PDA

View Full Version : Alonso and Ferrari - What's in going to take?

gloomyDAY
26th November 2012, 17:30
Fernando Alonso has lost championships by 1-point in 2007 (still with McLaren), 4-points in 2010, and 3-points in 2012. I'm not a fan of Ferrari in the least, but I'd love to see Fernando be more competitive throughout the season and have more wins. I wonder what Ferrari are going to do in order to make that a reality for Fernando in 2013.

http://i.imgur.com/sLKi1.jpg

I didn't know Formula 1 drivers could have a thousand yard stare. :D

dj_bytedisaster
26th November 2012, 17:47
The only thing that's needed is a competetive car. Reliability, team work, development speed were all there, but they started with a turd on wheels and polished it vigorously throughout the year...

MAX_THRUST
26th November 2012, 18:09
Adrian Newey

dj_bytedisaster
26th November 2012, 18:53
I wouldn't make so much of Adrian Newey. Yes, he still is the best damn designer there is, but the first half of the season has shown that he might come up with a less than brilliant car, too. He needed half a season to come up with a solution and 2000-2009 have shown that he's beatable, too

Rollo
26th November 2012, 19:24
What if the difference between Alonso and that last little bit is because of the relative brilliance of other drivers? Alonso is very very good but in 2007 he was beaten by Räikkönen, and in 2010 and 2012 he was beaten by Vettel.
Formula One is a sport where that last 1% matters. What if that very last 1% is purely down to the drivers, if the car is worth the other 99%?

steveaki13
26th November 2012, 22:46
What will it take?

A faster car.

Fernando has done all he could this season, and if he had a car as good as Mclaren or Red Bull over the course of the season he surely would have won the title by a margin.

Just my reading of the situation.

dj_bytedisaster
26th November 2012, 23:00
What if the difference between Alonso and that last little bit is because of the relative brilliance of other drivers? Alonso is very very good but in 2007 he was beaten by Räikkönen, and in 2010 and 2012 he was beaten by Vettel.
Formula One is a sport where that last 1% matters. What if that very last 1% is purely down to the drivers, if the car is worth the other 99%?

He is one of the best. Someone, who qualifies Minardi's in 15th position and wins three GP in a dog of a car like this year's Ferrari is definitely one of the best. Given competetive machinery, he'll be in it for the title. In 2010 he only lost the title because of the atrocious strategy of Ferrari at the last race. As Brazil has shown, a lot of things have to come together to lose a 15 point advantage in the last race. Ferrari was up to it as a team this year, only the car was a complete bag 'o balls. (in that regard they weren't up to it). If they can build a better machine next year, especially for the early season, he'll get his third. Also remember that the three times he lost the title in the last race, he was beaten by a maximum of 4 points.

wedge
26th November 2012, 23:56

2007 - stewards shouldn't have interfered with the debacle at the Hungarian GP. That was a matter for McLaren to sort out and grid penalty was uncalled for, IMO.

2010 - Alonso was made too many errors and was pushing too hard in the first half of the season.

2012 - car development not quite good enough.

kfzmeister
27th November 2012, 01:47
Bring back Briatore. He'll make it happen!

zako85
27th November 2012, 04:09
Things can change overnight. I do feel surprised Ferrari hasn't been able to keep up consistently with the top cars since like 2009. At least they have beated McLaren this year.

Roamy
27th November 2012, 07:43
Bring back Briatore. He'll make it happen!

This is the correct answer !!!!!!!

dj_bytedisaster
27th November 2012, 07:53
Things can change overnight. I do feel surprised Ferrari hasn't been able to keep up consistently with the top cars since like 2009. At least they have beated McLaren this year.

Didn't they completely start from scratch at least twice in that time? I remember that there was quite some talk in the 2011/2012 off-season how they were going to be more aggressive in their approach to the new car and starting with a clean sheet. That approach can mean you come up with a new yardstick, but you are in trouble if you don't.
McLaren has had that problem a couple of times in the past, too

I am evil Homer
27th November 2012, 10:32
A better #2

dj_bytedisaster
27th November 2012, 13:18
There is no better #2 than Massa. No other driver would let his team run roughshod over him like in the last three races.

The Black Knight
27th November 2012, 13:31
There is no better #2 than Massa. No other driver would let his team run roughshod over him like in the last three races.

I agree with that. I don't think Webber would have accepted that gearbox penalty.

Ferrari just need to develop a better car. Other than that they have all the key ingredients.

dj_bytedisaster
27th November 2012, 13:37
I agree with that. I don't think Webber would have accepted that gearbox penalty.

He probably would have accepted it, but we would have had another glass-slamming moment in the press conference :D

ShiftingGears
27th November 2012, 13:52
It took Schumacher four years of trying with Ferrari before he won the WDC with them, for some perspective.

The Black Knight
27th November 2012, 14:04
It took Schumacher four years of trying with Ferrari before he won the WDC with them, for some perspective.

Ah yeah, but Ferrari were a mess when Schumacher went to them. Couldn't say the same for the Ferrari of today. It's not Alonso's fault they haven't won a WDC together though.

wedge
27th November 2012, 17:49
First priority is to sort out their wind tunnel -which is what they+re doing now.

They've har problems for the last couple of yearsn

donKey jote
27th November 2012, 19:30
This is the correct answer !!!!!!!

this is the konkret answer !!! :D

I am evil Homer
28th November 2012, 09:17

What a driver who only performs once he's got a contract sorted? The final 5-6 races he was the old Massa, before then he was nowhere to help take points off rivals.

Alonso was lucky the McLaren broke so many times this season.

jens
29th November 2012, 19:37
Circumstances. If seasons end like they did in 2007, 2008, 2010 and 2012 with the difference of just a few points, then it is really down to circumstances or should I say luck, how exactly do the points get played out. Once may come a season, where the circumstances play in Alonso's favour. By the way, this already happened in 2005 and 2006. In 2005 he again had a slower car in terms of speed, but a bulletproof car (like in 2012) and the unreliability of the rival team played it into his hands. Also in the end of 2006 Schumacher's Ferrari suddenly lost reliability.

It is easy to say that he needs "a faster car", but if that happens, something else in the rest of the perfect puzzle (reliability, team-work, strategies, luck) may be a let-down. He certainly had a very good car in 2007, but it didn't quite work out. So to win a WDC, Alonso simply needs the stars to align and the whole team needs to perform at the highest level for the whole season. It almost happened in 2012, when Ferrari impressed with development speed in mid-season, while RBR and McLaren were struggling. But they still couldn't quite keep it up until the end.

ioan
29th November 2012, 22:29
6 tenths?

Mia 01
30th November 2012, 06:18
Adrian against Fernando, the latter will lose. Adrian will have to make a mistake with the construction of a car one year for Alonso to have a chance. Seb is a to good driver for Fred with a good car he nearly always beat him.

This is way the whole yellow/green lights buisniz occur. Fred knows that it could be his last chance to get a WDC.

Knock-on
30th November 2012, 13:25
Adrian is a great Aero expert and good at pulling the correct resources together to create a Chmpionship winning car but he's only one componant of a very successful package. Red Bull will have troughs in their car development and other teams will catch up.

If Ferrari want to win another championship, they had better get some FIAssistance because Red Bull seems to be the darling at the moment. ;)

dj_bytedisaster
30th November 2012, 15:45
If Ferrari want to win another championship, they had better get some FIAssistance because Red Bull seems to be the darling at the moment. ;)

Doesn't make sense from FIA's point of view. They must have had each and every interest in Alonso winning the title at Interlagos. The Schumacher years have proven, how bad serial championships are for the business. Alonso winning at Brazil would have been a fairy tale and PR gold for Mr. E., while a 3rd win of Vettel was predictably quite an unpopular outcome. By favouring RB, FIA and especially Bernie would shoot themselves in the foot.

Knock-on
30th November 2012, 16:34
Doesn't make sense from FIA's point of view. They must have had each and every interest in Alonso winning the title at Interlagos. The Schumacher years have proven, how bad serial championships are for the business. Alonso winning at Brazil would have been a fairy tale and PR gold for Mr. E., while a 3rd win of Vettel was predictably quite an unpopular outcome. By favouring RB, FIA and especially Bernie would shoot themselves in the foot.

Mr E is different, although it's common knowledge he's been trying to get Red Bull to sponsor New Jersy, but it makes every sense for Red Bull to win for the FIA. Think of the FIA as the Civil Service and then consider who contributes a not inconsiderable fortune across all forms of Motorsport; F1, Rally, Bikes, Touring Cars and other Series. If you want to compare just the Money Ferrari and Red Bull put into just F1, it's a no brainer why the FIA might not want to be too hard on the Bull. It dwarfs what the Italian company spend and we're only talking about 1 series. The FIA aren't stupid and don't want to erode their powerbase, do they?

Follow the money ;)

F1boat
30th November 2012, 16:52
A car which can compete with the best in qualifying.

dj_bytedisaster
30th November 2012, 17:12
The FIA aren't stupid and don't want to erode their powerbase, do they?

Follow the money ;)

But all that money would be wort squat, if Formula One falls into the same lump that were the Schumacher Years. I don't think they can afford another 5-times champ and if Schumachers stamina is anything to got by Vettels career could last another 12-15 years. I'm pretty sure that, if RB is again up the road next year, we'll see questionable penalties lobbed their way.

F1 has never been above being manipulative. If you are a rule zealot, technically both Vettel and Fermando could have been given a penalty at Interlagos - Vettel for the crash with Senna and Alonso outbraked himself into T1 under what looked like yellow conditions and the way he rejoined the track doesn't quite match with what the rules prescribe for such a scenario.
But in both cases it would have killed the suspense, because in both cases the championship fight would've been all but over and that's bad for selling ads in the commercial breaks.

jas123f1
30th November 2012, 18:14
What Ferrari should do as the first thing - is to give Massa the same possibilities to do a good job as they are giving to Alonso - I'm sure Felipe has lot to give if he will be taken more seriously. Less politics and more sport - it is what Ferrari needs.

F1boat
30th November 2012, 19:53
I'm pretty sure that, if RB is again up the road next year, we'll see questionable penalties lobbed their way.

Todt is not Max. FIA had the chance to be really mean to Seb this year, but with the exception of Monza, which is a temple for Ferrari, they mostly growled and did not bite. Still annoying, but not as awful as actual bias. I am hopeful that FIA will be fair to Red Bull and Seb next year as well.

Knock-on
30th November 2012, 23:54
Todt is not Max. FIA had the chance to be really mean to Seb this year, but with the exception of Monza, which is a temple for Ferrari, they mostly growled and did not bite. Still annoying, but not as awful as actual bias. I am hopeful that FIA will be fair to Red Bull and Seb next year as well.

We all hope for fairness but we all hope for a Lottery win. Red Bull will be favoured.

ShiftingGears
1st December 2012, 01:10
What Ferrari should do as the first thing - is to give Massa the same possibilities to do a good job as they are giving to Alonso - I'm sure Felipe has lot to give if he will be taken more seriously. Less politics and more sport - it is what Ferrari needs.

Felipe is pretty lucky that they renewed his contract - he was a total disaster for most of the year. Ferrari owe him nothing.

kfzmeister
1st December 2012, 01:24
Vettel was lucky the McLaren broke so many times this season.

This seems more appropriate.

kfzmeister
1st December 2012, 01:26

How do you know they do not? And if they do not, why do you think they do not? A starting quarterback has to win his position as well, otherwise he sits on the bench and gives signals.

Tazio
1st December 2012, 04:04
What Ferrari should do as the first thing - is to give Massa the same possibilities to do a good job as they are giving to Alonso - I'm sure Felipe has lot to give if he will be taken more seriously. Less politics and more sport - it is what Ferrari needs.Personally I think Felipe has shown in the past that he has as much raw speed as just about anyone including Alonso, but with all due respect Massa drove like a tool for the first 3/4 of a season, that is his own fault.
Why would you suggest that Ferrari don't take him seriously? My guess is you are biased against the team, Alonso or both. :dozey:

ioan
1st December 2012, 12:18
What exactly has Massa to do with Alonsita's shortcomings?
It's funny how Alonso 'fans' always blame someone else for his failures! Losers! :rotflmao:

dj_bytedisaster
1st December 2012, 12:48
funny post, ioan. It is not ...
Quite frankly the Vettel fanbois, who now are insufferable smug and taunt Alonso as a looser annoy me just as much as the Alonso apologists, who say Vettel is unworthy.
Why can't we just celebrate the season for what it was - the most exciting one we had in a while that was decided in a nailbiting finale. That not everyone is happy with the outcome is a given - we have half a dozen top-drivers and only one trophy. But is it worth going potty over it? Let's move on. only a little over 100 days till the next race :D

Nem14
2nd December 2012, 20:40
Design the Ferrari so Fred can drive it according to the formula in my siggy.

F1boat
3rd December 2012, 09:57
funny post, ioan. It is not ...
Quite frankly the Vettel fanbois, who now are insufferable smug and taunt Alonso as a looser annoy me just as much as the Alonso apologists, who say Vettel is unworthy.

I had an enormous respect for Alonso and his season and still think that he drove very well, but after the appeal of Ferrari, which, according to some, was made after the demands of Alonso and his manager I too think that he is a loser. A great loser, but a loser.

F1boat
3rd December 2012, 10:11
It perhaps wasn't good sportsmanship on Alonso's part but he's never taken defeat very well, remember Abu Dhabi 2010 with Petrov to name a recent instance? Then again its the rumour mill suggesting it was at Alonso's request, but in truth we don't know that as fact. Anyway, I suppose there is a lot at stake and gaining a WDC on appeal is worth a lot to one's own record and the monetary value to the team. You can't really blame them for trying it on.

It is disgusting and I can especially if you consider the fact that Alonso ridiculed McLaren about the same thing in 2007. Well, I was appalled from McLaren's behavior then and from Ferrari's actions now... I simply loathe this efforts to fix the championship. I also think that Ferrari are definitely not idiots and knew that they were wrong. Nevertheless they tried, maybe in order to diminish the success of Red Bull and Seb. For me it is very difficult to respect them after that, although I am sure that in the end I will be happy to see them successful - there is always something special about Ferrari.

dj_bytedisaster
3rd December 2012, 10:13
It perhaps wasn't good sportsmanship on Alonso's part but he's never taken defeat very well, remember Abu Dhabi 2010 with Petrov to name a recent instance? Then again its the rumour mill suggesting it was at Alonso's request, but in truth we don't know that as fact.

The thing that I think makes Fernando look a bit bad, is his tweeting. Those cryptic messages about 'making own miracles on proper rules' made it look like he was all for it, even if he wasn't the driving force behind it. I think we can agree that all drivers don't take defeat very well. Alonso sulks, Vettel complains about god and the world and Hamilton may lose his marbles alltogether (like he did in 2011 with that 'because I is black' comment for instance).
The driving force behind the whole story are the Spanish media, who hypes the raw stuffing out of a few grainy youtube videos. With their fanbase frothing at the mouth Ferrari had now other choice than to ask for clarification. The last thing you want is alienating your fanbase.

dj_bytedisaster
3rd December 2012, 10:49
The 'asking for clarification' on competitors parts is not strictly the same. It is mainly a tool to have FIA investigate, but ruling it out is not always the only goal. Sometimes it is also used as a tool to get technical information about the concept to copy it at a later time. Since FIA has to explain WHY a part is within the rules, they also need to present technical information, which is then used by competitors.

The whole clarification dance about Vettel's move against Vergne was just a Ferrari plot to silence the raging Spanish fans. They didn't need clarification. If internet users could riddle it out using nothing more than a grainy youtube video and the official track map on FIA.com, one can safely bet that the seasoned veterans at Ferrari knew that there was not case to begin with.
But their Spanish fans went ape-excrement and their star driver fueled the fire with a bit of twitter nonsense, so they had to do something to silence the uproar. That's all there was to it.

F1boat
3rd December 2012, 10:54
henners, both in 2007 and 2012 FIA stewards checked the accidents and had their decisions - to fine Williams in 2007 and not to take action in 2012. With the appeals McLaren and Ferrari desperately tried to win the races in courts and it is disgusting, at least for me. Other people may feel different.
I also don't like that forum maniacs have such vast influence in sports or entertainment. It seems that many people are ready to bend to the wishes of nerds with too much free time (and yes, I am among these nerds too ;) ).

dj_bytedisaster
3rd December 2012, 11:01
henners, both in 2007 and 2012 FIA stewards checked the accidents and had their decisions - to fine Williams in 2007 and not to take action in 2012. With the appeals McLaren and Ferrari desperately tried to win the races in courts and it is disgusting, at least for me. Other people may feel different.
I also don't like that forum maniacs have such vast influence in sports or entertainment. It seems that many people are ready to bend to the wishes of nerds with too much free time (and yes, I am among these nerds too ;) ).

You're talking in riddles, man. Those youtube videos didn't come from Forum nerds. Well maybe they did, but not too many people would have noticed them. The pressure came from Spanish tabloid papers. Nodoby gives a flying expletive about us forum nerds ;)

F1boat
3rd December 2012, 11:07
well, sorry for my mistake then, although it is worse if FIA bows to biased journos.

AndyL
3rd December 2012, 11:36
well, sorry for my mistake then, although it is worse if FIA bows to biased journos.

Well, they didn't change the result of the race. But surely it's right to answer when people are asking questions isn't it?

F1boat
3rd December 2012, 11:42
I think that they answered even before Ferrari asked for clarification, but I'm not sure - I was far from the city and the Internet in the days of the row.

Tazio
3rd December 2012, 16:50
Well, they didn't change the result of the race. But surely it's right to answer when people are asking questions isn't it?Well stated AndyL, this thread has gotten way off topic. Here is my simple though somewhat existential view of the championship.

Vettel was 3 points better than Alonso.

Furthermore; anyone who doesn't think Alonso (Spanish media or any other purveyor of ambiguous prose) didn't do everything in his power to win this "dog-blasted thing, or in some way was cheated really weren't paying very close attention, and or need to get over it. Alonso did himself and Ferrari proud, I'm quite satisfied with Alonso's body of work this season, and I offer no excuses! :cool:

Bagwan
3rd December 2012, 17:07
While it might not have such a hard thing to get past him , all of us would put it in context , regarding the respective cars , so I doubt Michael would be too bothered about being shown up , so I'm so sure about "a)" .

As for "b)" , sure , Luca would see the chance for being tripped up by Michael go away , and would be saddened by it , as it's a part of the game . Team orders are legal , and so , I guess , is helping another team , even if you don't stand to benefit yours .

In a wet race there is every chance that Torro Rosso wouldn't make the end , or that it might have tripped into Vettel itself , had Sebastian been backed into it with a defending Michael .

It was one of the last straws that Ferrari could grasp , and Michael retired the position before retiring after the race .

Bagwan
3rd December 2012, 17:10
Vettel was 3 points better than Alonso.

Taz , I think you'd better change that to "Vettel got 3 more points than Alonso" to avoid a "better" argument .

pino
3rd December 2012, 17:12
While it might not have such a hard thing to get past him , all of us would put it in context , regarding the respective cars , so I doubt Michael would be too bothered about being shown up , so I'm so sure about "a)" .

As for "b)" , sure , Luca would see the chance for being tripped up by Michael go away , and would be saddened by it , as it's a part of the game . Team orders are legal , and so , I guess , is helping another team , even if you don't stand to benefit yours .

In a wet race there is every chance that Torro Rosso wouldn't make the end , or that it might have tripped into Vettel itself , had Sebastian been backed into it with a defending Michael .

It was one of the last straws that Ferrari could grasp , and Michael retired the position before retiring after the race .

I've just started a new thread to discuss this so please continue there :)

Tazio
3rd December 2012, 17:50
Taz , I think you'd better change that to "Vettel got 3 more points than Alonso" to avoid a "better" argument .I will not :angryfire ;) :p :
I will let my post stand for what is worth, at face value, with no inclination to defend it against any and all attacks. As I stated it is an "existential" comment, but since you rattled my cage I would like to add a caveat to my post; Alonso went down fighting in style. He was pushing a twitchy car to the max in wet conditions, and I can say without fear of recrimination that he drove his a$$ off in the last race, and all season. I can't ask for more than that.

donKey jote
3rd December 2012, 18:03
fanbase frothing at the mouth

the raging Spanish fans [...]
Spanish fans went ape-excrement

I honestly don't know where you get your info from, unless it's the Berliner kurier or the Bild :laugh:

Not even Spanish TV's Baldy was frothing, and he's in love with Alonso - fact ! :andrea:

dj_bytedisaster
3rd December 2012, 18:15
I honestly don't know where you get your info from, unless it's the Berliner kurier or the Bild :laugh:

Not even Spanish TV's Baldy was frothing, and he's in love with Alonso - fact ! :andrea:

I've visited a few websites. The sky sports comment sections and those on YallaF1 - one of the first Internet rags to run the Vergne video - were chock full of spaniards, who wrote stuff that would get you an instant ban in here. Mind you, the british were close seconds. Since I generally steer clear of German media, because they're just one big Vettel circle-jerk, I mainly read british papers and many of the comments there made me think it's 1942 ...

donKey jote
3rd December 2012, 19:25
None of those are Spanish media, but fairy muff :andrea:
I steer clear of German rags, British rags and Spanish rags too except for a laugh... and my regular reads are BBC.co.uk, Spiegel Online and Elpais.es for a fair and balanced view of the world.
For an unfair but at least balanced view of F1, I watch the races on German, UK and Spanish TV (yes, often simultaneously :laugh: ) :)

F1boat
3rd December 2012, 19:27
BBC has great columnists but some of the fans who post there are appalling.

dj_bytedisaster
3rd December 2012, 21:02
For an unfair but at least balanced view of F1, I watch the races on German, UK and Spanish TV (yes, often simultaneously :laugh: ) :)

Man, you must be really resistent to pain :D

dj_bytedisaster
3rd December 2012, 21:04
None of those are Spanish media, but fairy muff :andrea:

I checked out El Mundo and As as they were reported to stir the fire most. My Spanish is nowhere near as good as English or Russian, but it was enough to gather that they threw quite a bit of fuel to the fire.

donKey jote
4th December 2012, 07:53
El Mundo is very much Jeckyll & Hyde. On the one hand considered one of the mainstream serious papers alongside El Pais for example, but on the other it still promotes conspiracy theories (like ETA being involved in the Madrid bombings and a police cover-up to steal the elections from Aznar) just to sell.
As for As ( ;) ) it's nothing more than the Real Madrid version of Marca :laugh:
I for one rarely take a look at either of them, except for a laugh when there's some controversy going :p :andrea:

pino
4th December 2012, 09:18
What Alonso needs ? A car as fast as the Red Bull...it would be exciting then ;)

zako85
5th December 2012, 00:16
Sometimes I wonder that all Alonso needs is a car that would put him at least on the second row. His starts are very good and he is pretty fast in race trim. However, this year's Ferrari has not delivered that. He was starting from what.. 3rd, 4th.. 5th rows. That was still good enough to fight for the podiums but usually not for the win.

kfzmeister
5th December 2012, 09:07
What Alonso needs ? A car as fast as the Red Bull...it would be exciting then ;)

it would be game over. ;)

dj_bytedisaster
5th December 2012, 09:33
I think if you gave Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel equal cars we'd see some very intense racing.

That may well be the case next year. With the rules as stable as they are, there are no new loopholes for A. Newey to exploit, so Ferrari is likely to catch up and the McLaren already is as good as the RB.

dj_bytedisaster
5th December 2012, 12:01
McLaren isn't going to help Lewis next year. Its looking likely he will be one of the best drivers fighting in a middle field car, unless the Brackley team have developed a better car from earlier this season.

They have been developing it "for more than 12 months now". Brawn said that in an interview that was published on the website of German racing journal "Motorsport Total", 90 minutes ago. If there's interest I can post a translation of the article.
So what it sounds like to me is:

a) They knew as early as dec. 2011 that the 2012 challenger would be a dog.
b) They knew that they wouldn't retain Schumacher and started to design the 2013 car extremely early with the knowledge that they would try to get a star driver for '13.

After all Brawn has experience with that method. Extremely early start of development was, how the Brawn came to be the dominant car in early '09.
So maybe there's hope after all.

And there's also hope in a different aspect. In another Interview for the same paper, Horner admitted that "Adrian is a bit behind on schedule with the RB9", because they couldn't afford to stop development of the RB8 until the last race.

CaptainRaiden
5th December 2012, 12:18
They have been developing it "for more than 12 months now". Brawn said that in an interview that was published on the website of German racing journal "Motorsport Total", 90 minutes ago. If there's interest I can post a translation of the article.

That would be great! Or you could just post the link and we can use Google translate (but their translation is absolute rubbish most of the times). :p

Knock-on
5th December 2012, 12:53
I don't think it was too much of a surprise that Mercedes have been developing a car for next year. They haven't hidden the fact that personnel and mnagement have been brought in.

They also had a reasonable driver that was not capable of challenging for the championship and one that is over the hill. Not much incentive for continued improvement of the 2012 car.

It's logical that they would get a top flite driver in and push for a package that can challenge in 2013. I predict it will be very competitive in Lewis's hands.

dj_bytedisaster
5th December 2012, 13:22
Here's the translation of the full article. The original can be found HERE (http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news/2012/12/Neuer_Silberpfeil_Kein_verspaetetes_Debuet_mehr_12 120502.html)

New Silver Arrow - No more postponed debut
The track debut of the new Mercedes will most likely happen at the very first day of testing in 2012. After restructuring there can be no more excuses

The Formula 1 season has barely ended and already preparations for 2013 are in the final phase. The finishing touches are put to the new cars, which have been developed since May at least. Meanwhile the designers are already working out the plans for updates in the next season. But the real pressure will be on from February 05th, when the first day of pre-season testing will start in the Andalusian Jerez de la Frontera.

In February 2012 Mercedes showed up for the first tests with the old model MGP W02. The W03, which would win the first GP in the hands of Nico Rosberg three months later did not debut before the second test at Barcelona. The goal behind this postponement was to buy more time for design and windtunnel testing - an old trick of Red Bull ace Adrian Newey. But in 2013 the new model shall be running on all 12 winter testing days. "The car will be at the first test, at the first day, except we hit unforeseeable circumstances," team boss Brawn announces.

He further explains that the new car "has been in work for 12 months or longer". Back then, after the disappointing 2011 campaign, internal restructuring had started. A result of that are the current technical team of Bob Bell, Aldo Costa, Geoff Willis and Mike Elliot as well as an upscaling of windtunnel models from 50% to 60%. Brawn remembers: "Twelve Months ago we realized that we have to strengthen the operation."

"Geoff Willis joined us this summer and we have hired other people as well. We have updated and improved the windtunnel. This all has been going on for some time already." Main focus of the changes has been the aerodynamics. "We decided to restructure the aerodynamics team. It always takes a bit of time after that until a team really works as a unit." Mercedes felt that from the middle of the season, when their development went in reverse at top speed.

"Loic Bigois, who had been leading the team has left in April/May. Then we had to wait for Mike Elliot to arrive, who was still at Lotus at the time. He arrived a little later [than planned] and we didn't make a good job of bridging the gap between Loic's departure and Mike's arrival," Brawn admits. "At the same time we switched from a 50% to a 60% windtunnel as well as a few other aspects of the aerodynamics team. Maybe we could have handled that phase a little better."

Bus, since Elliot arrived and the windtunnel has been calibrated, the restructuring is finished. That means, while there might have been some slight turbulence in the earliest planning phase of the 2013 project, there can essentially be no more excuses for the new car. All at Brackley, Brixworth and Stuttgart know: In the forth year a significant step forward has to come.

Speaking of Brackley and Brixworth: The cooperation between chassis and engine departments is meanwhile working flawlessly, which could prove a substantial advantage for 2014, because then the new revolutionary engine formula will come into effect and the integration of chassis and engine will become even more important. "The working relationship betweenb chassis in Brackley and engines at Brixworth is developing well. That is very important for 2014," Brawn says. "2014 is a huge opportunity and that will be, when we will show our strength as a unit."

---fin---

Ranger
5th December 2012, 13:26
I don't think it was too much of a surprise that Mercedes have been developing a car for next year. They haven't hidden the fact that personnel and mnagement have been brought in.

They also had a reasonable driver that was not capable of challenging for the championship and one that is over the hill. Not much incentive for continued improvement of the 2012 car.

It's logical that they would get a top flite driver in and push for a package that can challenge in 2013. I predict it will be very competitive in Lewis's hands.

:\

Mercedes sing that same "early development of next year's car" tune every year, with the same average results.

The only difference in 2009 was the interpretation of a 'gap' and a 'hole'. Even then they lost out in the development race, like every car the team has produced since.

I don't expect 2013 to be any better than their 2012 campaign but I would happily be proven wrong.

AndyL
5th December 2012, 14:04
:\

Mercedes sing that same "early development of next year's car" tune every year, with the same average results.

The only difference in 2009 was the interpretation of a 'gap' and a 'hole'. Even then they lost out in the development race, like every car the team has produced since.

I don't expect 2013 to be any better than their 2012 campaign but I would happily be proven wrong.

The difference between the 2009 car and every one since was a billion dollars.

dj_bytedisaster
5th December 2012, 14:27
The more interesting question is, why in the name of all that's holy did they hire Loic Bigois in the first place :o That man has been in F1 since 1990 and has designed exactly two decent cars in that time (the 1997 Prost and the 2009 Brawn) two out of 22 is not exactly track record to attract a job at a major manufacturers team :s

F1boat
6th December 2012, 17:46
The funny stuff is that the rules to 2013 are really similar to 2012. If they are developing the 2014 car with the hope to repeat the 2009 success, I can buy that, but for 2013... I don't think so.

Anders Grøndal
7th December 2012, 12:18
Easy! a faster car!

Mia 01
7th December 2012, 14:05
The funny stuff is that the rules to 2013 are really similar to 2012. If they are developing the 2014 car with the hope to repeat the 2009 success, I can buy that, but for 2013... I don't think so.

Sorry to say but the aero rules will stay mostley the same as next year for 2014.

wedge
7th December 2012, 15:50
Sorry to say but the aero rules will stay mostley the same as next year for 2014.

Sorry to say that you are wrong.

The nose will be lower, the front wings will be smaller and smaller rear wing angle.

airshifter
8th December 2012, 02:47
Alonso needs something Ferrari have forgotten in recent years. They need a complete team dedicated to the car and drivers.... yes driverS... both of them. If they quit treating Massa like a dog (or whatever driver becomes the next #2) they will end up with better car development as well as team building. Not to mention the points that driver can take from Fernando's opponents.

The win at all costs approach of Ferrari is costing them IMO. They need to get back to the roots of what made them great and the passion that inspired such attitudes.

Alonso drove a great season without doubt, and the car hurt him. But much like Felipe missing out on his WDC, he and the team need to celebrate such a close season, refire the passion that got them there, and try even harder in the following season.

dj_bytedisaster
8th December 2012, 08:31
I think it is going to take a bit more than just a better car. Ferrari needs to work in several areas.

First and foremost they need to get the wind tunnel fiasco sorted out. It that is done car development should be back to its best.

They also need to rethink their attitude towards Massa. I mean that's a man, who came to within one point of winning the title for them in 2008 and they still treat him like the red-haired ******* child. A lot was made of Massas appaling early season form, but some of the blame has to go to the team. Leaving a driver as emotional as Massa dangling without a contract until the last possible moment is going to hurt self-esteem. Once he had that monkey off his back, he was a serious contender again. Had Ferrari done that two months earlier, the title might have been in Maranello now. Eddie and Rubens got their fair share of #2 treatment, but at least in the early season they were often allowed to race for themselves and they were never left to their own devices as Ferrari has done with Massa. Shafting a driver, like they did in Austin does not go by without mental impact on the driver.

They need a Massa on his best next year, because he needs to steal points from Button, Vettel and maybe Lewis or Kimmi. They won't get that if they treat him like something you scrape off your shoe.

Knock-on
8th December 2012, 09:45
I think Ferrari need to book an appointment with Dr Ruth as they cant stop shagging Brazillians. Saying that, I think Massa and Rubens before him only have themselves to blame. If they don't want to take it up the exhaust, then stop picking up the soap.

As it is, Massa knows he's paid lapdog and should concentrate on doing a better job of it. it was only a threat of losing his position that seemed to shake him out of his slump and put in some good drives in the last part of the season. He needs to accept his job and do his best, not keep moping about.

dj_bytedisaster
8th December 2012, 11:26
I think Ferrari need to book an appointment with Dr Ruth as they cant stop shagging Brazillians. Saying that, I think Massa and Rubens before him only have themselves to blame. If they don't want to take it up the exhaust, then stop picking up the soap.

As it is, Massa knows he's paid lapdog and should concentrate on doing a better job of it. it was only a threat of losing his position that seemed to shake him out of his slump and put in some good drives in the last part of the season. He needs to accept his job and do his best, not keep moping about.

I think you oversee a few things here. First of all, he lost the WDC in 2008 literally in the last corner and half a year later he suffered an almost fatal accident. That's enough to break a Klingon's will add the punching-bag treatment of Ferrari on top of that. I'm not surprized he's been in a funk for so long.

Knock-on
8th December 2012, 13:11
I think you oversee a few things here. First of all, he lost the WDC in 2008 literally in the last corner and half a year later he suffered an almost fatal accident. That's enough to break a Klingon's will add the punching-bag treatment of Ferrari on top of that. I'm not surprized he's been in a funk for so long.

If he was that affected, don't you think they wouldn't have signed him again or are they getting all sentemental. They weren't all soft and fluffy when they eased out the Tifosi hero, Schumacher, so why go all soft when it's someone that hasn't brought them a championship?

No. Massa is the Poodle and gets paid to act in a supporting role. I'm fed up of all the guff about his accident as it doesn't wash any more. He's back and has driven some good races but when he gets unmotivated, it's always the "oh, he had an accident" excuse. Funny how when he's threatened with losing his contract, he suddenly finds some form again ;)

N. Jones
8th December 2012, 17:15
I am agreeing with all of those that say Massa needs to be treated at least like a 1A. Without developing both cars Fernando will always be one point shy of the title.

kfzmeister
8th December 2012, 17:32
Ferrari brought in Alonso to win the title for them. Massa knows that he has no chance against him (see Nurburgring '07 or Malaysia '10). Let's not be stupid about suggesting that Massa will ever win another title with them, nor that Ferrari should treat him better. They gave him an equal playing field in '10. I remember in '10 Alonso, new to the team, hung behind Massa a few races, then took over going into the pits at Malaysia. he clearly established himself as the #1 driver then and never looked back. Cracks me up when Massa has his occasional good race or quali where his times are better than Alonso's. Occasional is key here. It's a dog eat dog sport and if you are unable to survive, you get eaten up. Massa is lucky that he's still in the team. Bottom line. Accident or not, he 's simply not in the same class. If he were, he would not have driven like he did in Silverstone '08, spinning the car over and over again. That race alone would have won him the champaionship.
Back to the topic, there's really only one thing that they need. A faster car......and Briatore to whip it all into shape. :D

dj_bytedisaster
8th December 2012, 18:27
Back to the topic, there's really only one thing that they need. A faster car......and Briatore to whip it all into shape. :D

I seriously hope you meant that as a joke :( The day someone lets this despicable waste of skin and organs back into the sport will be the day F1 dies for me. The only track record this low-life scumbag has is perennial corruption and cheating. We're talking about a man, who willingly risked the lives of drivers and mechanics for a second spared in pit-stops (Verstappen, Hockenheim '94) and told drivers to crash on purpose to rig race results. You can't be serious!

Anders Grøndal
10th December 2012, 08:15
I really hope that Fernando and Massa can have a winning car in 2013. I think it`s easier for them to improve if they can get the windtunel working 100%

dj_bytedisaster
10th December 2012, 15:28
I really hope that Fernando and Massa can have a winning car in 2013. I think it`s easier for them to improve if they can get the windtunel working 100%

They should catch up with McLaren and Red Bull. The rules are very stable for next year, so McL and RBR can't really make a lot of steps ahead. If anything, the next season should see the bunch come closer and closer as the season progresses. Unless of course some decide to sod development on the 2013 challenger in favour of a head start for 2014, but Lotus, Sauber or Force India would be the ones to suspect. The top-teams will likely develop deep into the season.

fishinjim
12th December 2012, 17:54
I hear that.

ioan
12th December 2012, 19:30
Sorry to say that you are wrong.

The nose will be lower, the front wings will be smaller and smaller rear wing angle.

Nope, Mia is right, you're wrong:

There have also been several tweaks to the 2014 regulations. The requirement for cars to be driven exclusively under electric power in the pit lane has been postponed until 2017 and changes made to bodywork design, originally aimed at reducing downforce and drag for increased efficiency, have reverted to the 2012 specification. The minimum weight limit has also been raised to compensate for the additional weight of the new 2014 power units.

Formula 1 (http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/12/14151.html)

ioan
12th December 2012, 20:29
Ferrari brought in Alonso to win the title for them. Massa knows that he has no chance against him (see Nurburgring '07 or Malaysia '10). Let's not be stupid about suggesting that Massa will ever win another title with them, nor that Ferrari should treat him better. They gave him an equal playing field in '10.

:laugh:
What about Germany 2010?!
Equal playing field my arse.

kfzmeister
13th December 2012, 04:01
:laugh:
What about Germany 2010?!
Equal playing field my arse.

They gave him an equal playing field in '10. I remember in '10 Alonso, new to the team, hung behind Massa a few races, then took over going into the pits at Malaysia. he clearly established himself as the #1 driver then and never looked back.

Massa had already become number two by then. My quote above pretty clearly states that. No?

kfzmeister
13th December 2012, 04:30
I seriously hope you meant that as a joke :( The day someone lets this despicable waste of skin and organs back into the sport will be the day F1 dies for me. The only track record this low-life scumbag has is perennial corruption and cheating. We're talking about a man, who willingly risked the lives of drivers and mechanics for a second spared in pit-stops (Verstappen, Hockenheim '94) and told drivers to crash on purpose to rig race results. You can't be serious!

Corruption and cheating are a part of F1, surely you are not that naive. Would you have cared, if instead of Piquet it was Karthikayen that crashed that day? I think not. They're ban expires this year (2012). Symonds has been working behind the scenes already. You'll see Briatore on the grid next year as well. Hopefully running things for Ferrari instead of Stefano. :D

Garry Walker
31st January 2013, 13:27
Ferrari should finally give Alonso the best car, then he will bring them the title. If the car is over half a second slower per lap every race than the RB, not even a driver of Alonso's calibre can do anything.