PDA

View Full Version : Thanks and Goodbye?

steveaki13
25th November 2012, 18:28
Just thought I would say thanks and goodbye to Michael Schumacher after a gritty drive for his last ever F1 race, he has been a great driver and I will miss his influence in F1.

Also I would like to say goodbye to HRT, if the rumours are true and we have seen the last of this team. I know some dont like the, but they have been an F1 team and now face the same fate as so many others. Goodbye HRT.

jens
25th November 2012, 18:44
Thanks and goodbye to Schumacher and HRT indeed. :) In addition - probably to Kobayashi, Kovalainen (?), Senna, de la Rosa, Karthikeyan, Petrov (??) as well.

A pity about Kobayashi. He put in a fighting drive in his usual attacking self. And this may have been the last time we saw him in action like that. :(

i_max2k2
25th November 2012, 19:06
It will be sad to see so may names going away, I hope Koby can come back in a competitive package. I will dearly miss Schumi, but this is his time to go, so glad to have seem his career for this long, truly a great!

steveaki13
25th November 2012, 19:08
I think we have seen the last of De La Rosa, Karthikeyan & Petrov for sure, but you never know about the others they may re appear at some point even just for the odd race

The Black Knight
25th November 2012, 19:16
It's strange to be saying goodbye to Schumacher again. Six years ago I was devastated when he retired. Now, I think his time has finally come. He is, without doubt, the best driver I have seen in F1 since I began watching the sport back in 88 or so. Some people regard Senna as the best of all time. I regard Senna as the fastest but Schumacher as the most complete driver I have ever seen on any grid. He was sensational and truly worthy of his position in the pantheon of F1's best ever drivers. I truly wish him well in the future and hopefully see him at a few races every now and then.

As for the rest, the only one I'm bothered about saying goodbye to is Senna. I think he deserves an extra year in F1. He has had a rough road to get here and I feel he was improving all the time throughout the year. I sincerely hope he gets another shot.

Sad to see HRT probably go as well. The outlook is bleak, but then again it was this way for Honda in 2008 too and look what happened there ;)

jens
25th November 2012, 19:59
As for the rest, the only one I'm bothered about saying goodbye to is Senna. I think he deserves an extra year in F1. He has had a rough road to get here and I feel he was improving all the time throughout the year. I sincerely hope he gets another shot.

Unfortunately I disagree. Aside from Karthikeyan, I'd say he was the worst driver of the season. In a really good car often qualifying around 17th-18th. I know he was unfortunate to lose so many years of racing in his teens, but he is never going to get those years back. And as it is - while Bruno is not embarrasing on F1 level, he is not really fast enough to really cut it there. He reminds me of Kazuki Nakajima.

driveace
25th November 2012, 20:24
Whilst a lot of the guys mentioned above have performed badly this year,some of the equipment they have had at their disposal have also been second rate too .What I would like to see is some one like Hamilton or Vettel have a days testing in the Caterhams,and HRTs and then see what sorts of times they can do in the same cars,as what these other guys have been trying to hustle round the tracks this year .

steveaki13
26th November 2012, 19:46
You do tend to find its the drivers who have never been at the back that moan most about the backmarkers, as they have no experience of that end of F1.

Others like Button & Alonso just for example should understand more of that as they raced for Benetton & Minardi at the back in 2001.

MarekP
26th November 2012, 21:22
Thanks and goodbye to Schumacher and HRT indeed. :) In addition - probably to Kobayashi, Kovalainen (?), Senna, de la Rosa, Karthikeyan, Petrov (??) as well.

A pity about Kobayashi. He put in a fighting drive in his usual attacking self. And this may have been the last time we saw him in action like that. :(

I hope Petrov will be next season in better team then Lotus. I hoped he go into Sauber instead of Sergio, but Hulk is good too.

Roamy
27th November 2012, 07:45
Great - Get some new blood in here. Perez has really been the only bright spot in years

zako85
27th November 2012, 08:15
I think we have seen the last of De La Rosa, Karthikeyan & Petrov for sure, but you never know about the others they may re appear at some point even just for the odd race

There was an article days ago that Petrov may have obtained a new sponsor in Russia. His team manager mentioned that besides Caterham, they were talking to two other teams. So I hope we will see more of Petrov in future, even if not necessarily this year.

Malbec
27th November 2012, 21:24

How many chances does a driver need before people are convinced he's simply never going to impress?

HRT, Renault and now Williams. Do you really want him around in F1 for a fourth year preventing better drivers from getting a foothold in F1?

Its telling that despite bringing $10 million to the table Williams are kicking him out for a rookie and he's having difficulty finding another seat. That says everything for me really.

Very sad seeing Schumacher go but this time it feels like he's reached the natural end of the road and he seems satisfied with his decision.

Shame to lose Kobayashi and Petrov, the latter really did improve over the latter half of the season. The rest I'm not really bothered about. Incidentally it looks like Kobayashi and Petrov have the biggest chance to stay in F1 the way things are going.

Malbec
27th November 2012, 21:26
You do tend to find its the drivers who have never been at the back that moan most about the backmarkers, as they have no experience of that end of F1.

I thought that when hearing Lewis talking about less experienced drivers in midfield cars referring to Hulkenberg, somewhat dismissively. I wonder if he realises that the likes of Vettel and Alonso are going to talk about him in the same way if he gets in their way over the next few seasons trundling around in the Merc?

ShiftingGears
28th November 2012, 04:37
Great shame about Kobayashi.

The Black Knight
28th November 2012, 12:54
How many chances does a driver need before people are convinced he's simply never going to impress?

HRT, Renault and now Williams. Do you really want him around in F1 for a fourth year preventing better drivers from getting a foothold in F1?

Its telling that despite bringing $10 million to the table Williams are kicking him out for a rookie and he's having difficulty finding another seat. That says everything for me really.

Very sad seeing Schumacher go but this time it feels like he's reached the natural end of the road and he seems satisfied with his decision.

Shame to lose Kobayashi and Petrov, the latter really did improve over the latter half of the season. The rest I'm not really bothered about. Incidentally it looks like Kobayashi and Petrov have the biggest chance to stay in F1 the way things are going.

HRT barely counts. Shambles of a team they were the first year. It's hard for a driver to impress when he is moving around all the time. It takes time to get settled into a new team. I thought Senna did a solid job this year. Nothing spectacular. He may not have been as fast as Maldonado but he sure was more consistent. Were it not for Lewis penalty in Spain I don't think Maldonado would have won that GP, nor would he have beaten Senna in the points. Senna will never be a Schumacher or as good as his Uncle but I would like to have seen him get two years on the trot with a team and see his development in a stable environment, which is something he has never had. But maybe I'm biased because of his Uncle ;)

In The Pits
12th December 2012, 13:41
I suppose I'm lucky, I have seen him retire twice and enjoyed it both times.
He was the most divisive driver ever in F1 and in my view, F1 will be better without him.

Mia 01
12th December 2012, 13:45
I thought this was another Hamilton thread.

Lucky me.

tfp
13th December 2012, 20:27

Good bye the shoe....

Did anyone else read Bernies comments about HRT? He says he wouldnt miss them and he isn't surprised that no one bought them :eek: He definetly is a rotton old git.
It also pains me to see your list, and even though I wont miss Senna, DLR and Narain(what did he do to deserve that seat? Hang on a minute....) there is no way Heikki should be leaving F1 now. I will miss the Kob aswel, and I am still a big fan of Petrov.
These 3 drivers shouldnt be leaving F1 and especially considering a bunch of paying drivers would probably be taking their place. F1 is a joke now.
Rant over :D

donKey jote
13th December 2012, 20:45
Oh I thought this thread was abut Haug for a second :p

tfp
14th December 2012, 15:51
Oh I thought this thread was abut Haug for a second :p

no, aki rather kindly made this thread just for me to have a rant :D