PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton gone

FormerFF
22nd September 2012, 19:08
Edmonton IndyCar race folds after promoter Octane Motorsports pulls out - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/edmonton-indycar-race-folds-after-promoter-octane-motorsports-pulls-out/2012/09/21/c54894d6-044e-11e2-9132-f2750cd65f97_story.html)

Bummer.

GRW1983
22nd September 2012, 20:21
Looks like Quebec is in the frame for 2014 to be Edmonton's replacement.

SoCalPVguy
23rd September 2012, 11:15
Another venue lost. tell me again how we we're going to have 20 races next year ??? Oh yeah, we'll race twice per weekend at 10 places each year

GRW1983
23rd September 2012, 21:16
Another venue lost. tell me again how we we're going to have 20 races next year ??? Oh yeah, we'll race twice per weekend at 10 places each year
Have faith SoCalPVguy, I reckon the schedule will be 19 races at 17 venues next year. Only Detroit & Sonoma look like being doubleheaders & it looks likes Pocono, Providence & Houston will join the remaining 14 venues. We could get to 20, if IndyCar can get a late deal to replace Edmonton, but Randy Bernard has said that 2-4 doubleheaders could happen, so 20 races is achieveable.

FormerFF
24th September 2012, 03:33
I'd rather have fewer races that are stable and can be used to build a series on, than more races, a few of which are always on shaky ground. Randy says 19, Roger Penske said 15 or 16 is plenty. I gotta go with Roger on this one.

anthonyvop
24th September 2012, 04:50
I'd rather have fewer races that are stable and can be used to build a series on, than more races, a few of which are always on shaky ground. Randy says 19, Roger Penske said 15 or 16 is plenty. I gotta go with Roger on this one.

Agreed
As I would rather see 15-20 well funded cars than 26 complaining about $$$

Mark in Oshawa
23rd October 2012, 02:56
Edmonton being gone is more part of Octane's trying to protect their promotion in Montreal. They killed the Nationwide race there and they had full stands with fans paying prices higher than I would pay and they still supposedly lost money. Edmonton I am not sure was part of their problems or just a victim of it. I really don't know. I do know that I love that track in Edmonton. It put on a great show, and the fans out there that did show up thought it was fantastic. Ya know, racing where people appreciate the product helps.....and I don't always get the impression the people in other struggling markets are as deserving...but hey, with no one in Edmonton willing to pony up the cash, it is dead just the same.

Don Capps
23rd October 2012, 15:00

Interesting how more is rarely better when it comes to automobile racing. IndyCar needs to find 12-15 events that it can build upon for more than a season ot so and also provide a decent product to both the those buying the tickets and the promoters, which in turn brings in the sponsors. A Vicious cycle that IndyCar is now definitely behind the curve on and with not very bright prospects at the moment.

FormerFF
24th October 2012, 04:37
Interesting how more is rarely better when it comes to automobile racing. IndyCar needs to find 12-15 events that it can build upon for more than a season ot so and also provide a decent product to both the those buying the tickets and the promoters, which in turn brings in the sponsors. A Vicious cycle that IndyCar is now definitely behind the curve on and with not very bright prospects at the moment.

The ALMS has come out and said that their business model consists of not more than 10 races. I do think that the trend is to fewer bigger events, so I'm not sure why Indycar thinks 19 is a good number. I hear it's their contractual obligation with someone (Izod?) but they may want to rethink that in the future.

anthonyvop
28th October 2012, 01:47
The ALMS has come out and said that their business model consists of not more than 10 races. I do think that the trend is to fewer bigger events, so I'm not sure why Indycar thinks 19 is a good number. I hear it's their contractual obligation with someone (Izod?) but they may want to rethink that in the future.

ALMS limits itself to 10 races because it is an endurance series. Just Sebring alone is huge wear and tear on cars. Every car at the least needs a total rebuild. Add in many 4 hour events and the Petit and they put on more miles in 10 races that Indycar does in 16.

BDunnell
28th October 2012, 21:07
Interesting how more is rarely better when it comes to automobile racing.

I agree. I don't think F1, despite its healthier status than present-day IndyCar racing, gains anything from having such a long calendar (except in terms of money for Ecclestone et al.)

Mark in Oshawa
10th November 2012, 21:23
NASCAR runs 36 weeks a year and part of the reason they I think have taken fans from Indycar is because there is very little break. Every weekend you know there is a race on.....and to an extent, if Indycar was going to run 18 or 19 weekends, a I would love to see them run March to August and just run EVERY weekend...maybe a week off in mid summer....