PDA

View Full Version : Should Solberg be in a factory seat for 2013?

Spud303
26th November 2012, 16:25
I've been a huge fan of Petter for years, but I draw the line for 2013. With so many talented young drivers just waiting for there big chance I think its an injustice to the sport for Petter to get a factory seat, he's lost his winning ability and he seems to be doing nothing more than clinging to the dying embers of his WRC career. With the likes of Breen, Paddon, Novikov, Tanak but to name a few who would give their left arm for a factory seat do you think its good for WRC that Solberg should have one in 2013?

RS
26th November 2012, 16:34
Yes, for one or two more years. The others aren't ready yet.

rallyfiend
26th November 2012, 16:38
Yes, for one or two more years. The others aren't ready yet.

Not on the basis of his shambolic efforts of 2012.

gtimad73
26th November 2012, 16:40
I like the guy. But after this year i think he's had his day. He had the chances to win an event this year and he couldn't pull it all together. Maybe he need a new challenge.

Georgi
26th November 2012, 16:54
I think Peter is one of the greatest characters in the Rally Sport.
He must continue in WRC and I believe he can be competitive still.
He just need to focus on finishing more and take more tactics than flat-out rallies.

Abarth
26th November 2012, 17:02
If Nasser will not support Petter for a free ride, Prodrive should.
He is a winner still. The only real character left.

pettersolberg29
26th November 2012, 17:06
To transfer my arguments from elsewhere to here:

For the argument that Petter has lost his speed: Petter won a lot more stages than Ostberg did last year. And Petter won more stages in less rallies in the privateer, well out of date Xsara in 2009 than Ostberg did in a good quality and reliable Fiesta this season. Ostberg simply does not have rally winning pace except in Sweden. And don't bring up the win this season because that was luck and no more, and completely unrelated to pace anyway! No-one else who is availible is ready to take the seat ahead of Petter based on pace.

For those who say he's lost his winning touch: I see your point, but he has the pace to be the best on any given stage. He won an awful lot of stages last year bearing in mind how bad a season it was for him, and if he can combine that pace with consistency then he has the ability to win. He's not as fast as Loeb, but last year he beat Mikko and JML in straight fights, and has beaten Sordo in the past too when Dani was in good machinery. Therefore with Loeb out the picture and if he can get his head in gear he should be podium-ing on most events and should be capable of winning a round or two as well, especially in Greece/GB/Mexico where he's always fast. Yes the lack of win for 7 years is worrying, but Dani hasn't won ever and most would say he has the pace to win events.

For those who put forward young drivers ahead of Petter: What I still don't understand (even without my bias!) is who is available and better? Tanak and Novikov are improving but a team of Ostberg and Tanak/Novikov would struggle to get podiums, let alone wins. I'd guess that if that were the team M-Sport would win less than 30 stages next year, and not win one event. Petter has the speed to still win which very few drivers have. Yes he bins it more often than not, but if the Polo isn't quite up to speed at the start of the season Petter could easily challenge Sordo and Mikko while I doubt Ostberg could even get close - Novikov and Tanak are even further away. Just seems an odd move - fair enough promote Ostberg due to his consistency and good 2012 season, but to lose the only available guy who has world class pace is a bit odd.

My conclusions: If Malcolm chooses anyone over Petter based on ability as opposed to money then he's a fool or a brave man! There is no free driver availible who can even come close to matching his speed - Hanninen and Meeke are the only remotely viable options with sufficient experience. Not to mention the fans and interest Petter brings to WRC.

gtimad73
26th November 2012, 17:29
The problem i see is that if you were to use Meeke, Hanninen or anyone else for that mater, that was paying to drive and they crash your getting cash. If petter drives for free. You get a great driver not at his best but can still win stages. but if he crashes its costing you. money.

Rallyper
26th November 2012, 17:42
It´s nothing wrong having Mads as first driver in M-sport. But losing Petter from the WRC should mean a lot.

How many of you guys have seen Petter live choosing starting position after QS? If you´d been there you´d noticed that no one else gets the publics liking as PS. That mean something you can´t ignore.

So yes for sure Petter should be there. At Ford, as 2nd driver, no problem to that. But he should be in. No one else driver (free at the moment) can take his place by pure speed, or star quality.

Viking
26th November 2012, 17:44
When you as an former champion and still one of the fastest out there are asked to pay 2-3 mill euro for a drive i guess it is time to call it quits and look somewhere else (WTCC or Global Rallycross).

gtimad73
26th November 2012, 17:50
I dont think anyone wants to see him leave the sport. As he's a great guy to have around. But at the moment its hard to make a case for him not having to pay to drive. If he'd won the last to events I'm sure he'd have a contract on his desk. But his season has just not gone as he would of liked. What gets me is he had the car to win, and they both blew it.

Xsara Fan
26th November 2012, 17:57
Petter + Prodrive WRC = I think it`s the best solution both for Petter & WRC

skarderud
26th November 2012, 19:08
I've really have my doubts about Petter vs prodrive. That wasn't a happy divorce.
2.nd in Ford, or something else. Grc/erc or pikes peak?

MrJan
26th November 2012, 19:12
I think the sport is better for having Petter involved, regardless of how quick he is. It all depends who the other drivers in the team are as to whether I think he should be factory backed. Personally I think that Meeke would be a better choice, and could also help get a bit more promotion over here.

Novikov is too inconsistent at the minute in my view. He can be very quick but then he'll bin it in a big way. Or he'll drive to finish and just be plain slow. He's a talent and possibly my favourite driver, but he needs to learn how to bring the car home while still being quick (some would argue the same of Petter).

Tanak is promising too, but I don't think he'll ever be able to take on the likes of Ogier and I don't think he's truly ready yet

I'm really not convinced that there are that many people around to come through at the minute. Although I would happily see Latvala given the cold shoulder in favour of Novikov or Tanak. That said, I haven't really seen much rallying this season, so all I really want to see is anyone that helps get the sport back on its feet...if that Polo is quick I worry that we may have more domination from a man called Seb.

denkimi
26th November 2012, 19:25
the way i see it, these are the people that should get a factory seat. they are ranked, based on how much they (in my opinion) deserve it based on their results in the past.

hirvonen
ogier
latvalla
sordo
ostberg
solberg
mikkelsen
neuville
novikov
hanninen
tanak

so, at first i would have said that he shouldn't be in a factory car.
but considering the fact that there are at least 6 seats available, (and possibly 8 if prodrive finds enough budget) he still deserves it.

pettersolberg29
26th November 2012, 19:36
the way i see it, these are the people that should get a factory seat. they are ranked, based on how much they (in my opinion) deserve it based on their results in the past.

hirvonen
ogier
latvalla
sordo
ostberg
solberg
mikkelsen
neuville
novikov
hanninen
tanak

but considering the fact that there are at least 6 seats available, (and possibly 8 if prodrive finds enough budget) he still deserves it.

I'd move Solberg ahead of Ostberg if purely based on past result as opposed to future potential. Also Hanninen above Novikov at least. But I see your point and therefore agree with you that Petter is deserving of a seat somewhere if its based on talent and not potential or money.

EightGear
26th November 2012, 19:41
Petter + Prodrive WRC = I think it`s the best solution both for Petter & WRC

I would like that. Prodrive should do everything they can to get Petter onboard. He's probably the best driver left.

gtimad73
26th November 2012, 19:49
Again money would be the problem at Pro Drive as they don't have any.

KickenRallySport
26th November 2012, 19:51
Hirvonen, Ogier, Latvala, Sordo, Ostberg, Solberg, Mikkelsen, Neuville, Meeke, Novikov, Andersson, Hanninen.....

EightGear
26th November 2012, 19:53

Yes but at least they won't have to pay Petter.

Prodrive keep saying their aim is to do the whole season. Hopefully they can FINALLY find a proper sponsor.

MJW
26th November 2012, 19:54

Yes, Prodrive would have to fund the car, Petter said he would drive for free. Lets see how effective Prodrive's business managers will be at getting a sponsor to fund it. No doubting Petter's charisma and sponsor appeal from a PR point if view. Now with a global promoter in place perhaps Prodrive can get a sponsor.

Wim_Impreza
26th November 2012, 19:56

hirvonen
ogier
latvalla
sordo
ostberg
solberg
mikkelsen
neuville
novikov
hanninen
tanak

Hirvonen isn't faster than Ogier and Latvala, he is only more consistent.

Mikkelsen isn't faster than Hänninen which we saw in the IRC many times.

In my opinion, Petter has shown that he can't win a WRC rally anymore and he had a lot of accidents and punctures when he is so experienced, it just shows it is time to try another form of motorsport. I am sure he could have a lot of fun in rallycross, rallyraid or circuit racing.

rage82
26th November 2012, 20:17
I really like Juho, but he hasn't drive a WRC car yet and we don't know what his speed is against the others top drivers. So I don't think that he deserves a factory seat but he definitely deserves a chance to drive a WRC car.

gtimad73
26th November 2012, 20:26
With out drifting off topic Juho does deserve a drive somewhere.

Barreis
26th November 2012, 20:29
P.Solberg should be in works seat before Ostberg, Tanak and especially Novikov. This was first season in ford after many years and it was difficult. But money turns the world around.

Xsara Fan
26th November 2012, 21:41
P.Solberg should be in works seat before Ostberg, Tanak and especially Novikov. This was first season in ford after many years and it was difficult. But money turns the world around.

Petter was a WORLD CHAMPION. And in works team he got a second driver role. If he can`t be a good second driver (as was Mikko in 2006-2007) when he is a champion, then he is not a good driver now. It`s time to let young guns play this role.

Nobody will give works seat now to Makinen, Kankkunen or Sainz. Anyone of them is a great driver. But generation has change and we had era of Loeb, Gronholm & Solberg. Now we see another change...

Mirek
26th November 2012, 22:09
I really like Juho, but he hasn't drive a WRC car yet and we don't know what his speed is against the others top drivers. So I don't think that he deserves a factory seat but he definitely deserves a chance to drive a WRC car.

Juho actually drove WRC and it wasn't bad considering it was two years before he joined Škoda ;) But yes, that's more a piece of curious history than a relevant thing. Anyway current WRC cars are same with S2000 cars except more power and better aerodynamics. It's no big step and no big difference for a capable driver. Except real rallies Juho drove also Polo WRC by the way.

tfp
26th November 2012, 22:53
For next year, IMO theres no one that can replace Petter yet. Ostberg is getting there, but he isnt as fast as Petter. Yes, choose Petter for the factory seat next year, but we need to see results. He needs a win next year, or to finish maybe third or fourth in the championship, if not, then I'd vote him off the seat, especially as the younger drivers are getting better and better.

Nelly
26th November 2012, 23:03
For next year, IMO theres no one that can replace Petter yet. Ostberg is getting there, but he isnt as fast as Petter. Yes, choose Petter for the factory seat next year, but we need to see results. He needs a win next year, or to finish maybe third or fourth in the championship, if not, then I'd vote him off the seat, especially as the younger drivers are getting better and better.

You have to remember that mads didn't have a works spec car or a proper testing program this year, if you were spectating on day 1 in Spain this year you wouldn't say he's not proper fast

Rallyper
26th November 2012, 23:03
Petter was a WORLD CHAMPION. And in works team he got a second driver role. If he can`t be a good second driver (as was Mikko in 2006-2007) when he is a champion, then he is not a good driver now. It`s time to let young guns play this role.

Nobody will give works seat now to Makinen, Kankkunen or Sainz. Anyone of them is a great driver. But generation has change and we had era of Loeb, Gronholm & Solberg. Now we see another change...

Maybe a solution would be a swap between Petter and Novikov if results show that would be the best, let´s say after half season?

tfp
26th November 2012, 23:12
You have to remember that mads didn't have a works spec car or a proper testing program this year, if you were spectating on day 1 in Spain this year you wouldn't say he's not proper fast

True....But Mads is the only driver I would put in the same league as Petter (that is linked to the factory ford seats, obviously) and I hope its a hollywood/mad mads combo next year. I wouldnt see past this pairing personally. But, if theres one thing we know about MW, hes not frightened to take a risk.

tfp
26th November 2012, 23:16
Maybe a solution would be a swap between Petter and Novikov if results show that would be the best, let´s say after half season?

Sounds good to me, and it would be good for the fans to see them fight for the seat to prove who is best. But it may also result in crashes, I think both drivers have seen their fair share of the road side of a SS!

Xsara Fan
26th November 2012, 23:35

It`s difficult to compare results between factory and private drivers. They have very different cars.

Xsara Fan
26th November 2012, 23:39
Sounds good to me, and it would be good for the fans to see them fight for the seat to prove who is best. But it may also result in crashes, I think both drivers have seen their fair share of the road side of a SS!

Why would Novikov agree with this proposal? He has budget and at least 4 different teams for 2013: factory Ford, private Ford, private Citroen, factory Mini. Why would Evgeny must play strange game "beat Petter > get place in Ford"?

pettersolberg29
27th November 2012, 00:12
A little question I have for people: how many podiums would a team of Ostberg and Novikov/Tanak get next season, and how many wins? And how many for Ostberg and Petter?

With Ostberg and Novikov/Tanak I'd say 4 podiums, 0 wins. With Ostberg and Petter I'd say around 10 podiums and possibly a win in the first half of the season if the Polo isn't up to speed yet.

M-Sport are not going to win the driver or manufacturer title next year, that is fact. So their aim has to be individual results and wins. Only Petter has any potential to offer this.

Xsara Fan
27th November 2012, 00:51
A little question I have for people: how many podiums would a team of Ostberg and Novikov/Tanak get next season, and how many wins? And how many for Ostberg and Petter?

With Ostberg and Novikov/Tanak I'd say 4 podiums, 0 wins. With Ostberg and Petter I'd say around 10 podiums and possibly a win in the first half of the season if the Polo isn't up to speed yet.

M-Sport are not going to win the driver or manufacturer title next year, that is fact. So their aim has to be individual results and wins. Only Petter has any potential to offer this.

A little question I have for you: how many podiums got Petter in 2012 season, and how many wins? And how many for Ostberg?

After your answer think - why Petter will be quicker and why he will get more podiums/wins than Mads in 2013?

pettersolberg29
27th November 2012, 01:30
A little question I have for you: how many podiums got Petter in 2012 season, and how many wins? And how many for Ostberg?

After your answer think - why Petter will be quicker and why he will get more podiums/wins than Mads in 2013?

In 2012 Mads got 3 podiums and Petter got 5 so Petter actually got more podiums even in his worst season since the start of his career. Mads got one win, which was due to a ridiculous penalty for Mikko and in a rally where several cars retired - in terms of pace he was nowhere near to winning last season.

But anyway, you can't base it on last season alone. Petter has not become a terrible driver over one season. If we do it over the past 3 seasons, in which Petter was a privateer in 2 of those, Petter has 17 podiums. Mads has 5.

I don't understand why anyone thinks Mads is more likely to win than Petter unless there are 5 retirements.

sollitt
27th November 2012, 01:30
With Petter there is a known quantity. Unfortunately that quantity is continued failure. It's time to chance the arm with exciting new talent that will bring results not continue the mistakes of the past.
The next Ari Vatanen, Colin McRae or Seb Loeb is probably already in our midst but we'll never know, or get to experience the joys, unless we give them the shot.

Toyoda
27th November 2012, 03:04
With Petter there is a known quantity. Unfortunately that quantity is continued failure. It's time to chance the arm with exciting new talent that will bring results not continue the mistakes of the past.
The next Ari Vatanen, Colin McRae or Seb Loeb is probably already in our midst but we'll never know, or get to experience the joys, unless we give them the shot.

and his name is Hayden Paddon...biased of course :)

sollitt
27th November 2012, 03:34
and his name is Hayden Paddon...biased of course :) Amongst others ... and no bias at all.

Spud303
27th November 2012, 04:52
This is EXACTLY the point I'm making and to those who make the point that Petter is the greatest character in wrc, I 100% agree and for that reason he would be a huge loss, but what is better for wrc, The rise of a new talent to the forefront of the sport, or Petters fantastic Character?
Bear in mind his character was enhanced by his amazing battles with rivals through out the years. My opinion is that I want the young guys to have a chance to form great rivalries and battle like Petter has in his career. That forms Character. That makes rally really exciting again. (In my opinion)

BDA Cosworth
27th November 2012, 07:56
Amongst others ... and no bias at all.

He's with my ex girlfriend and I'm still a big believer in him!!!!! lol. (how many of you guys could say that?)

There is no substitute for real talent and a winning attitude. He's a good bloke that deserves to be in the WRC. Maybe not quite yet, but after prooving himself in selected WRC drives like Neuville had.

Viking
27th November 2012, 08:22
I don't think for an moment Petter is the Østbergs favorite for the second seat either, they fish in the same sponsor marked...

rage82
27th November 2012, 09:51
Juho actually drove WRC and it wasn't bad considering it was two years before he joined Škoda ;) But yes, that's more a piece of curious history than a relevant thing. Anyway current WRC cars are same with S2000 cars except more power and better aerodynamics. It's no big step and no big difference for a capable driver. Except real rallies Juho drove also Polo WRC by the way.

I know that Juho has driven WRC car before, but I mean an actual 1.6l car. You are right of course that the transition between s2000 and wrc car isn't big, but my point was that first you have to prove your speed in that kind of car before getting a factory seat.

A FONDO
27th November 2012, 09:58
After Peter crashed in Spain at the very same place as last year, I reckon he is completely over for this sport.

GustavK
27th November 2012, 10:13
After Peter crashed in Spain at the very same place as last year, I reckon he is completely over for this sport.
Actually, it wasn't excactly the same place. But I agree with you, I think Petter's time in WRC is over, unfortunately.

Brother John
27th November 2012, 16:18
When you as an former champion and still one of the fastest out there are asked to pay 2-3 mill euro for a drive i guess it is time to call it quits and look somewhere else (WTCC or Global Rallycross).

I agree completely with Viking and especially with Global Rallycross he can keep his name well-know.

A FONDO
27th November 2012, 17:13
One more thing to say and I stop attacking Solberg. I see several people contending he deserves a drive just because he was a champion 10 years ago with 1 point advantage. So, are Gronholm and Hirvonen less deserving than him just because they missed it for 1 point? (Retoric)

sollitt
27th November 2012, 18:59
... but my point was that first you have to prove your speed in that kind of car before getting a factory seat.If that theory was applied historically neither Loeb nor Ogier would have gotten a factory seat. The fact is a competitors speed and competitiveness should be evident regardless of what they're driving.
Of course the whole thing would be a lot easier if the WRC formula was a car that privateers could both gain access to and afford.

Barreis
27th November 2012, 19:07
This sport needs Solberg 'cos he's good ambassador of it.

pettersolberg29
27th November 2012, 20:11
One more thing to say and I stop attacking Solberg. I see several people contending he deserves a drive just because he was a champion 10 years ago with 1 point advantage. So, are Gronholm and Hirvonen less deserving than him just because they missed it for 1 point? (Retoric)

Has anyone said that? If so they're wrong. But Petter does deserve it based on past performance. The title means nothing now, but his perforrmances over the past 3 seasons have been much better than anyone except Loeb, Mikko, JML, Ogier and possibly Sordo. All the others have seats/are retiring so Petter is the next best option.

This sport needs Solberg 'cos he's good ambassador of it.

Agreed. Even for those who don't think he should be in a top team for whatever reason, the WRC needs him in my opinion. He's the only character left in it, and he's rapid too. People like Henning, Nobre etc are characters but nowehere near the top. A chance of a win for Petter and interest in WRC peaks.

sollitt
27th November 2012, 20:16
A chance of a win for Petter and interest in WRC peaks.A year ago I would have agreed. But too many mistakes and disappointing failures have negated any sparked interest. Time to move on.

Daniel
27th November 2012, 23:29
If that theory was applied historically neither Loeb nor Ogier would have gotten a factory seat. The fact is a competitors speed and competitiveness should be evident regardless of what they're driving.
Of course the whole thing would be a lot easier if the WRC formula was a car that privateers could both gain access to and afford.

Yes, because neither of them showed ANY speed before they hopped into a WRCar :rolleyes:

tfp
27th November 2012, 23:37
Why would Novikov agree with this proposal? He has budget and at least 4 different teams for 2013: factory Ford, private Ford, private Citroen, factory Mini. Why would Evgeny must play strange game "beat Petter > get place in Ford"?

Its a good chance for Evgeny, and a fair one I think, prove who is the fastest and who ever can deliver the results earns the factory seat, and then theres no need for Evgenys budget.
I think Petter would come out on top in that battle, but if Evgeny is faster I'll gladly hold my hand up and say I was wrong. Hats off to Novikov if he can do it!

Toyoda
28th November 2012, 00:22
From watching Novikov in NZ, he seemed super-sideways compared to even Tanak and Solberg. In terms of a character I think he is up there with Solberg, real good guy to talk to. Great sense of humour.
I just worry he is a bit side ways, in saying that he seemed to be alot smoother than Solberg and Tanak....
To me Neuville seems to be the next best in the second-tier group.
I think its a shame we haven't seen Meekes and Hanninen in a WRC session. I hope we see Paddon...
Im guessing the choice will also be based on more testing of different drivers with the Fiesta.
Did any one notice the wording of the press release mentions Osberg as a point scoring car so not necessary number one car.

rage82
28th November 2012, 13:08
In 2000 Loeb has driven Toyota Corolla WRC in tour de Corse and Sanremo and he has shown his speed on this events with that kind of car. And in 2002 he was third factory driver something impossible these days. Ogier also was first in Citroen Junior team and after his great results in 2009 and 2010 he was promoted to the factory team in 2011. So Seb Loeb and Seb Ogier both had proven their speed before receive a factory seat.

rage82
28th November 2012, 13:12
If that theory was applied historically neither Loeb nor Ogier would have gotten a factory seat. The fact is a competitors speed and competitiveness should be evident regardless of what they're driving.

In 2000 Loeb has driven Toyota Corolla WRC in tour de Corse and Sanremo and he has shown his speed on this events with that kind of car. And in 2002 he was third factory driver something impossible these days. Ogier also was first in Citroen Junior team and after his great results in 2009 and 2010 he was promoted to the factory team in 2011. So Seb Loeb and Seb Ogier both had proven their speed before receive a factory seat.

Daniel
28th November 2012, 14:08
Don't listen to Solitt, he claims to be heavily involved in rallying yet comes across like someone who has watched The Vatanen Too and thinks he knows everything about rallying :)

MJW
28th November 2012, 19:44
My thoughts on the matter. Petter has charisma and a lot of support, especially during the PSWRT days, I think that within the Ford corporate environment that didnt come accross so obviously. Also WRC needed Petter after the 2008 team departures the championship needed PSWRT team truck and it was parked in manufacturer area if service park. With the likes of Ogier and Neuville etc coming up and Petter now 38, which incidentally was the age Colin and Marcus retired and the age that Loeb is becoming part time, maybe it is an ideal age for Petter to start another career. I'm sure GRC European Rallycross, X Games and Pikes Peak would love Petter.

stefanvv
28th November 2012, 20:14
Ok, Solberg was running his own private team for several years till this one. I admire his passion to do this, it is not for everyone probably. He used to say if this year he is not in factory team, he would quit WRC. Frankly I was expecting more from him this year with all the burden to manage his team and compete in the same time taken off his shoulders. I don't see how this could change for the future. He has unique personality, true, I have nothing against he will continue in WRC in a factory team, but after this year I don't see how this will become any better. Apart from his mistakes on the road (unlucky or not), and Ford's not so good tacktics sometimes, he seem to make more mistakes with setup his car properly, we saw that on few occasions. Perhaps it is time to do something else indeed. It was nice to have him around though...

PanosB
29th November 2012, 09:59
Most of you in here have decided that Petter has to retire from the WRC. Just consider the environment he had to drive all year with Malcolm 1000% behind JML always supporting him and coming harsh on Petter when he had a retirement. There is no love lost between those two.. a lot of things happened 12 years ago when he left Ford in the middle of the season and that will never change no matter what. Its not easy to drive like this on the highest level possible when you have in the back of your mind that if you crash you have to deal with that ass.....le Malcolm back in the service park waiting to bust your balls... after all rallying is about driving on the limit and mostly over it and there a lot of things can happen really quick..The late Richard Burns has once said "when you finish a stage and the car is intact you are just not trying hard enough" But Petter in 2012 was always on the pace of the works drivers maybe sometimes the faster of the four just see his performance in rally GB(not fastest there but a really solid performance) . In my opinion Petter did not have fun and was not feeling relaxed in 2012 not like the 3 years before as a privateer and this is the only reason he had a bad year which is evident by just comparing his results as a privateer and as a Malcolm driver. and i think that is why M-Sport never won the drivers championship because of Malcolm's management and not letting his drivers feel relaxed, after all they are professional the best in the world with experience and they know what they are doing. Anyway i think contrary to Petter's comments that he will not pay to drive his best option is to become a privateer again try to find a lot of sponsors go back to the DS3 and rock the WRC and he will be right there fighting never giving up and we all would love him for that..

Rallyper
29th November 2012, 14:19
It was also his very wish to beat Loeb once. In greece he was just7-10 secs after SL before the hazardous PS. I talked to Petter the day before and I know how much he wanted to beat Loeb. And he really tried on that very last stage.

Everyone knows how it ended up. But credits to a big sportsman who really tried at every moment being the fastest. Not achieved it but did make impressions to all connaisseurs of what rallying really is.

Petter should stay in WRC in 2013. If we loose him, a big gap in the soul of WRC will appear...

PanosB
29th November 2012, 15:06
I talked to Petter the day before and I know how much he wanted to beat Loeb. And he really tried on that very last stage.

i think he can beat Loeb

Mirek
29th November 2012, 15:17
7 years, around 100 attempts. Only some four remaining...

PanosB
29th November 2012, 15:33
7 years, around 100 attempts. Only some four remaining...

4 of them with crap subaru
3 as a privateer
1 year with the ford (new car bad team)

Mirek
29th November 2012, 15:42
So bad team that JML and even privateer Ostberg won with it... Face the truth, what prevented Petter from winning an event last year was his own mistakes, not the car or the team.

Rallyper
29th November 2012, 15:43
So bad team that JML and even privateer Ostberg won with it... Face the truth, what prevented Petter from winning an event last year was his own mistakes, not the car or the team.

No one can denie that. But why the mistakes? No other driver dared to try like Petter.

dimviii
29th November 2012, 15:53
No one can denie that. But why the mistakes? No other driver dared to try like Petter.
Per thats Petters problem,tried harder than he could.Out of limits.After a decade at wrc he must know it.

Rallyper
29th November 2012, 16:00
Yes, he should have learned where limits are, even though his references varied with different cars and teams. But still he deserves a factory seat for 2013, no matter what.

dimviii
29th November 2012, 16:21
Yes, he should have learned where limits are, even though his references varied with different cars and teams. But still he deserves a factory seat for 2013, no matter what.

while you confirm that he had to learned his limits after 10 years,you said that he deserves another chance.No time for rest.Youngsters awaiting.

dimviii
29th November 2012, 16:22
3 as a privateer

so what he could do with another year in a bad team?

Rallyper
29th November 2012, 17:30
while you confirm that he had to learned his limits after 10 years,you said that he deserves another chance.No time for rest.Youngsters awaiting.

You have to see the whole picture. And that´s why Petter has to be in 2013. Youngsters proven to be fast and winners of WRC-rounds are just a few and already in teams. I think of Tanak, Neuville, Mikkelsen, Novikov. Yet they have to prove they are good enough to win rounds...

pino
29th November 2012, 17:35
Should Solberg be in a factory team in 2013 ? Yes ! He's still very fast and he's also a very nice person, period !

;)

stefanvv
29th November 2012, 17:37
You have to see the whole picture. And that´s why Petter has to be in 2013. Youngsters proven to be fast and winners of WRC-rounds are just a few and already in teams. I think of Tanak, Neuville, Mikkelsen, Novikov. Yet they have to prove they are good enough to win rounds...

I hate to say that, but Solberg hasn't won for a long, long time I think...

dimviii
29th November 2012, 17:47

Per for me the whole picture is.....if Petter compete again at 2013 and has same results,its bad for him and his image-reputation struggle to find the right word.Is better to remember him as a world champion that at last years faded something is completely physical.Same was for KKK,Colin etc.

Mirek
29th November 2012, 18:16

Seriously tell me how many managed to win a WRC event before they got to manufacturer seat? You can't wait for miracle to happen keeping something which proved not successful. Every rally legend had once to be given a chance and every one of them has to leave one day for good of new blood. It's natural.

AndyRAC
29th November 2012, 20:12
Seriously tell me how many managed to win a WRC event before they got to manufacturer seat? You can't wait for miracle to happen keeping something which proved not successful. Every rally legend had once to be given a chance and every one of them has to leave one day for good of new blood. It's natural.

Ah but your missing the point... Petter is the WRC. He brings more fans than all the rest put together...... ;)

Er, no - this fact is always overstated.... as though it justifies his right to a drive year on year. Saying that, I do love his enthusiasm/passion for the sport.

I personally think he still has decent speed - maybe he needs to accept he's now a No2 - and drive like one. There were far too many silly mistakes this year - when good results were on the cards. If he doesn't get a drive this year - I'm afraid it's his own fault.

Padowa
29th November 2012, 20:35
3 as a privateer

Why do you say bad team? Can you explain in detail?

PanosB
29th November 2012, 21:19
so what he could do with another year in a bad team?
Nothing! Read my earlier post I strongly believe he should leave M-Sport and be a privateer again
With a DS3 as he was and he was having better results that way in a non works car

PanosB
29th November 2012, 21:30
JML has been with this team for 5 years now has developed the fiesta since birth and was Wilson's loved one as for Ostberg he won because Hirvonen was DQed not because he was the fastest. And how many times did this team make tactic errors on Fridays which count the most? Too many I am afraid.. If they didn't blew it the team would have won more rallies. This is also a team sport you know where a lot of people in a team play a big role.. It's not just the driver..

Mirek
29th November 2012, 21:45
Of course, it's not just the driver but if he has least points of three despite starting on highest number of rallies, the problem is in the driver. This discussion about so obvious thing is pointless so that I will not continue repeating myself.

Padowa
29th November 2012, 21:49
Petter didn't crash as much as a privateer because he was paying the bills. With M-Sport paying the repair bills he pushed harder to beat Loeb fact.

PanosB
29th November 2012, 21:55
Of course, it's not just the driver but if he has least points of three despite starting on highest number of rallies, the problem is in the driver. This discussion about so obvious thing is pointless so that I will not continue repeating myself.
Why did he finished 3rd in 2010 as a privateer??

Viking
29th November 2012, 21:59
With M-Sport paying the repair bills he pushed harder to beat Loeb fact.

Repair bills? it usually was the 5 pund part "front cross member" okay that is prob 10 000 pund part if you are a privateer :)

bluuford
29th November 2012, 22:15
83 replays in couple of days... I looks like if Petter becomes 85 years old and he crashes in all the races he partizipates when he is still 84, then there will be another similar thread.. Petter need one more proper chanche! OMG!

Markko told something like this once.. When you are not able to become WC in fisrt couple of years as a factory driver then there is very little hope that you ever will.
Look back ti the history.
1. Solberg was Champion in 2003.. after that.. 9 years of trying
2. Burns became Champion in 2001. after that.. some trying but no more success + cruel fait (R.I.P)
3. Gronholm was Champion in 2000 and 2002.. after that.... some years of trying but no more success
4. Mäkinen was Champion 1996-1999.. after that.. some years of trying but no more success
5. McRae was Champion in 1995.. after that.. many years of trying but no more success (R.I.P)
6.. The list continues as it started..

Barreis
29th November 2012, 22:20
Well then we can hope that Latvala and Hirvonen will soon leave WRC 'cos they'te in works teams for years and didn't succeed. :D

skarderud
29th November 2012, 23:30
Ford did lots of weird tactiks this year, i think that also count alot for both Petter and jml, as they try to do the best of it after the (team) error.

Rallyper
30th November 2012, 01:25
I hate to say that, but Solberg hasn't won for a long, long time I think...

I didn´t say that. But Petter still has the speed in a whole rally to win.

Rallyper
30th November 2012, 01:29
Per for me the whole picture is.....if Petter compete again at 2013 and has same results,its bad for him and his image-reputation struggle to find the right word.Is better to remember him as a world champion that at last years faded something is completely physical.Same was for KKK,Colin etc.

Well, Colin didn´t have the speed when he competed last years. Not like Petter whom still has speed to win. For sure he has had his peak. But will still be remembered as the man he was, even competing in 2013.

stefanvv
30th November 2012, 06:45
Well then we can hope that Latvala and Hirvonen will soon leave WRC 'cos they'te in works teams for years and didn't succeed. :D

Pfff. If this rule must be obeyed, WRC 2013 factory drivers should be only Loeb, Tanak, Neuville, Al Attyah and... Nobre. Now I think Loeb has chance for 10th title with doing 4 Rallies :D

Antony Warmbold
30th November 2012, 08:07
Pfff. If this rule must be obeyed, WRC 2013 factory drivers should be only Loeb, Tanak, Neuville, Al Attyah and... Nobre. Now I think Loeb has chance for 10th title with doing 4 Rallies :D

I just have to jump in here and agree with you :p

My guess is he'll end up doing more events than expected when they see he can actually be champion.

Plan9
30th November 2012, 08:40
Agree too. I don't think they could make Loeb move over for Mikko to be honest.

Mintexmemory
30th November 2012, 10:08
Agree too. I don't think they could make Loeb move over for Mikko to be honest.
Marvellous, Citroen have a team of joint No2s!!! Their natural destiny is to move over when told - will we see them both booking in to TC early to let each other go first? After the Loeb Monte win (come on can anyone see any other result?) he will watch Citroen struggle to stay with whichever Polo performs best on the event. The only thing that will bring Loeb back earlier then Germany is if the VW team aren't in 1-2 position already.

Antony Warmbold
30th November 2012, 12:45
Marvellous, Citroen have a team of joint No2s!!! Their natural destiny is to move over when told - will we see them both booking in to TC early to let each other go first? After the Loeb Monte win (come on can anyone see any other result?) he will watch Citroen struggle to stay with whichever Polo performs best on the event. The only thing that will bring Loeb back earlier then Germany is if the VW team aren't in 1-2 position already.

What I'm really looking forward to is the future "Loeb comeback" once he sees Ogier is getting waaaaay too much attention from the French media.

Mintexmemory
30th November 2012, 12:58
I hamfistedly tried to raise this issue a week ago and screwed-up on my post. Who will the French get behind Citrioen or Ogier ?

dimviii
30th November 2012, 12:58
Marvellous, Citroen have a team of joint No2s!!! Their natural destiny is to move over when told - will we see them both booking in to TC early to let each other go first? .

lolololol

dimviii
30th November 2012, 12:59
What I'm really looking forward to is the future "Loeb comeback" once he sees Ogier is getting waaaaay too much attention from the French media.

yes Loeb is a person who is searching for attention from media.......

dimviii
30th November 2012, 13:38
Petter blaming Patterson.Hope its not truth...
Autonews Magazine » Rallye international WRC » Pas très élégant le Petter (http://www.autonews-magazine.com/blog/?p=27590)

tommeke_B
30th November 2012, 13:46
@Dimvii, it's from a magazine with a good reputation, they don't publish rubbish news.

I'll translate his quote:
“Jusqu’au milieu de la saison, je me battais devant. Je suis déçu de ma deuxième moitié de saison. Et les résultats des trois dernières épreuves, en partie à cause de mon copilote et un peu de ma faute, ont complètement gâché les statistiques…”

"Until the middle of the season, I was battling in front. I'm disappointed about my second half of the season. And the results of the last three events, partly caused by my codriver and a bit my fault, have completely ruined the statistics..."

Not really nice from him... It's not the codriver who creates a puncture by deciding to throw the car completley sideways 15m before a fast corner while it's not neccesary... Also the notes are made up by the driver, Chris Patterson has to read them. Was there any case where Petter crashed this year because a note was being read wrong or too late?

stefanvv
30th November 2012, 14:01
Eeeeh, Peter, Peter....

pettersolberg29
30th November 2012, 14:07
@Dimvii, it's from a magazine with a good reputation, they don't publish rubbish news.

I'll translate his quote:
“Jusqu’au milieu de la saison, je me battais devant. Je suis déçu de ma deuxième moitié de saison. Et les résultats des trois dernières épreuves, en partie à cause de mon copilote et un peu de ma faute, ont complètement gâché les statistiques…”

"Until the middle of the season, I was battling in front. I'm disappointed about my second half of the season. And the results of the last three events, partly caused by my codriver and a bit my fault, have completely ruined the statistics..."

Not really nice from him... It's not the codriver who creates a puncture by deciding to throw the car completley sideways 15m before a fast corner while it's not neccesary... Also the notes are made up by the driver, Chris Patterson has to read them. Was there any case where Petter crashed this year because a note was being read wrong or too late?

Not nice but in France it was a co-driver error, and there was another rally where Chris said 'cut' instead of 'don't cut' which led to a puncture. Still think it's a bit wrong to blame the co-driver but there is at least a small amount supporting the moan!

Mintexmemory
30th November 2012, 14:10
Well, that looks like Chris will be looking for a new seat next year! How to dismantle a reputation in 4 easy stages (SS1 Spain, SS1 Sardinia, SS1 France, SS1 Germany..... and yes I know that these were not necessarily the stages he had problems on but it is meant to be humour!)

A.F.F.
30th November 2012, 21:31

Counts for your time in the forum as well :)

noel157
30th November 2012, 22:43
Counts for your time in the forum as well :)

True...LOL ..... :)

Padowa
1st December 2012, 20:08
Nothing! Read my earlier post I strongly believe he should leave M-Sport and be a privateer again
With a DS3 as he was and he was having better results that way in a non works car

Do you know he is not allowed to beat factory DS3 in a customer DS3. So his best chance is being in a Ford.

Prisoner Monkeys
3rd December 2012, 01:56
Honestly, I have no idea why Solberg got a factory seat to begin with this year. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire for a while now.

pettersolberg29
3rd December 2012, 02:51
Honestly, I have no idea why Solberg got a factory seat to begin with this year. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire for a while now.

Maybe because for 2 seasons he was the most successful privateer, and got podiums through pace alone when other drivers were nowhere near. Who else would/could Ford have hired last season?

grugsticles
3rd December 2012, 05:57
He should have a seat for the simple reason that there are minimal other options out there.
Although he is defiantly past his prime the guy is still fast enough, which is probably due to the way the WRC has been operating win the last 10+ years in regard to young drivers.

noel157
3rd December 2012, 14:23

There was a good reason he got the seat, well, actually 1 million good reasons...........

Plan9
4th December 2012, 06:45
@Noel157: I hope he has another 1 million reasons in his pocket now. Is there even a slim change he could get something with Prodrive?

Prisoner Monkeys
4th December 2012, 08:31
There was a good reason he got the seat, well, actually 1 million good reasons...........
On a certain level, I suppose Ford were just making the best of a bad situation. Tanak, Novikov and Ostberg weren't ready to join the works teams just yet, and there wasn't really anyone else who could fill in the gap.

noel157
4th December 2012, 08:50
@Noel157: I hope he has another 1 million reasons in his pocket now. Is there even a slim change he could get something with Prodrive?

Yep, hope he can buy seat somewhere, Prodrive or M-Sport don't do charity/give seats, it's all business these days.
Unless of course Citroen Norway do something or DR manages to find a large sponsor or Petter gathers a group of backers together but after his last private effort that would be difficult.
I'm sure he's still got plenty of his Subaru pay-off money left so if he could put aside his pride he could be sitting on the start ramp at RMC.

Xsara Fan
4th December 2012, 08:56
On a certain level, I suppose Ford were just making the best of a bad situation. Tanak, Novikov and Ostberg weren't ready to join the works teams just yet, and there wasn't really anyone else who could fill in the gap.

OMG. Tell me please, when will Mads, Evgeny or Ott be ready to join the works team? After first title? After second title? In 2056? When?

tommeke_B
4th December 2012, 09:10
OMG. Tell me please, when will Mads, Evgeny or Ott be ready to join the works team? After first title? After second title? In 2056? When?
Well, in fact... Tanak never drove a WRC-car before this year. And be honest, Evgeny Novikov has never shown much consistency before this year, something that improved a lot this year.
For next year I completely agree with you. ;)

stefanvv
4th December 2012, 09:24
Well, in fact... Tanak never drove a WRC-car before this year. And be honest, Evgeny Novikov has never shown much consistency before this year, something that improved a lot this year.

Actually Tanak drove D-Mack Fiesta WRC in GB 2011, and did quite well. But one can't judge from just one Rally :)

tommeke_B
4th December 2012, 09:26
Actually Tanak drove D-Mack Fiesta WRC in GB 2011, and did quite well. But you can't judge from just one Rally :)

Exactly, you shouldn't make decisions based on one event, that's gambling...
Ogier did very good in Wales 2008, but in the 2009 season it showed that he still lacked a lot of experience with a WRC-car.

Mintexmemory
4th December 2012, 09:33

Novikov's consistency happened the moment Denis Giraudet started co-driving him and has continued despite the injury to Denis. It seems he now 'gets it'.