PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite food?

gadjo_dilo
23rd July 2012, 13:12
It's summer and I love summer food cooked from fresh vegetables.

My favs are:

1. Fried peppers in tomato sauce - a typical aromanian food.

2. Eggplant salad.

Tazio
23rd July 2012, 14:07
I'm partial to Salmon, or Yellowtail Sushi, Crowned rack of lamb, a nice Chateaubriand, or Prime Rib (blood rare)
Beef Carpaccio, Veal scaloppini, baby octopus (a la plancha) Spanish green olives stuffed with anchovy (Tapas style), and lest I forget freshly cooked French baguettes with butter, to name just a few. :facelick:

pino
23rd July 2012, 20:35
Oh dear...were do I start here ? :crazy: My home made pizza, with tuna, olives, cappers, anchiovies and plenty origano ?...or the gnocchi di patate with home made pesto sauce and grana padano cheese ?...or how about the classic spaghetti alle vongole ? Defenitelly meet (except for Lamb) isn't my fave food as you can read but I love all kinds of pasta, soups, home made pizza, and plenty of fish and vegetables. And I always love to finish my dinner with differents cheese :lips:

As for the wine...italian only :p :

A.F.F.
23rd July 2012, 21:08
Spezzatino or a pizza mabe by Pino. :up:

gadjo_dilo
24th July 2012, 10:25
2. Eggplant salad.

Forgot to tell I like it in romanian style ( with onion ).

Also forgot to tell I like "zacusca" but it's too much to work for it.

donKey jote
24th July 2012, 10:47
Oh dear... food, where do I start :crazy:
I'm easy to please and enjoy any food and trying new dishes, but classic favourites would be:
English: asian cuisine ( ;) ), me mum's steak&kidney pie, chish & fips
Spanish: suckling lamb leg or chops, rabbit al ajillo, fabes, bocata de tortilla, fish
German: sauerkraut (hehe only kidding)
:bandit:

gadjo_dilo
24th July 2012, 11:24

Minced meat+rice+spices wrapped in sauerkraut leaves = delicious dish called "sarmale". There's no romanian celebration without them. Not to mention that the sauerkraut juice is good for hangovers.

donKey jote
24th July 2012, 11:39
now that sounds good, I'll look it up :facelick:

Firstgear
24th July 2012, 21:04
Minced meat+rice+spices wrapped in sauerkraut leaves = delicious dish called "sarmale". There's no romanian celebration without them. Not to mention that the sauerkraut juice is good for hangovers.
Sounds like a cabbage roll to me.

Mennonite Girls Can Cook: Cabbage Rolls (http://www.mennonitegirlscancook.ca/2009/04/cabbage-rolls.html)

gadjo_dilo
25th July 2012, 07:27
Sounds like a cabbage roll to me.

Mennonite Girls Can Cook: Cabbage Rolls (http://www.mennonitegirlscancook.ca/2009/04/cabbage-rolls.html)

Yeah, at the end of the day they are cabbage rolls. We cook them with pork meat and sauerkraut in the winter. In the summer the sauerkraut leaves are replaced by vine leaves and they are served with yougurt or cream.

Must tell my mother to cook some....

Captain VXR
25th July 2012, 15:23
Sounds a lot like the Polish meal gołąbki. Quite nice, but not my favourite food.

edv
25th July 2012, 16:00
Astonished that after 11 post nobody has said B A C O N !!!

schmenke
25th July 2012, 16:43
This time of year... riisipuuro ja mansikka soppa :) (rice pudding and berry soup :s ... Sounds better in Finnish :s )

Tazio
25th July 2012, 17:28
Astonished that after 11 post nobody has said B A C O N !!!

lol.
Ok Ed just for you; bacon wrapped filet mignon covered with homemade pesto, chased down with a dose of Lipitor and Frescobaldi Chianti.
While were clogging our arteries with ham might as well have prosciutto wrapped mozzarella, basil, and sundried tomatoe appetizers. Great Last Supper :p :

heliocastroneves#3
25th July 2012, 18:04
Steak, Schnitzel, Pizza, Doner kebab, Spinach, Potatoes, Fries, Frikadel... This is all what comes to my mind right now, despite there are lot of more things, which I'd like to eat.. Oh yeah, lets add chicken to the list as well. :)

BleAivano
25th July 2012, 18:15
Beef tenderloin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_tenderloin) with pommes château (potato wedges) and sauce Café de Paris (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caf%C3%A9_de_Paris_sauce).

donKey jote
25th July 2012, 18:43
Oh dear... food, where do I start :crazy:
I'm easy to please and enjoy any food and trying new dishes, but classic favourites would be:
English: asian cuisine ( ;) ), me mum's steak&kidney pie, chish & fips
Spanish: suckling lamb leg or chops, rabbit al ajillo, fabes, bocata de tortilla, fish
ah yes, I forgot:

English: "proper" bacon sandwiches with hp sauce (you can't get decent bacon in Germany, only "Speck" :s )
German: Lahmacum with dönerfleisch from my local kebab joint ( ;) ), Haxe

BleAivano
25th July 2012, 20:50
Beef tenderloin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_tenderloin) with pommes château (potato wedges) and sauce Café de Paris (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caf%C3%A9_de_Paris_sauce).

obviously this is the special occasion favourite food.
When it comes to everyday favourite food this is at the top of the list (minus the pepsi and the pizza salad):

http://i.imgur.com/XQave.jpg

donKey jote
25th July 2012, 21:34
that looks like what you get in Ikea :p :andrea:

janvanvurpa
25th July 2012, 21:38
Fish and Chips, a cup of tea and a scone to finish.

Hmmmmmmm fish-n-chips mmmmmmmmmm
Tea!.........mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Chips with HP...heaven
( I ran a chippie that was the only chippie in the 1980 Dining Out restaurant guide in London...fresh fish dropped off from Grimsby at leat 2 days fresher than in the London Fish Market... Gawd can you imagine the heaven I was in. I made the chips, and I made the fish, and endless supplies of Daddies and pickled oinions---only thing I lacked was beer---and that was extra rough cause there were three pubs within 20 yards but I worked same hours they were open.
I made really good fish, and really yummy chips (about 4.7 tons while there---4.5 months) and some of my loyal lunch customers took pity on me and in exchange for chips and saveloys would bring me beer saving me life more than once.)

Oh I miss good fish n chips.

janvanvurpa
25th July 2012, 21:48
obviously this is the special occasion favourite food.
When it comes to everyday favourite food this is at the top of the list (minus the pepsi and the pizza salad):

http://i.imgur.com/XQave.jpg

Nej nej nej pojken, köttbullar of stekt ny potatis ska de vara! Naturligvis med lite HP Sås själv importerade från utlandet!

Men va fan säger jag!_

Plättor me smör o hallon sylt

All you poor devilsÄ Heaven is correctly done stack of pancakes the way God decended to Earth and taught the people in the North how to make them..Thin, made with nothing but flour, eggs, full milk, then butter and raspberry jam..

Theres a wonderfull passage in the great epic novel of the Continuation War when the brave Finns had fought the Russian bear to a standstill ''Tuntematon sotilas'' aka Okänt Soldat aka 'The Unknown Soldier' where the platoon under fire manages to liberate some Soviet eggs, and butter and milk, and despite unimaginable horror all around cook up some 'plättor' , and are in heaven..

I feel sadness knowing there are people who have not eaten this food of the Gods.

donKey jote
25th July 2012, 22:26
so long as you don't ask for Kot balls in Germany... :andrea:

gadjo_dilo
26th July 2012, 07:33
Wow....Some of you have really sophisticated tastes. Now with my peppers and eggplants I feel like a peasant.

I also like boeuf salad which ironically is more and more prepared with chicken. Fair to say I can't eat it when it's with any kind of meat.

Tazio
26th July 2012, 16:03
that looks like what you get in Ikea :p :andrea:
Give it up DJ Continental Cusine (French and Belgian)rules, that is of course unless you have a peasants palate ;)

janvanvurpa
26th July 2012, 19:01
Give it up DJ Continental Cusine (French and Belgian)rules, that is of course unless you have a peasants palate ;)

België or Vlandern, land of my ancestors, home of fritjes..and lambic beer and zuur uitjes.
No wonder the Germans kept invading..
http://eviewer.netmedia-europe.be/cache/server?type=image&source=promobutler_be%2Fmakro1%2Factive%2F%2Fmakro 1559n0000281.jpg&width=275

Beer, fritjes en uitjes. Peasant food, bah.
Solid proletarian fuel....

But if you want good peasant food, gimme ein halb pfund bauern brot, bitte!
ou le meme chose en France: pain de campagne
http://madeincantal.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/2507020554_575529559e.jpg

and butter, and I am a happy man. I'd scarf down a loaf a day when I lived in France, and then found I could get it next door in Germany and suddenly the ol BRD seemed like a lot better place and all was forgiven.

donKey jote
26th July 2012, 21:53

I agree... french/belgian snotty ponces :rolleyes: ...

peasant Spanish cuisine rules :bandit:

janvanvurpa
26th July 2012, 22:54
I agree... french/belgian snotty ponces :rolleyes: ...

peasant Spanish cuisine rules :bandit:

Odd but i grew up eating Southern Italian and Northern Mexican food before I moved to Sweden and learned to eat potatoes 3 times a day (and like it) (seriously can you imagine the culture shock, 17 years of yummie tasty spicy delightful food---then potato boiled, potato grilled, potato ice cream potato desert. I cried! the sacrifices we do for motorsport!) and I never gave thought to what Spanish eat..

You say they eat so I guess I'll believe you but what do the people eat traditionally?

gadjo_dilo
27th July 2012, 10:25
Sorry guys, but if you're really gourmets then romanian food rules. I'm not very fond of meat and I reckon that when it comes to food I'm kinda fussy but foreigners are mad after our food. Prince Charles is a big fan, he even bought some properties here and comes a few times/year, always enjoying the food made by natural ingredients.

And here's a sample of what you can taste here:
Travel to Romania - Traditional Romanian Food and Recipes, Wines, Beer (http://www.romanianmonasteries.org/romania/romanian-food)

BleAivano
27th July 2012, 11:10
this is also nice:

http://i.imgur.com/kk063.jpg

Tazio
27th July 2012, 11:28
Odd but i grew up eating Southern Italian and Northern Mexican food before I moved to Sweden and learned to eat potatoes 3 times a day (and like it) (seriously can you imagine the culture shock, 17 years of yummie tasty spicy delightful food---then potato boiled, potato grilled, potato ice cream potato desert. I cried! the sacrifices we do for motorsport!) and I never gave thought to what Spanish eat..

You say they eat so I guess I'll believe you but what do the people eat traditionally?Janvan you have never had tapas? Spain has a lot of very Mediterainian style foods.

edv
27th July 2012, 20:34
Well, it's a sunny hot day here, and the BBQ is grilling, when this pops into my head:

I like mine with lettuce & tomato
Heinz 57 & french fried potato
Big kosher pickle & a cold draft beer,
Well good God Almighty which way do I steer?
For a...
Cheeseburger In Paradise....

....sorry

Tazio
29th July 2012, 06:09
No Bacon Ed? :confused: :)

donKey jote
29th July 2012, 08:07
Chocolate con churros for me for brekkie today :facelick:

Captain VXR
29th July 2012, 16:08
Had the best fried chicken of my life in Finsbury Park, London yesterday. Soooo juicy omnomnom

donKey jote
29th July 2012, 18:11
My mum's Moussakka :facelick: :facelick:

gadjo_dilo
30th July 2012, 10:49
My mum's Moussakka :facelick: :facelick:
How does she cook it? With potatoes or with eggplants?

donKey jote
30th July 2012, 11:40
with berenjenas ;) :andrea:

gadjo_dilo
30th July 2012, 12:10
My mum does it with cartofi.

donKey jote
30th July 2012, 22:27
^ mashed or sliced ?

My mother-in-law's croquettes :facelick: :facelick: :facelick:

gadjo_dilo
31st July 2012, 07:32
^ mashed or sliced ?

My mother-in-law's croquettes :facelick: :facelick: :facelick:

Sliced.

Can you ever be a gentleman and mention at least one dish cooked by your missus?

Tazio
31st July 2012, 08:10
Sliced.

Can you ever be a gentleman and mention at least one dish cooked by your missus?

She only cooks for Markabilly.........in bed :uhoh: :s tareup: :p :

gadjo_dilo
31st July 2012, 08:44
Excuse my ignorance but who/what is Markabilly?

Tazio
31st July 2012, 08:58
Excuse my ignorance but who/what is Markabilly?

http://www.motorsportforums.com/f1/154034-best-car-out-there-2.html#post1053750

gadjo_dilo
31st July 2012, 09:18
Hmm.. I'm afraid that dialogue is too subtle for my only left ( though sick) neuron.

odykas
31st July 2012, 10:18
On Sunday I had great moussaka :cool:

gadjo_dilo
31st July 2012, 10:26
On Sunday I had great moussaka :cool:

With potatoes or with eggplants? ( I probably have an obsession with this...) :laugh:

Bet it was with with potatoes.

donKey jote
31st July 2012, 11:08
Sliced.

I did: all the ones in my original post except Steak&Kidney pie and chippie-fish&chips :bandit:
She improved my recipes so much I don't need to cook myself anymore :andrea:

... I'll likely mention her again when she cooks though - at the moment she's leaving it to my mother-in-law :)

donKey jote
31st July 2012, 11:12
She only cooks for Markabilly.........in bed :uhoh: :s tareup: :p :

don't tell me... your missus ran off with Billy's too ! :eek:

odykas
31st July 2012, 11:25
With potatoes or with eggplants? ( I probably have an obsession with this...) :laugh:

Bet it was with with potatoes.

4 layers: potatoes, eggplants, mince, bechamel :s mokin:

gadjo_dilo
31st July 2012, 11:46
I did: all the ones in my original post except Steak&Kidney pie and chippie-fish&chips :bandit:

So the sauerkraut is included...... :laugh:

CaptainRaiden
31st July 2012, 11:53
What I would LOVE to have:

Butter chicken - with a glass of Jack Daniels. :lips:

Tandoori Chicken - with a glass of Jack Daniels. :lips:

Mutton Biryani with some onion salad topped with some lemon.

Chicken Tikka Masala - with a glass of Jack Daniels.

ALL the kebabs - with Jack Daniels. :lips:

I hope this post doesn't make me look like an alcoholic. :|

What I am actually having:

Oatmeal
Tomato and cucumber salad
Half a cup of boiled rice with stir fried chicken

:(

odykas
31st July 2012, 12:20
I think Jack Daniels would ruin Indian food :s

CaptainRaiden
31st July 2012, 12:25
I think Jack Daniels would ruin Indian food :s

Not for me it doesn't. :D

Having said that, it does go better with appetizers than the main course. Gravies don't really agree with Jack that much.

gadjo_dilo
31st July 2012, 12:33
I hope this post doesn't make me look like an alcoholic. :|

What I am actually having:

Oatmeal
Tomato and cucumber salad
Half a cup of boiled rice with stir fried chicken

:(

And probably a cup of tchai.

CaptainRaiden
31st July 2012, 12:41
And probably a cup of tchai.

I don't bother with it anymore, takes too much effort to boil milk. :p

Besides, I only ever drank chai because it went well with cigarettes, back when I was smoking. Never was a regular drinker like my father gobbles up cups of coffee and chai.

Tobacco free for 5 years now. So, no cigarettes, no chai. ;)

Tazio
31st July 2012, 13:42
Hmm.. I'm afraid that dialogue is too subtle for my only left ( though sick) neuron.Gadji maybe I'm a prude :angel: but this (although it has been going on for years between these two in jest), is as subtle as smack in the face. Perhaps I missing a joke? :confused: :

hey Billy's back! :D
Yer missus says hi :wave:

as soon as i finish in another hour or so, your momma will say hi......after she clears her throat :s mokin:

gadjo_dilo
31st July 2012, 14:25
Tough guy this Markabilly. Reminds me a famous reply in our literature: "Al dracu' dom' Mitică" :laugh:

pino
31st July 2012, 14:35
Please let's keep it on topic thank you :)

gadjo_dilo
31st July 2012, 14:41
Please let's keep it on topic thank you :)

No offence but if we always keep on topics we will die of boredom. Maybe that's the reason the forum is asleep for awhile.

Tazio
31st July 2012, 14:51
don't tell me... your missus ran off with Billy's too ! :eek:

:s ailor: I begged him to take her. :p :

Tazio
31st July 2012, 14:55
I can't stand Jack Daniels.

I'm not Scottish though. :p I have a bit of a peasants palate in this arena. I prefer an 8 y/o Canaian Blended. VO preferred to Crown

donKey jote
31st July 2012, 15:02
Peasants palate? you should try some DYC (http://whiskyforeveryone.blogspot.com.es/2008/07/have-just-tried-d-y-c-spanish-whisky.html) :s ailor: :kiss: :andrea:

Tazio
31st July 2012, 15:42
Peasants palate? you should try some DYC (http://whiskyforeveryone.blogspot.com.es/2008/07/have-just-tried-d-y-c-spanish-whisky.html) :s ailor: :kiss: :andrea: What is wrong with a hint of Sterno :p :

donKey jote
31st July 2012, 21:54
I fell into a barrel of it when I was a kid :andrea:

airshifter
1st August 2012, 02:52
Far too many good foods to pick a single one as a favorite!

I'm a meat eater, so a good steak is a favorite, but then again anything slow cooked on a BBQ can give it quite a run for the money. Just about ALL Japanese food has to be considered, along with a lot of shellfish and seafood dishes.

I better go eat something now. :)

Rudy Tamasz
1st August 2012, 12:07
I have a bit of a peasants palate in this arena. I prefer an 8 y/o Canaian Blended. VO preferred to Crown

I have recently discovered Bushmills. Beats all of them other whiskies.

Speaking of food, nothing is better than pork stewed in sour cream.

gadjo_dilo
1st August 2012, 12:18
What is a "peasants palate"?

Mintexmemory
1st August 2012, 13:00
A 'peasants palate' prefers 'stewed to 'rare', beans to fresh peas, sweetish tastes to sharp, big slugs of burning sensation to subtle afternotes.

For the record: pan fried pheasant breast in an armagnac and cream sauce. Caol Ila 12 y o Islay single malt.

gadjo_dilo
1st August 2012, 13:12
Thanks for such a plastic definition.

Tazio
1st August 2012, 13:27
Thanks for such a plastic definition. Gadji, instead of suffering the slings and arrows of ill-bred bounders, why don't you type the term "peasant's palate" into a search engine and then press "enter" :bulb: :angel:

GmFan4Life
1st August 2012, 13:30
Man what isn't my favorite food. I would say one of my favorites HAS to be BBQ. I have a smoker that I get down with almost every weekend. Webber WTF!!

gadjo_dilo
1st August 2012, 13:38
Gadji, instead of suffering the slings and arrows of ill-bred bounders, why don't you type the term "peasant's palate" into a search engine and then press "enter" :bulb: :angel:

I tried it with google translation and dictionary.com and couldn't find it. Then I wanted to know right from the source.
Anyway, nice to see ( again!) you consider me a helpless dumb. :laugh:

Mintexmemory
1st August 2012, 14:12
Gadji, instead of suffering the slings and arrows of ill-bred bounders, why don't you type the term "peasant's palate" into a search engine and then press "enter" :bulb: :angel:

I resemble that implication! Clearly one man's Cacciatore is another's Chasseur and yet another's Jaeger Eintopf. Not surprising that Googling didn't throw up a definition as different paysans / peyons / contadini / peasants have different palates. I am a serf with a gourmand's palate, not a combination for a contented life!

gadjo_dilo
1st August 2012, 14:22
....paysans / peyons / contadini / peasants....

You may also add the romanian variant "ţărani". :laugh:
Was one of my fav insult until half of my colleagues came from countryside.

P.S. I bet now Mr.Pino will pull our ears for not sticking to the topic.

Mintexmemory
1st August 2012, 14:30
You may also add the romanian variant "ţărani". :laugh:
Was one of my fav insult until half of my colleagues came from countryside.

P.S. I bet now Mr.Pino will pull our ears for not sticking to the topic.

:D Sig. Pino daren't if he is more 'paese piuttosto che in cittā'
Oaf, bumkin, haychewer, yokel are still good British insults that have escaped politically correct revisionism ;)
Back on topic though British peasant food tends to be Aristocratic food that no one sees you catching!!!

donKey jote
1st August 2012, 19:04
I have recently discovered Bushmills. Beats all of them other whiskies.

proper Irish whiskey, won't give you a headache no matter how much you drink :up:

Tazio
1st August 2012, 23:52
I don't particularly like Whiskey, but with so many proper ones out there, I don't understand why anybody would drink an over-hyped 'JD Wetherspoon' special. If you asked for JD in Glasgow, you'd probably be head butted. :) I'm not sure what you are going on about, or why you quoted me. However I'm sure I wouldn't order Canadian Wiskey in Scotland whether the barkeep was up for a headbutting competion or not :confused:

veeten
2nd August 2012, 02:09
a nice bowl of hot, meaty chili. Mmmmmmm... :lips:

gadjo_dilo
2nd August 2012, 07:43
Since this topic is slowly turning into a "what is your fav drink?" I have an advice: Forget whiskey and try some healthy transylvanian palinca.

CaptainRaiden
2nd August 2012, 09:25
Since this topic is slowly turning into a "what is your fav drink?" I have an advice: Forget whiskey and try some healthy transylvanian palinca.

If I really wanna burn my esophagus and all other organs thereafter, I'll simply buy petrol. It's cheaper. :)

gadjo_dilo
2nd August 2012, 10:15
You're really weak for a captain....

Even my humble person is able to drink it.

CaptainRaiden
2nd August 2012, 11:42
You're really weak for a captain....

Even my humble person is able to drink it.

Yeah, see, I don't get into gasoline guzzling competitions to prove my manhood.

I happen to quite like my liver how it is, you know, healthy. :)

gadjo_dilo
2nd August 2012, 12:03
Relax captain. I don't want to cross my sword with you. I hate competitions as I'm a natural born loser.
And I don't drink gasoline but palinca or ţuica of Zalău. :laugh:

Rudy Tamasz
2nd August 2012, 12:56

You mean Erdely szilva palinka? Egesegedre!

CaptainRaiden
2nd August 2012, 12:57
Relax captain. I don't want to cross my sword with you. I hate competitions as I'm a natural born loser.
And I don't drink gasoline but palinca or ţuica of Zalău. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure I can run my car on Palinca. :p

gadjo_dilo
2nd August 2012, 13:16
Rudy, thanks for the opportunity to say the only two words I know in hungarian: Nem tudom. :laugh: :laugh:

Because that's what most of the people of hungarian origin from Transylvania will say if you ask them a question in romanian.

gadjo_dilo
2nd August 2012, 13:38
I went to a palinka festival in Budapest a few years back. Lots of deep fried sausages (yuck) and sweet brandy. Had a laugh there but didn't rate the food at all during my trip. Couldnt find much in the way of a salad there unless I paid over the odds. I was told that lettuce is expensive over there, not sure why? Didn't see many fat people there though, so I obviously failed to find all the nice healthy food. :)
Sausages with palinka or sweet brandy....No way....
You should have crossed the border to us and taste our great cheap food.

BTW, are you sure they didn't fooled you with the prices? A few weeks ago I witnessed how a waiter was trying a trick on some foreigners. Wanted to warn them but gave up thinking how we are treated abroad.

gadjo_dilo
2nd August 2012, 13:39
I'm pretty sure I can run my car on Palinca. :p

Nice to see you're driving a toy car.

gadjo_dilo
2nd August 2012, 14:27
I don't think it was because we were foreign as these were fixed prices on menu's and a Hungarian chap explained this to us on the plane home. Italy was the worse place for waiters trying to trick me. I ordered a bottle of red wine in a restaurant and when it was brought to the table it had already been opened. Very bad manners indeed. I refused it and asked for the next bottle to be opened infront of me like you would expect anywhere else in the world. This caused a bit of a fuss and what was a perfectly reasonable request was treated like I had asked something insulting and outrageous. I mentioned this to an Italian friend of mine called Fabio and he laughed his head off. He's a chef who learnt his trade in Rome and said its a common scam where (some) restaurants buy in cheap wine and fill bottle branded with expensive labels. I'm sure its not representative of every Italian restaurant and it didn't catch me out on the basis that all I wanted was a bottle opened at the table. :)

Ha! When the final of Europe Cup was held here a lot of spaniards payed in euro the prices that were in lei. The waiter I mentioned above was ready to charge the foreigners in euro at his own exchange rate. Not to mention that he wasn't presenting a bill ( not even to me - I was about to show him where I work and what problems could he be facing but then I thought I don't want my holiday to be ruined with a fight ). Etc., etc.

Let's just hope that your italian waiter didn't spit in the bottle. :laugh:

Tazio
2nd August 2012, 18:13
Ha! When the final of Europe Cup was held here a lot of spaniards payed in euro the prices that were in lei. The waiter I mentioned above was ready to charge the foreigners in euro at his own exchange rate. Not to mention that he wasn't presenting a bill ( not even to me - I was about to show him where I work and what problems could he be facing but then I thought I don't want my holiday to be ruined with a fight ). Etc., etc.

Thats really low to charge like that. I'm sure it happens in every country and I would not hesitate to point it out if I over heard such a scam.

Let's just hope that your italian waiter didn't spit in the bottle.

He may well have done but the food was already on the table and I drank the bottle he opened in front of me. I walked out spit free lol.

Meal was amazing though, I love Italian food..
Why don't you two get a room? :love: :kiss: :heart:

CaptainRaiden
2nd August 2012, 18:40
http://cdn.taste.com.au/images/recipes/wfr/2005/04/13535.jpg

:lips: Something else that I really like outside of Indian and Chinese food. :lips:

Tazio
2nd August 2012, 18:49
Haha, if I wasn't married I'd be treating her to the finest Fish 'n' Chip supper I could muster, washed down with lashings of ţuica of Zalău, and finished off with a nickabockaglory for desert. :p :) Snap :laugh:

CaptainRaiden
2nd August 2012, 19:13
What kind of low life scumbag posts a picture of a delicious dish like that when I am eagerly awaiting my dinner and could eat a scabby horse right now? :p :)

Still waiting henners? Maybe this should help. :p

http://enfoodrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/spaghetti-carbonara.jpg

http://thasneen.com/cooking/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/salami-pizza-1.jpg

CaptainRaiden
2nd August 2012, 19:16
This should be more up henners' alley:

http://noodlepie.typepad.com/blog/images/sheridans-fish-n-chips-spre.jpg

What's worse is I'm extremely hungry myself and looking for these delicious images doesn't help! FML. :mad:

Rudy Tamasz
2nd August 2012, 20:45
Rudy, thanks for the opportunity to say the only two words I know in hungarian: Nem tudom. :laugh: :laugh:

Because that's what most of the people of hungarian origin from Transylvania will say if you ask them a question in romanian.

Nincs problem. I was just teasing you. ;) I lived in Hungary for a year and learned a couple of words. I am also aware of certain peculiarities of Romanian-Hungarian relations.

I also assume Romanian palinka is as good as Hungarian one, although the very word "palinka" is clearly of a Slavic origin, :p

donKey jote
2nd August 2012, 21:35

I don't look like a typical Spanish donkey (more like an English or German one :p ), and I have great fun in Spain when they try and pull that sort of tricks on me. The look on their face when they suddenly hear my Madrid accent and I tell them where to go in their mother's finest tongue :laugh:
Doesn't happen so often now I've gone bawldy and have my battle-axe in tow though :andrea:

gadjo_dilo
3rd August 2012, 07:50
I don't look like a typical Spanish donkey (more like an English or German one

Don't tell me you're a dim blonde blue eyed donkey....

The look on their face when they suddenly hear my Madrid accent and I tell them where to go in their mother's finest tongue :laugh:

Yeah, I suppose they were surprised to be sent in Croatia.... :laugh:
Wonder if their mother was moldovan. I imagine a donkey speaking with moldovan accent. :laugh:

BTW, I don't think they're that smart to detect a regional accent. And I'm not that smart ( as our mutual friend - the doctor - use to underline ) to understand some things:
1. How do you know their nationality?
2. How come that you swear in our sweet language? Probably learnt from your housekeeper, or from the workers who painted your house... Or maybe you own a strawberry field... :laugh:
(Don't dare to assume your missus is moldovan...)

Your trick was used by my ex boss when he was sent in control in an area where hungarians were majority. He has a romanian name ( though very transylvanian ) but his mum was hungarian ( I remember she called him at work and we couldn't understand with her ) and that was the language they spoke at home. So when he asked in romanian for documents the guys from the company started to spoke in hungarian things like " don't show him that" or " replace this by that ". In the last day my boss applied some biting fines and explained them why in their mother's tongue.

If my brother hears people talking in aromanian he use to somehow tease them to make them say something bad about him, thinking he can't understand. Then he surprises them by starting speaking aromanian ( with a northern Greece accent :laugh :)

gadjo_dilo
3rd August 2012, 08:13
Why don't you two get a room? :love: :kiss: :heart:

Haha, if I wasn't married I'd be treating her to the finest Fish 'n' Chip supper I could muster, washed down with lashings of &#355]

Because it would be a fiasco as I don't eat fish except for anchovy and because his level of consciousness is too high for my standards:

I'm sure it happens in every country and I would not hesitate to point it out if I over heard such a scam

Now to be honest, I would have put myself in a moralist wolf posture. Last year when I was on holiday in Bulgaria I also accepted to pay a cab in lei knowing it's illegal and that the driver is overcharging. The guy was quite funny: 5 euro or 10 leva or 20 lei. Paying in lei was the best option.

gadjo_dilo
3rd August 2012, 08:34
I lived in Hungary for a year and learned a couple of words.

And when you think that I suspected you have hungarian origins...
I make mea culpa.