PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Abu Dhabi GP

Knock-on
1st November 2012, 15:07
er.... Is there a GP this weekend? Everyones still bitching about how crap Lewis is for letting Pastor crash into him :D

Back to the here and now shall we. Yas Marina is upon up and the Bulls are rampaging the Horses.

Tazio
1st November 2012, 21:28
I think that Scuderia Alonso will not bust out that sealed 8th lump. I think it will first fire in anger in P3 and the race at Austin and then use it for the same in Brazil. It sould be lively at altitude unless Austin is a killer, and I don't see it that way because the weather will be cool. It's got to start cooling down further out here :crazy: It's still summer and too hot in some places at times ;)

truefan72
1st November 2012, 22:06
too true

for some reason, I'm having a difficult time getting excited about this race
perhaps because my bloody car is in the shop and I'm none to pleased with what they are telling me the repairs will cost
:(

Tazio
1st November 2012, 22:20
what do they say is wrong with your sled? :eek: ....dawg :rolleyes: :cool: :)

AndyL
2nd November 2012, 10:46
So McLaren are comfortably fastest in P1, perhaps Red Bull will have some competition this weekend. We can but hope!

Tazio
2nd November 2012, 11:09
I hope they both finnish ahead of Red Bull. Still early times

CaptainRaiden
2nd November 2012, 12:15
Hamilton comfortably fastest throughout, with his fastest time coming despite a small mistake, which leads me to believe he has more in hand.

Button initially was a second slower, but closed right up to within three tenths after complaining about brakes on the radio?

Vettel only has to finish behind both Mclarens in the remaining three races to clinch the title, so I don't think they're too bothered by being up to a second slower.

Ferrari struggling even with a whole plethora of new updates. They are certainly pushing, but are the updates really working? Still early stages, I know, but they have to close a deficit of up to 1 second by Saturday morning. Get right to it boys, and please defeat Vettel.

Tazio
2nd November 2012, 12:21
As a result, the Scuderia used up the first of four possible 'passes' on the FIA's strict curfew rules to fit updated parts to Alonso's F2012 ahead of this weekend's Abu Dhabi, working during the six-hour period usually out of bounds to all staff. With the Yas Marina race running to a twilight timetable, that meant mechanics were within the circuit confines between 0400-1000 hours local time but, as FIA technical delegate Jo Bauer pointed out, the team was within its rights.

Ferrari is still working on developments to aid his cause, and is hoping that the curfew-breaking efforts - understood to have been used to fit parts flown out from Italy overnight - will pay dividends in Abu Dhabi.

"On top of that, we have some updates here and there will be some more in the USA. The season has had its ups and downs and we have seen four consecutive 'ups' for Red Bull, so we think it has to go down sooner or later! We have some new parts that we will be checking tomorrow

May take a while to get the setup right :D I hope these work :erm: :bandit:

Ferrari plays curfew joker in last throw of title dice | F1 News | Nov 2012 | Crash.Net (http://www.crash.net/f1/news/185707/1/ferrari_plays_curfew_joker_in_last_throw_of_title_ dice.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss)

The Black Knight
2nd November 2012, 14:48
Looks like this is going to be a close race between Seb and Lewis. I can't wait for qualifying tomorrow.

truefan72
2nd November 2012, 21:31
what do they say is wrong with your sled? :eek: ....dawg :rolleyes: :cool: :)

lol

my X5 is having throttle bottle issues that needs to be replaced and suddenly the driver door won't open from the outside, bloody car is only 5 years old

Anyways...

Fell asleep during FP1 ( 5 am here)
watched FP2 and the times look encouraging for mclarent his weekend, vettel still looks imperius. I think alonso is doign his usual sandbagging. The lotus looks like it might have something to say in this race as well.

And as always, the track looks glorious. I wish they would change 11,12,13 complex of turns to a single turn from 11 into 13. my only race related gripe :|

Tazio
2nd November 2012, 23:42
lol

my X5 is having throttle bottle issues that needs to be replaced and suddenly the driver door won't open from the outside, bloody car is only 5 years old

Anyways...

Fell asleep during FP1 ( 5 am here)
watched FP2 and the times look encouraging for mclarent his weekend, vettel still looks imperius. I think alonso is doign his usual sandbagging. The lotus looks like it might have something to say in this race as well.

And as always, the track looks glorious. I wish they would change 11,12,13 complex of turns to a single turn from 11 into 13. my only race related gripe :|
What worries me is that McLaren only improved .1 on the options in the evening when quali will be. I really hope The Boss can grab the pole. The harder compound will hold up for McLaren for a while. Then Rogro brings out a safety car and they finish Boss, Fred, But, and Kimi! :)

longisland
3rd November 2012, 10:29
Looking at the lap times including FP3, the pole in qualifying will most likely to be sub 1" 41'

AndyL
3rd November 2012, 13:21
So apparently yesterday Hamilton didn't like his chances of getting pole (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20183693), but after P3 and Q1 it's looking like no-one else can get close. The others are going to need some big help from the soft tyres at this rate.

longisland
3rd November 2012, 13:35
Lewis just did a 1 40.9 in Q2!

pino
3rd November 2012, 13:54
Lewis just too fast for everyone :eek:

donKey jote
3rd November 2012, 14:04
Vettel had to stop the car? Cheat? :p

pino
3rd November 2012, 14:05
Problems for Vettel ?

donKey jote
3rd November 2012, 14:08
likely he'll just get another reprimand and that's it :dozey:

Robinho
3rd November 2012, 14:08
That's thrown a couple of curve balls in, Alonso in 7th, vettel 3rd at best and potentially staring down the barrel of a penalty, depending on why he stopped (my money is on a driveshaft, from the hit on the wall, stopped to save the gearbox) Hamilton in a class of 1 at the front.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

longisland
3rd November 2012, 14:10
It'll be a pretty interesting start tomorrow with Pastor in the second row.

truefan72
3rd November 2012, 14:10
1. nice pole by hamilton
2. there should be no penalty for grosjean. IMO it wasn;t an unsafe release
3. can't wait to hear what the issue is with Vettel, Typical Horner trying to shift blame to renault- either way, it should be a penalty, which is good news for alonso
4. Jenson nowhere near teammate...yet again. LOl so much for mclaren backing Button over Hamilton.

donKey jote
3rd November 2012, 14:15
something to do with the engine?

truefan72
3rd November 2012, 14:17
likely he'll just get another reprimand and that's it :dozey:

regardless, if your car can't make it back to the pits on the cooldown lap on its own power, isn't that a penalty in qualy?

Javi_racing
3rd November 2012, 14:18
Amazing lap from Hamilton, and surprising Maldondado too

now lets see the Vettelīs problem, If it is because of low fuel, the consequence is obvious, penalty just as Hamilton in Spain. I really hope that for benefits of Alonso. Cant wait to tomorrow, everything can happens!

Garry Walker
3rd November 2012, 14:26
Great lap by Hamilton. He really is amazing on this circuit.

donKey jote
3rd November 2012, 14:28
regardless, if your car can't make it back to the pits on the cooldown lap on its own power, isn't that a penalty in qualy?

he is Vettel though... :p

The Black Knight
3rd November 2012, 14:30
Great lap by Hamilton. Good performances from all the top three drivers really. Donkey of qualifying is Button for me. He was almost 7 tenths of a second behind Hamilton. Probably understeer or something I'm sure.

kfzmeister
3rd November 2012, 14:46
something to do with the engine?

He is on his eighth engine already since India. Wouldn't it be awesome if from here on out if all his engine's failed and he started every race ten spots down from qualifying??
Actually could be a gearbox issue, since downshifting from 3rd to neutral is not normal.

Garry Walker
3rd November 2012, 15:05
He is on his eighth engine already since India. Wouldn't it be awesome if from here on out if all his engine's failed and he started every race ten spots down from qualifying??
Actually could be a gearbox issue, since downshifting from 3rd to neutral is not normal.

I think an engine failure for Bieber is something every race fan is hoping for.

The Black Knight
3rd November 2012, 15:13
1. nice pole by hamilton
2. there should be no penalty for grosjean. IMO it wasn;t an unsafe release
3. can't wait to hear what the issue is with Vettel, Typical Horner trying to shift blame to renault- either way, it should be a penalty, which is good news for alonso
4. Jenson nowhere near teammate...yet again. LOl so much for mclaren backing Button over Hamilton.

Yep, as I said before, not to say Button is a bad driver or anything but he'll only win you a championship with a car that's vastly superior to the rest of the field. Hamilton and Alonso could win you a championship without having the absolute best car. I think McLaren will really feel the loss of Hamilton next year in a big way.

Javi_racing
3rd November 2012, 16:30
he is Vettel though... :p

As I'm reading, they are now inspecting his car... As I said, If it was because the fuel, that is cheating. It is not a subjective penalty for the judges xD

donKey jote
3rd November 2012, 16:41
He clipped the wall at one point so surely they can always pretend it was force majeur...

truefan72
3rd November 2012, 17:17
FFS what takes so long to get a statement out of the Alonso/Grosjean thing and the Vettel situation?

truefan72
3rd November 2012, 17:17
Yep, as I said before, not to say Button is a bad driver or anything but he'll only win you a championship with a car that's vastly superior to the rest of the field. Hamilton and Alonso could win you a championship without having the absolute best car. I think McLaren will really feel the loss of Hamilton next year in a big way.

:up:

AndyL
3rd November 2012, 18:41
Hold the presses: Vettel starts from the back - not enough fuel left, same as Hamilton earlier in the season. The championship battle is still on!

Tazio
3rd November 2012, 18:42
I wish Alonso had put it higher on the grid. :angryfire
Great lap by The Boss :up:
Alonso overheard saying:
"The bullet that will kill me is not yet cast." :dork:

Vettel!!! :angel: :)

fandango
3rd November 2012, 18:53
Either way this is good. Vettel can now prove it's not just Newey that makes him win. The advantage for Alonso is obvious...

Tazio
3rd November 2012, 19:00
Hold the presses: Vettel starts from the back - not enough fuel left, same as Hamilton earlier in the season. The championship battle is still on!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A6zETuvCYAAACst.jpg

donKey jote
3rd November 2012, 19:01
Vettel had to stop the car? Cheat? :p

He clipped the wall at one point so surely they can always pretend it was force majeur...

"the stewards accepted the explanation and considered the incident as being a case of force majeure"
"however ..."

According to marca (http://www.marca.com/2012/11/03/motor/formula1/1351946144.html) ( :rolleyes: :p ), he only had 850ml left in the tank when he stopped :crazy:

lying cheats! :p

Tazio
3rd November 2012, 19:05
According to marca he only has .85cm :D :bandit:

gloomyDAY
3rd November 2012, 19:10
Vettel to start at the back of the grid? Ouch!

kfzmeister
3rd November 2012, 19:11
Wow! Could this get any better?? Vettel starting at the back of the grid? Hopefully they turn the engine rev's up all the way for him to work his way through the field and he blows his eight engine!!!! Game over and Alonso wins championship! :eek:

donKey jote
3rd November 2012, 19:11
I hope Alonso can stay out of Grosjean's and Kimi's way this time :dozey:

gloomyDAY
3rd November 2012, 19:16
Tough penalty, but absolutely fair. I thought Red Bull were about to dodge another bullet and they got slapped to the back of the grid. Well, in a way I'm happy that Vettel will have to demonstrate his race-craft tomorrow, and I'm hoping that he will get the detractors (*cough* Garry Walker *cough*) off of his back.

Tazio
3rd November 2012, 19:28
Here is some freakin' Karma Glue' :s tareup:
Wouldn't it be ironic if Vettel got stuck behind Petrov :angel:

Tazio
3rd November 2012, 19:34
Wow! Could this get any better?? Vettel starting at the back of the grid? Hopefully they turn the engine rev's up all the way for him to work his way through the field and he blows his eight engine!!!! Game over and Alonso wins championship! :eek: Remember Vettel has life on some of the other seven lumps for races. If not he would take his new lunp now and the penalty would not hurt him ...No? :confused: ;)

gloomyDAY
3rd November 2012, 19:37
Here is some freakin' Karma Glue' :s tareup:
Wouldn't it be ironic if Vettel got stuck behind Petrov :angel: Yeah, Vettel better give it the beans!

Remember Vettel has life on some of the other seven lumps for races. If not he would take his new lunp now and the penalty would not hurt him ...No? :confused: ;) I didn't think of that. Vettel could take his 9th engine and not get reprimanded even further.

race aficionado
3rd November 2012, 19:44
I want Donks to win, erm, I mean Alonso. :)

The Black Knight
3rd November 2012, 19:47
Fair penalty. I'd have been fuming if he received anythung else given ehat happene to Hammy earlier thus year. Here's hoping Alonso wins tomorrow. I am a Hammy fan, as you all know, but for the championship and F1, Vettel needs to not win this seasons WDC. He has not proven he is worthy of 3 WDC. Alonso, on the other hand has proved he is worthy of many more than he currently has.

pino
3rd November 2012, 19:57
I am not a Donk but thanks race ! :D

truefan72
3rd November 2012, 20:18
this has changed everything. Good!
Alonso must be doing cartwheels in his hotel room.

Tazio
3rd November 2012, 20:23
I am not a Donk but thanks race ! :D Yea' don't forget the rest of the boyz Race, like kfz and the actual Spaniards on this thread!!!! I don't think Donks knows what nationality he is, ;)
although I’ve heard his missus speak Swahili in the sack. :angel:

AndyL
3rd November 2012, 20:30
They've taken Vettel's car out of Parc Ferme now to investigate the problem, so he will start from the pitlane.
Abu Dhabi GP: Red Bull baffled by Vettel fuel problems - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104005)
Christian Horner is certain the fuel is in there somewhere... it must be hiding!

donKey jote
3rd November 2012, 20:36
I don't think Donks knows what nationality he is, ;)
although I’ve heard his missus speak Swahili in the sack. :angel:

I know what nationality I am (Irish). :)

I also know what nationalities I feel (any, including your sister). :andrea:

donKey jote
3rd November 2012, 20:40
I want Donks to win, erm, I mean Alonso. :)

Thanks Race.
I'm afraid I won't be watching live... unless they have the telly on at our local "Rias Baixas" for lunch at 14:00 :D

Tazio
3rd November 2012, 21:12
I know what nationality I am (Irish).

I also know what nationalities I feel (any, including your sister). :andrea: Wow you have carnal knowledge of American Women???? That's in-freakin'pressive :s tareup: :arrows: :bandit:

Somebody
3rd November 2012, 21:57
Remember Vettel has life on some of the other seven lumps for races. If not he would take his new lunp now and the penalty would not hurt him ...No? :confused: ;)

Yes and no. He wouldn't get a grid penalty, *but* he wouldn't be allowed to use an engine removed between qualifying and the race again. Ergo, if he's already using a new engine there wouldn't be much of a benefit in changing for the sake of it.

JasonPotato
3rd November 2012, 22:10
Wait for the "do something" radio message again tomorrow.

Not sure why he is allowed to start from the pit lane tomorrow, sort of undermines the point of a 'penalty'. He should be starting at the back!

Tazio
3rd November 2012, 22:23
Yes and no. He wouldn't get a grid penalty, *but* he wouldn't be allowed to use an engine removed between qualifying and the race again. Ergo, if he's already using a new engine there wouldn't be much of a benefit in changing for the sake of it.Right unless it is comepletely trashed which we don't think it is. BTW this is not the first race on lump #8 for Seb! He broke into lump 8 in India. I don't even know which lump this is he has chosen to use.

Tazio
3rd November 2012, 23:00
Cant wait to tomorrow, everything can happens!

We know why when it comes to Zo' anything can happen :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mefLkzDyQS4

kfzmeister
4th November 2012, 02:25
We know why when it comes to Zo' anything can happen :)

Me thinks she creamed her pants while he was doing that magic trick! :D

zako85
4th November 2012, 09:32
Wow! Could this get any better?? Vettel starting at the back of the grid? Hopefully they turn the engine rev's up all the way for him to work his way through the field and he blows his eight engine!!!! Game over and Alonso wins championship! :eek:

You're being too optimistic. Suffice to look at the qualifying results for the last few weekends to realize that Ferrari's relative performance is nowhere near RBR. The best Alonso can hope for tomorrow is 2nd place finish behind Hamilton. The most likely championship standing after this race is that Vettel and Alonso leave UAE with virtual equal points, with the last two races deciding the championship. I'd still put my money on Vettel if I had any.

driveace
4th November 2012, 10:25
Is there a possibility that RB think he could have done some damage to the drive system when he hit the wall,and so short filled it to take a penalty,but get the car out of Parc Ferme to do work on the transmission ?Or can they not do work on the car even though it is not in Parc Ferme ?
Still feel they are "Crafty" and there is more to this than meets the eye !

The Black Knight
4th November 2012, 10:47
Wow you have carnal knowledge of American Women???? That's in-freakin'pressive :s tareup: :arrows: :bandit:

It's a shock alright. American women being so conservative and chaste in all :D

donKey jote
4th November 2012, 11:03
Me thinks she creamed her pants while he was doing that magic trick! :D

I know I did ! :andrea:

Dave B
4th November 2012, 11:47
I'm in the "anyone but Alonso" camp so I'd rather Vettel won the title but boy oh boy this has spiced things up just when the championship was starting to look a little bit predictable. :D

As Ted Kravitz' cousin observed, it ain't over 'til it's over! :p

donKey jote
4th November 2012, 11:52
very pretty Etihad bottoms :andrea:

The Black Knight
4th November 2012, 11:55
I'm in the "anyone but Alonso" camp so I'd rather Vettel won the title but boy oh boy this has spiced things up just when the championship was starting to look a little bit predictable. :D

I don't understand this really. Whatever your personal gripes, you can't deny that he has been the best driver on the grid this year. I have no special love for the man either, he acts like a bitch when things don't go his way but that doesn't detract from his amazing achievements this year and what a fantastic job he has done. He deserves this championship more than anyone else.

Tazio
4th November 2012, 12:01
The team claimed that it had chosen to take the car out of parc ferme to get to the bottom of why the FIA was unable to extract the mandatory one-litre sample of fuel it requires for post-qualifying checks.

But as well as working on the fuel issue, Red Bull has made hefty revisions to the set-up of the car to try to boost Vettel's chances of recovery.

A statement issued by the FIA a few hours ahead of the race revealed that Red Bull has replaced the gearbox of the car, made changes to the suspension and had also fitted new gear ratios to those submitted after second practice.
The changes to the car will be primarily aimed at optimising its chances of overtaking other cars - especially because in its configuration on Saturday the Red Bull was slowest through the speed trap at the end of the main straight.

According to the FIA's official speed trap figures issued after qualifying, Vettel and team-mate Mark Webber were at the bottom of the rankings - with speeds of 193.5 and 193.4mph respectively.

This compares with the fastest speed of Pastor Maldonado at 202.4mph – while main rivals Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton were recorded at 198.7 and 195.0mph

Red Bull is likely to have ensured that Vettel has more straightline speed potential in the race, so he is more able to make use of the two DRS zones at Yas Marina and overtake other cars.

Team principal Christian Horner said on Saturday night that he believed there remained opportunities for Vettel to score points in the race as the championship enters its final stages.

Abu Dhabi GP: Red Bull makes major set-up changes for Vettel - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104014) Vettel is going to have a tiger by the tail, and is sacrificing downforce. This may well be a good indication of how versatile he really is :bulb:

donKey jote
4th November 2012, 12:07
I say Alonso finishes P4 and Vettel P6 :)

Tazio
4th November 2012, 12:11
I say P3 - p9..... Sig bet??

driveace
4th November 2012, 12:16
as I suspected ! Short fill it ,stop it out on track ,out of Parc Ferme and overhaul the car !Hope it let's the RB!s down,and the German,s race is spoiled !A load of lies told to the FIA too .Horner not so cocky !

donKey jote
4th November 2012, 12:27
I say P3 - p9..... Sig bet??

No sig bet... I wouldn't want to risk my nice 2-line sig :andrea: :bandit:
And even less for an outcome I would actually prefer ! :p

Tazio
4th November 2012, 12:40
I just don't think it is going to be that easy for Vettel. He won't even catch the back of the pack until lap two likely, and will already be 30 seconds behind the front runners. Plus he runs off track with proper down force. It will be interesting to see if he has the patience to take advantage without missing too many corners.

Tazio
4th November 2012, 12:46

Which they borowed from Yogi Berra:

The line is based on a Yogiism, or quotation from Yogi Berra: "It ain't over 'til it's over."[2]
It Ain't Over 'til It's Over - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Ain't_Over_'til_It's_Over)

tfp
4th November 2012, 13:22
Karthikayen, luckiest man alive!!

Rollo
4th November 2012, 13:23
Rosberg's accident yet again proves the sheer utter idiocy in the concept on unguarded wheels.
I fear that someone's head will have to be taken off before this is addressed.

This is an inherent design fault common with the category.

truefan72
4th November 2012, 13:27
lol stupid vettel
ricciardo did nothing wrong

dj_bytedisaster
4th November 2012, 13:30
lol stupid vettel
ricciardo did nothing wrong

Except for brake testing him. Funny how Ricciardo did nothing wrong, but all called for Vettels head, when Button almost piled into his back. You guys surely have a selective recognition of reality :D

truefan72
4th November 2012, 13:35
vettel made that move off track against grosjean, he should be penalised!!!

JasonPotato
4th November 2012, 13:39
He let him back pass. It's funny watching him cheat and cry on the radio when he's not leading.

Garry Walker
4th November 2012, 13:42
No luck for Hamilton. What a shame.

How disgusting to see Vergne almost go off track to let cheatel past.

pino
4th November 2012, 13:45
Bad luck for Lewis again...

JasonPotato
4th November 2012, 13:47
Mclaren is so unreliable!

I hope Kimi wins now, he deserves it.

great move by Alonso too.

truefan72
4th November 2012, 13:49
if anyone questions why Hamilton is leaving mclaren, this should put those doubts to bed
I am bitter, angry and severely dissapointed,
funny how car failures seem to be only on hamilton's side
mclaren can go to hell
I think they are messing with his car at this point, or even worse not caring about whatsoever

Garry Walker
4th November 2012, 13:50
So basically, Cheatel cheats, collides with 2 drivers, lucks out with SC and he is looking good for a great place in the race because he has the fastest car. How lucky can one be?

Garry Walker
4th November 2012, 13:51
mclaren can go to hell
I think they are messing with his car at this point, or even worse not caring about whatsoever
Don't be retarded, fanboy.

Were McLaren messing with Kimi in 2005? Are Mercedes messing with Schumacher's car? FFS.

JasonPotato
4th November 2012, 13:51
Watch out for webber letting seb past.

dj_bytedisaster
4th November 2012, 13:55
So basically, Cheatel cheats, collides with 2 drivers, lucks out with SC and he is looking good for a great place in the race because he has the fastest car. How lucky can one be?

Man, dude, you must be really butthurt. How did he luck out with the safety car? He went back to the tail-end of the field because of it. So he goes from 24th to 12th, back to 22nd and again through the field. Do you even watch the race or is your vision completely blurry by your crying a river endlessly.

If he was beside the track he'll be penalized like everyone else. So why start moaning now already. Alonso's up front and vettel isn't - so how much more do you want?

truefan72
4th November 2012, 13:56
Watch out for webber letting seb past.

no need webber being the moron he is tries the same failed pass attempt no the outside that got him in trouble a few laps prior...with the same result
massa for his own foolishness, tried to run him off the track and paid the price for his bonehead move

both clowns
and gifting vettel positions

longisland
4th November 2012, 13:56
Kimi: "leave me alone!". Classic! Pastor:"Oop, I did it again". But honestly, Webber's move was too optimistic. My donkey candidates, Nico for catapulting into Narain.

JasonPotato
4th November 2012, 13:59
How was it nico's fault????

dj_bytedisaster
4th November 2012, 14:05
Narains steering broke and he slammed the breaks, so if anything it was a nasty accident, but no stupidity

truefan72
4th November 2012, 14:07
Don't be retarded, fanboy.

Were McLaren messing with Kimi in 2005? Are Mercedes messing with Schumacher's car? FFS.

"A sudden electrical failure on hamilton's car" whatever

look 5 problems in 5 races with 2 of them while leading and having the race in hand is suspicious in my book
especially since it seems to be only happening to one side of the garage seems highly dubious
once or twice is poor luck, but 5 times seems suspicious. As I said, at worst the mechanics on his side of the garage might be not caring about hamilton's car as they should

Button does not seem to be having any problems mechanically with his car. If there was a fundamental problem with the car it would affect both of them

dj_bytedisaster
4th November 2012, 14:17
Well, I'd subscribe to the theory that his mechanics are probably not fully motivated anymore, but I don't think McLaren deliberately sabotages his car. Keep in mind that losing a single position in the constructors championship makes a million dollar difference in TV money. I don't think they're messing that badly with him.

truefan72
4th November 2012, 14:17
perez too ambitious,
that is completely perez's fault

truefan72
4th November 2012, 14:18
Well, I'd subscribe to the theory that his mechanics are probably not fully motivated anymore, but I don't think McLaren deliberately sabotages his car. Keep in mind that losing a single position in the constructors championship makes a million dollar difference in TV money. I don't think they're messing that badly with him.

agreed, I don't think its sabotage, but it clearly is a lack of care from his mechanics
funny how there are no issues whatsoever on button's side
those mechanics should be ashamed of themselves

truefan72
4th November 2012, 14:19
perez effectively took out grosjean, and webber, and caused diresta to go off track as well
just madness

Malbec
4th November 2012, 14:19
f'wit Perez showing his 'racing talent' yet again. No worries, Sauber can afford to throw away points...

JasonPotato
4th November 2012, 14:20
Crazy race. Most of these incidents have favoured vettel.

dj_bytedisaster
4th November 2012, 14:22
perez effectively took out grosjean, and webber, and caused diresta to go off track as well
just madness

Not to mention handing Vettel a golden opportunity. He's on fresh tires.

truefan72
4th November 2012, 14:22
kimi's attitude is to be loved
engineers are doing their job though, but I can understand his frustration

truefan72
4th November 2012, 14:24
f'wit Perez showing his 'racing talent' yet again. No worries, Sauber can afford to throw away points...

yup, mclaren should have tons of fun with him
I think they jumped the gun on hiring him, when sutil, hulkenberg and diResta might have been better options

and the stewards agree...penalty for perez

pino
4th November 2012, 14:25
Won't be surprised to see Vettel win this race now...

longisland
4th November 2012, 14:25
I repeat what I said in India, why webber always gets the short straw?

truefan72
4th November 2012, 14:26
watch button gift wrap vettel the position
in a laps time

JasonPotato
4th November 2012, 14:29
He's had the whole race gift wrapped

longisland
4th November 2012, 14:36
Whether is gift wrapped, he started from pit so gets my vote for DOTD. Same could be said about Fred in some of his strong finishes.

dj_bytedisaster
4th November 2012, 14:37
He's had the whole race gift wrapped

I understand that many are butthurt that he didn't explode in flames, but that is simply not true. He charged through the pack twice to end up 4th, that is no mean feat even in the best car of the lot. He almost performed as many overtaking manovers as the last race had in total. I don't think the argument that he can't race is going to wash any longer.
What many forget though is the brilliant race of Alonso. He's not put a single tire wrong today. I think both him and Vettel proved that they are worthy of the title.

N. Jones
4th November 2012, 14:37
Kimi is my new favorite! His radio transmissions are hilarious.

By I agree with True above - the engineers are just doing their job.

truefan72
4th November 2012, 14:42
useless button

driveace
4th November 2012, 14:45
Kimi,s win ,and well deserved !And I honestly thought that Button would yield to Vettel.But driver of the race has got To be Alonso again

driveace
4th November 2012, 14:48
Bu
useless button

Button with fastest car on the track let's Vettel through !

longisland
4th November 2012, 14:48
This is the guy who's going to lead Mclaren next year...

truefan72
4th November 2012, 14:52
brilliant win for kimi
i'll drink to that victory

massively disappointing with mclaren
button utterly useless
Vettel did well, but gained tremendously by foolishness in front of him, and was lucky to not get a stop/go for his very deliberate off track pass on grosjean :(
alonso did all he could, and deserved a better gap to vettel
honorable mention to maldonado and kobayashi
webber pushed his luck too much today, but in the end got caught out by foolish perez. (maybe LdM was right)

I told you folks that renault might have something to say this weekend, and my goodness they did!
Its slightly bittersweet for me, based on hamilton's dnf, but kimi's victory will help heal my pain slightly

AndyL
4th November 2012, 14:56
Bu

Button with fastest car on the track let's Vettel through !

Vettel was on the faster tyre and they were a lot newer too.

If finishing 4th is "utterly useless", what does that make the next 20 guys?

Robinho
4th November 2012, 14:57
don't forget Vettel drove into Senna, nearly into the back of the Torro Rosso, hit the track markers and was so lucky with there being 2 safety cars which meant they could 2 stop.

F1boat
4th November 2012, 14:57
Probably the best race this season :D Magnificent Kimi, great Vettel and ominous Alonso! Wonderful Grand Prix!

truefan72
4th November 2012, 15:01
lol kimi cursing on the podium

truefan72
4th November 2012, 15:03
I am really not wanting to hear vettel talk, as usual he blames somebody else for his faults

all he has to say was "I was lucky today" then shut up, not talking twice as long as the other 2 guys on the podium

and the dude now pours champagne on DC. :down:

Ranger
4th November 2012, 15:04

Standard.

AndyL
4th November 2012, 15:04

Kimi won the race but Vettel wins the swearing match!

truefan72
4th November 2012, 15:08
Kimi won the race but Vettel wins the swearing match!

i thought I heard the F-word did he?

F1boat
4th November 2012, 15:09
yeah, Seb said that they could have f-ed things today.

truefan72
4th November 2012, 15:11
yeah, Seb said that they could have f-ed things today.

wow. I thought I misheard and said some other word akin to wrapping things up. but as usual vettel in his schoolboy competitiveness, wanted to not be outdone by kimi
that is really poor professionalism from him. He has done enough interviews to not use that word. shameful

dj_bytedisaster
4th November 2012, 15:13
I am really not wanting to hear vettel talk, as usual he blames somebody else for his faults

all he has to say was "I was lucky today" then shut up, not talking twice as long as the other 2 guys on the podium

and the dude now pours champagne on DC. :down:

Are you contesting Gary for most bumhurt hateful fanboy by any chance? Seriously man, I pitty you for being depressed by what was one of the best races this season, only because someone you hate did his job well. You must be one sad individual. Why not simply enjoy a great race?

truefan72
4th November 2012, 15:13
why are sky waxing poetics about vettel's drive?
did they not watch the same race the rest of us did?
what exactly was brave about his drive?

Tazio
4th November 2012, 15:19
Kimi's battle with Alonso for the win in the last 5 laps kept this race exciting. Vettel bumbles his way to a podium as he drives by all the carnage littered on the track.

truefan72
4th November 2012, 15:21
Are you contesting Gary for most bumhurt hateful fanboy by any chance? Seriously man, I pitty you for being depressed by what was one of the best races this season, only because someone you hate did his job well. You must be one sad individual. Why not simply enjoy a great race?

I don't hate vettel. But I do dislike poor sportsmanship and professionalism. I give credit where its due and blame where its deserved.
blaming riccaido on the podium for nearly running into the back of the STR, passing a driver off track, and then using the f-word on the podium all merit criticism. It was an interesting race, and had some great closing laps, but the rest of the action came from accidents and general foolishness.
Your comments are obviously based in your relative newness to this forum, so I'll let this one pass :/

truefan72
4th November 2012, 15:23
Kimi's battle with Alonso for the win in the last 5 laps kept this race exciting. Vettel bumbles his way to a podium as he drives by all the carnage littered on the track.

don't tell that to dj_bytedisaster
obviously Vettel drove well and all our complaints are from a "fanboy" perspective

Ranger
4th November 2012, 15:26
Your comments are obviously based in your relative newness to this forum, so I'll let this one pass :/

dj_bytedisaster

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

truefan72
4th November 2012, 15:29
dj_bytedisaster

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

but not a regular on the F1 board, maybe should have said board instead ;)

dj_bytedisaster
4th November 2012, 15:30

ROFL. Dude, are you able to read? Relative newness to this forum? I've been in here since 2001. That's four more years than you, Einstein. Only because I don't have 3.000 whining posts about the wrong driver winning doesn't mean I'm a newbie.

Ricciardo's move WAS dodgy. Nobody blamed Button when he almost bum****ed Vettel's car earlier this season for the same thing. He passed GJ off-track but gave the position back before overtaking him rightfully. And Kimmi swore on the podium as well. Didn't hear much criticism from you. I wonder who of us is biased, considering I don't display a driver's helmet in my avatar :D

Tazio
4th November 2012, 15:33
obviously Vettel drove well and all our complaints are from a "fanboy" perspective

Vettel had an excellent result but was also involved in two accidents. If I was pulling for him I would be very happy with such a fortuitous finish, and yes I do not like it when supposedly intelligent people throw around the F word, ever, anywhere. A little disappointed with that.

The Black Knight
4th November 2012, 15:34
ROFL. Dude, are you able to read? Relative newness to this forum? I've been in here since 2001. That's four more years than you, Einstein. Only because I don't have 3.000 whining posts about the wrong driver winning doesn't mean I'm a newbie.

Ricciardo's move WAS dodgy. Nobody blamed Button when he almost bum****ed Vettel's car earlier this season for the same thing. He passed GJ off-track but gave the position back before overtaking him rightfully. And Kimmi swore on the podium as well. Didn't hear much criticism from you. I wonder who of us is biased, considering I don't display a driver's helmet in my avatar :D

There was nothing wrong with Ricciardo's move. He was entitled to warm his tires to race temperature as much as possible under SC whatever way he wanted. If Vettel was concentrating and not feeling the pressure so much it wouldn't have happened. The race was under SC conditions. In that case it's up to the driver behind, as in normal road conditions, to not drive into the car in front. Seb's fault and he has no one to blame but himself for that incident.

dj_bytedisaster
4th November 2012, 15:35

Well he did drive well, didn't he. 24th to 3rd is a good drive by any measure, but if you read all my posts, you'll remember that I said that people seem to forget Alonso's stellar performance over their whining that Vettel did too well. Both of them proved today that whoever gets the title will be a worthy winner. The dude with the most points will win and both of them still have a fair shot on it.

truefan72
4th November 2012, 15:41

so you posted back in April 2009, then disappeared until a few posts in March & April 2012, 2 in May 2012, then nothing until October 2012
So I'd say your activity is infrequent enough to question your motives, but I'm not on hear to get into personal fights with part timers, who sling terms around like fanboy and accusations without the slightest clue or thought. You obviously like Vettel and are none too pleased about fair criticism coming his way. and if you had been around and bothered to read my posts over the years, you would know that.
But I'm putting an end to this before pino gets involved or this gets out of hand, so I'll happily go on about my business and suggest you do the same.

dj_bytedisaster
4th November 2012, 15:42
There was nothing wrong with Ricciardo's move. He was entitled to warm his tires to race temperature as much as possible under SC whatever way he wanted. If Vettel was concentrating and not feeling the pressure so much it wouldn't have happened. The race was under SC conditions. In that case it's up to the driver behind, as in normal road conditions, to not drive into the car in front. Seb's fault and he has no one to blame but himself for that incident.

We had that same situation earlier in the season between Vettel and Button and most of those, who now say it's Vettels own fault were calling for him to be penalized back then. Where I come from, this is called a double-standard. Both Vettels move back then and Ricciardo's today were borderline, but the Stewards didn't take action in either case, so they were deemed legit. It does however invalidate the argument that Vettel lucked to the podium. Had he stayed in 12th instead of going back to 22nd, we could just as well be moaning about his 5th win in a row now.

truefan72
4th November 2012, 15:46
brilliant win for kimi
i'll drink to that victory

massively disappointing with mclaren
button utterly useless
Vettel did well, but gained tremendously by foolishness in front of him, and was lucky to not get a stop/go for his very deliberate off track pass on grosjean :(
alonso did all he could, and deserved a better gap to vettel
honorable mention to maldonado and kobayashi
webber pushed his luck too much today, but in the end got caught out by foolish perez. (maybe LdM was right)

I told you folks that renault might have something to say this weekend, and my goodness they did!
Its slightly bittersweet for me, based on hamilton's dnf, but kimi's victory will help heal my pain slightly

Vettel had an excellent result but was also involved in two accidents. If I was pulling for him I would be very happy with such a fortuitous finish, and yes I do not like it when supposedly intelligent people throw around the F word, ever, anywhere. A little disappointed with that.

Well he did drive well, didn't he. 24th to 3rd is a good drive by any measure, but if you read all my posts, you'll remember that I said that people seem to forget Alonso's stellar performance over their whining that Vettel did too well. Both of them proved today that whoever gets the title will be a worthy winner. The dude with the most points will win and both of them still have a fair shot on it.
read my post from...sigh...just after the conclusion of the race
and my comments aren't made in isolation either
you need to read and think first before accusing folks of blatant partisanship
that should be my final word on that subject :)

truefan72
4th November 2012, 15:52
We had that same situation earlier in the season between Vettel and Button and most of those, who now say it's Vettels own fault were calling for him to be penalized back then. Where I come from, this is called a double-standard. Both Vettels move back then and Ricciardo's today were borderline, but the Stewards didn't take action in either case, so they were deemed legit. It does however invalidate the argument that Vettel lucked to the podium. Had he stayed in 12th instead of going back to 22nd, we could just as well be moaning about his 5th win in a row now.

Vettel was leading the pack and as such has a different obligation, especially on the penultimate corner before the restart when all the tire warming and weaving is done and drivers are not expecting the lead car create a concertina effect of hard braking as they bunch up to restart. Those two situations are very different. I'm thinking that was the China GP, but I'm not sure it was 2012, that's the only one I can remember. But if it was a different race let me know

The Black Knight
4th November 2012, 15:54

Whether people have a double standard or not is irrelevant to the incident at hand. I saw nothing wrong with Vettel's move or Ricciardo's move. The stewards took no action because there was nothing wrong with it, therefore by default it was Vettel's error. Whether you want to admit it or not, 2 safety cars playing into your hands allowing you gain a podium does count as lucking into it. He drove well for the last half of the race but the first 20 or so laps were not the drive of a world champion. He was clumsy and getting rattled. To get to 3rd from starting in the pitlane you have to be lucky. If you think that Seb would have been on the podium were there not two safety cars, then yes there was no luck, but he had the safety cars and that's the only reason he was on the podium.

So my question is to you; do you think that Sebastien would have finished on the podium were it not for the two safety cars? If you were watching the race then your answer to this will be no, therefore, he was lucky.

jens
4th November 2012, 15:56
What a sensational race. A true nail-biter! I think this is the happiest I have been in regards to Kimi winning. And he is nicely securing a P3 in the WDC standings, immediately in his comeback season. A great achievement!

I also felt throughout the race that this is sort of a championship-defining race. Alonso had the opportunity to capitalize and Vettel was thrown to deep end to save the day. Had Alonso won and Vettel retired, it could have somewhat swung the momentum and mental state in the game going into the last two races. In the end both fought hard an did, what they could. Alonso did the absolute minimum to finish ahead of Vettel, but Vettel can be happier with outcome given the circmstances. Still though - this weekend has put Seb into such situation, where he can't afford a retirement in the last two races either.

Alas several young midfield drivers were again a bit immature in wheel-to-wheel racing. However, for a change Maldonado came out clean! And I think even the accident with Webber was more of Australian's doing.

dj_bytedisaster
4th November 2012, 15:56
Vettel was leading the pack and as such has a different obligation, especially on the penultimate corner before the restart when all the tire warming and weaving is done and drivers are not expecting the lead car create a concertina effect of hard braking as they bunch up to restart. Those two situations are very different. I'm thinking that was the China GP, but I'm not sure it was 2012, that's the only one I can remember. But if it was a different race let me know

For someone writing the final word on the issue, you sure write a lot :D
Anyways. No matter how you twist it. Both Vettels move earlier this season and Ricciardo's today were nasty, but still within the boundaries of the rules. Both didn't get penalized.

dj_bytedisaster
4th November 2012, 16:00
So my question is to you; do you think that Sebastien would have finished on the podium were it not for the two safety cars? If you were watching the race then your answer to this will be no, therefore, he was lucky.

Without the safety car 4th would have been the end of it. Due to his error, however, he only profited from the second safety car. The first one actually threw him back to 22nd and behind strong-ish cars, like those of Grosjean and DiResta, which he had before overtaken by default. so with only the second SC, I would've agreed, but he was fourth before the second SC, even though he had to charge through the whole field twice. The first SC was actually a hindrance, because he had to overtake all those guys a second time.

truefan72
4th November 2012, 16:45
For someone writing the final word on the issue, you sure write a lot :D
Anyways. No matter how you twist it. Both Vettels move earlier this season and Ricciardo's today were nasty, but still within the boundaries of the rules. Both didn't get penalized.

this is a different issue and question posed as the personal problems you seem to have with me, unless you see everything as one issue, or are incapable of dealing with different discussions.
if you can't do that, I suggest adding me to your ignore list and I'll be happy to oblige likewise, in that way won't have to run into each other directly. Because this is getting a bit tiresome

F1boat
4th November 2012, 16:49
And also in order to be objective we might have to admit that even if he was lucky today, this only negated the rotten luck yesterday ;)

Storm
4th November 2012, 16:56
Haven't seen a cracking race like this in ages (mostly due to other things happening in life - as well as F1 getting a bit dull over the years). Only wish Alonso had gotten more points than Vettel to keeop the title alive.

F1boat
4th November 2012, 17:02
Haven't seen a cracking race like this in ages (mostly due to other things happening in life - as well as F1 getting a bit dull over the years). Only wish Alonso had gotten more points than Vettel to keeop the title alive.

Alonso did score more points than Vettel

jens
4th November 2012, 17:08
And also in order to be objective we might have to admit that even if he was lucky today, this only negated the rotten luck yesterday ;)

I don't think today's luck even completely made up for yesterday's unluck, because without the DQ it is likely Vettel would have won the race. :p :

F1boat
4th November 2012, 17:14
Yes, and for once I am glad that he didn't. Kimi deserved a victory this season.

dj_bytedisaster
4th November 2012, 17:47
this is a different issue and question posed as the personal problems you seem to have with me, unless you see everything as one issue, or are incapable of dealing with different discussions.
if you can't do that, I suggest adding me to your ignore list and I'll be happy to oblige likewise, in that way won't have to run into each other directly. Because this is getting a bit tiresome

Feel free. I don't add people to my ignore list, only because they're unreasonable and bumhurt. Face it man, you're doing a lousy job of hiding your disappointment that your favourite ****ing fantasy retired from the lead today. Running out of options, you posted nothing but negativity about Button and Vettel - both of whom were not deserving that sort of venom.

F1boat
4th November 2012, 18:42
I am afraid that I have to agree with dj_byte.

The Black Knight
4th November 2012, 19:32
Without the safety car 4th would have been the end of it. Due to his error, however, he only profited from the second safety car. The first one actually threw him back to 22nd and behind strong-ish cars, like those of Grosjean and DiResta, which he had before overtaken by default. so with only the second SC, I would've agreed, but he was fourth before the second SC, even though he had to charge through the whole field twice. The first SC was actually a hindrance, because he had to overtake all those guys a second time.

Consider that. He made an error and instead of losing the time he normally would to the rest of the field in the pit stop he got a brand spanking new set of fresh tires and a new wing which together allowed him carve through the field while most of his other competitors were on tires with over 20 laps on them. That is lucky. If it were normal racing conditions he'd have been well out of contention and lost 30 seconds in that pit stop. He didn't. Then even though he had actually made the blunder and lost relatively little out of it compared to normal racing conditions he came in again and yet another safety car came out straight after his pit stop which meant both his pit stops were simply negated. He epitomized lucky today but he did drive very well after lap 25 or so and made the most of the opportunities that came his way. I'm not saying he had a bad race, it just could have been a hell of a lot better and there were better drives out there today than Seb's.

Tazio
4th November 2012, 19:58
I am afraid that I have to agree with dj_byte.

Don't be afraid.........boo!
just kidding ;)

Triumph
4th November 2012, 20:05
A great race. I really enjoyed that with all the action that occurred. I'm resigned to the fact that Lewis will never have any luck, so wasn't in the least bit surprised to see him grind to a halt.

Fernando was impressive as usual. Sebastian was impressive to get a podium and only lose three points of his championship lead. Ferrari really needed to capitalize on the Red Bull misfortune, but Fernando did all he could and it wasn't really enough. The championship could still go either way, so there is plenty still to look forward to.

Kimi was really amusing today with those radio communications. A few expletives during the post-race interview, surprisingly, but I've heard worse!

dj_bytedisaster
4th November 2012, 21:15
Consider that. He made an error and instead of losing the time he normally would to the rest of the field in the pit stop he got a brand spanking new set of fresh tires and a new wing which together allowed him carve through the field while most of his other competitors were on tires with over 20 laps on them. That is lucky. If it were normal racing conditions he'd have been well out of contention and lost 30 seconds in that pit stop. He didn't. Then even though he had actually made the blunder and lost relatively little out of it compared to normal racing conditions he came in again and yet another safety car came out straight after his pit stop which meant both his pit stops were simply negated. He epitomized lucky today but he did drive very well after lap 25 or so and made the most of the opportunities that came his way. I'm not saying he had a bad race, it just could have been a hell of a lot better and there were better drives out there today than Seb's.

That would have been true, had he had that pitstop at the start of the safety car phase. He did so, however while the field was already bunched up, so he lost the maximum possible positions. You're still trying to find reasons to smear a great ride and it makes you look like a tool. He made his team mate look like Slowpoke Rodriguez and he delivered the perfect rebuttal for the "he can't overtake" claptrap. Face it, your favourite party-line has to be retired after that race. Simple as that.

RearSlip
4th November 2012, 21:33
I'm sure Hamilton can't wait to get out of that time bomb McLaren.

The Black Knight
4th November 2012, 22:02
That would have been true, had he had that pitstop at the start of the safety car phase. He did so, however while the field was already bunched up, so he lost the maximum possible positions. You're still trying to find reasons to smear a great ride and it makes you look like a tool. He made his team mate look like Slowpoke Rodriguez and he delivered the perfect rebuttal for the "he can't overtake" claptrap. Face it, your favourite party-line has to be retired after that race. Simple as that.

He lost the maximum number of positions but not the maximum amount of time.

It's a shame you have to resort to insults when you can't prove your point. Since you're going down this road, I'll discontinue this debate and leave you off. I've made my point, you can accept it or leave it. I'm not bothered either way.

dj_bytedisaster
5th November 2012, 00:19
He lost the maximum number of positions but not the maximum amount of time.

It's a shame you have to resort to insults when you can't prove your point. Since you're going down this road, I'll discontinue this debate and leave you off. I've made my point, you can accept it or leave it. I'm not bothered either way.

Means you've run out of excuses. good :D

gloomyDAY
5th November 2012, 01:01
I didn't finish watching the race until just now.

All that blabber about Vettel not being a worth 3-time WDC was hurled out the window, but haters are still going to find some minutiae point to pick on the defending WDC. I really hope Vettel wins, and this race is the reason as to why.

Alfa Fan
5th November 2012, 01:06
"(It was) incredible how he came up. He must be the luckiest driver in F1," said Hamilton, who retired from the lead before half distance.

Robinho
5th November 2012, 04:38
there is no way Vettel would have even made 4th but for the 1st and 2nd safety car. Whilst he dropped to the back of the pack after the 1st one, he did it on fresh tyres and a new wing. Had he had to carry on through the (non compressed) field with a damaged wing and the same age tyres as everyone else he may have made it into the top 10 before his stop, but not 2nd and would not have come back in 4th. All the 2nd safety car did was hand him a shot at Button, which he took very well, but I maintain he was lucky to find himself in that position due, in part, to the 2 safety cars which saved him from his own error and gave him a better shot. He still drove well, but it was taking a very fast car and driving it hard, which benefitting from others failings around him. That is not his fault, he can only race what is put in front of him, but it was not some kind of second coming. It was merely very good

The Black Knight
5th November 2012, 07:54
"(It was) incredible how he came up. He must be the luckiest driver in F1," said Hamilton, who retired from the lead before half distance.

Yep, he was lucky. Anyone with half a brain can see that. Looking at the interviews afterwards most people on the paddock agree too but you'll always have some folk, particularly those of the same nationality as Vettel, who will be blind sighted to what actually happened in the race and lack objectivity. I can't blame them though, I'd probably be the same were it someone from my country.

Storm
5th November 2012, 09:45
Alonso did score more points than Vettel
I obviously meant "many" more points than Vettel..

F1boat
5th November 2012, 11:40
Maybe Seb had some luck, but it only negated the incredibly bad luck he has in Saturday. People tend to forget that. And he was strong and fast enough to benefit from this luck.

F1boat
5th November 2012, 11:42

For me Lewis sounds bitter. Poor class, but honestly I can't expect more from the twitter guy. Since Monaco 2007 ("I am number two driver") he has been like this.

The Black Knight
5th November 2012, 11:49
For me Lewis sounds bitter. Poor class, but honestly I can't expect more from the twitter guy. Since Monaco 2007 ("I am number two driver") he has been like this.

You mean when McLaren switched him from a one stop strategy to a two stop one when he would have won the race had he kept on the one stop? I can't blame him for being p*ssed off that day.

He is saying it like it is. Yes, Seb had bad luck on Saturday but overall he is a lucky driver and that showed. When Lewis was put to the back of the grid in Spain and raced up to 8th place on a two stop strategy he didn't have any safety cars boosting his position. His season could have been salvaged if he had better luck but along with Schumacher he has been the unluckiest driver this year. So yeah, I'd be annoyed as well if everything went against me and there is a guy who probably isn't even as fast as me about to win his 3rd WDC, who even when luck doesn't swing his way one day, has luck swing back in his favor twice the next.

As someone said, you need to take your luck when presented, and Seb did that well yesterday but he wasn't driver of the race, neither was Button in Canada. If Seb hadn't been so sloppy at the start and f*cked up twice and still finished 3rd I'd be hailing it as one of the greatest ever drives but the cards fell perfectly for him yesterday and there really is very little denying that.

F1boat
5th November 2012, 11:57
and there is a guy who probably isn't even as fast as me about to win his 3rd WDC

I don't think that this is very probable, but thanks for showing your bias ;)
And about the overall luck - if you think about the Abu Dhabi GP, I can't see how he is overall lucky. Without the problem yesterday it was likely that Seb would have finished in front of Fernando Alonso. Now he lost 3 points to him and who knows, they might be crucial for the championship.
About the luck in his career - Seb has overcome numerous retirements in his career to win two (for now) world championships. About the fact that he is driving a Red Bull - he won that privilege after a season and a half in STR and during that time he demolished the most dominant driver I have ever seen in Champ Car. And BTW nobody knew that Red Bull would become so strong. He fought with them and for them and deserves everything he won.

jens
5th November 2012, 12:07
You mean when McLaren switched him from a one stop strategy to a two stop one when he would have won the race had he kept on the one stop? I can't blame him for being p*ssed off that day.

IIRC Hamilton was always on a 2-stop strategy, but he had to make his 2nd stop earlier due to yellow flags and a big risk of a safety car. And the safety car rules were harsh on those days - if he was late with his stop, he could have even dropped out of the points.

He is saying it like it is. Yes, Seb had bad luck on Saturday but overall he is a lucky driver and that showed. When Lewis was put to the back of the grid in Spain and raced up to 8th place on a two stop strategy he didn't have any safety cars boosting his position. His season could have been salvaged if he had better luck but along with Schumacher he has been the unluckiest driver this year. So yeah, I'd be annoyed as well if everything went against me and there is a guy who probably isn't even as fast as me about to win his 3rd WDC, who even when luck doesn't swing his way one day, has luck swing back in his favor twice the next.

That's a pity. I can understand that people are frustrated "their drivers" are not as successful as they would like. But the sad thing - as explained elsewhere - is that with this attitude Vettel's class as a driver is diminished as everything is attributed to "luck" and behind this luck the skills are not recognized.

I see 2012 has been a particularly tough year for fans, especially Alonso and Hamilton fans. After 2/3 of the season Alonso seemed to be running away with the title and everyone had already "agreed" that he should be the champion after impressive driving. Then suddenly Vettel emerges and steals the limelight, which has shocked everybody. Like it seems some may think - that Alonso deserves a WDC more than Vettel. Or that Hamilton deserves more than 1xWDC. If we base racing on that, the whole history of motorsports could be re-written. For starters Stirling Moss could have a say in how many WDC's he should have deserved... For sure many feel Schumacher has too many titles compared to Senna (7 vs 3). Etc. But this is not the point, there is no "right" to be a WDC.

It would be useful for people to avoid getting carried away with frustration. Explaining everything with "superior car" and "luck" only adds fuel to the fire of frustration. Never mind Vettel becoming a triple WDC. In a few years time he could be a 5xWDC! Think about that. :) All this while Hamilton may be far away from any wins, let alone titles, in the next seasons in the Mercedes. But if people can learn to see the bright side - the skill in winning consecutive WDC's, while enjoying their favourite driver simply performing well even without great results, but by just showing his skills in a different light. Then all the better.

Javi_racing
5th November 2012, 19:17
Well, actually Vettel didn't had "bad luck" on Saturday, cause what they did is a kind of cheat (intentionally or not, is not allowed) , so if you have less fuel than allowed, you're in advantage, that means a penalty, no doubt. More than bad luck, I consider it as a big mistake from the Red Bull team. They are the best but are humans too xD

About Sunday, yes he had an incredible good luck. Anyway we can't say he doesn't deserve his third position, cause he did it very well (he had a very easy way, but when he had to have risk he did well, in the final pass to button)

I don't like Vettel at all , that's true xD, and I also think that other drivers like Alonso and Hamilton (IMO, the two best drivers at the moment) should have more titles, and that things.... but if Vettel is the winner, is because they have done the things well, so he will be a fully deserved champion!

jens
5th November 2012, 19:23
Well, actually Vettel didn't had "bad luck" on Saturday,

Well, I would still say it was bad luck for Vettel unless he underfueled the car himself or ordered to do so. :) But it was not bad luck for the Red Bull team in general.

F1boat
6th November 2012, 09:40
Well, I would still say it was bad luck for Vettel unless he underfueled the car himself or ordered to do so. :)

Exactly.

Dave B
6th November 2012, 16:29
I don't understand this really. Whatever your personal gripes, you can't deny that he has been the best driver on the grid this year.
Well it's quite simple. Respect and support aren't bedfellows. I appreciate that Alonso is a phenomenal driver, and I've grudgingly made him my "Driver of the Day" several times this year. That doesn't mean I want​ him to succeed, though.