PDA

View Full Version : BTCC Knockhill

Alfa Fan
26th August 2012, 16:21
Bad, bad looking crash at the start of the Ginetta race.

Haven't seen anything that serious looking since the Proctor / Breeze incident at Oulton in 2009. Hope its not as serious as that.

Edit: Fortunately not, all seem to be OK. Looked pretty nasty.

Captain VXR
26th August 2012, 17:48
Decent finish to the last race.

Tixy54
26th August 2012, 18:43
With regard to the incident in the first race concerning Jason Plato and Aaron Smith the way I saw it was that Plato was weaving about to try to keep the S2000 spec cars behind him, because he already had a problem of some sort, Smith made a clean move to the outside, Tom Onslow-Cole came down Plato's inside causing Plato to steer left to avoid a collision, thereby cutting across the path of Smith who was making a clean and legal overtaking manoeuvre.

Therefore, Smith should not have been penalised at all. If "Triple8 Racing" appeal then I feel the "Redstone Racing" should appeal also.

I'm interested to hear other views on this.

BDunnell
26th August 2012, 19:35
Good day for BMW — all three drivers very competitive. O'Neill impressive, too.

christophulus
26th August 2012, 19:39
With regard to the incident in the first race concerning Jason Plato and Aaron Smith the way I saw it was that Plato was weaving about to try to keep the S2000 spec cars behind him, because he already had a problem of some sort, Smith made a clean move to the outside, Tom Onslow-Cole came down Plato's inside causing Plato to steer left to avoid a collision, thereby cutting across the path of Smith who was making a clean and legal overtaking manoeuvre.

Therefore, Smith should not have been penalised at all. If "Triple8 Racing" appeal then I feel the "Redstone Racing" should appeal also.

I didn't really see how it was Smith's fault, Plato was weaving and they just touched.

A good day's racing all in, nice to see the BMWs back on some sort of form, although is that purely down to the track?

BDunnell
26th August 2012, 19:56
A good day's racing all in, nice to see the BMWs back on some sort of form, although is that purely down to the track?

Possibly, but I expect them to go well at Rockingham too given that they did last year.

Tixy54
26th August 2012, 20:02
Good day for BMW — all three drivers very competitive. O'Neill impressive, too.

Wel said, spot on.

wedge
29th August 2012, 16:12

Pretty much how I saw it.

Plato is a 2@ of the highest order. Never his fault. Always shooting his mouth. Enjoys raping Team Dynamics' rears.

BDunnell
29th August 2012, 17:31
He looked to be acting as a roadblock on those opening laps. Generally I don't find the amounts of contact in the BTCC acceptable, but on this occasion I'm not surprised at all that something happened. Certainly not worth a licence being taken away.

JasonPotato
29th August 2012, 21:35
Gets rather boring talking about Plato every week but in my own opinion i think Smith should of got a timed penalty for the contact. It's easy to say he should of just let him past but hes a racer and wanted to defend his position, after all it's not his fault he has a speed disadvantage. The fact that they have such a speed difference is rather boring.
Good to see the BMW's back up there though.

tisme
31st August 2012, 18:26
Just found this link on another forum.

Team Boss David Bartrum has got it right.

Motorbase Performance | Team Boss David Bartrum's Blog | BTCC and British GT Championship (http://www.motorbaseperformance.co.uk/boss-blog.html)

Darlo
31st August 2012, 20:25
Just found this link on another forum.

Team Boss David Bartrum has got it right.

Motorbase Performance | Team Boss David Bartrum's Blog | BTCC and British GT Championship (http://www.motorbaseperformance.co.uk/boss-blog.html)

I am a huge Jason Plato fan and would normally jump straight to his defence, however on this occasion and having listened to the Plato interview I've had to take stock. I can see why Jason would be frustrated having seen a potentially rewarding weekend end in the gravel too soon and it is easy to react to a situation without knowing the full facts of the incident.

That said, it is clear for all to see, that Aron Smith is neither incompetent or the sort of driver that would do this on purpose. He was fired up from a brilliant qualifying result and was hoping to capitalise with a strong result. Nothing more than adrenaline.

David Bartrum, again someone who I respect highly, makes some very valid points and is admirable in the support of his driver, however I would suggest there are one or two points in the blog where he too steps slightly over the line in terms of comment.

In summary, it was clearly a racing incident, the reaction by JP was unjustified, he has in no way dented Aron's image and Aron in turn has maintained his integrity throughout, and in my opinion last weekend proved what a fantastic racing driver he is, and subsequently what a great all round bloke he is too.

Tixy54
6th September 2012, 20:20
I've just listened to the Jason Plato interview on Dave Bartrums blog. What Jason is saying is exactly what he did to Gordon Sheddon at Donington Park. I'll have some of what he's been smoking, please.