PDA

View Full Version : Racing in Taupo, New Zealand

N4D13
12th November 2012, 06:35
Hi everyone! I'm in New Zealand at the moment and I just happened to come through this a couple of days ago: https://fcr.rezdy.com/581/ultimate-drive-a-v8-and-a-single-seater-taupo (https://fcr.rezdy.com/581/ultimate-drive-a-v8-and-a-single-seater-taupo/)/. Never have I driven a racing car, although I'm really looking forward to it (obviously!). However, I would like to know whether you believe that this is actually worth the money - has anyone had any experience with this kind of stuff?

By the way, it turns out that I'm staying at Auckland, but I cannot do this stuff in Hampton Downs because I'm leaving on November 25th and I can't book any drives until December. My best option might be to do this in Taupo, but I cannot rent a car, since I'm just 20. Apparently, I'd need to leave Auckland on the 22nd by bus and come back here on the 24th (all the bus timetables I've looked at meant that I couldn't do any of the journeys on the 23th itself, as I'd be arriving too late or leaving too soon), so I'd have to book accomodation for two nights. Do you think there's any option I have overlooked?

Thanks in advance! ;)

D-Type
12th November 2012, 11:09
Whether it's worth it is entirely dependant on how much you enjoy it. It sounds fun.

I suggest contacting the organisers, explaining your travel problem, and asking them if they can recommend somewhere to stay and the number of the local taxi firm. You never know - someone might have a relative, friend or friend-of-a-friend who runs a B&B or small hotel.

If you can't hire a car because of your age, it would be worth double checking that you can do this track session. I'd hate you to get yourself there and find out the worst the hard way.

N4D13
13th November 2012, 00:22
Thanks a lot for that - I'll try and contact the organisers, as that is something I had never thought about. Anyway, yes, I've checked that I can actually race there - people from 14 years old can do it.

In any case, if there's anyone who has had any similar experience, I'd be delighted to hear about it. :)