PDA

View Full Version : TG and owners want to buy INDYCAR

00steven
2nd October 2012, 01:33
The sky is now falling!

Tony George leads offer for IndyCar Series - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal | SportsBusiness Daily Global (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/10/01/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/IndyCar.aspx)

:mad: :mad: :mad: :(

FormerFF
2nd October 2012, 04:02
Oy gevalt! (and I'm not even Jewish)

SoCalPVguy
2nd October 2012, 05:29
Denied by all.. makes me think there is something to it, where's there smoke, there's fire

bugeyedgomer
2nd October 2012, 07:57
Where was indycar when Tony made his foray into ownership and where is it now. think where it will be after another 15 years of Tony

nigelred5
2nd October 2012, 11:44
The denial from Hulman and Co focuses on being approached by a team Owner. If a sitting board member was the one discussing the sale from the inside, this denial would be accurate. I see smoke and sparks.....

00steven
2nd October 2012, 12:43
Where was indycar when Tony made his foray into ownership and where is it now. think where it will be after another 15 years of Tony

There won't be another 15 years...

heliocastroneves#3
2nd October 2012, 14:47
Of course there will, just not for the ex-CART/Champ Car fans who all came over to watch the "merged" IndyCar Series and started complaining a lot..... It's even hypocrite as well, the IndyCar Series won't be like CART/Champ Car and never will be and might be even better off when TG gets his hands on the series again.... I dunno but there was a time when the attendance was good in Kansas, Nashville, Chicagoland, Kentucky, Milwaukee to call a couple of examples and this all decreased since TG isn't the boss anymore... I don't care about traditions, I just want to see some good piece of racing with at least a balanced schedule and not a schedule being dominated by road/streets because this series wasn't made for that. Having that said, the current series was made because the racing in the old IndyCar World Series would be too expensive and look what we have now.... There's a terrible economy and the new car is way more expensive and so the engines are.... The IRL was made for reducing the costs, geez...

FIAT1
2nd October 2012, 15:12
TGBB, enough said. I must say that Indycar knows how to keep a tradition on how to find a way to pss off the fans and bring the series to the ground . Oh well ,one more thing to care less about. Good luck.

FIAT1
2nd October 2012, 15:23
IndyCar Series won't be like CART/Champ Car and never will be...

How so true, and that's why no one is watching or showing up at the tracks.

FIAT1
2nd October 2012, 15:27
I dunno but there was a time when the attendance was good in Kansas, Nashville, Chicagoland, Kentucky, Milwaukee to call a couple of examples and this all decreased since TG isn't the boss anymore...

Because the wiseman was spending family inheritance to make it work until smart sisters put stop to the madness.

garyshell
2nd October 2012, 15:33
might be even better off when TG gets his hands on the series again....

What? Are you serious? Oh, that's right it worked so well the last time the idiot grandson took over. Who was it that said anyone who doesn't understand history is destined to repeat it. Sure applies here.

Gary

bugeyedgomer
2nd October 2012, 16:25
Hey be kind. If it wasn't for Tony, Helio wouldn't have three wins

Jag_Warrior
2nd October 2012, 16:39
Well, it worked so well the first time, why the heck not give him another shot? :rolleyes: Maybe he'll bring in RIM as the new title sponsor and the BlackBerry will be the official phone. We'll take bets on whether the series or the title sponsor dies first.

If this happens, please let me know how it works out. I'll be getting off at the next stop... for good this time. I'll be joining the great majority who have already walked out the door.

SoCalPVguy
2nd October 2012, 17:13
It is my gut feeling the "sisters" have had enough... will retain the speedway at this time but done with supporting series... It is published that indycar lost money in 2012, and TG's threat of no profit by 2013 was not an idle one, despite other posters opinions. I also think that Nascar ISC will be calling within 5 years for the speedway with an offer that "cannot be refused" and the aging dowagers will sell out to ensure cash for future generations of lil' georges.

bugeyedgomer
2nd October 2012, 18:42
Of course there will, just not for the ex-CART/Champ Car fans who all came over to watch the "merged" IndyCar Series and started complaining a lot..... It's even hypocrite as well, the IndyCar Series won't be like CART/Champ Car and never will be and might be even better off when TG gets his hands on the series again.... I dunno but there was a time when the attendance was good in Kansas, Nashville, Chicagoland, Kentucky, Milwaukee to call a couple of examples and this all decreased since TG isn't the boss anymore... I don't care about traditions, I just want to see some good piece of racing with at least a balanced schedule and not a schedule being dominated by road/streets because this series wasn't made for that. Having that said, the current series was made because the racing in the old IndyCar World Series would be too expensive and look what we have now.... There's a terrible economy and the new car is way more expensive and so the engines are.... The IRL was made for reducing the costs, geez...

The IRL doesn't race on many ovals any longer because you oval fans don't support ovals, except on message boards, and that doesn't pay the bills. How much longer do you people think the George family is obligated to fund your sport?

00steven
3rd October 2012, 13:39
The IRL doesn't race on many ovals any longer because you oval fans don't support ovals, except on message boards, and that doesn't pay the bills. How much longer do you people think the George family is obligated to fund your sport?

What the hell's the IRL? didn't that die about five years ago?

nigelred5
4th October 2012, 12:31

yeah, because it had too many ovals....

Don Capps
4th October 2012, 12:49

Apparently, the name change to INDYCAR only seems to have taken place beginning with the 2011 season. Or, at least that is what one might gather from the two recent Record Books that have been released.

SarahFan
4th October 2012, 15:50
I support this 100%

Bring it on make it happen let's get it done

Blancvino
4th October 2012, 17:35
Free Game Design: Deck Chair Titanic | Independent Creator (http://www.independentcreator.com/2011-10-02/free-game-design-deck-chair-titanic/)

mike15
9th October 2012, 15:13
I've been coming back to IndyCar because TG is out of it and because of the new chassis and turbo charged engines.
And I agree with the above comment that ovals are only of interest on the web sites and not in the stands.
Any TG involvement will kill the series.

Nem14
12th October 2012, 19:52
From a sponsor marketing and television viewership perspective, the series is already dead.

00steven
13th October 2012, 01:38
From a sponsor marketing and television viewership perspective, the series is already dead.

Yep. The series will be gone in ten years...

Dagger
13th October 2012, 13:26
This is getting old; Anton and his cronies trying to muscle in to take back control of the series and do what? Run it into oblivion? There are many IndyCar fans, myself included, that will finally quit caring until a new open wheel series emerges.

And I for one, hope it is a new series that allows an open chassis and engine development formula. One that brings back the tradition of innovation. One that allows for each team to run a car that is different from their competitor's to gain the winning edge. This new series would not initially be allowed to run at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway while Anton and Co. are dissolving the current traditions. But after the ashes are swept away from the yard of bricks, the new open wheel series would be established with enough credibility and with a loyal following, be add the Indianapolis 500 to its schedule.

Problem is - I most likely live long enough to see this.

Nem14
13th October 2012, 22:23

10 years?

I'll be very surprised if there is a 2014 season.

bugeyedgomer
14th October 2012, 07:53

or when the family no longer writes checks,,,,,,whichever comes first

bugeyedgomer
15th October 2012, 16:17
The IndyCar Series has lost money every year since it was founded in 1996 by George. Sources told IBJ for an Oct. 8 story that while the annual loss has decreased over the last two years, it was $7 million for the 2012 season.

Jag_Warrior
15th October 2012, 18:13
It was kind of (sadly) ironic that at about the same time the IBJ story came out detailing IndyCar's continuing losses, another story came out which detailed F1's prize money/profit sharing plan... amounting to roughly $700 million for fiscal 2011 (http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/10/09/the-value-or-lack-of-it-of-f1-pay-drivers/).

This bid for IndyCar's assets is just another off-track distraction. And IMO, there have been WAY to many of those since 2011. Fans or prospective fans want to hear about the drivers, the teams, the cars, the tracks... even the sponsors. I enjoy studying and reading about business issues. But as a motorsports fan, it's these other things that make me watch. Bringing in yet another set of owners, who probably don't have a plan to right the ship and just want to re-arrange the deck chairs while the iceberg is scraping the hull, just makes me want to switch it off again. Who knows who is actually involved in this proposed ownership group? But whether it's George alone or George and several team owners, this group would definitely include people who have been involved over the years and were unable to do anything during their tenure to improve the situation. Rather, they were there as the series continued to generate losses and lose fans.

Tell me about a new tire supplier. Tell me about the bodykits. Tell me about another (well funded) engine supplier. Tell me about some new hot shoe drivers. Tell me about some new tracks. These guys aren't focused on that and never have been. They're in this sad situation because they've put themselves in this sad situation. I don't feel that they care about me as a fan. So why should I continue caring about them? There's not one team out there that I feel any allegiance toward. There are a couple of drivers that I like, but that's about it. I've been shouting for roughly ten years that any business focused solely on costs, and refuses to focus at all on value, is doomed. That's not some business theory. It's a proven fact. But these clowns continue testing the odds that they can be different. For fans and sponsors, where is the value here??????????

So a new group of clowns steps in and takes over. Great! And their reward is a series that has never made a profit. So they implement a new austerity plan and make this thing even more spec-like and boring than it is now... cause that's apparently all anybody connected with American open wheel formula car racing knows how to do! :mad:

bugeyedgomer
15th October 2012, 19:52
just read that NBCSN has outbid Speed for the F1 broadcast rights

anthonyvop
15th October 2012, 23:56
just read that NBCSN has outbid Speed for the F1 broadcast rights

Speed wasn't outbid. Speed is Turning into a Fox Sports cable channel and Bernie actively went after another network that would have a bigger reach in the USA.
Speed has been stagnant at 77 Million Households and NBCSN passed them last year. Also NBC will produce 100 hours of F1 coverage (That comes out to 5 hours per race weekend) as well as stream all the races live on line.

bugeyedgomer
16th October 2012, 00:52
One source inside the series told IBJ this week that “Bernard is hanging by a thread. A very thin thread.”

same o same o ...like it is his fault or something,,,you ever try to push a wet noodle

SarahFan
16th October 2012, 14:46
Maybe not his fault .. We all know where the gaily lies

But he was brought in to increases butts and eyeballs

And it's gone the wrong direction

bugeyedgomer
16th October 2012, 15:52
How many more will they throw to the wolves before a lightbulb goes off
is there even a lightbulb somewhere

Starter
16th October 2012, 17:20
Things should get a little better next year. F1 coming to NBCSC will allow lots of opportunities for cross promotion if the network is smart. Hope Randy can hang on till then.

The question still remains - who would they get if they dump Randy?

SarahFan
16th October 2012, 17:45
Come on starter we have been hearing that BS for years

The Olympics are coming
Hockey is back
Its NBCSports now

Blah blah
Now it's F1

garyshell
16th October 2012, 18:26
Ken, would you have been happy with an Indycar tv deal with Speed?

Gary

jarrambide
17th October 2012, 00:34
Ken, would you have been happy with an Indycar tv deal with Speed?

Gary

Pick any channel (with the exception of any of the networks) and no one will be happy, the problem is that no sports channel will bring viewers or increase ticket sales, lots channels on cable, lots of choices, no tv contract will help a series unless they can get people to care about the series first, the problem is that many fans like me don't care anymore, and the racing wasn't bad this year, and yet I don't care that much, if I miss a race, no biggie, I don't have a fave driver, I don't hate any drivers, I didn't know who was in first place in the overall stands most of the weeks.

I don't think anyone can save this series, but then again, I never imagined AOWR would become this, shows you how much I know.

zako85
17th October 2012, 11:30

Why gone? The series can run on as tight budget as it needs to IMO. Virtually no one watches Grand Am's Rolex sports car races, but that series still goes on and amazingly with multiple chassis and engine manufacturers in the DP category, and that's all fans should care about.

00steven
17th October 2012, 12:22
Why gone? The series can run on as tight budget as it needs to IMO. Virtually no one watches Grand Am's Rolex sports car races, but that series still goes on and amazingly with multiple chassis and engine manufacturers in the DP category, and that's all fans should care about.

$$$ Indycar is trying to survive as a big time series when clearly they are not. They won't scale back until it's too late, imo.

bricarr2
17th October 2012, 13:13
Jose:

Its sad what has become of AOWR. But you're right it might be so damaged that no one can save it, with the exception of--ahem, NASCAR.

DBell
17th October 2012, 13:56
Jose:

Its sad what has become of AOWR. But you're right it might be so damaged that no one can save it, with the exception of--ahem, NASCAR.

Judging by what their (NASCAR) version of sports car racing is (Grand Am), I don't think Nascar's version of what open wheel racing should be is something that I would care to watch.

bugeyedgomer
20th October 2012, 06:38
The board of directors of Hulman & Company accepted the resignation of Anton H. "Tony" George from the board Friday, Oct. 19. The resignation is effective immediately.

"Tony George has made the difficult decision to resign from the board because of his involvement with a group that has recently expressed an interest in purchasing the Hulman & Company-owned INDYCAR organization," said Jeff Belskus, Hulman & Company president and CEO. "While the business is not for sale and no offers to sell it have been considered or are being considered, we applaud Tony's efforts to resolve the appearance of a conflict and appreciate the gravity of this decision."
INDYCAR: Tony George Resigns From Hulman & Co Board of Directors (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-tony-george-resigns-from-hulman-co-board-of-directors/)

00steven
20th October 2012, 22:26
The end is nigh.

thetruthbigd
21st October 2012, 14:06
The board of directors of Hulman & Company accepted the resignation of Anton H. "Tony" George from the board Friday, Oct. 19. The resignation is effective immediately....
One could interpret this news to be an indication that TGTG is going to pull the trigger on the buyout. Otherwise, why would he quit?

Starter
21st October 2012, 16:16
One could interpret this news to be an indication that TGTG is going to pull the trigger on the buyout. Otherwise, why would he quit?
Quit or forced to resign?

Nem14
21st October 2012, 18:35
we applaud Tony's efforts to resolve the appearance of a conflict

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it probably is a duck.

FormerFF
22nd October 2012, 03:43
Honestly, if there is a buyout along the lines that the IBJ described, it could be a positive, provided that TG is just one of a number of investors, and remains as a mostly silent partner. If he winds up running things again, then I'll go back to watching F1 and ignoring IndyCar.

jarrambide
22nd October 2012, 03:48
Honestly, if there is a buyout along the lines that the IBJ described, it could be a positive, provided that TG is just one of a number of investors, and remains as a mostly silent partner. If he winds up running things again, then I'll go back to watching F1 and ignoring IndyCar.

He is resigning a position on the board of directors of the company that owns Indycar to be one of a number of investors and be a silent partner of Indycar?

He used to be the president of the IMS, CEO of Indycar and the President of Hulman and Company, now he is only a board memeber of H&C and he is resigning to be just a silent partner?

Being a board member is better than nothing, but not what he used to be, if he is trying to buy Indycar, my guess is that he wants part of the power he used to have.

FormerFF
22nd October 2012, 03:49
One more thing: I can't imagine that Roger Penske and Chip Ganassi would get involved in a deal where TG was anything more than an investor. You'd have to be a damn fool to trust your money with someone who has failed so consistently and spectacularly as TG.

Jag_Warrior
22nd October 2012, 10:31
Why not just let it die a peaceful death? Why torture it and put it through this charade?

I'm not going to get political here. But this really is a big part of what's killing this country. The very same people who prove time and time again that they know absolutely NOTHING about offering a better product will raise their hand if they think they can turn a buck by employing financial schemes. You know as well as I do that if these village idiots had offered us fans better on track and off track products, they wouldn't be in this mess.

So tell me, what are they going to do next year that they didn't do this year, the year before or the year before that? If Boy George comes back to lead the charge, I can tell you exactly what they'll be doing in my case: putting on races that I will NOT bother watching! What a bunch of talking chimps! The whole lot of them! Oh yeah, and here's one for the road: FTG!!!

Chris R
22nd October 2012, 13:30
Here's hoping Robin Miller's take on this in his article today is realistic and not optimistic.... I hope TG is done for once and for all - but I kind of doubt it....

As for what Jag said - yeah, this is an fine example of the mediocrity that is sweeping the nation(world?)... There is no practical way the TG should be in any sort of position to threaten Indycar ever again - just because he was such a colossal failure in the past - yet - here he is and there are people out there who support him....

I see this same trend in an alarming number of places and endeavors again and again...... "Our problem" is not necessary Tony George or even any individual politician, CEO, etc. It is that once "we" see someone proven to be mediocre, rather than moving on and giving someone else a shot at being excellent, we bring back mediocrity again and again.....

To compound matters further, when we do embrace "excellence" it is often fairy-tale like impossible (does anyone really doubt that Lance Armstrong and 99% of the field was doping??) and instead of embracing actual excellence we embrace some manufactured version of it....

I do not have any of the answers as to what it will take to make Indycar excellent again - but I can eliminate a few and Tony George is not a part of any of the potentially correct answers.....

Mark in Oshawa
23rd October 2012, 02:17
For Tony to get back in, he needs backers, which means there are some really dumb people out there with money. I have to say I am like Jose, I watch, but I cant get into it as deep as I used to. The racing has been terrific, but I think there is so much competition on the TV landscape for my time, I sometimes missed it. A lousy TV partner here in Canada tape delayed and jerked their broadcasts around. They did change that this year up coming, so at least I know I will find them on a reliable basis, but it still doesn't change they are sort of just in neutral. I don't know how things change for the better, but any group with Tony George IMO is putting a knife to the throat of the beast and bleeding it slowly...

bugeyedgomer
23rd October 2012, 17:41
source says it will be with Asian investors. I can't wait til the Chinese flag is flying over IMS

bugeyedgomer
23rd October 2012, 21:45
it's a done deal

Cavin says done deal according to sources at IMS. Bernard out by end of week and momma's boy to takeover. YMMV.

bugeyedgomer
23rd October 2012, 23:09
Randy Bernard out as IndyCar CEO? - Autoweek (http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121023/INDYCAR/121029936)

FormerFF
25th October 2012, 03:19
it's a done deal

Cavin says done deal according to sources at IMS. Bernard out by end of week and momma's boy to takeover. YMMV.

If Tony winds up in a management position, I'm not sure I'll be watching much next year. It's not that I'm full of righteous indignation, but I have to put up with well-connected incompetents telling me what to do at work, I don't know that I care to watch a series run by a similarly well connected incompetent. I haven't followed F1 in a few years, that may be a good series to add to my playlist.

Jag_Warrior
25th October 2012, 19:47
I haven't followed F1 in a few years, that may be a good series to add to my playlist.

Ah, you've been missing some truly amazing racing, my friend. The past 2-3 years have been some of the best since I started watching F1 back in the 70's. Other than the cars being three shades of ugly this year, the racing has never been better. 7 different winners in the first 7 races to start the season. Great stuff, IMO.

I'm truly sorry that Indy Car wants to commit suicide. But I feel no sense of responsibility. I feel like I did all I could (reasonably) do as a fan. I came back and I tried to be a fan again. I enjoyed the races this year. I thought the on-track action was very good. But this series seems determined to shoot itself in the foot with all of this off-track foolishness. So... when/if the announcement is made that Tony George is back in charge, at that very moment I will delete Indy Car from my Tivo Season Pass list.

Tell 'em how it's gotta be! Sing it, Keef!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRJLXaJ8Cms

bugeyedgomer
26th October 2012, 01:17
word is someone sobered up Ma George and whatever deal was in the works is off

Chris R
26th October 2012, 17:25

I gotta ask - are you serious or just making light of the situation??

bugeyedgomer
26th October 2012, 18:06
I gotta ask - are you serious or just making light of the situation??

the part about the deal is true, the rest was added for levity

SoCalPVguy
27th October 2012, 00:12

Sorry - I think it is going through...

IndyCar Series owners have fired CEO Randy Bernard, sources familiar with the situation told IBJ on Friday afternoon.

However, an official for the IndyCar Series and Indianapolis Motor Speedway denied that Bernard has been fired.

hello Effff Teee Geeee and goodbye me as an Indy fan

Starter
27th October 2012, 00:47
Sorry - I think it is going through...

IndyCar Series owners have fired CEO Randy Bernard, sources familiar with the situation told IBJ on Friday afternoon.

However, an official for the IndyCar Series and Indianapolis Motor Speedway denied that Bernard has been fired.

hello Effff Teee Geeee and goodbye me as an Indy fan
I read it as very much NOT a done deal and you may be a bit premature in bailing.

SoCalPVguy
27th October 2012, 05:36
Oh I will not bail until its official.. I'd like to think the board has received a lot of blow back from other owners, press, fans, etc... and the deal will be reconsidered and Bernard retained for the balance of his contract.

SoCalPVguy
27th October 2012, 05:38
I read it as very much NOT a done deal and you may be a bit premature in bailing.

Not sure what to make of this ...

The IndyStar is reporting that a consulting group has been hired.

http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpe...d-for-indycar/ (http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpert/2012/10/25/consulting-group-secured-for-indycar/)

The Boston Consulting Group has been secured by IndyCar’s parent company to weigh in with a long-term strategic plan for the series.

That’s the latest news since Tony George, who is interested in purchasing IndyCar from Hulman & Co., resigned from the company’s board of directors last week.

George filed an expression of interest to buy IndyCar on Oct. 5, although his supporters were not identified and he has not been reached for comment. Hulman & Co. officials have repeatedly said IndyCar is not for sale.

George resigned as IndyCar’s CEO following his removal as Indianapolis Motor Speedway CEO in June of 2009. Six months later, Randy Bernard was hired to take George’s place.

Bernard has not offered comment on the matter.

Starter
27th October 2012, 10:18
There are a whole bunch of unsubstantiated rumors floating around. Randy's gone; TG and friends are buying the series; the series is for sale - or maybe not; a "group of owners" has placed a bid, but no one will say which owners. TG resigned from the board - or was he pushed out? Too many questions and no answers so far. Some said Randy would be gone by yesterday at the latest - he's still there as far as we know.

Who is floating all the rumors? What is their agenda? This is signing time of the year for most sponsorship deals. An attempt to poison the waters? If so, to what end? Maybe I just have a suspicious mind and am out in left field, but there is too much crap going on for it to be accidental.

bugeyedgomer
27th October 2012, 19:04
There are a whole bunch of unsubstantiated rumors floating around. Randy's gone; TG and friends are buying the series; the series is for sale - or maybe not; a "group of owners" has placed a bid, but no one will say which owners. TG resigned from the board - or was he pushed out? Too many questions and no answers so far. Some said Randy would be gone by yesterday at the latest - he's still there as far as we know.

Who is floating all the rumors? What is their agenda? This is signing time of the year for most sponsorship deals. An attempt to poison the waters? If so, to what end? Maybe I just have a suspicious mind and am out in left field, but there is too much crap going on for it to be accidental.

it's the off season and more than likely it's a family feud where the mother spent 700 million dollars of the family's money and the brother wants it for pennies

bugeyedgomer
3rd November 2012, 16:46
another takeover group is being formed

Blancvino
5th November 2012, 13:00

This has the last year of ChampCar written all over it.

New cars
Series owners who stopped feeding the kitty
Series owners pissed off
No one watching on TV
No one showing up at the races

Did I miss anything?

Results:
Izod bails
No new tile sponsor
Brickyard 400 is renamed Indy 500 and moved to Memorial Day weekend
Charlotte NASCAR race date is changed

There are more guitar pickers in Nashville than IndyCar fans (and that's 1,352 according the the Lovin' Spoonful song "Nashville Cats").
Put a fork in this series, it's done!

Starter
5th November 2012, 13:20
Why would another group have any more luck than the last one?

One possibility is NASCAR buying the series in late 2013 and running it as double header weekends with the ALMS/GrandAm mix they just bought.

Chris R
5th November 2012, 19:47

New cars
Series owners who stopped feeding the kitty
Series owners pissed off
No one watching on TV
No one showing up at the races

Did I miss anything?

Results:
Izod bails
No new tile sponsor

There are more guitar pickers in Nashville than IndyCar fans (and that's 1,352 according the the Lovin' Spoonful song "Nashville Cats").

The parallels are disheartening to say the least - but also undeniable.....

bugeyedgomer
6th November 2012, 01:14
Why would another group have any more luck than the last one?

No Tony???? But a rational mind can't predict the actions of irrational people

BTW, did everyone notice there were no owners in Tony's group?

bugeyedgomer
6th November 2012, 01:24

Results:
Izod bails
No new tile sponsor

I can see the IRL 500 moved to Monday, but the Charlotte 600 is NASCAR's 2nd biggest race

F1boat
7th November 2012, 18:25
I have to admit that I haven't followed the series this year (except checking the results and watching some YouTube clips), but still I think that it would be a shame if the Indy Car disappears. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that this is the only open-wheel series, except F1, which isn't for developing young drivers.