PDA

View Full Version : How can I make my motorsport madness as my profession? (what to study?)

Javi_racing
6th December 2012, 20:57
Helloo. As all of you, I'm mad about motorsport, I love cars and racing, competition, speed... Every time I see in the tv racing cars I love it, and I just want to be there in the future (any sort of category, such as single- seater, touring cars, GTs...) . My "vocation" always have been being a racing driver heheh. Obviously, that is not possible, so I would like to work in a team. For example, race engineer. I know how difficult is to become there... But I'm not meaning F1 (it would be awesome of course) but I would be happy with any lower category.

I'm 17 at the moment, this is my last year of school and then I'll be free to choose what to study. I live in Spain, I suppose you don't know which kind of degree we have here, but you might can tell me some advice or opinions, which engineering I have to study.... What to do?

I know the importance of learning English, I am studying it hard so I hope I can dominate it in the future, it won't be a problem.

The thing is that here in Spain, motorsport is not so popular as in Germany is, for example, which I admire in that aspect. So I'm a bit lost, I need some help of you guys, thank you so much!!

D-Type
6th December 2012, 23:40
If you are technically inclined do a degree in Mechanical Engineering, Automobile Engineering or even Aeronautical Engineering. If you aren't technical then Business Studies or Accountancy are a good idea. Any of these will give you a background that is of use to a motor racing team. At the same time join a motor club and get involved with the organistional side, marshalling, flag marshalling etc - it will give you a chance to meet motor racing people.

Oh - don't forget to do the lottery as money opens a lot of doors

Mark
7th December 2012, 10:40
If you want to get involved in motorsport at a grass roots level can I suggest looking at rallying first, rather than racing. Purely because there is more rallying about, more teams and thus more opportunity to get involved.

Knock-on
7th December 2012, 11:03
Apply for work experience or training technical posts and get involved with helping an amature team. You will find the contacts you make will be more worthwhile than your degree, although your degree is important, of course.

You will find that even at grass roots level, there are people that know people or who may have competed at a high level but are now just having fun. In motor racing, and F1, it's not what you know but who you know that gets you in. After that, it's really a case of being the best and you will find you get noticed. It's just that type of industry.

Good luck.

wedge
7th December 2012, 20:44
If you are reasonably academic then I would suggest Oxford Brookes University and Coventry University.

My brother went to Surrey. McLaren is popular and tough to get into.

Javi_racing
8th December 2012, 12:59
Thank you so much to all of you :) I will consider your advices.

Yes, I'm studying the technical modality, so I can go to some technical degree. So do you think mechanical engineering will allow me some opportunity? Automobile engineering degree does not exist here, except in one private college which is too expensive. I could consider go there but is difficult because of the money, while it is something much similar to mechanical engineering, but more related to automobile. It might be the best option to study I suppose

Another important thing is meeting people ok, which is difficult too, because in Madrid there isn't any important track (only Jarama circuit), but I'll try going there and get involved

Thank you

BleAivano
8th December 2012, 13:23
If you want to get involved in motorsport at a grass roots level can I suggest looking at rallying first, rather than racing.
Purely because there is more rallying about, more teams and thus more opportunity to get involved.

I am far from an expert but I think this is a very good suggestions.

LIke Marks says in Rally there are more teams and I would like to claim (at least in Sweden) that
there are much more "happy amateurs" that only are doing occasional rallies for fun and it would
probably easier to get a foot in with those teams then a professional racing team.

donKey jote
8th December 2012, 17:09
Automobile engineering degree does not exist here

Ever thought about Germany ? :)

Humber
8th December 2012, 20:44
1) Look to see where the people from Spain have studied who are involved in motorsport teams or the Spanish automotive industry - SEAT and other car makers.
2) Do you have to study in Madrid for economic reasons or would some other university such as Barcelona be possible for you ?
3) Research the racing/ rallying teams in the area you study are so if you meet them or visit them you know who they are and what results or cars they have had.
4) The place you study is likely to have people who know or have worked/ helped with motorsport teams, you might be able to find a team with the help of you teachers' contacts.

Javi_racing
12th December 2012, 22:17
Thank you! I appreciate too much your help

Ever thought about Germany ? :)

Pfff it is very difficult... I don't think I can go out to study next year. The most probable thing is studying here a degree in mechanical engineering, but don't rule out other possibilities

ioan
16th December 2012, 00:16
Start with studying Mechanical or Aeronautical Engineering (electronics and electrical might do also but less likely) then after the first couple of years you can apply for summer internships in racing or rally teams, there's plenty of them. Once there do your best to impress with your genius.
If engineering is not for you, which is quite possible, you might want to become a sports journalist! ;)

Javi_racing
18th December 2012, 20:59
Thank you! Journalism not, I'm in the branch of technology, so I might do a engineering (as I said, mechanical engineering is very probable) :)

Thank for all your advices