PDA

View Full Version : Webber stays at RBR for 2013

The Black Knight
10th July 2012, 10:10
I received a text there which has informed me that Mark Weber has signed with RBR for 2013.

The Black Knight
10th July 2012, 10:17
And now autosport confirm it: Webber will stay with Red Bull Racing for the 2013 Formula 1 season - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101114)

Mia 01
10th July 2012, 10:17
If so I´m glad, Mark is one of the best drivers on the grid.

truefan72
10th July 2012, 18:46
its a good decision
a bit early suggesting that RBR were keen on locking him up and possibly thwarting Ferrari's advances.

The first domino has fallen in the silly (pre)season.
;)

The Black Knight
10th July 2012, 21:35
I've always had that issue ;) I can never remember if it is one or two b's in his name :)

steveaki13
10th July 2012, 23:25
Good decision.

Hes a great guy and fine driver and he is actually having a great season. 2 wins and championship contender.

tfp
10th July 2012, 23:56
Good news for RBR, I think he just had an off season last year. A bit like lewis last year, and bunson this year. I think everyone has this sometimes, even the shoe!

Knock-on
11th July 2012, 01:32
He alluded to it during an interview with the top 3 drivers at the Blondie gig but glad it's confirmed.

Robinho
11th July 2012, 03:39
Sealed a nail in Massa`s Ferrari career as well by letting on he was in talks with Ferrari, which we all knew, but it shows Ferrari are seriously looking for alternatives, which will do nothing for his confidence just when he seems to be getting it together and getting some results.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

aryan
11th July 2012, 04:02
Massa should throw him a party. The chances of him staying at Ferrari for one more year are now greatly increased.

I believe Webber wanted at least a two year contract, either with Ferrari or RBR, but none would offer that to him. Ferrari just wanted him for one year to have options open regarding Vettel for 2014, and considering that the same was on offer from RBR, he chose to stay put. Wise move if you ask me. Not to mention that he actually likes living in England and has a nice house there with his family, so moving to Italy wasn't probably the easiest thing to do.

Anyway, he's a great guy, and really fast on his day. I agree that he had an off year last year, this year and 2010 are much more representative of what he is capable of. Also love the way he interacts with other drivers. You get the feeling that no one holds a grudge against him, which in such a competitive sport, is a rarity.

GravettFan99
11th July 2012, 09:05
This is great to hear, as Massa is one of my favourite drivers out there! :s pin: (If not the favourite.:cheese :)
This removes a nail from the coffin, and I'm also pleased that Massa found form at the most recent event. :colour:

jens
11th July 2012, 11:30
Sensible and logical deal. :up: And this should also put an end to rumours of Hamilton leaving McLaren, because now he has nowhere to go - RBR might have been the only remote conceivable option.

As Webber wisely says - the continuation of his career (beyond 2013) depends on himself and his performances. At the moment he is still performing very well and hence is valuable to the team.

I think so far in 2012 Webber has actually been performing even better than 2010, because back then he was making some costly mistakes every now and then (Australia, Valencia, Korea). So far in 2012 no significant mistakes. Also his starts seem to have improved compared to last couple of seasons.

Mark
11th July 2012, 13:18
Hamilton would only got to RBR if Vettel left. But even then it would be a tricky choice as RBR seems as variable as McLaren these days.

The Black Knight
11th July 2012, 14:47
Hamilton would only got to RBR if Vettel left. But even then it would be a tricky choice as RBR seems as variable as McLaren these days.

What makes you say that? I don't think Hamilton would care who his teammate was. Horner might care about having two drivers of that quality in his team though :)

driveace
11th July 2012, 20:27
Thought Hamilton was interested in going to Renault ,next year

Knock-on
12th July 2012, 00:20
This is great to hear, as Massa is one of my favourite drivers out there! :s pin: (If not the favourite.:cheese :)
This removes a nail from the coffin, and I'm also pleased that Massa found form at the most recent event. :colour:

Why :confused:

Do you like trainspotting, bland food and women that have won against anorexia? Massa is a nice kid but what in the world can you hang your hat against apart from that?

zako85
12th July 2012, 04:50
Mark Webber was so significantly dominated by Vettel in 2011 that I thought that if this performance gap continued, Webber might lose his seat in 2013. However, I was wrong. His consistency is as good as always, and with two GP wins he is suddenly a championship contender. RBR is my favorite team right now.

F1boat
12th July 2012, 08:42
Wise decision for both parties.

ArrowsFA1
12th July 2012, 09:58
Good news.

I feared for Mark after last year but he has fought back strongly and is showing the form he produced in 2010. He's in title contention for the second time in three years and that level of performance warrants a new contract.

Not only that, but he's a no-nonsense, honest, hardworking, thoroughly good bloke.

BDunnell
12th July 2012, 11:09
Sensible and logical deal. :up: And this should also put an end to rumours of Hamilton leaving McLaren, because now he has nowhere to go - RBR might have been the only remote conceivable option.

As Webber wisely says - the continuation of his career (beyond 2013) depends on himself and his performances. At the moment he is still performing very well and hence is valuable to the team.

I think so far in 2012 Webber has actually been performing even better than 2010, because back then he was making some costly mistakes every now and then (Australia, Valencia, Korea). So far in 2012 no significant mistakes. Also his starts seem to have improved compared to last couple of seasons.

And, what's more, who couldn't like his attitude?

Malbec
12th July 2012, 14:25
I was a bit surprised by this decision as I thought Webber was heading towards Ferrari, but clearly he thinks RBR will give him the better chance of winning a WDC and looking at both his own and the team's performance this season he's probably right.

The most interesting question this raises will be what happens at Ferrari, will they keep Massa on for another season or replace him? Webber was the logical replacement until they could get hold of a definitive driver and is probably the best of the non-affiliated crew. Who else is on their list?

truefan72
12th July 2012, 18:43
I was a bit surprised by this decision as I thought Webber was heading towards Ferrari, but clearly he thinks RBR will give him the better chance of winning a WDC and looking at both his own and the team's performance this season he's probably right.

The most interesting question this raises will be what happens at Ferrari, will they keep Massa on for another season or replace him? Webber was the logical replacement until they could get hold of a definitive driver and is probably the best of the non-affiliated crew. Who else is on their list?

perhaps ferrari are waiting to see how kubica is progressing.
If he makes a full recovery, I think he would be an instant choice to join ferrari....big if

Malbec
12th July 2012, 18:52
If he makes a full recovery, I think he would be an instant choice to join ferrari....big if

Sadly I don't see Kubica making a full recovery, even now more than a year after the accident he's undergoing further surgery merely to restore function. If F1 is the elite sport we like to think it as he isn't going to return to a fit state even without his manager sabotaging his career, though he'll probably get back to rallying.

I can actually see Ferrari carrying on with Massa especially if he keeps up with his current form.

GravettFan99
13th July 2012, 02:05
Why :confused:

Do you like trainspotting, bland food and women that have won against anorexia? Massa is a nice kid but what in the world can you hang your hat against apart from that?

I'm not the only one with that opinion...
I think that he is going back on form, based the recent event, and I sure hope so. As to that question-no, I like none, they don't really compare to Massa. He's not bland, and his CV from year's ago and from some recent events proves so...

In fact, even in 2011, in which he was disappointing, some events that occured throughout the year brought controversy, so even then he wasn't bland.

Firstgear
13th July 2012, 14:54
It seems many athletes perform best when it's contract renewal time. After they sign the big contract, their performance slips back down a notch. Mark has been having a great year so far, but now that he's signed on for next year - I hope he can stay consistantly motivated & error free 'til the end of the season.
Of course, if he does slip a bit - we'll all say that "Now that he's signed up, Red bull have put a leash on him again to get Vettel ahead of him for the WDC."
Personally, I'd like to see him take the title by just edging out Alonso. I'd like to see Hamilton there too, but that would really tank my FGP.

Ranger
13th July 2012, 15:53

I think for the foreseeable future he is off the radar.

Bezza
26th July 2012, 11:01
I will be amazed and slightly frustrated if Massa continues at Ferrari for 2013. They have absolutely no chance of winning the Constructors Championship with him. Alonso is miles ahead of him in terms of pace and consistency. The Ferrari of years ago would have sacked Massa ages ago, now they being over-loyal. They should move now to get Perez in the car for 2013 - a driver who has acheived two podiums in a car worse than Massa's.