PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here know if you can hook up an HDMI Blu-ray player to a non HDMI HDTV?

Jag_Warrior
8th December 2012, 20:12
Is there some sort of conversion kit for hooking up a Blu-ray and surround sound system that has HDMI to an older set that doesn't have HDMI? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark
8th December 2012, 20:17
It doesn't have SCART plugs? Most unusual. If not then not really without expensive converters cheaper to get a new set, DVD player or BluRay with a SCART plug.

airshifter
8th December 2012, 20:56
What inputs does the TV have?

Do you have any outputs from the audio that will work? Many units have both analog and digital output so you can pass through them.

Jag_Warrior
8th December 2012, 21:39
SCART? Uh... Uh... I... Uh... Huh?

The old set is an early Samsung HD 1080i (I think I got it in 2001-02 or so) and the only outputs and inputs I see are coaxials, S-video out and standard A/V inputs and outputs like on the old stereo systems.

The set works fine, no more than I watch TV in the living room. I have a newer HD set in the bedroom with all the newer inputs and outputs (HDMI, USB, PC, Digital Audio, etc.) but the system I got is too much for that room. When I bought the Blu-ray/surround sound system, I just never thought about the TV having completely obsolete connections.

So I'm pretty much screwed and have to get a new set?

Starter
9th December 2012, 02:41
SCART? Uh... Uh... I... Uh... Huh?

The old set is an early Samsung HD 1080i (I think I got it in 2001-02 or so) and the only outputs and inputs I see are coaxials, S-video out and standard A/V inputs and outputs like on the old stereo systems.

The set works fine, no more than I watch TV in the living room. I have a newer HD set in the bedroom with all the newer inputs and outputs (HDMI, USB, PC, Digital Audio, etc.) but the system I got is too much for that room. When I bought the Blu-ray/surround sound system, I just never thought about the TV having completely obsolete connections.

So I'm pretty much screwed and have to get a new set?
If the old TV is HD, it should work fine. It should even work if the old TV is standard def. Most blu ray players are made so they will also play standard CDs - you just don't get the hiigh definition part.

What connections are on the back? Standard coax? S video? The three cable type - red, white and yellow plugs?

Jag_Warrior
9th December 2012, 04:03
On the back of the old set I have coax, S-video out and standard A/V inputs and outputs. I began getting kind of depressed at how things were looking so I called Worst Buy and the sales rep said I was basically SOL... unless I found some kind of Chinese made adapter off Ebay (or where ever) that may or may not work. Really bummed right now. I got a good deal on the Blu-ray/surround system but I never even considered what my input/output situation was on the old TV set. D@mn modern technology!

BleAivano
9th December 2012, 11:12
Jag_Warrior, what brand/models are the tv and BR-player? or could you try to take a picture of the backside of both?

Dave B
9th December 2012, 11:56
If your Blu-Ray doesn't have analogue output (SCART, Component etc), which a lot of them don't for copy protection reasons, then you're stuffed without a converter. HDMI and SCART are totally different systems so there's no such thing as an adaptor or cable without active components in it - but honestly there's nothing to gain by going down that route.

You should find plenty of cheap TVs in the sales after xmas :p

Mark
9th December 2012, 13:08
TV without SCART? Not since the 80's!

schmenke
9th December 2012, 18:09
Jag, google "hdmi to component conversion" and you should find what you're looking for :)

Jag_Warrior
9th December 2012, 19:30
Jag_Warrior, what brand/models are the tv and BR-player? or could you try to take a picture of the backside of both?

The TV is an old Samsung (1st gen HD?) rear projection 1080i set from probably 2000 or so. The Blu-ray & surround sound is a Panasonic SC-BTT490.

If your Blu-Ray doesn't have analogue output (SCART, Component etc), which a lot of them don't for copy protection reasons, then you're stuffed without a converter. HDMI and SCART are totally different systems so there's no such thing as an adaptor or cable without active components in it - but honestly there's nothing to gain by going down that route.

You should find plenty of cheap TVs in the sales after xmas :p

Since the set is so old anyway, I'm kind of leaning in that direction. But I just had a color convergence chip put in it about six months ago, so I was hoping to make it last another year or so. Oh well... :( I just like to keep things until they break down completely: TV's, computers, cell phones, cars... girlfriends. :D

TV without SCART? Not since the 80's!

It may. I just don't know what SCART is. If that refers to the standard A/V inputs and outputs, then I have those.

Jag, google "hdmi to component conversion" and you should find what you're looking for :)

Thanks! Funny thing is, when I just did that, a converter came up from Best Buy... and I called them yesterday and the kid claimed that he didn't know anything about them! :mad: But the issue that I see is that several of them are going from $150 to over $300. Plus, I'm not sure what I need exactly, so it's looking like this TV may get donated to a local church for their rec/study room and I guess I'll just buy a new TV.

Mark
9th December 2012, 20:05
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/SCART_20050724_002.jpg SCART plug.

Dave B
9th December 2012, 21:52
TV without SCART, you say? Yes, there are a few on the market now and they're only going to get more commonplace. Hideously bad design, both electronically and physically, which deserves to die.

Jag_Warrior
10th December 2012, 02:06
Well, at least there is a reason why I'm unfamiliar with SCART and have never seen a connector like Mark pictured: we don't have that connection here in the U.S. From what I just read, SCART is a European connection standard and it's never really been used here.

I just swung by Walmart and I have to admit that even the cheapo HDTVs in there had better pictures than I have now. So I guess... Darn it! :mad:

CaptainRaiden
10th December 2012, 10:12
You could take a look at these HDMI to AV converters - HDMI A/V Cables | Overstock.com: Buy A/V Accessories Online (http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/A-V-Cables/HDMI,/type,/12936/subcat.html)

Although never having used one, I doubt it works because you'd still need some sort of a converter. Most Blu-Ray players were designed keeping modern TVs in mind, so not much backwards compatibility. Besides, because of the size of a Blu-Ray movie, you get best results from an HDMI cable, because nothing else is fast enough or broad enough. Your 12 year old TV is designed to work with the older DVD players. To watch and more importantly enjoy Blu-Ray movies, you at least need a 1080p capable HDTV.

You could also take a look at this. Hope it works:

_YCfHZF77EA

Mark
10th December 2012, 13:31
Well, at least there is a reason why I'm unfamiliar with SCART and have never seen a connector like Mark pictured: we don't have that connection here in the U.S. From what I just read, SCART is a European connection standard and it's never really been used here.

I just swung by Walmart and I have to admit that even the cheapo HDTVs in there had better pictures than I have now. So I guess... Darn it! :mad:

They are reasonably cheap these days too. You know you want to ;)

Starter
10th December 2012, 13:57
If you buy a new one, be sure you get a LCD with a minimum of 120hz or better yet 240hz. Watching sports and racing on a 60hz unit won't be nearly as good. If you go with a plasma unit it won't matter, as that doesn't apply to them..

schmenke
10th December 2012, 14:37
For only $36.00 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDMI® to Component (YPbPr) & R/L Stereo Audio Converter | HDMI to Component (YPbPr) / VGA Converters (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011410&p_id=8125&seq=1&format=2)

:)

schmenke
10th December 2012, 14:39
... If you go with a plasma unit it won't matter, as that doesn't apply to them..

:?:

My 5 year old Panasonic 50" plasma claims 600Hz :mark: .

Starter
10th December 2012, 17:39
:?:

My 5 year old Panasonic 50" plasma claims 600Hz :mark: .
Yes, all plasma units are well in excess of any LCD/LED set, most are 600hz. That's why I said it really doesn't apply to them.

Dave B
10th December 2012, 18:09
You could take a look at these HDMI to AV converters - HDMI A/V Cables | Overstock.com: Buy A/V Accessories Online (http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/A-V-Cables/HDMI,/type,/12936/subcat.html)

Although never having used one, I doubt it works because you'd still need some sort of a converter.
Exactly: you'd still need an active converter which wouldn't be cost effective, a $7 cable won't magically change the signal from digital to analogue. :)

Dave B
10th December 2012, 18:18
If you buy a new one, be sure you get a LCD with a minimum of 120hz or better yet 240hz. Watching sports and racing on a 60hz unit won't be nearly as good. If you go with a plasma unit it won't matter, as that doesn't apply to them..
That's poor advice. Any TV with a frame refresh rate greater than the source material is simply interpolating the frames to produce the intermediate ones (not on plasma, as you correctly say), therefore it's not the speed of that refresh rate but the quality of the algorithm used which would make the difference. Ideally you can turn that feature off in the settings as most TVs make an absolute dog's dinner of it. You can get TVs with a humongous refresh rate yet utterly hopeless pictures, there are many many other factors at play.

The only good advice is to go out and compare them, to see which you prefer. Ideally find a showroom that simulates your home viewing conditions (ie not under a million lumens of store lighting!), and make sure they're properly set up rather than on store "demo" settings where the contrast and colour is maxed out.

Personally I'd go for plasma over LCD anytime, you get far more bang for your buck. The only real downside is power consumption, but that's a small (ish) price to pay.

Whatever you end up buying, get hold of a decent calibration DVD (or software and connect a computer) and invest half an hour setting up the screen. It really is worth it.

Jag_Warrior
10th December 2012, 18:51
They are reasonably cheap these days too. You know you want to ;)

Well, yeah... I do want to. I mean, the living room TV I have has a picture of a dinosaur on the front. But I've been trying to squirrel money away to buy a vehicle next year and this will take a small chunk out of that fund. Plus, my dishwasher went down on Saturday and flooded my kitchen while I was out. Seems like when it rains, it pours. So I'm headed out this afternoon to buy a dishwasher.

But screw it! I was going to buy a TV in the next year or so anyway. So I went ahead and priced a Panasonic TC-P55GT50 55" plasma. It's top rated by Consumer Reports and it should play well with the Panasonic SC-BTT490 Blu-ray/surround sound. The prices are pretty good right now, so I guess I'll bite the bullet. But this sure would be a nice time for Microsoft stock to go up about $5/share.

schmenke
10th December 2012, 19:50
Atta boy Jag! :up: :p :

I have a Panasonic 50" plasma and am quite happy with it.
Dave has some good advice. I finally got around to properly calibrating my t.v. a few months ago and it made quite a difference in picture quality, primarily getting the contrast (black and white settings) optimized for the lighting conditions in the room.

Jag_Warrior
10th December 2012, 20:54
This model has something called THX Mode that's supposed to "promise picture quality similar to a professional calibration." That's what they claim, but I don't know for sure.

Now I just hope that the dog doesn't get sick or that my car doesn't blow up on Christmas morning. Happy, happy, happy! :mad: