a guy that was going to be around 2-3 years.

FIAT1
13th December 2012, 15:53
Its certainly disappointing Rubens couldn't put a deal together for 2013. Still, I don't think its as big a deal as some are making it. For example, I'd much rather see Conor Daly get a ride than Rubens. IndyCar needs to start developing young stars, and Rubens was at best a guy that was going to be around 2-3 years.

Agree with you on Conor Daly and developing young stars.

Starter
13th December 2012, 16:58
Perhaps you could explain that concept to Mario, Roberto Marino and Fangio. :p

Nem14
13th December 2012, 17:50
Do you mean 'Super Sub' Roberto Moreno?

There are always exceptions, but not all that many.

Note how old the current 3 time World Champion is, and the average age of the current flock of F1 drivers.

Mario was 38 when he won the F1 World Championship, and 44 when he won Champ Car in 1984.

What Fangio accomplished had a lot to do with being able to take advantage of his reputation and pick the right team at the right time.

The bottom line is Reuben's has had a long and productive career, but it is now winding down.

Starter
13th December 2012, 22:07
The bottom line is Reuben's has had a long and productive career, but it is now winding down.
Sorry about the spelling, it didn't look right to me, but didn't have time to check.

Yes, I agree with the above statement. However, since I'm something pretty north of thirty myself, I couldn't let the "youth" comment go unremarked. ;)

SoCalPVguy
14th December 2012, 02:30
Reubens we hardly knew ye.

Jeeeze Brazilian stock cars more prestigious than indy car ? a Brazilian wax maybe; but who'd have thunk south American stock cars would be a better gig ?

Starter
14th December 2012, 02:43

Jeeeze Brazilian stock cars more prestigious than indy car ? a Brazilian wax maybe; but who'd have thunk south American stock cars would be a better gig ?
A gig where YOU get paid is almost always better than a gig where you pay.

zako85
14th December 2012, 07:16

Rubens shouldn't have issues obtaining Brazilian sponsors to race in local stock cars or F1 (F1 is immensely popular in Brazil). I think the logical conclusion is that IndyCar is not that popular in Brazil, despite having a history of many Brazilian IndyCar drivers.

FIAT1
14th December 2012, 12:23
Agree with you on Conor Daly and developing young stars.

Good start

INDYCAR: Conor Daly Strong On Debut For Foyt (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-conor-daly-strong-on-debut-for-foyt/)

bricarr2
14th December 2012, 13:16
I like Rubens but he's so last year.

Lets add Vautier (who's real good) and Daly to a mix of G Rahal, Simona, Hildebrand, Hinch, Marco, RHR, Kimball, Newgarden, and Pagenaud. I guess RHR is 31, but still relatively young, and in the prime of his career.

Thats a real good core of young drivers to build around.

Nikki Katz
27th December 2012, 14:43
Confirmed now, predictable but still disappointing. You have to wonder if Rubens can't find enough sponsorship then who can?

nigelred5
28th December 2012, 20:13
Personally I'm disappointed to see him leave Indycars. I'm glad he has a paying retirement ride close to home where he can enjoy life with his family. Hopefully that means there is an open ride to be had in Indycar somewhere, but seeing that he was bringing the sponsorship for the third car with KV last year, that paying ride has essentially been taken by Simona and KV is most probably down to two cars, and HVM is likely out of the series this year, I see that as far from guaranteed.