PDA

View Full Version : Toyota & the Top 35 ...

RaceFanStan
31st March 2007, 20:27
Going into Martinsville, ALL the Toyotas are OUT of the Top 35 in Owner’s Points :eek:
36. Dave Blaney ~ #22 ~ Bill Davis Racing –21 points
37. Brian Vickers ~ #83 ~ Red Bull Racing –24 points
38. Dale Jarrett ~ #44 ~ Michael Waltrip Racing –26 points
45. David Reutimann ~ #00 ~ Michael Waltrip Racing –177 points
46. Jeremy Mayfield ~ #36 ~ Bill Davis Racing –198 points
49. A.J. Allmendinger ~ #84 ~ Red Bull Racing –239 points
50. Michael Waltrip ~ #55 ~ Michael Waltrip Racing –307 points
(–points are how far the drivers are out of 35th in Owner’s Points)

NOTE : Michael Waltrip & Brian Vickers DID NOT QUALIFY @ Martinsville :s

cgs
31st March 2007, 20:43
i noticed that earlier in the week aswell, but they did manage to qualify 5 out of those 7 into the martinsville race, and the #36 was flying aswell. a great rebound for that team after a disappointing start, and Dale Jarrett didn't need to use his past champions provisional either.

Vez
31st March 2007, 21:29
Brian Vickers would of been in the top 35 in think if he hadn't of been taken out, at Atlanta (& qualified for all races), he's been doing alright when running.
Daytona - DNQ
California - 10th (started 15th)
Las Vegas - DNQ
Atlanta - 42nd (started 31st) (LL) though before the accident I think he was running in the top 20
Bristol - 15 (started 25) (LL)
Martinsville - DNQ

Dave Blaney may have qualified for all of the races but hasn't finished well (best finish 23rd)
Daytona - 34 (started 37) parked up
California - 39 (started 14) engine
Las Vegas - 42 (started 11) accident
Atlanta - 27 (started 35) (LL)
Bristol - 23 (started 7)
Martinsville - starts 22

Dale Jarrett may have qualified for all of the races but hasn't finished well (best finish 22)
Daytona - 22 (started 43)
California - 32 (started 43)
Las Vegas - 33 (started 43)
Atlanta - 36 (started 43)
Bristol - 42 (started 30) accident
Martinsville - starts 38

David Reutimann
Daytona - 40 (started 40) accident
California - 33 (started 33) accident
Las Vegas - DNQ
Atlanta - 40 (started 24)
Bristol - DNQ
Martinsville - starts 43

AJ Allmendinger
Daytona - DNQ
California - DNQ
Las Vegas - DNQ
Atlanta - DNQ
Bristol - 40 (started 43)
Martinsville - starts 40

Jeremy Mayfield
Daytona - DNQ
California - DNQ
Las Vegas - DNQ
Atlanta - DNQ
Bristol - 34 (started 23)
Martinsville - starts 13

Michael Waltrip
Daytona - 30 (started 15)
California - DNQ
Las Vegas - DNQ
Atlanta - DNQ
Bristol - DNQ
Martinsville - DNQ

So looking at the stats Brian seems to be the best Toyota driver. Lets see what happens after Martinsville. :cool:

BenRoethig
2nd April 2007, 13:45
Coming into Texas (owners points):

38: 44 Dale Jarrett
39: 22 Dave Blaney
42: 83 Brian Vickers
45: 00 David Reutimann
46: 36 Jeremy Mayfield
48: 84 A.J. Allmendinger
50: 55 Mikey "Negative Points" Waltrip

Toyota has to do something drastic fast or I could see some big races without a Toyota presence. I could also seem them out of cup entirely by the Pepsi 400. I don't see the sponsors or a foreign owned team like Red Bull sticking around much longer unless something changes. Toyota's handling of their cup program has been an absolute disaster. From personnel to the teams they've chosen they've made extremely poor choices. Even if they had the option of a top team right now, I don't think one would touch Toyota with a ten foot pole the way they're running.

cgs
2nd April 2007, 14:02
and to think, everyone was moaning before they came in that they would be winning races from the start!

Lee Roy
2nd April 2007, 14:19
and to think, everyone was moaning before they came in that they would be winning races from the start!

Yep. I recall all the fans from other racing series coming over here to tell us how Toyota was going to stand NASCAR on it's ear. They seem mighty quiet now. ;)

dont_be_jack
2nd April 2007, 14:58

I still think that one of the Toyota drivers will win a race this year. It may not be the way they want and it may not be a car that led a lot of laps during the race, but it might end up being on pit strategy.

Mark in Oshawa
2nd April 2007, 16:27
Toyota didn't take over OW racing right away, they struggled for years, often for the same reasons they are fighting now, picking the wrong people.

Toyota went to some unproven team owners and a lot of new blood, and it is biting them in the @ss right now. If they had managed to convince a good exisiting team (Bill Davis was the only team of note they took on, and they were at the back of the pack often) such as Penske South, or Gibbs, they might have had much better results.

A few of the drivers they have actually aren't not doing bad(DJ, Vickers and Blaney) and are half decent with the right equipment, but there is just too much NEW. New teams, new equipment, new managers, and time will tell if they gel. I think they will limp along like they are now through the year, and in the off season open up the wallets to get more experienced help....

Sparky1329
2nd April 2007, 19:02
I think their affiliations are a big part of the problem. Alex Meshkin took Toyota to the cleaners pretty easily. One has to wonder.

dwboogityfan
2nd April 2007, 20:55
The top 35 rule is a shambles but I'm really surprised to see Toyota struggling quite so much. However, more of the cars made the race at Martinsville at least and they will improve.
It was always going to be problem for them with cars like the 2 Ginn cars in the first five races and now they have teams like the #10 to compete with.
It would be fairer to all the teams if the fastest 43 cars qualified or if NASCAR does want a safeguard for the best teams give 40 spots on speed and 3 provisionals.

RaceFanStan
3rd April 2007, 04:39
After Martinsville, there are still NO Toyotas in the top 35 in Owner's Points. :eek:
All the Toyotas have to attempt to make the race @ Texas on speed. :eek:

BenRoethig
3rd April 2007, 12:28
After Martinsville, there are still NO Toyotas in the top 35 in Owner's Points. :eek:
All the Toyotas have to attempt to make the race @ Texas on speed. :eek:

DJ has a couple PCs left.

BenRoethig
3rd April 2007, 12:30
The top 35 rule is a shambles but I'm really surprised to see Toyota struggling quite so much. However, more of the cars made the race at Martinsville at least and they will improve.
It was always going to be problem for them with cars like the 2 Ginn cars in the first five races and now they have teams like the #10 to compete with.
It would be fairer to all the teams if the fastest 43 cars qualified or if NASCAR does want a safeguard for the best teams give 40 spots on speed and 3 provisionals.

Even if it had been on speed plus seven provisionals like it used to be, the Toyotas would still have a tough time making the races. They're just plain slow.