PDA

View Full Version : Apple triumphs over Samsung, awarded over $1 billion damages

Jag_Warrior
25th August 2012, 01:17
Apple triumphs over Samsung, awarded over $1 billion damages (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/24/us-apple-samsung-trial-idUSBRE87N13V20120824)

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:37pm EDT

(Reuters) - Apple Inc. scored a sweeping legal victory over Samsung on Friday as a U.S. jury found the Korean company had copied critical features of the hugely popular iPhone and iPad (http://www.reuters.com/subjects/ipad) and awarded the U.S. company $1.051 billion in damages.

The verdict -- which came much sooner than expected -- could lead to an outright ban on sales of key Samsung products and will likely solidify Apple's dominance of the exploding mobile computing market.

A number of companies that sell smartphones based on Google's Android operating system may now face further legal challenges from Apple, a company that is already among the largest and most profitable in business history.

Shares in Apple, which just this week became the biggest company by market value in history, climbed almost 2 percent to a record high of $675 in after-hours trade.

Brian Love, a Santa Clara law school professor, described it as a crushing victory for Apple: "This is the best-case scenario Apple could have hoped for."

Needless to say, Samsung will appeal. But in light of how AAPL has reacted in after-hours trading, Apple running the table was pretty much unexpected by the market.

ioan
25th August 2012, 01:27
Needless to say, Samsung will appeal. But in light of how AAPL has reacted in after-hours trading, Apple running the table was pretty much unexpected by the market.

Interesting isn't it? The court delivered a verdict that no one was expecting. Wouldn't be the first verdict that favors Apple to be later overturned. So stay tuned.

race aficionado
25th August 2012, 01:37
iCaramba!!!!!

Jag_Warrior
25th August 2012, 04:13
Something very ironic that I didn't realize when I made the OP: today is the one year anniversary of Tim Cook taking over as the CEO of Apple.

A billion dollars or a card & cake? I think I'd take the billion dollars. :D

airshifter
25th August 2012, 04:38
Well of course they won in court Jag. See when you have never invented anything it's always really easy to win these types of patent cases. It's as easy as telling the court you made it first, then they give you a load of money.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to court to state I was thinking about posting the thread first, and then see if they will award me your Apple stocks. Let me just make a call to the judge real quick and set it up... :laugh:

Wait for all the haters to come crawling out of the woodwork.

race aficionado
25th August 2012, 04:39
What the hey!
Let's just post more links.
What the Apple-Samsung verdict means for your smartphone - Aug. 24, 2012 (http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/24/technology/apple-samsung-verdict/?iphoneemail)

donKey jote
25th August 2012, 08:59
Wait for all the haters to come crawling out of the woodwork.

Wonder whether a South Korean jury would have reached the same conclusion :andrea: :laugh:

At least my Apple stock is doing good. I'll have to watch my Samsung and Google though :p

BleAivano
25th August 2012, 09:30
Wonder whether a South Korean jury would have reached the same conclusion :andrea: :laugh:

At least my Apple stock is doing good. I'll have to watch my Samsung and Google though :p

No they didn't. Samsung won over Apple in South Korea earlier on the week.
Samsung wins Korean battle in Apple patent war - Business - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2012/08/24/apple-samsung-patent-trial.html)
S. Korea court awards wins to Samsung, Apple | ZDNet (http://www.zdnet.com/s-korea-court-awards-wins-to-samsung-apple-7000003116/)

Quite expected. Apple manipulates the evidences and the American court looks the other way. :rolleyes:

Apple May Have Manipulated Evidence Against Samsung in Patent War - International Business Times (http://newyork.ibtimes.com/articles/198219/20110815/apple-samsung-patent-war-ipad-2-galaxy-tab-10-1-flaw.htm)
Dutch Site Finds Manipulated Evidence in Apple Samsung Filing | News | The Mac Observer (http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/dutch_site_finds_manipulated_evidence_in_apple_sam sung_filing/)
Apple files inaccurate evidence in Dutch Samsung case - ComputerworldUK.com (http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/mobile-wireless/3298055/apple-files-inaccurate-evidence-again-in-vicious-case-over-samsung-galaxy-tab)

I think Apple will only loose from this in the end. Huge negative publicity which will benefit their rivals, after all there are a world outside the USA.

Malbec
25th August 2012, 09:55
Samsung wins Korean battle in Apple patent war - Business - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2012/08/24/apple-samsung-patent-trial.html)
S. Korea court awards wins to Samsung, Apple | ZDNet (http://www.zdnet.com/s-korea-court-awards-wins-to-samsung-apple-7000003116/)

The Korean court blocked sales of both Apple and Samsung products. That was quite a sensible decision IMO.

Quite expected. Apple manipulates the evidences and the American court looks the other way. :rolleyes:

Apple May Have Manipulated Evidence Against Samsung in Patent War - International Business Times (http://newyork.ibtimes.com/articles/198219/20110815/apple-samsung-patent-war-ipad-2-galaxy-tab-10-1-flaw.htm)
Dutch Site Finds Manipulated Evidence in Apple Samsung Filing | News | The Mac Observer (http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/dutch_site_finds_manipulated_evidence_in_apple_sam sung_filing/)
Apple files inaccurate evidence in Dutch Samsung case - ComputerworldUK.com (http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/mobile-wireless/3298055/apple-files-inaccurate-evidence-again-in-vicious-case-over-samsung-galaxy-tab)

I think Apple will only loose from this in the end. Huge negative publicity which will benefit their rivals, after all there are a world outside the USA.

Where do we begin?

First, the 'manipulated evidence' you refer to is an altered aspect ratio on a single photo, one of tens of thousands of bits of unbelievably petty details that are submitted to court. Given that in the court cases real samples of both Samsung and Apple products were submitted to the judge and jury do you think they'd have placed greater emphasis on a photo or the real products in front of them?

Secondly Europe is not the US, they are two separate entities. The articles you link to refer to a court case in Europe, not the current US case.

As to who loses out of this case and others, frankly I think the consumer comes worst off as we may be denied certain products if the courts decide to ban them. Also as pointed out by an American senior judge in a well written article I read recently the judicial system also suffers as they have to trudge through pages and pages of rubbish to sort out what is effectively a marketing ploy by these companies to block sales by their rivals.

But in this individual case I believe Samsung loses. Not only has it been hit by a big fine, as a components supplier for other companies it does not want to get the reputation that it will copy technologies from its clients.

donKey jote
25th August 2012, 10:18
As to who loses out of this case and others, frankly I think the consumer comes worst off as we may be denied certain products if the courts decide to ban them. Also as pointed out by an American senior judge in a well written article I read recently the judicial system also suffers as they have to trudge through pages and pages of rubbish to sort out what is effectively a marketing ploy by these companies to block sales by their rivals.

But in this individual case I believe Samsung loses. Not only has it been hit by a big fine, as a components supplier for other companies it does not want to get the reputation that it will copy technologies from its clients.

yep

Dave B
25th August 2012, 14:52

Samsung won in Seoul, Apple won in California. It's almost as if there's an inherent bias in the system towards the home team....

donKey jote
25th August 2012, 15:33
... so Apple might win in the UK and Samsung in (the rest of) Europe ... :erm: :andrea: :p

tfp
25th August 2012, 16:34
1 billion dollars or something? Does apple really need all that money? They should give it to charity or something.

race aficionado
25th August 2012, 17:28
Or to me or something.

ioan
25th August 2012, 17:53

Apple is afraid of Samsung's products market recognition. They have got to the point where they know that the only way to stop Samsung gaining further market share (they already have over 30% of the smartphone market) is to try to have them stopped in funny cases which are filled in the US since the ones in Europe were overturned.

ioan
25th August 2012, 17:54
Where do we begin?

First, the 'manipulated evidence' you refer to is an altered aspect ratio on a single photo,

A cheat is a cheat, no matter in how many pictures.

BleAivano
25th August 2012, 18:20
Apple is afraid of Samsung's products market recognition. They have got to the point where they know that the only way to
stop Samsung gaining further market share (they already have over 30% of the smartphone market) is to try to have them stopped in funny cases
which are filled in the US since the ones in Europe were overturned.

yeah i agree.

As i said before, i however think that this strategy eventually will backfire.

Imo if Apple really wants to challenge Samsung/Android they need to start produce a wider range of phones and surf pads.
Which i think is why Android have such a large part of the smart phone market at the moment.

A wide range of phones from smaller cheaper more simple phones to the flagships like Sm.S3 and HOX.

Malbec
25th August 2012, 19:22

More likely a genuine human error.

I find it laughable that people believe that in such a high profile case, one side would deliberately falsify evidence in such a simple way that would be blown as soon as jurors got to hold the two products side by side. They wouldn't. If anything was to be falsified it would be in such an insidious way that the opposing legal team and engineers would have difficulty spotting it, not be obvious to a five year old.

Also I don't think this will affect Apple or Samsung's images among consumers, apart from geeks few people know or care about these cases. This case is just one of many, Apple won this one but they won't win them all. I think most unbiased intelligent observers will be able to realise that they are all as bad as each other, engaging in a silly timewasting tactic to knock sales off each other.

Malbec
25th August 2012, 19:26
Imo if Apple really wants to challenge Samsung/Android they need to start produce a wider range of phones and surf pads.
Which i think is why Android have such a large part of the smart phone market at the moment.

A wide range of phones from smaller cheaper more simple phones to the flagships like Sm.S3 and HOX.

I'd be interested to find out why Apple don't do this.

Premium brands in other markets have been able to extend their reach downwards without harming their brand image, Mercedes and its A and B classes is a good example.

Maybe its because Apple think it will take sales away from their high end iPhones as people would just buy the cheapest ones they could get, after all most smartphone customers don't come close to using the full potential of their kit and wouldn't appreciate the hardware difference.

BleAivano
25th August 2012, 21:23
I'd be interested to find out why Apple don't do this.

Premium brands in other markets have been able to extend their reach downwards without harming their brand image, Mercedes and its A and B classes is a good example.

Maybe its because Apple think it will take sales away from their high end iPhones as people would just buy the cheapest ones they could get,
after all most smartphone customers don't come close to using the full potential of their kit and wouldn't appreciate the hardware difference.

Of course a valid concern/question however. Imo some poeple will always want the top model.
The S3 and HOX are selling good despite that cheaper options are available.

Also many cannot afford to spend 500-600 US dollars on a new phone and
what do they do if they want/have to buy a new a new phone??

They have to buy a non-iphone and thus Apple is giving away market shares to competitors.

Apple could at least offer one lite version of the new ip5.
I wouldn't buy it but perhaps they could prevent people from buying/getting used to i.e. Android phones.

conclusion is that its better to sell a cheap phone to the customers then not selling a phone at all.

Big Ben
25th August 2012, 21:45
Negative in who's eyes, the people who already dislike Apple?

Or me. I didn't dislike Apple but I'm starting to. You are aware that that the stake here for Apple is to make sure they can keep selling you overpriced products, right? And some cheer over this :laugh: .

ioan
25th August 2012, 23:19
More likely a genuine human error.

I find it laughable that people believe that in such a high profile case, one side would deliberately falsify evidence in such a simple way that would be blown as soon as jurors got to hold the two products side by side. They wouldn't. If anything was to be falsified it would be in such an insidious way that the opposing legal team and engineers would have difficulty spotting it, not be obvious to a five year old.

Is it easier to modify the ratio of an image to match your products aspect to that of the other producer or is it easier to just keep the original photo with the original aspect of the product?
Why did someone even need to create the modified ratio image?
Logic says it the image was deliberately changed, for a certain reason, which in turn means that the mistake version is less realistic than the cheat version.

Also I don't think this will affect Apple or Samsung's images among consumers, apart from geeks few people know or care about these cases.

That's right, most people ignore 99% of what goes on around them, to the point where some do not even know that milk is produced by cows. IMO it is sad, but then our world's philosophy hardly needs people with high awareness anyway.

ioan
25th August 2012, 23:19
At the end of the day I have the choice not to buy something if I think it's a rip off. The irony here is both companies were as petty as each other but had the more popular company won, it would have been hailed a triumph.

Depends in which country the said company is more popular.

Jag_Warrior
25th August 2012, 23:38
1 billion dollars or something? Does apple really need all that money? They should give it to charity or something.

If it was a privately held company, I would have no problem with that. But being that Apple is a publicly held corporation, Apple's sole purpose is to enhance shareholder wealth... nothing less and nothing more. So once this check gets cashed (however many years that takes, assuming the appeal is not successful), then I'd like to see Apple declare a special one time dividend, just as Yahoo was supposed to do before Larry Page's ex-girlfriend, Marissa Mayer, took over and screwed that up. I'm now officially off of her bandwagon. I now wish they'd kept Ross Levinsohn as CEO! But with a special dividend, any Apple shareholder would then be free to make a donation to his/her charity of choice.

As for those who think that this will harm future innovation, I'm really not so sure about that. What I can see happening is companies may now focus more on revolutionary product innovations, rather than just making evolutionary changes to existing products. Counter to what some are suggesting, I don't see why this can't simply force those (with the ability and resources) to push the envelope even further - because now they may have to.

And if it stands, I also think what this decision will do is make any revolutionary patent, which is manufacturable, incredibly valuable. But I don't see this decision affecting the basic premise of Moore's Law. The phones, tablets and personal computers we'll be using in 10 years will still be a world away from even the most advanced machine available to consumers today.

race aficionado
25th August 2012, 23:58
I can understand why there will be a back-lash on the popularity of Apple, and this will mainly come from people that used their hard earned money on a product that they chose as the one that they wanted to own and use.

It now turns out that their product makers were sued and lost big time and this means that their product will maybe be discontinued or not upgraded.
I'de be pissed.

but as a fellow forum member said: A cheat is a cheat.

ioan
26th August 2012, 12:45
I think there is a difference between corporate and consumer popularity. Singling countries out and generalising popular opinion is always going to be unreliable. Both brands are hugely popular in my country for example. My mention of popularity was not meant in the broad sense, but rather closer to the opinions expressed here.

Sure, sure. Nevertheless Apple, a US company (which produces in Asia but that's only important for the US citizens looking for work) won the case in the US and Samsung (Korean company) won in South Korea, which proves that popularity of the company in said country is important.

ioan
26th August 2012, 13:14
I can understand why there will be a back-lash on the popularity of Apple, and this will mainly come from people that used their hard earned money on a product that they chose as the one that they wanted to own and use.

It now turns out that their product makers were sued and lost big time and this means that their product will maybe be discontinued or not upgraded.
I'de be pissed.

but as a fellow forum member said: A cheat is a cheat.

You're completely of the mark there by trying to twist reality.
There is already a backlash on Apple because people generally do not like bullies, and hate to have their freedom of choice limited on what they call BS.

And BTW even if by some further misuse of the ruling system some older Samsung products will no be allowed to be sold anymore in the US still those products that have been sold will be supported by Samsung, so do not harbor a sense of false worry for them, they will be fine until they will then upgrade to a newer and even better Samsung product for an affordable price.

Stuartf12007
26th August 2012, 13:19
I agree with the judgement.
Just look at Samsung phones pre IPhone, they have completly ripped it off.
Also, the Samsung store in Korea is a total duplication of Apple Stores.
The good thing to come out of this, will be Samsung and other companies will have to invent new technology, which can only benefit the consumer.

Dave B
26th August 2012, 14:03
Both of which are based on Sony Centre, which I'm sure in turn can trace its roots back even further.

BleAivano
26th August 2012, 14:13
I agree with the judgement.
Just look at Samsung phones pre IPhone, they have completly ripped it off.
The good thing to come out of this, will be Samsung and other companies will have to invent new technology, which can only benefit the consumer.

so you're saying (like apple) that Apple have an exclusive right to use a black rectangular phone with rounded corners?
Persoanlly i am of the opinion that you cannot take a patent or "mönsterskydd" of a basic shape.

well i think Apple have to as well since they hardly have invented anything of what they are using, they merely have taken
patents of existing technology and thus claiming that they have devloped or invented it.

Samsung have not done more rip offs then what apple have done.

Stuartf12007
26th August 2012, 16:21
Both of which are based on Sony Centre, which I'm sure in turn can trace its roots back even further.

I Have Never seen a Sony centre look like an Apple store.

Stuartf12007
26th August 2012, 16:28
so you're saying (like apple) that Apple have an exclusive right to use a black rectangular phone with rounded corners?
Persoanlly i am of the opinion that you cannot take a patent or "mönsterskydd" of a basic shape.

well i think Apple have to as well since they hardly have invented anything of what they are using, they merely have taken
patents of existing technology and thus claiming that they have devloped or invented it.

Samsung have not done more rip offs then what apple have done.

I think you have to ask, Would Samsung have created a rectangular phone with rounded corners if it wasnt for the Iphone, plus its not only that, its pinch to zoom and the way certain operations work compared to Samsung pre Iphone.

Also, as far as i am aware Apple are not saying they invented anything, just the look of the Samsung phones and the way they imitate various aspects of the IPhone,as mentioned above.

How would you feel if you wrote a song, which didnt sell, and then someone else recorded it and had a huge hit, but didnt share any of the money they earned from it or even aknowledged you are the origianl writer. Different situation but same concept.

Where there a hit theres a writ.

race aficionado
26th August 2012, 18:41
. . . . . .
they will be fine until they will then upgrade to a newer and even better Samsung product for an affordable price.

That would be the ideal scenario and one that I am looking forward to.

Big Ben
27th August 2012, 10:40
I think you have to ask, Would Samsung have created a rectangular phone with rounded corners if it wasnt for the Iphone, plus its not only that, its pinch to zoom and the way certain operations work compared to Samsung pre Iphone.

No way... I'm pretty sure they would have made round or triangular phones if it wasn't for the iPhone.

Big Ben
27th August 2012, 13:39
But there is no doubt whatsoever that the iPhone had a massive influence in the direction smartphones went after 2007. Samsung and HTC produce phones very similar to the iPhone aesthetically and its obvious they have taken an influence from Apple. That's natural and nothing to be ashamed of as its a winning combination. Of course rectangular phones have been around for years, but single button displays, toolbar layouts, and app screens have all appeared thanks to Apple.

Thanks God there wasn't this legal non-sense going on when they invented the wheel.

Jag_Warrior
27th August 2012, 15:35
It turns out that the jury foreman was an engineer and several people on the jury had engineering or legal backgrounds. The decision process they went through was pretty impressive. And according to the foreman, one of the key, deciding factors in reaching this verdict was a memo from Google to Samsung. In the memo, Google advised Samsung not to pursue smartphone designs which mimicked or copied iPhone features or design cues. It looked really bad for Samsung's Android partner to put a warning like that in writing. And because the jury determined that Samsung's patent violations were willful, the judge may decide to triple the damages to $3 billion+.

As for talk of any sort of meaningful backlash against Apple, I've not read anything that suggests that is a risk to Apple, its products or the stock. Samsung, on the other hand, does seem to be experiencing a backlash of sorts, as its stock has lost around $12 billion today. Part of that is because investors are factoring in the damage done to Samsung's brand in the wake of a decision that suggests willful dishonesty. Especially for Asian companies, that is particularly damaging - think Olympus.

My guess: Samsung places a call to Apple and tries to work out a cross-licensing deal ASAP. Apple offered them a cross-licensing deal a couple of years ago and that would have cost Samsung about $250 million. Now they could be looking at $3 billion. It goes without saying that Samsung should have taken the first deal (which likely doesn't exist any longer). But a combination of making a licensing deal and redesigning some work-arounds should get Samsung through this.

In another legal dispute, the ITC decided that Apple didn’t violate a Motorola WiFi patent. And there are quite a few more cases and appeals to come over the next 6-12 months.

Good time to be a lawyer (ain't it always?)... :vader:

Dave B
27th August 2012, 15:48
It turns out that the jury foreman was an engineer and several people on the jury had engineering or legal backgrounds. The decision process they went through was pretty impressive.
Actually it seems that the decision process was anything but, with one juror being quoted as saying he'd made his mind up on the first day (never mind weighing up all that pesky evidence, eh?) and another admitting that they didn't read the instructions for how to arrive at the verdict. If Samsung so wished I'm sure they could move for a mistrial on those two admissions alone, but in all honesty they'll probably move on ($1 billion is almost chicken feed to them) and carry on. I reckon this whole affair has actually been quite good publicity for them, putting their phones and tablets in the mainstream media.

Dave B
27th August 2012, 15:54
PS have a read of this article if you want examples of flawed and sloppy process:
Groklaw - Jury in Apple v. Samsung Goofed, Damages Reduced -- Uh Oh. What's Wrong With this Picture? ~pj Updated 4Xs (http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2012082510525390)

nigelred5
27th August 2012, 17:47
Me neither. The Sony Centre in Cardiff is just floor to ceiling Bravia TV's, a Playstation demo in the middle of the store and laptop displays along the side. Its been like that for years and generally looks like any other electronics retailer to me. The Apple store is laid out with very clean surfaces, plenty of space, and multiple products per section displaying different aspects of each device. The staff (unlike Sony) are friendly and knowledgeable and keen to assist. I tried to buy a Sony TV back in 2006 from the Sony Centre and had a very poor experience where not only would they not price match, but I got the impression I was disturbing the staff from watching a DVD! It hasn't put me off buying Sony products (I'm not that shallow), but I wouldn't deal with them direct again. One thing I like about the Apple store is the use of iPads as product labels and info points. Its a simple touch but very affective and encourages you to use the products for simple applications. Apple certainly know how to market their goods and make the experience of buying them a pleasure. That may or may not be a positive for all of you, but it impressed me.

To think I could have had a land phone with a seperate earpiece and a microphone and a key pad arranged in a diamond that I had to twist a knob for each number instead. Who copied the idea for a round steering wheel in an automobile? I'd much prefer to reach over ht top of my windscreen with a towel and clean my glass whilst driving....

Personally, I hate my iphone. I like the andriod OS and included features far more. If my wife hadn't stuck me with a two year contract on the the ipods she insisted on, I'd still have my original andriod phone which I found superior to the iphone in everything but playing music.. which I could have continued to use my ipod for. Now as for the actual hardware, aside from the danged standard ipod connector, which I again prefer the standardized use of micro USB in andriod phones, If I could run Android on a iphone I'd be happy.

Jag_Warrior
27th August 2012, 17:47
Actually it seems that the decision process was anything but, with one juror being quoted as saying he'd made his mind up on the first day (never mind weighing up all that pesky evidence, eh?) and another admitting that they didn't read the instructions for how to arrive at the verdict. If Samsung so wished I'm sure they could move for a mistrial on those two admissions alone, but in all honesty they'll probably move on ($1 billion is almost chicken feed to them) and carry on. I reckon this whole affair has actually been quite good publicity for them, putting their phones and tablets in the mainstream media.

PS have a read of this article if you want examples of flawed and sloppy process:
Groklaw - Jury in Apple v. Samsung Goofed, Damages Reduced -- Uh Oh. What's Wrong With this Picture? ~pj Updated 4Xs (http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2012082510525390)

Interesting finds, Dave. I based my comments on what the jury foreman (Velvin Hogan) said according in a Reuters interview:

Hogan worked as an engineer for decades before he retired, and holds a patent of his own. He said jurors were able to complete their deliberations in less than three days - much faster than legal experts had predicted - because a few had engineering and legal experience, which helped with the complex issues in play.

Once they determined Apple's patents were valid, jurors evaluated every single device separately, he said.

"We didn't just go into a room and start pitching cards into a hat," he said.

At one point during the second day of deliberations, jurors turned off the lights in the room to settle a debate about the potential influence screen brightness might have on Apple's graphics interface. Their verdict: Apple's designs were unique.

"All of us feel we were fair, that we can stand by our verdict and that we have a clear conscience in that we were totally not biased one way or another," Hogan said.

To be honest, I doubt that Samsung is welcoming the publicity they're getting from this decision. Throwing the CEO off of a roof would also get them some publicity (and the Board of Directors might be considering that about now), but I doubt they'd welcome the publicity from that either.

Samsung has already announced that they will appeal the decision, and one unnamed Samsung executive has claimed that they'll go as far as the U.S. Supreme Court, if need be. This will likely drag on for years unless they make that cross-licensing deal with Apple and/or just roll over and pay the money (which I don't think is likely). This has also caused some very bad blood between Samsung and Google, as the decision may affect other Android device makers, which in turn affects Google. Samsung is not mortally wounded by any stretch. But this was a very painful decision for them, as the equity markets have demonstrated. If anyone really thought Samsung would benefit from this, the stock would have traded up, not gap-down from the open in Asia.

Jag_Warrior
27th August 2012, 18:08
Thanks God there wasn't this legal non-sense going on when they invented the wheel.

You know where the Romans got many of their ideas? From the Etruscans. Do you know why you don't see any Etruscans around these days? Because the Romans hunted them down and killed them all. :eek:

So in antiquity, there were disputes, just as there are now. It's just that those disputes were often settled by "alternate methods" back then. It was often the case that those who came up with unique designs or items for very wealthy or powerful people would have their hands cut off, their eyes burned out or even killed once the project was complete. That's one way of doing it, I suppose. Though that was certainly an "effective" way of dealing with patent risk, I think the modern way is better. And as I said, it may even encourage companies to look harder for (truly) revolutionary improvements, and not just make small, incremental changes to products that already exist. Look at the internal combustion engine. For decades no meaningful improvements were really made until the advent of computer based on-board ECU's.

But I do agree with what some of you are saying: this does have the potential to harm consumers, but only if the competitors wall up their patents and get stuck in the mud as they fight these battles. I think that risk is rather minimal though.

Malbec
27th August 2012, 19:05
I'm the opposite on the OS. I've been using Android for years and have grown tired of it of late. Slow, and laggy on my phone due to my phone not having the best hardware to run it. I'm looking forward to the new iPhone and hopefully I'll be able to justify the cost as I wouldn't commit to a 2 year contract on an Android device ever again. Play store is crap and I am faced with daily updates which is extremely annoying. I'd like a simple phone that does all the social networking I use, email, texts, WhatApp, pics, music etc and the iPhone offers this IMO. I don't mind paying a bit more if I am happy with it either.

You too eh? ICS has practically killed my once great phone and its almost as bad as my worst phone ever, the Xperia X1 running windows mobile.

The problem is that I can already foresee my trip to the mobile phone store in a few months time when my contract runs out:

Me: Can I look at the iPhone 5 please?
Shop: Sure
Me: Wow thats nice, what are the contracts like?
Shop: Here they are sir
Me: How much?! Thanks I'll take the HTC

Malbec
27th August 2012, 19:13
And according to the foreman, one of the key, deciding factors in reaching this verdict was a memo from Google to Samsung. In the memo, Google advised Samsung not to pursue smartphone designs which mimicked or copied iPhone features or design cues. It looked really bad for Samsung's Android partner to put a warning like that in writing. And because the jury determined that Samsung's patent violations were willful, the judge may decide to triple the damages to $3 billion+.

As for talk of any sort of meaningful backlash against Apple, I've not read anything that suggests that is a risk to Apple, its products or the stock. Samsung, on the other hand, does seem to be experiencing a backlash of sorts, as its stock has lost around $12 billion today. Part of that is because investors are factoring in the damage done to Samsung's brand in the wake of a decision that suggests willful dishonesty. Especially for Asian companies, that is particularly damaging - think Olympus.

$12 billion loss in value? What was the effect on Apple stock? So much for Apple losing out but what do investors know...

I think much of the damage will be to Samsung's component supply and also technology partnership side. The iPhone 5 is said to shift away from Samsung components which is hardly a surprise given the bickering between the two of them, but other companies may be put off too. The other issue that hurts is the decision made in South Korea and the American verdict that Samsung refused to licence some of its wireless technology patents at a reasonable cost to other companies including but not exclusively Apple. That smacks of poor corporate behaviour and they'll lose a lot of trust over that.

Having said all that, here is an alternative view worth reading.

http://gigaom.com/2012/08/25/counterintuitive-did-samsung-emerge-a-winner/

Malbec
27th August 2012, 20:58
I nearly tossed my HTC away the other day after I installed the new facebook app which was released at the same time as my wife updated the iOS version. They look exactly the same side by side but whilst hers is super fast and fluid, mine keeps coming up with errors and asking me to send a bloody report!!

Count yourself lucky, at least you've got yours running. I've abandoned using the FB app because it hasn't even bothered to run once and now access my account through the general internet app. Its as if Google are trying to lose me as a customer. I may end up taking a good look at the new Windows based mobiles as a result as well as the iPhone before I decide what to do. My problem is that I nailed my colours to the Android mast at work so switching to Apple means a serious climb down!

As for FB, their inability to make their mobile apps turn a profit is one of the biggest factors that have dented their share price. I would have thought they'd have tried harder to make their apps on the world's most popular mobile OS at least functional. Ridiculous.

Big Ben
28th August 2012, 13:43
You know where the Romans got many of their ideas? From the Etruscans. Do you know why you don't see any Etruscans around these days? Because the Romans hunted them down and killed them all. :eek:

If the Etruscans were being cocky about inventing some geometric shape they got what they deserved.

Dave B
28th August 2012, 15:12

Eventually even the mighty Roman Empire crumbled. Don't think it couldn't happen to Apple? Look at Nokia a decade ago and look at them now. Apple have only a tiny number of products in the market at any one time, which is so often their strength, but it only takes one to fall out of favour / fashion and they could be the next ones to find themselves on a burning platform.

Dave B
28th August 2012, 15:15
You too eh? ICS has practically killed my once great phone and its almost as bad as my worst phone ever, the Xperia X1 running windows mobile.
Downgrade to 2.3 then. At least Android gives you that choice.

Dave B
28th August 2012, 15:17
I nearly tossed my HTC away the other day after I installed the new facebook app which was released at the same time as my wife updated the iOS version.
The Android Facebook app has always been utter toss. To be fair, it renders the website properly (even down to the Flash content :p ) so it's not really such a pressing issue as the iOS version.

Malbec
28th August 2012, 15:22

How? Seriously I would if I knew how.

Jag_Warrior
28th August 2012, 18:50
Eventually even the mighty Roman Empire crumbled. Don't think it couldn't happen to Apple? Look at Nokia a decade ago and look at them now. Apple have only a tiny number of products in the market at any one time, which is so often their strength, but it only takes one to fall out of favour / fashion and they could be the next ones to find themselves on a burning platform.

Actually I do think that it could happen to Apple... mainly because it has already happened to Apple. Whether Rome or Apple, no empire is destined to last forever. I fully agree with that. I said the exact same thing a couple of years ago when a similar discussion took place and there was someone (his name shall go unmentioned, so as to protect the guilty :D ) who argued that RIM and Microsoft were two companies that could not go out of business. Companies come and go. They always have. They always will. I don't know that RIM is going to go out of business, but it's certainly got its feet on the ledge right now. I suspect that it will eventually be sold and its patents will be parceled out. But I don't know. As for Apple, I would say that the major risk is not so much with the number of products, as with the fact that one product (the iPhone) is responsible for such a huge percentage of the sales and profits. So yes, that's certainly a risk, and one which I try to keep my eye on. Apple has done extremely well for me. But I am not married to Apple or any other company. At a certain point in time years ago, I shorted CART (MPH). And I'm sure that every person who knows me on the IndyCar board will tell you what a HUGE fan of CART racing I was. So how could I love that style of racing and the series and then short the stock? Because I generally don't have a problem separating my emotions from business concerns. Apple is no different. If the business ever breaks down, I will have no problems selling AAPL or even shorting it.

Speaking of Nokia, this decisions may have helped that struggling company. Finally, its move to the Windows Phone platform may get some traction if other Android makers also get drug into this situation.

Jag_Warrior
28th August 2012, 18:58

From what I've read, the issue is not so much with Android as with the various OEM's making phones and tweaking the OS to suit their needs and desires. What will work on one Android phone doesn't necessarily work on other brands that are of the same model year. Fragmentation and the ability to upgrade, without having major issues, seem to be growing concerns with respect to Android devices.

Dave B
29th August 2012, 18:01
It's an over-reaction indeed. Besides, the numbers mean nothing until we know what the sellers are buying instead - it seems strange to be selling in order to buy a phone which hasn't been released yet, so maybe they're upgrading to an S3, which (*probably) won't be affected.

*The case to see if any handsets will be banned won't be heard until December, and even then it's a small number of largely discontinued handsets. Apple are apparently also asking for the S3 to be banned but as it wasn't deemed to be an infringing product they've got little chance.

Anyway, even if Samsung did force firmware updates to remove the infringing features, users would only be losing a few cosmetic touches like the "rubber-band bounce", which apparently Apple invented - even though Atari gamers reported seeing it in the 80s!

Dave B
29th August 2012, 18:26
If I buy an S3 and features start disappearing on it due to this court case, then I will feel it is no longer the product I had purchased. I don't want to be faced with ditching it after a couple of months if I take that route.
Even in the highly unlikely event the S3 is affected, the ruling would only affect the USA and it's already standard practice to roll out different firmware updates for different territories. Apple have yet to win any meaningful court case in Europe, so I really wouldn't let that be a factor.

odykas
29th August 2012, 20:56
Abolish all software patents!

And the world will be a better place to live :s mokin:

ioan
30th August 2012, 20:57
Samsung has released the New Galaxy Note 2 so no need to cry over past anymore! A few more months until my 2 years plan comes close to it's end and I'll get this one for free! :D

ioan
30th August 2012, 21:01
If this story is an over inflated piece of scaremongering then fair enough. Consumers on the whole are fickle however, and it makes you wonder if stories like this will influence or have an impact over the next few months. I'm in the market for a new phone now and although the S3 has been on my list, I'm waiting to see the next iPhone. I don't really want to be waiting until December to see if Samsung could be hit again in the long term. If I buy an S3 and features start disappearing on it due to this court case, then I will feel it is no longer the product I had purchased. I don't want to be faced with ditching it after a couple of months if I take that route. There's rumors Google may sort to seek a deal with Apple to license certain features which would be the way forward for both companies. Microsoft struck a similar deal a while back which is why they haven't ended up in court, so I don't see why Android can't do the same.

You are indeed a fickle customer! :p

ioan
30th August 2012, 21:26
That was my point lol.

I know and I find it fully understandable.
But do not worry, a company like Samsung will not remove features from their products unless they can not find a way to replace those or even buy the rights to those patents covering them, if it will be needed.

odykas
31st August 2012, 08:56
Samsung didn't pay Apple $1.05 billion in 5 cent coins (http://tech2.in.com/news/general/samsung-didnt-pay-apple-105-billion-in-5-cent-coins/402432)

Why not? :p :

Let them count one by one :devil:

odykas
31st August 2012, 09:21
iPhone 5 Already Cloned With Android OS in China (http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/08/29/iphone-5-already-cloned-with-android-os-in-china/)

http://androidheadlines.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/goophone-i5-iphone-5-clone.jpg

Goophone :D :laugh:

ioan
31st August 2012, 17:40
iPhone 5 Already Cloned With Android OS in China (http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/08/29/iphone-5-already-cloned-with-android-os-in-china/)

http://androidheadlines.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/goophone-i5-iphone-5-clone.jpg

Goophone :D :laugh:

Good one! :rotflmao:

Daniel
1st September 2012, 02:11

Yo! Dude! You ever heard of the LG Prada which launched well before the iPhone did? Looks rectangular with rounded edges to me!

LG Prada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Prada)

So there you have it, definitive evidence that there was prior art for this whole rectangle with rounded corners thing and yet Apple still got BS patents for it. Seriously, how can you get freaking patents for something as ridiculous as the general shape of a device.

Apple are just terrorists. Sure they don't kill anyone other than the workers at Foxconn who work in crappy conditions but they're still terrorists.

ioan
1st September 2012, 18:32
Either LG forgot to patent that aspect, or they secretly sold the rights to Apple knowing they were not to be making a serious play in the phone market anyway.

Or maybe LG are sensible enough to use common sense and would not attempt patent a rectangle with rounded corners that has been around for other phones during the last decades.
Not sure what happened to common sense in this world, but one thing is sure none of it is anywhere close to Cupertino.

ioan
1st September 2012, 19:33
Apparently you can patent simple shapes.
And there is the issue, because both accepting and filling for such a patent shows a crass lack of common sense, which is what bothers me most.

ioan
1st September 2012, 19:34
I suppose companies with common sense don't win court cases and get awarded a billion dollars for the sake of a $250,000 patent.

That just shows the lack of common sense of the court, nothing more.

donKey jote
1st September 2012, 19:56
Japanese court backs Samsung in latest Apple skirmish - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/31/business/japan-samsung-apple-court/index.html)

ioan
1st September 2012, 22:23
So is it Apple and the court that don't have common sense then or what? What about Samsung and the courts elsewhere that are counter-suing Apple for infringing patents they have made? I suppose they all lack common sense on that basis.

Were those patents also as impressive as a rectangle with rounded corners and round button?!

Malbec
1st September 2012, 23:47
ioan there's nothing wrong with patenting appearances, in fact there's a separate patenting category just for that.

nor is Apple the only one patenting various appearances as their own, Samsung does it too as they have a brand they want to protect from others. Anyone who doesn't is simply failing to protect their brand. Try building a car with a chrome kidney grille, four equal sized round headlamps and a prominent Hoffmeister kink in the window line and see how long it takes for some legal heavies from Bavaria to threaten you.

BTW Apple's patent isn't about rectangles and rounded corners, its about specific radii and aspect ratios. I agree its utterly petty but simplifying what these legal conflicts are about doesn't do anyone justice.

CaptainRaiden
2nd September 2012, 10:11
OOPS!

Samsung: We'll sue Apple over LTE technology | News | TechRadar (http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/samsung-well-sue-apple-over-lte-technology-1094279)

Samsung: We'll sue Apple over LTE technology

Samsung could have the last laugh in its ongoing dispute with Apple.

According to a report from the Korea Times, Samsung execs plan to sue Apple "immediately" if it ever releases any devices with advanced long-term evolution (LTE) mobile technology.

Samsung holds just over 12 percent of the world's LTE patents, according to data from Thomson-Reuters, while Nokia leads the charge with 18.9 percent. Qualcomm follows with 12.5 percent and Ericsson has 11.6 percent.

Apple already has an LTE device on the market - the iPad 3 - but observers think Samsung could be waiting for the Cupertino company to release an LTE-capable iPhone before making its move.
Put up your dukes

All signs point to Apple's next iPhone, the iPhone 5, having LTE capability, making it the perfect target for Samsung's wrath.

The iOS-wielding Apple has even been in talks with Korean carriers about putting the next-gen iPhone on 4G LTE networks.

Samsung would hit Apple where it hurts with an injunction on an LTE iPhone 5, expected to be one of Apple's most successful devices to date.

Thanks to a guilty verdict in a patent trial between the two, Apple has asked that eight Samsung smartphones, including the Galaxy S2, be banned from sale in the U.S. There's also a pre-trial order to ban a Samsung tablet - the Galaxy Note 10.1 - on the books as well.

Though it's unclear just how much Samsung will lose in sales from the ban on nine of its products, having to pay $1.05 billion (£665) in damages to Apple would certainly put a dent in its pocket books.

An LTE suit - or at least the threat of one - may be just what Samsung needs to get its mojo back.

race aficionado
2nd September 2012, 18:01
Silver linings are always a good thing.

Why Apple (http://techland.time.com/2012/08/27/why-apples-win-over-samsung-is-ultimately-good-news-for-consumers/)

ioan
2nd September 2012, 19:45
OOPS!

Samsung: We'll sue Apple over LTE technology | News | TechRadar (http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/samsung-well-sue-apple-over-lte-technology-1094279)

There goes the iPhone 5 down the drain.

ioan
2nd September 2012, 19:46
Thanks Captain, see ioan now do you see? :p

LTE is a technology not a shape, so I'm not sure how you can compare them.

ioan
2nd September 2012, 19:54
ioan there's nothing wrong with patenting appearances, in fact there's a separate patenting category just for that.

I know, but the existence of such is an affront to common sense, and it is a bad sign for our society.

nor is Apple the only one patenting various appearances as their own, Samsung does it too as they have a brand they want to protect from others. Anyone who doesn't is simply failing to protect their brand.

Everyone who doesn't might have more common sense and more trust in the value of their product which isn't it's shape and appearance. Seriously 99% of the mobile phones have the same rectangle shape with rounded corners, it's been like this for ages now. What need to patent something which is universal anyway? Just so that you can have those with better technology blocked by 'justice' courts?

Try building a car with a chrome kidney grille, four equal sized round headlamps and a prominent Hoffmeister kink in the window line and see how long it takes for some legal heavies from Bavaria to threaten you.

Why would I do that when there is nicer design to come up with?

BTW Apple's patent isn't about rectangles and rounded corners, its about specific radii and aspect ratios. I agree its utterly petty but simplifying what these legal conflicts are about doesn't do anyone justice.

And when I checked the aspect ratio, the size and the radii on the Samsung tablets and phones aren't the same as on the Apple.
Difficult to understand how did a German court rule that Samsung copied Apple, other then if the case was set up by Apple with heavy financial arrangements behind the doors.

ioan
2nd September 2012, 20:00
Yeah, bound to be pulled and never released now haha.

They might release it, but LTE is the buzz word about iPhone 5, in fact it's its biggest upgrade over iPhone 4S or whatever the previous one is called.

The little details eh? lol

That's all you can come up with? Lame.

CaptainRaiden
3rd September 2012, 12:16
I guess we all know who Apple is suing next:

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/5256650_700b.jpg

CaptainRaiden
3rd September 2012, 12:43
So there you have it, definitive evidence that there was prior art for this whole rectangle with rounded corners thing and yet Apple still got BS patents for it. Seriously, how can you get freaking patents for something as ridiculous as the general shape of a device.

Apple are just terrorists. Sure they don't kill anyone other than the workers at Foxconn who work in crappy conditions but they're still terrorists.

Oh no, Daniel, you're wrong. Apple is a sensible company with amazing innovations like rectangular shapes with rounded corners, and touchscreen *gasp*. I think it's a smart move to sue your closest competitor in order to make more money. You're not going to beat them in the areas of price, features and technology, so might as well take the legal route.

Imagine if Motorola had patented their first ever flip phone, the startac in 1996:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b3/MotorolaStarTAC.jpg/250px-MotorolaStarTAC.jpg

How much money might they have made by suing virtually every phone company on planet earth who copied the flip design from then on!

Stupid company.

henners88
3rd September 2012, 13:04
Is this dummy anybodies?

I think its about time you guys just get over it. Apple are not terrorists and they are not anymore immoral than any other company out there. Samsung are suing Apple now for yet another petty infringement yet you Android/Windows 'fanboys' are just intent on embarrassing yourselves here with ill thought out posts going over the same old drivel.

Relax and enjoy what you've bought.

CaptainRaiden
3rd September 2012, 13:12
Is this dummy anybodies?

I think its about time you guys just get over it. Apple are not terrorists and they are not anymore immoral than any other company out there. Samsung are suing Apple now for yet another petty infringement yet you Android/Windows 'fanboys' are just intent on embarrassing yourselves here with ill thought out posts going over the same old drivel.

Are you here online like 24/7?

And what's your problem? I'm actually with Apple on this. Didn't you see my post above? Great job on suing Samsung. I hope they sue other companies as well.

I just hope mother nature doesn't sue Apple for copying the fruit as their logo.

donKey jote
3rd September 2012, 15:37
Google should release an Android version with hexagonal tiles with rounded edges and they're all laughing :)

Wait, just let me take out a patent on that first... damn, too late :dozey:

race aficionado
3rd September 2012, 17:52
Galaxy S3 on the Apple target list?

BBC News - Apple seeks sales ban on more Samsung handsets (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19463693)

Daniel
3rd September 2012, 18:12
Is this dummy anybodies?

It's ignorant drivel like that which means I don't really post on here anymore. Whilst I agree with Malbec that companies should be able to protect their product from being copied 100%, you simply shouldn't be able to patent a shape with some corners. You (henners) are typical of the ignorant masses who were selected for jury duty and either through ignorance or being paid off (I hope they were paid off because I'd hate for anyone to be quite this stupid), come to ridiculous decisions like this one. Did anyone actually read the link that Dave posted? It was hilarious miscarriage of justice!

Anyone can patent a shape, go out there and actually create some technology and then patent that.

There are certain things which are meant to be a certain way. Wheels are always going to be round, it's just the best way for it and phones were always going to be rectangular because it fits the human hand best. You shouldn't be able to patent things which are merely a result of physics and the human form. If Apple want to develop a glass which doesn't break when dropped and doesn't scratch at all and then patent it then that's fine by me, they've done some work and deserve to make money out of it and have their invention protected. But to be able to patent a shape and then sue another company over it is a gross misuse of the patent system.

Apple are terrorists. Companies are scared to release anything that's remotely like an iPhone or an iPad and contrary to the ridiculously badly thought out article that race aficionado posted, this doesn't mean more choice, it simply means a different choice.

Apple has been lazy with regards to their iPhone and iPad lines so don't worry, they'll be overtaken and as soon as it becomes popular opinion that a Windows Phone or Windows 8 tablet or Android phone or Android Tablet is better than Apples share price will drop like a brick. It might take 6 months, it might take 5 years, but it's going to happen and it will be saweeeeeeet when it does :)

CaptainRaiden
3rd September 2012, 18:16
Google should release an Android version with hexagonal tiles with rounded edges and they're all laughing :)

Wait, just let me take out a patent on that first... damn, too late :dozey:

Sorry, you used the word patent in your post, and that is patented by Apple.

SUED!

CaptainRaiden
3rd September 2012, 18:23
Another one of these unfunny, unoriginal troll attempts by Android fanboys against the great, ultra innovative Apple corporation:

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/5250310_700b_v1.jpg

These should be banned immediately and the user and the website showing it, SUED, because they have the word Apple in it. I shall be forwarding this to Apple straight away, so that Apple can sue the Photoshop artist who wasted his time making this, on the grounds of defamation.

BleAivano
3rd September 2012, 19:24

Also, as far as i am aware Apple are not saying they invented anything, just the look of the Samsung phones and the way they imitate various aspects of the IPhone,as mentioned above.

How would you feel if you wrote a song, which didnt sell, and then someone else recorded it and had a huge hit, but didnt share any of the money they earned from it or even aknowledged you are the origianl writer. Different situation but same concept.

Where there a hit theres a writ.

You know. i own a Samsung TV, a LE40R89 (http://www.samsung.com/se/consumer/pdf/R89_series_se.pdf). Guess what! It got a rectangular shape with rounded corners.

henners88
3rd September 2012, 19:33
Just spotted your post after a rather busy day and that probably answers this particular question. No I am not. ;)

It's ignorant drivel like that which means I don't really post on here anymore. Whilst I agree with Malbec that companies should be able to protect their product from being copied 100%, you simply shouldn't be able to patent a shape with some corners. You (henners) are typical of the ignorant masses who were selected for jury duty and either through ignorance or being paid off (I hope they were paid off because I'd hate for anyone to be quite this stupid), come to ridiculous decisions like this one.
That's about as far as I got and thanks for the classy insults. By not 'really posting here anymore' you have made the experience here a lot more enjoyable IMO. I don't mean that as as insult, but as an honest opinion based on an observation over the past year. Perhaps you could remain with the likes of Saint Devote, and tamburello who also both fled when their inability to accept varied opinions and debate sensibly ceased to exist.

:wave:

Mark
3rd September 2012, 19:39
Black eh? Ooh nice!

PS can we all calm down. I've had to delete some posts. It's only phones!

odykas
3rd September 2012, 19:45
Bruce Willis suing Apple to control his iTunes collection (http://now.msn.com/bruce-willis-suing-apple-to-control-his-itunes-collection)

According to reports, he's planning to take them to court for the right to leave his extensive music collection to his children. When you "buy" a track, book or movie from iTunes, you don't actually "buy" it — you merely lease the rights to view or listen to it.

Malbec
3rd September 2012, 20:29
PS can we all calm down. I've had to delete some posts. It's only phones!

No its not, its about terrorism and the future of the human race dammit!

Malbec
3rd September 2012, 20:31
Bruce Willis suing Apple to control his iTunes collection (http://now.msn.com/bruce-willis-suing-apple-to-control-his-itunes-collection)

Why on earth would he want to leave behind poor quality compressed digital music files to his kids?

CaptainRaiden
4th September 2012, 06:57

Stupid bald actor. Who does he think he is? Just because he paid for those songs, he thinks he can own them?!?! Pfft!

If I was still against Apple, I would have said Bruce Willis is my hero, but no more. Screw you Bruce!

I hope Apple countersues Bruce for suing them, and get a patent for suing, so anybody who sues anybody in the future, will get sued by Apple.

Bruce's head is also kinda rounded. There you go, another patent infringement.

Go Apple!

pino
4th September 2012, 07:48
No its not, its about terrorism and the future of the human race dammit!

I agree lol :p :

CaptainRaiden
4th September 2012, 09:30
Loving this joke no matter how many times it's repeated. Any more pics to add to this?

What joke dude? I thought getting into the Apple fanclub would be easier than this.

Anyway, as for the pics you requested, I heard our favorite company is suing these companies after Samsung:

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/5251134_700b.jpg

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/5215628_700b.jpg

Probably not the second one though, as there aren't enough pirates and their sales aren't really hurting Apple's.

CaptainRaiden
4th September 2012, 09:32
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/5201497_700b.jpg

YES!

Watch out Bridgestone and Pirelli.

LOL. I love Apple. :)

CaptainRaiden
4th September 2012, 10:03
Could we start a joint S3 iPhone fan club do you think? Want to sell me your S3?

Too late buddy. I gave it away in charity. I was getting unnecessarily spoiled by 90 GB of storage. Waiting for the iPhone 5 now. But if that corrupt and evil company, Samsung, sues Apple for LTE, then the ultra brilliant iCloud will be pretty much rendered useless. Genuinely worried, fingers crossed for Apple. :(

I like both which is a bit unorthodox I know as I would probably be expected to pick sides. Just can't bring myself to be anything other than objective. I'm surprised by your U-turn though.

I'm very impressed by you being SO unbiased, and also how it doesn't bother you in the least if somebody makes a joke on Apple, and how you're not here defending Apple all the time. Just top stuff bro. :up:

Love the pics. Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.

You're welcome. :)

The toy phone looks like a Samsung Galaxy Ace though. Perhaps Samsung will be going after that one?

No, it looks like the iPhone, especially since the radii of the right rounded corner only differs by 0.00006 mm from the iPhone design. Those 1 year old brats don't deserve to enjoy an Apple rip-off. Besides Samsung isn't interested in suing other companies and making money that way. Stupid business sense. This is why they are not Apple.

Or you could argue the Ace copied the iPhone so they may both file lawsuits.

About that there is NO doubt whatsoever. In fact, HTC escaped getting sued only because their corners were slightly more rounded. But don't worry, we'll get those *******s next time.

Not sure you can trademark the use of the word 'eye'? I could be wrong but the application is a lot different as you say and wouldn't be harming Apple's sales. Had the medical company used the letter 'i' instead of the word, they'd have a case against Apple considering eye pads have been used since before the days of Florence Nightingale.

Yeah, and so were rectangular shaped objects with curved corners used since the stone ages, but Apple innovated a way to get a patent for that. Never say never with Apple, and the brilliant, unselfish, innovative folks that work for them. :)

Like I said before, Motorola will be kicking themselves just WHY they didn't patent the flip phone. I'm sure a US court would have ruled in their favor. Imagine getting $1 billion from virtually EVERY phone company on earth! Stupid, stupid company.

Big Ben
4th September 2012, 10:42
Bruce Willis is fine but everyone knows there's only one man who can stop Apple now... Yeah, that's right! It's time time for Chuck Norris to step in and stop this nonsense.

CaptainRaiden
4th September 2012, 10:43
Whoa dude, didn't read all of that, because the first two lines somehow gave me a feeling of deja vu that I've read the same thing a million times before.

Seriously, I agree. Why don't people just remain happy with what they have bought and not reply to criticisms? I mean there are a thousand other threads on this forum for a good finger workout, right?

I also particularly love the forum nannies, or the self appointed moderators, who don't have much to say on topic, but have time enough to come and post their displeasure about how and where the discussion is going. It's not annoying at all. :)

CaptainRaiden
4th September 2012, 10:44
Bruce Willis is fine but everyone knows there's only one man who can stop Apple now... Yeah, that's right! It's time time for Chuck Norris to step in and stop this nonsense.

http://judasphone.com/i/judasphone8.jpg

CaptainRaiden
4th September 2012, 10:45
Now look at these butt-hurt Android and Samsung fanboys:

http://cdn.techlineinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/love-iPhone-Buy-Galaxy-S3.jpg

CaptainRaiden
4th September 2012, 10:47
HOW DARE THEY??!?

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/4857864_700b.jpg

:mad:

CaptainRaiden
4th September 2012, 10:52
Didn't Ericsson produce a range of flip phones throughout the 90's too? I know I owned one in 1998. Perhaps if either had patented the flip design they too would have made a lot of money but they didn't. Patenting is nothing new but it is an expensive process and I know from experience.

Doesn't matter. Motorola was the one who invented the first ever flip phone.

Motorola StarTAC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_StarTAC)

The rest of them, including Ericsson, Nokia and a hundred others simply copied the design.

Motorola didn't sue anybody though. Imagine if they had. It would have a trillion dollars from patent infringement cases alone.

Like I said, what a stupid company. :rolleyes:

odykas
4th September 2012, 12:38
It seems that only Chuck Norris can sue Apple and win the case :mad:

odykas
4th September 2012, 12:40
HOW DARE THEY??!?

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/4857864_700b.jpg

:mad:

No, that was the iToilet :laugh:

CaptainRaiden
4th September 2012, 13:44
I have no problem discussing this topic and appear to be getting less frustrated than yourself. If you feel I have become a 'forum nanny', then thats fine, but I have no power here to tell you what to post as you well know. I can mock the way I think threads are going because that is my right to have an opinion. I haven't insulted you or broken any forum rules and the fact you keep replying to me suggests you have just as much time on your hands to respond and repeat the same thing over and over. Thats right, you are not the only person who has a case of déjà vu. It doesn't bother me though.

If you are annoyed by me contributing to this thread and it is affecting the overall experience for you, you have the same option as every other poster here and that is to add me to you 'ignore list'. Thats not me advising you as a 'self appointed mod' but more as a poster who has the same exact options as yourself. I sense it is getting that way for both of us, and I'm sure by now you have a rather tainted view of me stemming from this thread. We could applaud Hamilton and McLaren until the cows come home, but there will always be that bitter taste from this experience I'm sure. Hell, we could also be S3 owners side by side in a couple of weeks, but this discussion will always be there. Most posters on this board have run a mile from this thread and the tablet thread because they are most likely bored of the same old dross being covered. Apologies to them, I'm as guilty as anybody.

Its up to you Captain, we could agree to disagree and stop questioning each other, or just stay out of each others way on this forum. What do you say old bean? :)

http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

CaptainRaiden
4th September 2012, 13:46
It seems that only Chuck Norris can sue Apple and win the case :mad:

Even HE will lose in the U.S. court of "justice". :p

odykas
4th September 2012, 21:45
Goophone(¹È·ä)ÊÖ»úÖйúÏã¸ÛΨһ¹Ù·½ÍøÕ¾|¹È·äi5|¹È·å i5|GooPhonei5|¹È·äiPhone5|Goophone5|¹È·ä|¹È·å|Goop hone| (http://www.goophone.hk/)

Gimme, Gimme, Gimme! :D

Anyone willing to translate? :p :

odykas
4th September 2012, 21:55
Android spanks Apple iOS in sales as fanbois hold out for iPhone 5 ? The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/14/gartner_q2_mobile_phone_sales/)

:s mokin:

ioan
4th September 2012, 22:49
Is this dummy anybodies?

Woah there man, calm down. We all know from the smartphones thread that you would willingly pay 350£ for an iPhone 5 + 25-30£/ month for the contract, so I think we all know who's the big fanboy around here.
So what about you just let others express their opinion, even if they are not Apple fanboys?

ioan
4th September 2012, 22:53
Too late buddy. I gave it away in charity. I was getting unnecessarily spoiled by 90 GB of storage. Waiting for the iPhone 5 now. But if that corrupt and evil company, Samsung, sues Apple for LTE, then the ultra brilliant iCloud will be pretty much rendered useless. Genuinely worried, fingers crossed for Apple. :(

I'm very impressed by you being SO unbiased, and also how it doesn't bother you in the least if somebody makes a joke on Apple, and how you're not here defending Apple all the time. Just top stuff bro. :up:

You're welcome. :)

No, it looks like the iPhone, especially since the radii of the right rounded corner only differs by 0.00006 mm from the iPhone design. Those 1 year old brats don't deserve to enjoy an Apple rip-off. Besides Samsung isn't interested in suing other companies and making money that way. Stupid business sense. This is why they are not Apple.

About that there is NO doubt whatsoever. In fact, HTC escaped getting sued only because their corners were slightly more rounded. But don't worry, we'll get those *******s next time.

Yeah, and so were rectangular shaped objects with curved corners used since the stone ages, but Apple innovated a way to get a patent for that. Never say never with Apple, and the brilliant, unselfish, innovative folks that work for them. :)

Like I said before, Motorola will be kicking themselves just WHY they didn't patent the flip phone. I'm sure a US court would have ruled in their favor. Imagine getting $1 billion from virtually EVERY phone company on earth! Stupid, stupid company.

Excellent! :D

ioan
4th September 2012, 22:55

I was also wondering, seeing that henners is posting here around the clock, from 8 AM to late night. Maybe he's on vacation?

Jag_Warrior
4th September 2012, 23:23
Why don't people just remain happy with what they have bought and not reply to criticisms?

http://img124.imagevenue.com/loc479/th_797112894_Seiously_122_479lo.jpg (http://img124.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=797112894_Seiously_122_479lo.jpg)

:laugh: :grenade: :laugh:

race aficionado
5th September 2012, 04:43
I was also wondering, seeing that henners is posting here around the clock, from 8 AM to late night. Maybe he's on vacation?

Come on guys, so what does this have to do with the topic?

Got a problem with his posting habits? sue him! (it's a joke dangnit!)

ArrowsFA1
5th September 2012, 06:55
Come on guys, so what does this have to do with the topic?(it's a joke dangnit!)
What is the topic again :confused: :p : :crazy:

Could the two sides summarise their argument in one sentence (no pictures)?

gloomyDAY
5th September 2012, 07:16
I'm chuckling about this lawsuit. Apple is gaining an edge through the courts and the odds were stacked against Samsung from the start. The jury should've been replaced with monkeys because they could have at least discussed the intricacies of what was at hand, rather than arbitrarily try and hand over Apple some cash.

Jobs is dead and now we all know what his last wish was before he croaked. Sorry, Steve. This world is for the living and Apple is biting off more than it can chew. Bring on the appeal!!

pino
5th September 2012, 08:30
Just a note to everyone :

From now on all off-topic or personal comments will be punished with a month ban !

SGWilko
5th September 2012, 13:58
The Apple store is .........

IMO

Full of overbearing, falsley happy obnoxious Americans. In their favour, they do know their product.

SGWilko
5th September 2012, 14:04
This has also caused some very bad blood between Samsung and Google.

With the upcoming legal action from Google against Apple, I can see Apple 'being torn a new butthole' as an IT friend eloqently put it!

SGWilko
5th September 2012, 14:07

Don't worry about Apple, IMO there are too many faceless, chinless wonders with more money than sense to keep buying the overpriced and underwhelming tripe they push out.......

odykas
5th September 2012, 14:12
Goophone I5 company to sue Apple when iPhone 5 is released in China? | Ubergizmo (http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/09/goophone-i5-company-to-sue-apple-when-iphone-5-is-released-in-china/)

:D :laugh: http://users.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~siochos/smilies/bowdown.gif

henners88
5th September 2012, 14:19
IMO

Full of overbearing, falsley happy obnoxious Americans. In their favour, they do know their product.
Thankfully the Cardiff one is not like that. They do approach you and ask if you need any help as any shop assistant does but the hard sell is absent. They certainly know the products well and the staff are not American. It might be because the Cardiff store is so busy, its difficult to get round to everyone. I suppose my only gripe is how busy it gets. :) .

pino
5th September 2012, 18:19
Closed and no more Apple vs Samsung threads will be allowed !