PDA

View Full Version : Ryder Cup

Knock-on
27th September 2012, 12:20
Well, will the mercurial Europeans hand the Americans their ass again on their home turf or can the Yanks build on 2008 and pull themselves out of the festering pit of recent Ryder Cup failures and halt the embarrassment.

Let the fun and games begin ;)

Knock-on
27th September 2012, 13:25
My friend. Get Sky with Sports and you get free F1 :D

Either that or have a few days down the boozer which will cost as much as Sky for the year ;)

After all, the Yanks are saying we're a one trick pony with Rory so it'll be great to see us wtch them eat their usual helping of Humble Pie. Whine with that :laugh:

race aficionado
27th September 2012, 18:03
:champion: USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! :champion:

Knock-on
27th September 2012, 19:06
Oh dear RA, will you ever learn :p

Things may have quietened down a bit from 99 and the Seve and Azinger dys but it's great to take on the enemy again in the most ungentlemanly contest of the gentlemans game.

Let battle commence :D

BDunnell
27th September 2012, 19:11
I hope Europe win, and its a shame we don't make more of a fuss about the Ryder cup in this Country.

I am convinced that this is in large part because of the lack of terrestrial TV coverage.

race aficionado
29th September 2012, 04:57
Day 1
:)

Colsairts .... saved Europe from an afternoon ass whopping.

janvanvurpa
29th September 2012, 16:39
Golf?
GOLF???
:arrows:

race aficionado
30th September 2012, 04:07
Knock-knock-(on)

Who's there? :s mokin:

USA: 10 Europe 6

That's who's there! :D

It will take a Miracle at Medinah to get you out of that deep deep deep bunker.

Hey . . . . . but you never know. If the Europeans all go "Poulter" on the USA, then maybe, maybe. . . . . NOT! ;)

Knock-on
30th September 2012, 11:00
Well, the Americans have it pretty much sown up. Great first afternoon where they were amazing from tee to hole blew the Europeans apart.

race aficionado
30th September 2012, 23:14
Knockie and Euros,
You've got your miracle at Medinah.
Congratulations.
:)

D-Type
30th September 2012, 23:32
Well, well, well, who'd have believed it!
It couldn't have been much closer at the finish, could it?
What a shame we couldn't see it on TV. (unless you had pay to view)

Roamy
1st October 2012, 00:54
No intestinal fortitude. Davis Love played the prevent defense which means you prevent yourself from winning. Hats off to the Euros for a exceptional performance despite the fact we are a nation in decline. We will probably have to annex another country if we ever want to win the Ryder Cup. We have turned into the permanent Rydee. To me Poulter is the no 1 golfer in the world.

Knock-on
1st October 2012, 07:59
It was amazing. Truly the spirit of Seve was in the air.

2 people were instrumental in this victory for me; Poulter and Woods.

Knock-on
1st October 2012, 09:53
The moment Rose sunk that putt on the 17th and turned, open wristed to the crowd, you knew the steel was in the team. No fist pumping, no bubble-eyed yelling; just the unspoken statement that he was committed to tht win and wouldn't be denied.

And Phil, what a Gentleman. He must hve been shocked and stunned over the last 3 holes but showed the statesmanship and sportsmanship that has sometimes been missing. Kucher should take note.

By the time it was 11-12 to the US, you knew it was all over. They just couldn't win and then Westwood Tied it at 12-12, Furyk missed his Putt and Europe took the lead.

All that was left was for Kaymer to retain the Cup and Molinari to atone for his thinned chip on 17 wih a great win down 18 which gave Europe the outright victory.

The impossibly was completed and the gretest fight-back in Golfing history was sealed.

And people wonder why The Ryder Cup captures such as wide ranging audience??

turves
1st October 2012, 10:56
:champion: USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! :champion:

US Oh, US Oh, US oh...

Ryder Cup all but locked up for U.S. - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/golf/rydercup12/story/_/id/8434982/ryder-cup-all-locked-us)

Great article...

BDunnell
1st October 2012, 11:38
Hats off to the Euros for a exceptional performance despite the fact we are a nation in decline.

I don't think that is either true, or that it has anything to do with the result at all.

Without question, this was one of the most dramatic sporting events I have ever known. Quite unbelievable. Also, quite sweet that, in the end, the bellicose barracking by elements of the crowd had no effect.

Donney
1st October 2012, 16:08
Brilliant analysis... :D

race aficionado
1st October 2012, 19:48
Finger pointing (by fans and sport writers) on this end of the pond is hilarious.

The sense of shock and dumbfoundness is rampant - and rightly so. What a turnaround!

Roamy
2nd October 2012, 01:17
what a bunch of choking hacks we have

janvanvurpa
2nd October 2012, 06:36
Well, well, well, who'd have believed it!
It couldn't have been much closer at the finish, could it?
What a shame we couldn't see it on TV. (unless you had pay to view)

See it on TV?
Some slightly chubby clean cut boys standing on grass staring at a little white ball.
Eventually, he may tap the ball..

Grass is green, the clothes and people the same and 99.89% of the time they are standing still.
What's to watch?

D-Type
2nd October 2012, 07:54
See it on TV?
Some slightly chubby clean cut boys standing on grass staring at a little white ball.
Eventually, he may tap the ball..

Grass is green, the clothes and people the same and 99.89% of the time they are standing still.
What's to watch?
(a) an event
(b) a drama unfolding
(c) arrogant Americans being taken down a peg

Kielder
2nd October 2012, 12:13
I'd appreciate if someone posts a link to download the event. It's impossible to find it.

Knock-on
2nd October 2012, 12:29
In the UK you can use the BBC but I don't know outside?

Kielder
2nd October 2012, 14:41

In Spain C+ is repeating the event, but there's no way to record it. I can't find a torrent of the three days from the BBC live or whatever :( .

janvanvurpa
2nd October 2012, 16:00
If you don't play golf I suppose watching it would be immensely boring and the observations you have made will make sense. I play golf so your observations just seem silly to me. Then again I don't play ice hockey, but would never dream of posting in that thread as my opinion would likely be unwelcome based on my lack of knowledge. :)

There are many things which I do that I get a lot of pleasure from,
but cannot imagine sitting and watching other people do it.
Reading.
Having a shower after a hard a sweaty day
Having a cup of tea like right now.
Watching a good movie
Driving the mighty Saab V4 rally car sideways in the woods at my amateur level

But I can't imagine any fun in watching another say reading a book, or watching a movie.

And I cannot imagine watching some strangers just stand motionless and staring at a ball they either wallop or tap.

I try real hard and I can imagine that the challenge to hit the ball could conceivably be a challenge enough to want to give it a try.... After all there's all sorts of thing people do which seem odd to outsiders..

But to watch some rich guy just standing looking down........????
That's worse than baseball.

janvanvurpa
2nd October 2012, 17:49
That's hardly the same as watching somebody play a sport that you also play where you watch for tips and techniques. Plus the competitive element comes into it too. A lot can be picked up from studying the professionals. I did say if you don't play golf then I would understand why 'some' would find it boring, but that's not really what this thread was about. I don't think we need to argue this in this thread really, as its unnecessary. :)

Who is arguing?
Just find the whole thing odd in the extreme. But then I find the absurd arguing on virtually all of these forums absurd since 99.8% of all the participants are arguing about things they just watch.

donKey jote
2nd October 2012, 17:56

I think you could outside too? :andrea: :p

race aficionado
3rd October 2012, 18:26
So the next one is in 2 more years???
And in Europe???

That will be a long wait for the shell shocked USA team.

And also 2 more years for the Europeans to savor.

Roamy
4th October 2012, 02:32
well they play the presidents cup next year and that could help heal the wound or add more salt depending on how we do.