PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Indian Grand Prix

AndyL
26th October 2012, 11:39
Two practice sessions down and Red Bull are looking strong, topping both sessions - by half a second in P2. I hope the others can keep up and make a race of it.

Red Bull have also been dead last on top speed in both sessions.

We have a little bit of controversy already: the Ferrari cars are carrying the ensign of the Italian Navy, apparently in support of two Italian marines who are awaiting trial in India for killing two fishermen who they mistook for pirates. The potential to offend the host nation is obvious. F1 is supposed to avoid national politics so I can see the FIA taking a dim view of it as well.

F1boat
26th October 2012, 11:49
Things look good for Vettel, but it is very hard to win four races in a row, so we have to wait and see what happens...

Big Ben
26th October 2012, 14:53
The turn this season takes makes me sick

Firstgear
26th October 2012, 15:14
Earlier in the season we had all kinds of different teams up front with many different winners. But that was no good - because the races were deemed lotteries.

Now we have Red Bull up front for more than two consecutive races - and that's no good, because the show is getting boring.

Between these two extremes lies a valley. It's probably wider than the prairies I live in. Somewhere in that valley is a very thin razer's edge, and if the mix in races ever stays on that razer's edge - that tiny little sweet spot - everybody will be happy.

Think it will ever happen?

Big Ben
26th October 2012, 16:03
bla bla bla... I don't care for the show. I just hate it's justin bieber again

Tazio
26th October 2012, 21:03
The RB definitely looked like they were on rails. Felipe seems to have relapsed into Massamnesia :p :
Alonso didn't really get a clean lap on soft's until his 3rd flying lap, once because of traffic in s3 and the second was his own mistake that I think might have taken a little out of his tires. McLaren will find time in quali, and Kimi looked hooked up and smooth on his soft fliers. Unfortunately for all of them RB will also find more Q speed. :angryfire

mstillhere
27th October 2012, 01:30
Obviously I don't agree with the opinions posted in here. When Vettel was 30 points behind Alonso it was possible, almost given for the German driver to come back. But now that Alonso is SIX points behind....WOW!!! Six points? forget it. RB won the championship. I bet you if it were LH six points behind many of you would be saying very different things right now.

You guys need to look at the big picture. That's what happened today:

Look at Vettel's run compared to Alonso's:

Vettel:

LAP # TIME POSTED
17 1:37.524
18 1:26.921
19 1:58.200
20 1:26.221

Alonso:

12 1:33.745
13 1:36.859
14 1:27.093
15 1:40.134
16 1:26.964
17 1:40.976
18 1:26.820

Do you notice anything?

To me that means that Alonso was on a short run while Vettel was on a one lap time. Furthermore, Alonso reached the times posted 3 laps before Vettel hit the track, it was definetly dryer. On top of that Alonso made a mistake that cost him some time.

Something interesting:

Webber was posting better times than Vettel:

13 1:27.339
14 1:53.966
15 1:27.274
16 1:39.240
17 1:26.339

Finally, on the final long run RB seems to be very constant but Ferrari seem to do better:

Vettel:
23 1:33.071
24 1:32.873
25 1:33.083
26 1:38.318
27 1:32.721
28 1:32.776
29 1:32.340
30 1:32.340
31 1:39.095
32 1:31.607
33 1:41.190
34 1:31.212

Alonso:
23 2:11.621
24 1:32.644
25 1:32.829
26 1:32.090
27 1:32.288
28 1:32.331
29 1:32.349
30 1:31.997
31 1:35.313
32 1:31.954
33 1:31.559

So, if you guys base your judgement just on the Fri practice well you might be surprised on Sunday.

Tazio
27th October 2012, 03:11
Take it easy tiger. My observation of the heavy fuel run of Alonso was that his F2012 was much calmer than on light, Alonso attacked the circuit every turn and the car was under complete control. I don't think that Alonso was running quite as heavy as RB or McLaren, but I could be wrong. Either way I think Ferrari will have excellent race pace. If Alonso gets to q3 and puts in a perfect lap I think he will have a good chance at a win. If he qualifies behind both RB's and a McLaren it will be business as usual. I'm just glad I switched to my lucky avatar; it could be the difference :)

I think strategy will be very big in this race, plus I'm not counting "The Boss" out, in fact I think he has an excellent chance at a podium.
Who freakin’ knows Kimi could win it with a one stopper! :crazy:

If Alonso finishes one position behind Vettel this race I consider that an excellent outcome, as I think Ferrari is in a better position reliability wise. Whether that is true or not the championship will definitely still be on.
Maybe I'll watch the race and draw my conclusions after it’s over. :bulb:

BTW

the Ferrari cars are carrying the ensign of the Italian Navy, apparently in support of two Italian marines
B## F###### D###! :s nore:

zako85
27th October 2012, 04:41
Even when the race result can be predictable, I do enjoy watching most races, as the show is usually good. The landscapes on the India race track are beautiful, and there can a lot of action in mid-field. Do not discount the possibilities of accidents, breakdowns, and botched pit stops.

gloomyDAY
27th October 2012, 07:45
Did Massa forget the track direction?

http://i.imgur.com/uWEUe.gif

pino
27th October 2012, 09:35
Anyone watching pole live ? :D

Robinho
27th October 2012, 09:57
Dr Jekyll and Mr Massa is back

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

steveaki13
27th October 2012, 10:06
Did Massa forget the track direction?

http://i.imgur.com/uWEUe.gif

"Now I have that new contract in my pocket, I will just park my car here"

pino
27th October 2012, 10:18
So many malicious in here :p :

F1boat
27th October 2012, 10:30
Yesss, I was so nervous at the end, well done to Seb :)

pino
27th October 2012, 10:31
1st row for Red Bull again...

:s nore: :p :

F1boat
27th October 2012, 10:32
For Ferrari it is more worrying than McLaren are ahead of them again.

CaptainRaiden
27th October 2012, 10:36
Secretive McLaren information kept from Hamilton - GPUpdate.net (http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/286162/secretive-mclaren-information-kept-from-hamilton/)

LOL, not given access to information, still outqualifies Button.

Red Bull lockout the front row with comfortably the best car on the grid. Their long runs looked good during practice as well. Should be an easy race for them, barring any mechanical failures.

We won't wanna wish mechanical failure on Vettel now, would we? :devil:

CaptainRaiden
27th October 2012, 10:39
For the second year in a row I miss being there at the Indian grand prix, because I'm not in the country. :( :bigcry:

Especially to take advantage of the way they slash their prices just hours before qualifying to fill the seats. You can get tickets at a quarter of their original price at the last moment, definitely the cheapest way to watch live F1 compared to other circuits, I'd say.

gloomyDAY
27th October 2012, 10:41
I'm glad Michael is re-retiring. He seemed confused why the gap was so big to Rosberg in Q2.

gloomyDAY
27th October 2012, 10:45
1st row for Red Bull again... :D This makes me so happy!I could not agree more.

For Ferrari it is more worrying than McLaren are ahead of them again.Bingo! Not only are you slower than your main rivals, but you're slower than Ron Dennis' twins.

We won't wanna wish mechanical failure on Vettel now, would we? :devil: Almost 0300 here. I'm going to have Halloween nightmares consisting of alternator failures.

Tazio
27th October 2012, 10:53
"Now I have that new contract in my pocket, I will just park my car here"You've played that card two times to many lad as Massa's recent form is holding. ;)

Exciting quali, very well played by the McLaren boyz. With Alonso holding the only unused engine of the top contenders he could have an impossible dream of a chance to win playing the long game. I would feel terrible if Vettel has a DNF :s tareup: :bandit:

pino
27th October 2012, 10:57
Alonso told ital TV he needs to pass both McLaren as fast as possible...and trying to put some pressure to Red Bulls.

Easy to say it :s

steveaki13
27th October 2012, 11:00
You've played that card that two times to many lad as Massa's recent form is holding. ;)

Exciting quali, very well played by the McLaren boyz. With Alonso holding the only unused engine of the top contenders he could have an impossible dream of a chance to win playing the long game. :s tareup: :bandit:

I know... I know. :p :

I played it first because my nasty mind made it up after listening to practice, but when I saw that clip, I couldnt resist pulling it out once more.

Seriously though. Massa's form is really good now. I hope he keeps it up for next season as it would help Ferrari so much.

Good job Felipe Baby. :)

CaptainRaiden
27th October 2012, 11:01
Almost 0300 here. I'm going to have Halloween nightmares consisting of alternator failures.

Every time I wish for a mechanical failure on Vettel's Red Bull, nothing happens.

So, this time I'm gonna do the opposite.

I wish Vettel has the smoothest, most easiest victory possible, with NO mechanical failures whatsoever (not even tyre graining) and the fastest lap of the race (which he does on worn out tyres of course) to go with it. :)

steveaki13
27th October 2012, 11:03
Alonso told ital TV he needs to pass both McLaren as fast as possible...and trying to put some pressure to Red Bulls.

No that is certainly not easy.

Tiggled me Mark was saying about the Mclarens that were cruising around, I bet Red Bull bosses are saying to him "Shut up, we dont want Mclaren penalised and move the Ferraris up to 3rd & 4th". Its just fine for Red Bull this time to have Mclarens on the second row.

Tazio
27th October 2012, 11:05
:erm:

Easy to say it :s I think it's doable......if they call in the Marines :erm: :wave:

CaptainRaiden
27th October 2012, 11:06
:erm: I think it's doable......if they call in the Marines :erm: :wave:

:laugh:

Tazio
27th October 2012, 11:13
Almost 0300 here. I'm going to have Halloween nightmares consisting of alternator failures.Still going strong down the road pal. I'll be calling you at 0400, and 0500. Pleasant dreams......bro!! :monster:

Tazio
27th October 2012, 11:18

Easy to say it :s I'm going out on a limb and predicting gearbox issues for Button,
unless he's ahead of Vettel :p :

pino
27th October 2012, 11:27
Alonso also said : I am fighting Newey...not Vettel !

So true ! :s

ShiftingGears
27th October 2012, 11:45
Secretive McLaren information kept from Hamilton - GPUpdate.net (http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/286162/secretive-mclaren-information-kept-from-hamilton/)

LOL, not given access to information, still outqualifies Button.

What difference does it make? He knows there is a part added to his car, so he can still relate changes in the characteristics of the vehicle to knowledge that new parts were added.

Simply knowing what the component is will not make him any faster or give him a greater understanding of how the vehicle works, so there isn't a penalty in not telling him.

Tazio
27th October 2012, 11:45
I know... I know. :p :

I played it first because my nasty mind made it up after listening to practice, but when I saw that clip, I couldnt resist pulling it out once more.

Seriously though. Massa's form is really good now. I hope he keeps it up for next season as it would help Ferrari so much.

Good job Felipe Baby. :) Just had an epiphany; Alonso is going to win the WDC by having Felipe baby pass Hamilton at the last corner of Interlagos in the rain as Alonso holds off Vettel for the third step on the podium.
:s ailor: It might look something like this:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s320x320/564764_364893400265773_1180492458_n.jpg

Tazio
27th October 2012, 12:13

So true ! :s I think that is a pretty lame comment coming from Fred, but then again LH, KR and JB are also.
Webber is fighting Marko. :mark: :s tareup:

zako85
27th October 2012, 12:28
I am curious what is it that RBR did to the car these last few races. Prior to Japanese GP, RedBulls were not on the pole position for straight six races.

F1boat
27th October 2012, 12:32
Newey invented something clever :)

wedge
27th October 2012, 14:56
Earlier in the season we had all kinds of different teams up front with many different winners. But that was no good - because the races were deemed lotteries.

Now we have Red Bull up front for more than two consecutive races - and that's no good, because the show is getting boring.

Between these two extremes lies a valley. It's probably wider than the prairies I live in. Somewhere in that valley is a very thin razer's edge, and if the mix in races ever stays on that razer's edge - that tiny little sweet spot - everybody will be happy.

Think it will ever happen?

Watching Fingers win is more bearable than watching Rosberg & Maldonado win the lottery.

As long as there is competition you will never keep everyone happy. It's impossible. I'm not complaining about it, I'm used to it by now. I just won't watch with the same eagerness for the rest of this season but will obviously still watch race highlights. I've got quite frustrated with F1 this year due to tv rights amongst other things and have found myself moving more towards MotoGP which is still shown live here. Getting my tickets for that instead of the F1 next year too. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, would you be saying that if it was McLaren with the superior car?

CaptainRaiden
27th October 2012, 17:12
What difference does it make? He knows there is a part added to his car, so he can still relate changes in the characteristics of the vehicle to knowledge that new parts were added.

Simply knowing what the component is will not make him any faster or give him a greater understanding of how the vehicle works, so there isn't a penalty in not telling him.

What difference will it make? Let's say they installed new brake ducts, or brake calipers, knowing what they do, how they improve what area of the car, and judging by the material used, maybe it gives Lewis a better understanding of how much stopping power he has and where and how the performance can be gained? Even if it is something as small as a winglet or a minute slit in the front or rear wing, new suspension assembly, it can still help the drivers immensely IMO.

Today's drivers are quite bright on the technical front and not just mindless drones motoring along going d'oh when they suddenly find a tenth in a certain sector.

So yes, at this point, I'd say maybe Jenson has a better idea of which area of the car improved, and how.

kfzmeister
27th October 2012, 18:50
I think that is a pretty lame comment coming from Fred, but then again LH, KR and JB are also.
Webber is fighting Marko. :mark: :s tareup:
Zo unleashing psychological warfare. Fingers will undoubtedly feel hurt and insignificant and end up emotionally reacting by making a mistake tomorrow.

kfzmeister
27th October 2012, 18:55

Me thinks that the Macca's have a better chance at Passing the Bulls. If it doesn't happen in the first couple of corners, it certainly will happen on the long straight. RB 311kph, Macca 318kph, Ferrari 321.....That will hand Vettel to Alonso on a silver platter.

gloomyDAY
27th October 2012, 19:37

So true ! :s Indian GP: Alonso says he is 'fighting Newey', not just Vettel - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103780)

I think this statement is just a peek of Alonso's frustration with Ferrari. For as much as I dislike Alonso, I know that he works hard and wants to win another championship. Maybe this is a bit of karma on Ferrari for getting rid of Kimi in such an unceremonious fashion. Their Kimi-replacement can't get the job done with a #1 status and a #2 gunner.

Tazio
27th October 2012, 20:40
Indian GP: Alonso says he is 'fighting Newey', not just Vettel - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103780)

I think this statement is just a peek of Alonso's frustration with Ferrari. For as much as I dislike Alonso, I know that he works hard and wants to win another championship. Maybe this is a bit of karma on Ferrari for getting rid of Kimi in such an unceremonious fashion. Their Kimi-replacement can't get the job done with a #1 status and a #2 gunner.

As I stated earlier in this thread I think that comment was an unnessarry dig at Vettel. But I agree the sentiment is true, not only for Alonso but Kimi, Lewis, and Button. As for Webber; his fight is with Marko, and Horner. :down: Your conspiracy theory about Alonso's karma is wishful thinking, laughably petty and, patentently false on all counts!

gloomyDAY
27th October 2012, 22:51
As I stated earlier in this thread I think that comment was an unnessarry dig at Vettel. But I agree the sentiment is true, not only for Alonso but Kimi, Lewis, and Button. As for Webber; his fight is with Marko, and Horner. :down: Your conspiracy theory about Alonso's karma is wishful thinking, laughably petty and, patentently false on all counts!That's what makes conspiracy theories so much fun! You can't provide empirical evidence that Hell-smut Marko is intentionally throwing Webber under the bus, but we all know that is the case at Red Bull. I also can't prove that Ferrari sabotaged Kimi's 2008 season after winning a WDC the previous year in order to satiate SATANder's appetite for a Spanish driver at Ferrari.

ShiftingGears
28th October 2012, 01:23
What difference will it make? Let's say they installed new brake ducts, or brake calipers, knowing what they do, how they improve what area of the car, and judging by the material used, maybe it gives Lewis a better understanding of how much stopping power he has and where and how the performance can be gained?

Even if it is something as small as a winglet or a minute slit in the front or rear wing, new suspension assembly, it can still help the drivers immensely IMO.

The engineers can still direct his attention to how the car feels under acceleration, turning and braking in order to get his feedback without telling him what components they've added. Where and how the lap time is gained is why teams have sensors installed on the car.

The drivers won't be doing CFD analysis in their head to figure out how to drive a car with one slot on the rear wing or two, nor will they know how to change their braking simply by knowing what the material is.

Today's drivers are quite bright on the technical front and not just mindless drones motoring along going d'oh when they suddenly find a tenth in a certain sector.

I didn't say that. I am saying that they can correlate changes in car set-up with changes in performance, but this isn't fundamentally going to change simply because they know what the new component is.

kfzmeister
28th October 2012, 04:06
Hey, maybe Vettel will get bumped from pole for leaving the track twice during his quali run?? :D
Can't get the photo to upload here, but check out link to it:

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/678484214.png?key=659778&Expires=1351397886&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=tlzGwUlP9ScjV5nQzrCyyEXGEaz9cgL2lqsTZ7Z-H4IguS3gvOwp~q9Wlv9h~r8Esvyrrq4VeufxBjPsu5RR2SJqdH wHDXaQP4VfW7UPotx50zmUZREYPjfXA49st3M58bZvU15XTCaP bLW~rAaHJaMYSnHHZdSr~NoGWtZ-MLY_

airshifter
28th October 2012, 04:19
Hey, maybe Vettel will get bumped from pole for leaving the track twice during his quali run?? :D

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/678484214.png?key=659778&Expires=1351397886&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=tlzGwUlP9ScjV5nQzrCyyEXGEaz9cgL2lqsTZ7Z-H4IguS3gvOwp~q9Wlv9h~r8Esvyrrq4VeufxBjPsu5RR2SJqdH wHDXaQP4VfW7UPotx50zmUZREYPjfXA49st3M58bZvU15XTCaP bLW~rAaHJaMYSnHHZdSr~NoGWtZ-MLY_

Link not working here. I don't recall Vettel going off during his run, unless it was on the curbs that everyone runs wide on. They showed his fast lap from the onboard and it didn't appear he did... but stranger things have happened. Either way I don't think they would do anything about it. Earlier in the year a number of cars set fast laps after going four wheels off, and none of them got nailed for it.

gloomyDAY
28th October 2012, 04:52

Link not working here. I don't recall Vettel going off during his run, unless it was on the curbs that everyone runs wide on. They showed his fast lap from the onboard and it didn't appear he did... but stranger things have happened. Either way I don't think they would do anything about it. Earlier in the year a number of cars set fast laps after going four wheels off, and none of them got nailed for it.Said indiscretion @ :56 mark on a right-hand turn. I think it's a lot of hot air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVsTEcv07DM

kfzmeister
28th October 2012, 05:38
Said indiscretion @ :56 mark on a right-hand turn. I think it's a lot of hot air.

Second time at 1:11 left hander...

Tazio
28th October 2012, 06:04
I also can't prove that Ferrari sabotaged Kimi's 2008 season after winning a WDC the previous year in order to satiate SATANder's appetite for a Spanish driver at Ferrari.And that has what to do with Alonso saying he is competing against Newey not Vettle Swami Diksh!tar? Is it revealed in the Rig Veda?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2Bg1yIUueU&feature=related

gloomyDAY
28th October 2012, 07:14
Second time at 1:11 left hander...No, try again. Vettel had two wheels on the track.

And that has what to do with Alonso saying he is competing against Newey not Vettle Swami Diksh!tar? Is it revealed in the Rig Veda?

Agni Suktam {Subtitles} - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2Bg1yIUueU&feature=related)Well, I'm just stating that Alonso is frustrated with Ferrari because of their crappy car development. Newey may have designed the car, but he can't wield around the track like Vettel.

Dave B
28th October 2012, 08:47
I'll watch qualifying but if its another Vettel pole I'll not watch the race in full. I think the season is decided now and I'll be looking forward to 2013. Well done to Red Bull and Vettel I think.
There are just 6 points separating the leaders! Vettel's on a roll at the moment, more so with Alonso's poor qualifying in India, but the tiniest slip up could tilt the season back in the Spaniard's favour. It's far from decided.

Tazio
28th October 2012, 08:55
No, try again. Vettel had two wheels on the track.
http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/531063_296361657144280_2109674870_n.png

It's very close but I say "let the kids play"

Well, I'm just stating that Alonso is frustrated with Ferrari because of their crappy car development. Newey may have designed the car, but he can't wield around the track like Vettel.

Indian GP: Alonso '100 per cent' sure he will be champion in 2012 - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103800)

Fernando Alonso says he is '100 per cent' convinced that he will win the world championship this year, despite Red Bull's current dominance.
Alonso says it is no surprise that Ferrari was still behind Red Bull, because it had not yet introduced planned big updates that it needs to close the deficit.

When asked by AUTOSPORT if he felt his title hopes were slipping from his grasp, Alonso said: "Not at all. I think it is more challenging for us now, but I remain 100 per cent confident that we will fight for this championship, and we will win it."What I admire about you (and I think most people on this forum know that we are personal "friends") is that your imagination is almost as fertile as mine. :angel: :wave: :)

Dave B
28th October 2012, 09:08
Link not working here. I don't recall Vettel going off during his run, unless it was on the curbs that everyone runs wide on. They showed his fast lap from the onboard and it didn't appear he did... but stranger things have happened. Either way I don't think they would do anything about it. Earlier in the year a number of cars set fast laps after going four wheels off, and none of them got nailed for it.
Apparently the FIA were asked about it and have said it's acceptable at that corner. Can't find a link, it was a Tweet I read through blurry eyes at some unholy hour of the morning.

ArrowsFA1
28th October 2012, 09:11
No, try again. Vettel had two wheels on the track.
Not in the re-run of the lap that I've just seen. Four wheels clearly off the track. According to the Sky commentary there was no penalty because he gained no advantage.

To be clear the F1 regulations state the following:

20.2 Drivers must use the track at all times. For the avoidance of doubt the white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not. A driver will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with the track.
Formula 1 (http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/8683/fia.html)

There's no mention of gaining no advantage being an exception. Drivers - any and all of them - must use the track at all times. Crystal clear.

pino
28th October 2012, 09:24
So any chance to beat Vettel here ? :s

Koz
28th October 2012, 09:26

Yeah, once Lewis runs into him :D

pino
28th October 2012, 09:28
Go Lewis Go ! :p :

steveaki13
28th October 2012, 09:29

Probably only one chance. Off the start and along the back straight. After that it will be tough as no one will see him again.

Tazio
28th October 2012, 09:30
Don't make me come over there :angryfire

Knock-on
28th October 2012, 09:31
Is there a live chat this weekend?

Koz
28th October 2012, 09:32
Hail Caesar!

Tazio
28th October 2012, 09:32
Snap!

pino
28th October 2012, 09:37
Go Alonso !!!

Tazio
28th October 2012, 09:39
What happens to Las Vegas (in San Diego)

is assisted onto an airliner and limps into McCarron on one damaged engine, and rehabs in Las Vegas
SDSU Football: Aztecs Post Game Recap 24-13 Over UNLV! « San Diego Sports Domination (http://sandiegosportsdomination.com/2012/10/27/sdsu-football-aztecs-post-game-recap-24-13-over-unlv/)
Come to think about it, 7 days ago up around Reno Aztecs pull off 39-38 upset victory in OT to stun Nevada | UTSanDiego.com (http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/oct/21/aztecs-pull-39-38-upset-victory-ot-stun-nevada/)
we punked the entire state in just less than one week...... Saaaaaaanap!

ShiftingGears
28th October 2012, 09:44
I wouldn't want to be breathing in there.

Knock-on
28th October 2012, 09:46
McLaren are dead in the wter. Very strange to leave yourself shy on top end.

Knock-on
28th October 2012, 09:56
Not in the re-run of the lap that I've just seen. Four wheels clearly off the track. According to the Sky commentary there was no penalty because he gained no advantage.

To be clear the F1 regulations state the following:

Formula 1 (http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/8683/fia.html)

There's no mention of gaining no advantage being an exception. Drivers - any and all of them - must use the track at all times. Crystal clear.

Yep, I watched that side by side with Alonso and Vettel missed at least 3 apex's AND had all 4 tyres off the track as well on hs fastest lap in Qualifying.

So, not only should that Lap hve been disqualified for leaving the track (even taking into account that scoring a Pole obviously isn't gaining any advantage :rolleyes: ) but that the Red Bull is so much faster than anything else out there that you can make several mistakes and still get pole by over a quarter of a second over the opposition.

That car is stupidly quicker than anything else out there.

JasonPotato
28th October 2012, 10:02
Was hardly worth turning this on. Might as well just watch the highlights tonight. It's getting so predictable and boring, the fact no one can compete with the bulls. I bet hammy will be glad to see the back of mclaren.

Tazio
28th October 2012, 10:04
Fred starting to reel in mark!

steveaki13
28th October 2012, 10:05
Shame someone couldn't jump the Red Bulls at the start, now its Fernando just holding on and hoping for a failure.

Tazio
28th October 2012, 10:06
Took another second off next lap

Tazio
28th October 2012, 10:07
Gap down to 1.8

JasonPotato
28th October 2012, 10:10
Fred to get past web and vettel to retire. Would make it worth watching ;)

Tazio
28th October 2012, 10:10
Felipe begging to come in ;)

longisland
28th October 2012, 10:12
It's a pity. They should have had super soft and soft. Seb is going to win with one stopper

Tazio
28th October 2012, 10:16
Alonso 's tire sare done

pino
28th October 2012, 10:19
Maldonado has a moment :s

Mark
28th October 2012, 10:20
That's unusual lol

JasonPotato
28th October 2012, 10:21
Couldn't of happened to a nicer person.

Go Fred!

steveaki13
28th October 2012, 10:21
new steering wheel for Lewis within 3 or 4 second pit stop. Amazing change. Lets hope its on properly

Tazio
28th October 2012, 10:32
Hamilton is flying!

Koz
28th October 2012, 10:45
Webber sleeping or KERS issue?

JasonPotato
28th October 2012, 10:45
Great overtake, now vettel needs to retire. :D

Tazio
28th October 2012, 10:46
Got him the Boss gonna punk webber too

Koz
28th October 2012, 10:47
Great overtake, now vettel needs to retire. :D

Start praying.

pino
28th October 2012, 10:47
Alonso is flying now !

Tazio
28th October 2012, 10:48
Ham about to grab a podium in 3 laps

longisland
28th October 2012, 10:51
Why Mark always gets the short straw?

Tazio
28th October 2012, 10:53
Why Mark always gets the short straw? P :confused: ;)

JasonPotato
28th October 2012, 10:57
Commentators missed that Fred moment, trying to hard.

steveaki13
28th October 2012, 11:10
Interesting Race without being fantastic.

Seb won at a canter, I think he had more in there if he needed it.

Championship looks even worse now, as Abu Dhabi tends to suggest Red Bull.

F1boat
28th October 2012, 11:13
I am very happy with this victory :-) Vettel drove really well today, as well as Alonso. The final laps were very interesting :)

ShiftingGears
28th October 2012, 11:18
Interesting Race without being fantastic.

Seb won at a canter, I think he had more in there if he needed it.

Championship looks even worse now, as Abu Dhabi tends to suggest Red Bull.

Barring rain, Alonso really needs Vettel to have a mechanical failure during a grand prix to have any chance of the WDC. I don't anticipate Vettel getting into a situation where he crashes out of the race.

CaptainRaiden
28th October 2012, 11:56
That Button, Lewis, Alonso shuffle for third at the start would have been VERY different with a Maldonado or Grosjean thrown into the mix.

I agree with Brundle when he said it was the class of those drivers that resulted in close racing without crashing.

The Black Knight
28th October 2012, 11:58
That Button, Lewis, Alonso shuffle for third at the start would have been VERY different with a Maldonado or Grosjean thrown into the mix.

I agree with Brundle when he said it was the class of those drivers that resulted in close racing without crashing.

Absolutely. You knew watching it as well that none of them would collide because they are all class drivers. I was watching it thinking of the drivers were different the outcome would have been a disaster.

Dave B
28th October 2012, 12:05

Totally agreed: three champions fighting for the same few square metres of tarmac and yet they were totally aware of each others' presence and showed proper respect. That was the highlight of an otherwise ordinary race.

The Black Knight
28th October 2012, 15:38
Unsurprisingly Jenson has blamed tire wear, which his teammate also had, for not being able to keep up the pace with his teammate and Alonso. He neglected to mention that Hamilton still pulled away from him even though he had downshift issues inside the car which caused his steering wheel to be replaced at the first pit stop.

driveace
28th October 2012, 16:59
When asked today Vettel said he had made NO contract with Ferrari for 2014 ! Telling the truth ?

donKey jote
28th October 2012, 18:52

Easy enough to do it, too :D

gloomyDAY
28th October 2012, 21:47
Great race. I just watched it because I wasn't going to stay up until 0230 to watch the race, so I'm happy with the results!

Tazio
28th October 2012, 21:50
Easy enough to do it, too :D

Mind Games and Trash Talk in India, as Vettel Wins and Alonso Brags - NYTimes.com (http://rendezvous.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/mind-games-and-trash-talk-in-india-as-vettel-wins-and-alonso-brags/) ;)

kfzmeister
29th October 2012, 03:31
Horner to Vettel: "Listen, and understand. That Alonso is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead"!

CaptainRaiden
29th October 2012, 08:14
This was quite amazing.

6gL1U_K5atI

Lewis was already onto taking the steering wheel out before the car stopped. :D

Robinho
29th October 2012, 08:53
that was an impressive stop, it was fast even for a conventional stop, without the steering wheel change also, kudos to all involved, not least Lewis for his coordination in getting the car stopped, in neutral, changing the wheel, back in gear and away without and discernable loss of time

The Black Knight
29th October 2012, 08:53
This was quite amazing.

6gL1U_K5atI

Lewis was already onto taking the steering wheel out before the car stopped. :D

Yep, I watched it again numerous of times last night. It amazed me that they got it on so quick. Good call by McLaren but it could have all gone horribly wrong as well. Great stuff.

zako85
29th October 2012, 09:14
I personally didn't like the race a lot. This lame race track was saved only by the DRS. Take the DRS away, and there wouldn't have been any action on it after the first couple of laps.

CaptainRaiden
29th October 2012, 09:39
I personally didn't like the race a lot. This lame race track was saved only by the DRS. Take the DRS away, and there wouldn't have been any action on it after the first couple of laps.

The drivers seem to like it a lot. Button compared it to Suzuka, Spa and Monza.

Knock-on
29th October 2012, 11:14
that was an impressive stop, it was fast even for a conventional stop, without the steering wheel change also, kudos to all involved, not least Lewis for his coordination in getting the car stopped, in neutral, changing the wheel, back in gear and away without and discernable loss of time

It was smooth but when you look at it, not amazing. You can change a wheel in < 2 seconds easily as long as the locating pins line up. As Lewis got the front wheels straight, then it means that as long as the steering wheel went on straight, then the pins were located correctly and the wheel 'snaps' itself in.

It was good control and disipline from Lewis to get the car into Neutral on the run in and get it back into first and away so smoothly but 3.1 seconds is what should be expected but still a very good job done by the team.

I will try and dig out a non-McLaren steering wheel picture if I have one.

kfzmeister
29th October 2012, 11:25
I will try and dig out a non-McLaren steering wheel picture if I have one.

Spare us. I would be more impressed by seeing you pull that off in a few seconds, like the guy who put it on, or Ham who never seemed to miss a beat. That was the ultimate in team work/ timing.

Knock-on
29th October 2012, 11:42
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/knock-on/th_general037.jpg

This is a slightly different system to the McLaren one but you can see the quick release collar. As soon as this locates on the shaft, it snaps in.

Knock-on
29th October 2012, 11:48
Spare us. I would be more impressed by seeing you pull that off in a few seconds, like the guy who put it on, or Ham who never seemed to miss a beat. That was the ultimate in team work/ timing.

It's a well practiced drill executed perfectly. Doing it in the heat of battle puts a lot more stress on the process but it's wht you expect from McLaren.

Tazio
29th October 2012, 13:46
It's a well practiced drill executed perfectly. Doing it in the heat of battle puts a lot more stress on the process but it's wht you expect from McLaren. +1

ShiftingGears
29th October 2012, 13:52
It's a well practiced drill executed perfectly. Doing it in the heat of battle puts a lot more stress on the process but it's wht you expect from McLaren.

Probably not so much after the numerous pitstop errors this season. But the steering wheel change was slick.

Knock-on
29th October 2012, 14:27
There have been a couple of pit stop issues this year but these were during a change of the process and they quickly got it sorted. McLaren have consistently been the fastest pit stop team this year apart from these exceptions and have recorded the fastest ever stop in F1 history during a race of 2.31 seconds. For the record, they already held the fastest pitstop before this as well.

World Record - Fastest F1 Pit Stop by McLaren - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRAvi2iI37g)

Every team has bad stops but taking everything over a season, McLaren are the best out there this year.

AndyL
29th October 2012, 14:31
TMcLaren have consistently been the fastest pit stop team this year apart from these exceptions and have recorded the fastest ever stop in F1 history during a race of 2.31 seconds.

Surely they have been the fastest because of those "exceptions". They made several mistakes and fumbles in pit stops during the early races of the year, as a result of which they spent a lot of time refining and practicing to improve the reliability of their stops. Becoming so fast was almost a side-effect.

Tazio
29th October 2012, 20:07
^^^ Very well stated.
McLaren had to realize how they screwed arguably the fastest pilot in the field out of the WDC lead before they got the pit stops right. But "The Boss" also helped his own losing cause..a little :p :

tfp
29th October 2012, 20:18
I personally didn't like the race a lot. .

I'm glad someone else said what I was thinking. Definetly not one of my favourite races this season.

There have been a couple of pit stop issues this year but these were during a change of the process and they quickly got it sorted. McLaren have consistently been the fastest pit stop team this year apart from these exceptions and have recorded the fastest ever stop in F1 history during a race of 2.31 seconds. For the record, they already held the fastest pitstop before this as well.

World Record - Fastest F1 Pit Stop by McLaren - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRAvi2iI37g)

Every team has bad stops but taking everything over a season, McLaren are the best out there this year.

Its just a shame their race strategy is always rubbish :p

The Black Knight
29th October 2012, 20:30
^^^ Very well stated.
McLaren had to realize how they screwed arguably the fastest pilot in the field out of the WDC lead before they got the pit stops right. But "The Boss" also helped his own losing cause..a little :p :

No he didn't. I can't remember him making a single mistake all year.

TheFamousEccles
30th October 2012, 04:33

Does opening his mouth count? :D

Mia 01
30th October 2012, 08:58
It´s moore as he let his fingers slip a few times, tweedelido tweedelidey.

Tazio
30th October 2012, 14:08
If Bond, James Bond is the symbolism, I suggest Webber is Odd Job, Alonso 007, and you know who as Auric Goldfinger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZxzC3X5ww8

Dr Goodhead is another story. ;)

kfzmeister
31st October 2012, 03:03

Valencia. A seasoned Veteran would have let Maldo go by and collect some good points. See Alonso. ;)

The Black Knight
31st October 2012, 10:32
Valencia. A seasoned Veteran would have let Maldo go by and collect some good points. See Alonso. ;)

It is up to the driver behind to get past without causing a collision. Hamilton was fair the way he defended there, it was Maldonado being a bonehead that caused the incident. I don't believe it right to criticize a driver for defending his position. So yeah, it was an unfortunate incident but not one where blame lies at Hamilton's door, just like I wouldn't lay blame at Alonso's door for Japan. Japan was a racing incident, Valencia was Maldonado's stupidity.

kfzmeister
1st November 2012, 02:31
Hamilton's tires were shot and he made defensive moves that the tires absolutely could not handle. Maldo was gonna get by him one way or another with new tires. Hamilton made his mistake by engaging him, when he should have played it smart and collected some points. Yes, Maldo was at fault, but Hamilton lost out. His mistake. He wishes that he had those points now. Bet

The Black Knight
1st November 2012, 08:49
Hamilton's tires were shot and he made defensive moves that the tires absolutely could not handle. Maldo was gonna get by him one way or another with new tires. Hamilton made his mistake by engaging him, when he should have played it smart and collected some points. Yes, Maldo was at fault, but Hamilton lost out. His mistake. He wishes that he had those points now. Bet

Whether his tires were shot or not you don't give up position easily, that's not what a racer does. Anyway, as you said yourself Maldo was at fault for the crash. I will never criticize a driver for defending his position as that's what drivers should do. I don't think we'll agree on this one :)

Knock-on
1st November 2012, 12:57
Hamilton's tires were shot and he made defensive moves that the tires absolutely could not handle.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Hamiltons tyres handle those moves pretty well?

I thought it was Pastor that lost control and pushed his car too hard which of course is purely Hamiltons fault :rolleyes:

The Black Knight
1st November 2012, 13:10
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Hamiltons tyres handle those moves pretty well?

I thought it was Pastor that lost control and pushed his car too hard which of course is purely Hamiltons fault :rolleyes:

Yep, his tires were shot but he was still able to defend his position well. If they were still in that condition who is to say he wouldn't have kept Pastor behind him. Bottom line is that Hammy did nothing wrong.

wedge
1st November 2012, 13:53
Yep, his tires were shot but he was still able to defend his position well. If they were still in that condition who is to say he wouldn't have kept Pastor behind him. Bottom line is that Hammy did nothing wrong.

What's the point of racing against a lairy driver with history when you might as well get a solid points finish.

His tyres were going off and he was going to be overtaken any way. LH and PM are bad as each other - thinking with their balls instead their head.

But if I had to point fingers it would go straight to LH. He has history in the sort of thing - knowing when to race and when not to. Needlessly raced his team mate at the Brazil 2007, compromised himself at the start of 2008 Japanese GP.

Big Ben
1st November 2012, 14:27
it seems the indian gp was broken this season. Engineers are analyzing why the show manufacturing device didn't work. they suspect it was the drs that failed to produce the expected countless spectacular passes the fans where wating to surprise and amaze them. however they are satisfied by the general reliability of the show mechanism, proof the point being the fact that the 26 passes carried out the last weekend went unnoticed

wedge
1st November 2012, 16:15
He's also displayed on many more occasions that he can race hard and fairly. The start of the race in India is the most recent example and I feel the events of 4 and 5 years ago are not really relevant to the driver he is now. He had every right to defend his position in that incident and playing it safe and collecting points has never been Hamilton's style. He's a racer through and through.

The pressure and ramifications isn't as great.

LH is resigned to leaving McLaren with WDC hopes dashed after Singapore.

Racing has greater risk but greater reward. He easily would have been WDC in 2007 if he had held position and not race Alonso so what do McLaren the year after? They gave him a compromised car whilst rivals ran higher DF aero package so that there was less of a chance of LH cocking it up with needles racing.

CaptainRaiden
1st November 2012, 20:37
I would attribute fault on both sides regarding the incident at Valencia GP.

Lewis was perfectly within his rights to defend, but should have given more room when he saw how much faster Maldonado was with life still left in his tyres. But since there were only a few laps left, he thought he could defend his position.

He probably should have let the kamikaze super Maldonado pass, and salvaged some points, because even a single point is better than no points.

Maldonado should have been patient and pass Lewis on the main straight, which would have been a piece of cake with Lewis's Mclaren being a sitting duck exiting from the final corner. But of course, he had to be a major dick and do his usual hara-kiri right on that lap.