PDA

View Full Version : RIP MSN Messenger

Mark
7th November 2012, 14:16
BBC News - Microsoft ditches Windows Live Messenger for Skype (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20222998)

Used to be that MSN Messenger or just 'MSN' as most people called it, was used by everybody - pretty much the way that everyone is on facebook now, everyone was on MSN back in early 2000's. To see it's being closed down is sad, but then I've not used it for years.

I do however use Skype text chat for work and it works just as well.

donKey jote
7th November 2012, 17:04
Haven't used it for donkeys, even longer than skype :)

Dave B
7th November 2012, 17:53
The first person I ever chatted with on MSN was 75%Vauxhall fan, the second was someone calling themselves "Andi".

I wonder whatever happened to them.... :p

Daniel
7th November 2012, 22:30
The first person I ever chatted with on MSN was 75%Vauxhall fan, the second was someone calling themselves "Andi".

I wonder whatever happened to them.... :p

You also spoke to some Australian chap too.

Without MSN I suspect I would have been single my whole life hehe :p

Dave B
8th November 2012, 10:16
I think the Ozzie was about 4th or 5th :p

pino
8th November 2012, 11:10
I used to spend hours on MSN talking to many old friends such as Jamie, Storm, Andi, odykas, Mark, Daniel etc...etc...

Sadly now the only one I still see online is Daniel :(

Mark
8th November 2012, 11:15
Pino; I'm on Skype these days.

Azumanga Davo
8th November 2012, 11:19
Became littered with spam,so was not particularly enjoyable in the end. And that was 6 years ago. Hate to think what it's like now...

BleAivano
8th November 2012, 11:28
Became littered with spam,so was not particularly enjoyable in the end. And that was 6 years ago. Hate to think what it's like now...

I haven't had any problems with spam on MSN messenger for years.

Its easy to prevent spam as well since you can set it to only allow messages from people on your contact list.

Iain
8th November 2012, 19:14
I remember I used to have three IM programmes on the go. Yahoo Messenger, ICQ and MSN. Now I don't use any of them! Social networking and mobile chat apps have killed them off.

It's JM
9th November 2012, 00:23
This shut down of WLM won't interfere with my email address and contacts, right? Of will they be added to my contact list if I merge with skype?

BleAivano
9th November 2012, 11:38
This shut down of WLM won't interfere with my email address and contacts, right? Of will they be added to my contact list if I merge with skype?

you can use your WLM login on skype as well. All your contacts will be kept.

Storm
16th November 2012, 14:13
Hours spent chatting on msn over so many years...So many friends from MSF too like pino said. FB chat still sucks.

Sadly now the only one I still see online is Daniel :(
that has to hurt :p :

Erki
20th November 2012, 19:37
I also remember many days and nights spent chatting with some guys and gals from Greece, India and Down Under. That was quality. :D Last time was many years ago, though. A few more, and it'll be a decade. That's a lot. Sigh. :)

MikeDeHigh
23rd November 2012, 14:40
Msn was doomed anyways... finally. now the rest of them ;-)

call_me_andrew
2nd December 2012, 04:09
I'm using MSN right now and I don't care for this one bit.

Mark
2nd December 2012, 09:04
I'm confused anyway because on my iPhone Skype app I can now see my MSN contacts. Which is good.

But on the Windows desktop application I can't. It's still just my Skype contacts.

N4D13
2nd December 2012, 14:27
I'm confused anyway because on my iPhone Skype app I can now see my MSN contacts. Which is good.

But on the Windows desktop application I can't. It's still just my Skype contacts.
Log into Skype for Windows with your MSN login details, rather than just your Skype accounts. ;)

Bezza
11th December 2012, 10:03
Haha! Good old days of MSN Messenger. Can't believe it was around 2001-2003 when I used to be on there with alarming regularity, winding Daniel up, chasing girls and failing and discussing the 2001 BTCC title decider with Mark as it happened (I remember that well!!)