PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Checo

Knock-on
28th September 2012, 08:12
Looking forward to what the young man can do in a leading car. He deserves this chance and I'm sure he will do well :up:

Robinho
28th September 2012, 08:31
It'll be all Johnnie Walker and Tequila in Woking from now on

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Knock-on
28th September 2012, 10:27
I'm back in Mexico next week and a know a little Cantina where the barman and I will slowly turn into Cacti one night :D

Malbec
28th September 2012, 10:49
Good luck to Perez. As I posted in another thread I'm yet to be convinced that he's the real deal but we'll find that out next year. No more hiding places, he'll have to deliver more regularly on both Saturday and Sunday.

Question is, will the Mexican sponsorship package follow him from Switzerland to Woking? Given its size if Sauber loses it they'll be fighting for survival next year...

AndyL
28th September 2012, 11:27
Question is, will the Mexican sponsorship package follow him from Switzerland to Woking? Given its size if Sauber loses it they'll be fighting for survival next year...

That's a good point. I assume it will. According to James Allen's blog, Vodafone and Telmex have an existing business relationship so it would be a good fit in McLaren's overall sponsorship package. Could be a problem for everyone's second favourite team. Let's hope they can find a replacement driver with a big name to attract the sponsors... can we think of anyone like that who's out of a job next year? ;)

I am evil Homer
28th September 2012, 11:32
Yes but i'm not sure Massa has much sponsorship to bring....

;)

Malbec
28th September 2012, 11:48
Let's hope they can find a replacement driver with a big name to attract the sponsors... can we think of anyone like that who's out of a job next year? ;)

Poor guy, this is the second time Schumi has been unceremoniously dumped to make way for a faster younger replacement. Does he really have it in him to carry on another season.?

I think Perez was awaiting a contract extension at Sauber so I'm not convinced they can extract a buying out fee from McLaren for him, but on the other hand Peter Sauber is a wily old fox used to selling on young hotshots so I hope he managed to get something out of the deal...

N. Jones
28th September 2012, 12:01
WOW!

Good luck to Perez! I think he will excel at McLaren.

yodasarmpit
28th September 2012, 12:41
Great move by McLaren, although I was hoping it would have been Paul.

tfp
28th September 2012, 13:12
Wow heard the news this morning. Still quite surprised by it! At least mclaren have a good replacement. But im still a bit dissappinted it wasnt di resta!
Well, looks like weve got a good year for f1 next year already.
Also, where does the name checo come from? I get lost in all the nicknames, britney, fred, bieber, bunson, lulu, superman:-)

gm99
28th September 2012, 13:39
Also, where does the name checo come from? I get lost in all the nicknames, britney, fred, bieber, bunson, lulu, superman:-)

Anyone named "Sergio" is being called "Checo" by the Mexicans, I think.

wedge
28th September 2012, 14:55
Good luck to Perez. As I posted in another thread I'm yet to be convinced that he's the real deal but we'll find that out next year. No more hiding places, he'll have to deliver more regularly on both Saturday and Sunday.

He's young and some aspects need refinement. Apart controlling red mist I don't think its much different to Alonso's early Renault days or Vettel/STR.

In a McLaren we'll see how good Perez really is.

I'll bet Button wished he had that opportunity in his career. Better late than never, I suppose.

gm99
28th September 2012, 15:49
I wonder if McLaren will be third-time-lucky with a Spanish speaking driver after Montoya and Alonso (not counting De La Rosa).

rjbetty
28th September 2012, 20:25
Poor guy, this is the second time Schumi has been unceremoniously dumped to make way for a faster younger replacement. Does he really have it in him to carry on another season?

I don't think Kimi was/is faster than Michael. :p
I hope he can stay a bit longer. Despite all the potshots people have taken at him, he has performed at a pretty high level this season overall, I think. And I'd say even now he is one of the top 10 drivers in F1. Like Rubens Barrichello at Ferrari, it's easy to underestimate how good the guy is in his own right just because he hasn't compared well to his team-mate, until this year.

Btw I like how this place is a little more active following all the recent revelations.

Hamilton to Mercedes
Schumacher Out
McLaren signs Perez
Sébastien Loeb retiring (effectively) from WRC
Hyundai returns to WRC

It's been an eventful week. :)

steveaki13
28th September 2012, 21:30
Wow.

I was suprised to hear this news this morning.

This is a big step up for Sergio and I hope he is ready for it. He now has to have a good race everyweekend, and not a few times a season.

This is also make or break for Jenson IMO. Afterall next season Jenson will be seen as number one and if Mclaren have a championship winning car he will be the one expected to challenge for the title.
If he beats Perez and wins a title or has a shot at the title the Jenson is at the top in F1 and answers questions, however if Perez comes in and matches or beats Jenson. Then clearly his place at the top table might come to an end and he might begin the downward journey.

Good Luck Sergio. He now unlike many drivers who drift into F1 and stay a while and disappear with only the odd podium, he has a chance to win races and the championship.

CNR
30th September 2012, 00:57

Perez Not Bringing Money To McLaren, Says Manager Fernandez
F1: Perez Not Bringing Money To McLaren, Says Manager Fernandez (http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-sergio-perez-not-bringing-money-to-mclaren-says-manager-fernandez/)

Sergio Perez’s new manager Adrian Fernandez insists that his protégé is not bringing money to McLaren.

Former Champcar/IndyCar racer Fernandez worked with Sergio’s father before the future F1 star was even born, and has helped him in the background over the years via his connections with Telmex. He has now formally taken over the management role.

“Sergio is an unbelievable driver and he has earned his place at McLaren,” said Fernandez on his website. “He is not bringing money to the team. He has been hired to race. His performances earned him this position, and that made my job easier because people were interested in him.

jarrambide
30th September 2012, 01:22
Anyone named "Sergio" is being called "Checo" by the Mexicans, I think.

His nockname is the closes I can think of the English nicknames based on your name.

If your name is Robert, you become Bobby or Bob.
If your name is Nicholas, you become Nick.
If your name is Joseph, you become Joe.

In many speaking countries, the same applies.
In almost every country, most people named Jose become Pepe.
If your name is Francisco, depending on the country you become Paco or Pancho.
If your name is roberto, you become Beto.
If your name is Sergio, you become Checo.

jarrambide
30th September 2012, 01:29

Since I like Sauber, I constructed a scenario in which TELMEX stays as Sauber's main sponsor.

TELMEX is Slim's biggest company, his other companies have operations in more than one country, but TELMEX pretty much only operates in Mexico.

I'm hoping Slim will not want to pay McLaren money to be the main sponsor for a brand that operates in only one country.

I'm hoping Slim will then choose to be the main sponsor of Sauber over being one of the smaller sponsors with McLaren, giving him the chance of getting his other driver to F1, Esteban Gutierrez.

donKey jote
1st October 2012, 18:48
His nockname is the closes I can think of the English nicknames based on your name.

If your name is Robert, you become Bobby or Bob.
If your name is Nicholas, you become Nick.
If your name is Joseph, you become Joe.

In many speaking countries, the same applies.
In almost every country, most people named Jose become Pepe.
If your name is Francisco, depending on the country you become Paco or Pancho.
If your name is roberto, you become Beto.
If your name is Sergio, you become Checo.

And if your name in Manuel, you become Manolo (dos con leche y uno sólo) :D

Knock-on
1st October 2012, 19:20
Knock-on > Knockie. Ohh, I get it now :)

jarrambide
2nd October 2012, 00:44
And if your name in Manuel, you become Manolo (dos con leche y uno sólo) :D

O lo que es lo mismo pero diferente, Malone, two with milk and one alone, o como lo dirían mis padres, tu guit milc and juan aloun.

donKey jote
2nd October 2012, 19:19
Reminds me of what Romney called those two Mexican firemen:
José and Hose B :arrows: :andrea:

N4D13
10th October 2012, 12:20
Over the last few days, people have been complaining about the decision to bring Pérez into McLaren, as he might still be making more mistakes than he should and his quali pace isn't all that great. However, they are missing a few points: first, it's obvious that Checo has a huge talent, and so it was a clever move from McLaren to ensure that Ferrari couldn't get their hands on him; secondly, it's not just about qualifying and being fast straight out of the box. Pérez has managed to pull off extremely great performances through tyre management, which is key to F1 races these days, and that's something that not many other drivers can boast about.

So, all in all, even if Button were to beat him regularly in 2013, it won't mean that it was a bad decision to sign him - not only do I expect him to pull off a great performance every now and then, but I also believe that experience could make Pérez a very powerful driver and a contender for the WDC. Maybe he's not the fastest guy there is, but the guy is definitely not bad.

Malbec
10th October 2012, 12:46
Over the last few days, people have been complaining about the decision to bring Pérez into McLaren, as he might still be making more mistakes than he should and his quali pace isn't all that great. However, they are missing a few points: first, it's obvious that Checo has a huge talent, and so it was a clever move from McLaren to ensure that Ferrari couldn't get their hands on him; secondly, it's not just about qualifying and being fast straight out of the box. Pérez has managed to pull off extremely great performances through tyre management, which is key to F1 races these days, and that's something that not many other drivers can boast about.

Where is this huge talent manifested? I really don't get it.

I'm a Sauber fan and frankly I'm disappointed in him (and Kobayashi too this season). He's lost the team a lot of points this season.

Show me just one performance this year when he's qualified well then gone on to score a decent fistful of points RACING with the people around him on similar strategies? Just one will do.

A lot of people focus on the podiums he's scored due to alternate strategies. Thats great and I'm grateful for the points he's scored for the team. Have you asked yourselves what he's done in the other 12 races?

Oh and give me a break about the preserving tyres nonsense. Thats down to the car and was only the case last season. This year the Sauber in the hands of both drivers hasn't preserved its tyres well at all. If any car has proven itself capable of that this season its the Force India.

steveaki13
10th October 2012, 19:58
I like Sergio and think he does have talent, however whether he is ready for a top team, remains to be seen.

I think its quite similar to 2008 when they signed Kovalainen from just one season in a Renault.

He will need to get his car into the top 2 or 3 rows regularly and be composed and consistant and score points.

Cant wait to see how it goes.

CaptainRaiden
13th November 2012, 11:09
Well, the boy certainly isn't lacking in self belief. Targeting WDC already, which is only natural in a front running team.

Pérez targets title in maiden McLaren season - GPUpdate.net (http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/287144/perez-targets-title-in-maiden-mclaren-season/)

Sergio Pérez is to push for the world title when he joins McLaren at the start of next season. The Mexican, who will in 2013 begin his third F1 campaign, finished GP2 runner-up before joining Sauber where he has now clinched three podium finishes.

Pérez switches to McLaren as Lewis Hamilton moves on to Mercedes. Although he is yet to score for Sauber since signing the new contract and many are linking this to the pressure generated by the Woking connection, he remains fully confident.

“My target straight away is to win the World Championship,” he told CNN. “I need to get wins to do that. I know it will be very hard to win the championship, but it's the challenge I want.”

Moving on to discuss the Hamilton departure, Pérez added:

“For sure, I've got big shoes to fill. I rate him very highly and he's maybe the fastest out there. It's going to be tough to follow what he did.”

Jenson Button will race alongside Pérez, beginning what will be his fourth season with McLaren after moving from title-winning Brawn at the end of 2009.

A lot of factors to consider in this. He hasn't really shone in qualifying, and so at this moment his qualifying pace remains a question mark. Can he get rid of his erratic driving style in time for 2013 for the consistency needed to win the WDC? Only time will tell. The first few races next year, especially his performance against Jenson are going to answer a lot of questions. Can't wait!

Tazio
13th November 2012, 17:37
It should be interesting; if he gets off to a very slow start Britannia will go nuclear. ;)

Koz
13th November 2012, 18:52
Well, the boy certainly isn't lacking in self belief. Targeting WDC already, which is only natural in a front running team.

Pérez targets title in maiden McLaren season - GPUpdate.net (http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/287144/perez-targets-title-in-maiden-mclaren-season/)

A lot of factors to consider in this. He hasn't really shone in qualifying, and so at this moment his qualifying pace remains a question mark. Can he get rid of his erratic driving style in time for 2013 for the consistency needed to win the WDC? Only time will tell. The first few races next year, especially his performance against Jenson are going to answer a lot of questions. Can't wait!

Maybe if he cools down a little, he'll finish in the top 7 next season.

I think the bigger question is, how good is he when he's not a crazy tyre strategy. Nothing good has come from him since he signed for McLaren, overconfidence is just as bad as having none.

jarrambide
14th November 2012, 03:55
Maybe if he cools down a little, he'll finish in the top 7 next season.

I think the bigger question is, how good is he when he's not a crazy tyre strategy. Nothing good has come from him since he signed for McLaren, overconfidence is just as bad as having none.

I don't think is overconfidence, I think that it is in fact the contrary.

He started to get very consistent results when Sauber was able to control his impulses, he was still over taking cars on track, but he wasn't taking his usual all or nothing type of maneuvers, he was waiting for the right time.

When McLaren announced him as Lewis' replacement and many started to question that choice, he went back to the all or nothing maneuvers, as if he had something to prove, I actually think he wants to prove to everyone that McLaren was right, he has a chip on his shoulder, a confident driver would not care or would not try to prove a point.

Hopefully McLaren will make him understand that a good driver needs to learn how to balance risk and reward.

Tazio
14th November 2012, 06:42
When McLaren announced him as Lewis' replacement and many started to question that choice, he went back to the all or nothing maneuvers, as if he had something to prove, I actually think he wants to prove to everyone that McLaren was right, he has a chip on his shoulder, a confident driver would not care or would not try to prove a point.
With all due respect, wouldn't a sensible driver with a contract in his pocket wait until he actually drove a McLaren in anger before he started worrying about how worthy he is of that drive, and help Sauber that has a realistic chance of moving up one place, or down one place in the WDC succeed? :confused:

Hopefully none of this will matter next year, and he will have a successful campaign. :)

Tazio
14th November 2012, 12:08
^^^^^ Of course I meant WCC

Malbec
14th November 2012, 18:49
I don't think is overconfidence, I think that it is in fact the contrary.

He started to get very consistent results when Sauber was able to control his impulses, he was still over taking cars on track, but he wasn't taking his usual all or nothing type of maneuvers, he was waiting for the right time.

Actually Sergio's attitude towards overtaking used to be extremely conservative for most of 2011. While Kamui would carve his way through traffic like a hot knife through butter Sergio took far fewer risks and would often stop dead after coming up behind slightly slower cars. That partly explains the massive points deficit he had last season vs his teammate.

Its only earlier this season that Sergio became an aggressive overtaker as if he had taken a conscious decision to improve this aspect of his driving. A lot of his overtaking was only successful because the overtakees relented and he has had a lot of incidents as a result peppered throughout the season.

Hopefully McLaren will make him understand that a good driver needs to learn how to balance risk and reward.

I really don't think his attitude towards overtaking (which is what has landed him in trouble since signing for McLaren) has changed since before Suzuka when he signed. He's just as aggressive as he was earlier.

Part of the problem is that he's been unlucky in that his overtaking moves really haven't worked out but part of the problem is that people have really started to watch him with a critical eye. Thats especially true of the commentators who couldn't see past his three podiums and only really looked at his overall performance since Suzuka.

I maintain that he's a very high risk signing for McLaren, a team that has the luxury of not having to take those risks.

jarrambide
15th November 2012, 02:15
Malbec, I actually saw a difference between his first quarter of this season and his second quarter, I actually saw him waiting for the right moment to pass, unlike his first quarter in ehich he would try to overtake every time he was near another car, the difference in his driving came after Sauber said he had to calm down a little bit.

I'm not saying he stopped overtaking or that he stopped taking risks, I'm saying he started to choose wiser, then he was signed by McLaren and he stopped choosing when to overtake, he started to try and overtake every single time he had a car in front of him.

Mia 01
15th November 2012, 10:19
Personally I´m convinced that MacLaren was wery suprised by Lewis departure. Perez wasn´t their plan B or C, moore like plan F. As a former fan of the team I feel a bit sorry for them next year. It could be that hte team is on a Williams slope.

F1boat
15th November 2012, 10:28
Personally I´m convinced that MacLaren was wery suprised by Lewis departure. Perez wasn´t their plan B or C, moore like plan F. As a former fan of the team I feel a bit sorry for them next year. It could be that hte team is on a Williams slope.
I know that many people think so, but I personally doubt that. I think that Jenson will be more confident, knowing that he IS the champion in the team. I think that he will do well as the car will be build to be more suitable for him. About Sergio my personal opinion is that he was taken to be a nice teammate for Jenson, talented and able to get good results, but not to threaten the team leader. I also think that it is very likely that the next year's McLaren will be better than their current challenger - as quick as it but probably a lot more reliable. I am not sure that McLaren will be able to challenge Red Bull, but I think that they can beat Alonso and Ferrari, especially if the Spaniard fails to win this year's championship.

Firstgear
15th November 2012, 15:26
Does anyone else feel like they've seen this show at McLaren before, about a decade ago.
The faster exciting driver/team leader moves on; the slower methodical more stable driver whose been around the block stays on; the hot new 'next generation' driver comes in to try and prove himself.

Hakinnen ---> Lewis
DC ---> Button
Kimi ---> Sergio

I'm just wondering how long before Sergio is in, and then out of Ferrari and goes over to try rally :p

Malbec
15th November 2012, 17:01
Does anyone else feel like they've seen this show at McLaren before, about a decade ago.
The faster exciting driver/team leader moves on; the slower methodical more stable driver whose been around the block stays on; the hot new 'next generation' driver comes in to try and prove himself.

Hakinnen ---> Lewis
DC ---> Button
Kimi ---> Sergio

I'm just wondering how long before Sergio is in, and then out of Ferrari and goes over to try rally :p

No, we've seen this pattern there more recently.

Kimi leaving abruptly resulting in an untested rookie being promoted at late notice (Lewis) after McLaren couldn't find a suitable experienced replacement.

Fernando leaving equally abruptly resulting in a second rate driver (Heikki) being signed at short notice.

Only difference this time is that McLaren had all the time in the world to choose the replacement and chose Perez very hastily.

Firstgear
15th November 2012, 18:18
I guess pattern recognition isn't your strong suit. ;)

Neither of the examples you listed have a seasoned/reliable/somewhat slower teammate (the DC or Button type driver) staying behind.

Anyway, I just thought the similarities in the current situation with the year Kimi arrived were too similar to resist posting. Probably it's just the way I view the drivers involved, and if others view them differently - they won't think there's a similarity at all.

Malbec
15th November 2012, 23:25
I guess pattern recognition isn't your strong suit. ;)

Neither of the examples you listed have a seasoned/reliable/somewhat slower teammate (the DC or Button type driver) staying behind.

Anyway, I just thought the similarities in the current situation with the year Kimi arrived were too similar to resist posting. Probably it's just the way I view the drivers involved, and if others view them differently - they won't think there's a similarity at all.

Well, personally I think the pattern with McLaren is that they lose good drivers at short notice without a clear succession plan. Whatever one thinks of Ferrari the same criticism could never be levelled at them. They've got a problem with driver management and this is something they need to acknowledge and sort out.

BTW I wouldn't want to compare Sergio with Kimi. Peter Sauber was asked which of his old drivers Sergio was most similar to. He ignored Sauber luminaries such as Kimi, Kubica or Vettel and said he was most similar to Massa. Make of that what you will....