PDA

View Full Version : Are Helmet Cameras The Future?

dutchmaster
6th July 2012, 19:23
Watch this video of Lewis Hamilton with one. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-xUCNQmKhQ)
Now... what do you think? Future of TV broadcasting?

Zico
6th July 2012, 19:47
Watch this video of Lewis Hamilton with one. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-xUCNQmKhQ)
Now... what do you think? Future of TV broadcasting?

Not the best example I've seen of a helmet cam but yep, I like it. I wouldn't like it to replace the car cam view that we have but a 'red button' helmet cam viewing option would be nice.. and also prove useful in examining incidents from a drivers P.O.V.

steveaki13
6th July 2012, 21:05
I like the helmet cam, however I don't know whether I could stand it throughout the race, as we now see the shot from above their heads in action shots.

I think the currant overhead cams are better and more stable for regular action shots, but the odd helmet cam thrown in would be nice.

Would love to see a few replays of the starts via a helmet cam

ShiftingGears
7th July 2012, 00:17
They have their place, so long as F1 doesn't flood the coverage with them as if they were some great new invention that IndyCar hasn't been using for the past 15 years.

nigelred5
7th July 2012, 00:35
Well, actually they are quite the past. I prefer the view when they place the camera inside of the visor just to the side of the driver's eye. You can't get a more" in the drivers eye" view than that.

Paul Tracy onboard Montreal 2002 helmcam - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3CLCPhYQfc)

Andrew Ranger Surfers Paradise 2006 Visor Cam - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAJo2sIn4cc&feature=related)

Wasted Talent
7th July 2012, 11:46
No, it is okay for an occasionally different view and to see how the driver sees certain things, but the camera above the driver's head is the best view and now comes in fantastic quality

WT

ArrowsFA1
7th July 2012, 15:18
It may be the future of a dedicated TV channel which offered you the option of watching the whole race from the perspective of your favourite driver, but for general coverage it's only practical to use it occasionally.

steveaki13
7th July 2012, 21:04
It may be the future of a dedicated TV channel which offered you the option of watching the whole race from the perspective of your favourite driver, but for general coverage it's only practical to use it occasionally.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

fandango
8th July 2012, 09:20
Something can be good without needing to be the be-and-end-all, future of broadcasting, best thing since sliced bread.

Helmet cams like this provide wonderful atmospheric footage, and they're a great tool for a good TV producer to use at the right moment.

All these options that you get these days are sometimes a bit bewildering; when I get handed a huge menu in a restaurant I usually look the waiter in the eye and ask for them to recommend something...

christophulus
8th July 2012, 21:14
I like the fact they're trying new angles, and would welcome more. Every so often you get one on the front wing or under the suspension or something like that which is a nice bit of variety.

Having said all that, I don't recall the helmet cams being used once in the race? Although I suppose the McLarens were a bit far from the action..

steveaki13
8th July 2012, 21:59
I like the fact they're trying new angles, and would welcome more. Every so often you get one on the front wing or under the suspension or something like that which is a nice bit of variety.

Having said all that, I don't recall the helmet cams being used once in the race? Although I suppose the McLarens were a bit far from the action..

I think many on TV and Radio I have heard in passing, have said the exact same. That the camera has been seen in Practice but never during Quali or Race.

Maybe the teams don't want the extra weight or aero drag they offer. (Tongue in cheek). I can't think of another reason.

big_sw2000
8th July 2012, 22:25
Cant the teams be made to run a rotating camera on the roll hope. Similar to Indycar. I love all the angles from that.

STeve