PDA

View Full Version : If the race is delayed, which channel should I keep recording on DVR (in USA)

zako85
24th June 2012, 21:34
I always record the F1 races on DVR to watch later. I also add 2 hours to the recording to make sure that if there is a rain or other issue, I would still get the whole race recorded. Now, in the USA, Formula 1 has this bizarre arrangement for the mid-season races, where the pre-race and post-race broadcasts are on Speed TV, but the race itself is on other Fox affiliate. My question is, which of these two channels will continue broadcasting the race, should its end be delayed. Is it Speed TV or the affiliate? I could of course, add two hours to the recording on the affiliate channel, and also record the post-race broadcast + 2 more hours on Speed TV. However, this is often very hard to do. My DVR cannot show any other shows if there are two recordings in progress. This means that while I am away other family members can't want other TV programming on Sunday because of F1 race as long as two recordings are in progress. There there is the issue of DVR hard drive space. I need to budget 7 hours to recording time to record one F1 race.

To make things more simple.. can anyone tell me what is supposed to happen in the race end is delayed, will Speed TV or the affiliate show it?

I must say what a mess.. why can't they keep it all on one channels is not understandable.

jarrambide
24th June 2012, 22:12
I always record the F1 races on DVR to watch later. I also add 2 hours to the recording to make sure that if there is a rain or other issue, I would still get the whole race recorded. Now, in the USA, Formula 1 has this bizarre arrangement for the mid-season races, where the pre-race and post-race broadcasts are on Speed TV, but the race itself is on other Fox affiliate. My question is, which of these two channels will continue broadcasting the race, should its end be delayed. Is it Speed TV or the affiliate? I could of course, add two hours to the recording on the affiliate channel, and also record the post-race broadcast + 2 more hours on Speed TV. However, this is often very hard to do. My DVR cannot show any other shows if there are two recordings in progress. This means that while I am away other family members can't want other TV programming on Sunday because of F1 race as long as two recordings are in progress. There there is the issue of DVR hard drive space. I need to budget 7 hours to recording time to record one F1 race.

To make things more simple.. can anyone tell me what is supposed to happen in the race end is delayed, will Speed TV or the affiliate show it?

I must say what a mess.. why can't they keep it all on one channels is not understandable.

I wouldn't call it a bizarre arrangement, FOX owns Speed, they decide to broadcast most of the races live on Speed, they pick a block in the summer to be broadcasted on FOX, but because FOX is not a specialized channel, Speed still shows the pre-race and post-race and FOX decides not to show them live, but usually around 1 PM Eastern Standard Time, give or take an hour depending on other events they or their competitors will show.

This is good news for you, because FOX shows the races after they end, they make sure you get the whole race in 2 hours, if something happens, red flag, the race starts a couple of hours later, they just edit that part out and make everything fit in 2 hours or less.

i_max2k2
24th June 2012, 23:39
Btw I just hate the coverage here, it seriously has more ads then the actual race coverage, and like today the race was not live, and had to catch it on my laptop, pathetic really, I would pay to get any channel from Europe very unfortunate for the people here.

zako85
25th June 2012, 00:25
This is good news for you, because FOX shows the races after they end, they make sure you get the whole race in 2 hours, if something happens, red flag, the race starts a couple of hours later, they just edit that part out and make everything fit in 2 hours or less.

If they indeed record and then edit the race to fit in two hour show then I guess I don't need to worry.

zako85
25th June 2012, 00:29
Btw I just hate the coverage here, it seriously has more ads then the actual race coverage, and like today the race was not live, and had to catch it on my laptop, pathetic really, I would pay to get any channel from Europe very unfortunate for the people here.

That is part of the reason I record EVERYTHING I watch on DVR and then skip all commercials. What's also bad is that the commentators are not always quick to mention position changes and incidents that happened during the commercial. It would have been nice if F1 moved to HBO or similar channel with no commercials. We already pretty much need to have the cable to watch F1 anyways.

jarrambide
25th June 2012, 00:36
Btw I just hate the coverage here, it seriously has more ads then the actual race coverage, and like today the race was not live, and had to catch it on my laptop, pathetic really, I would pay to get any channel from Europe very unfortunate for the people here.They do show way more ads than Speed, which is why I dislike the block od races shown by FOX, not ot mention they are not live, but I do understand why, this is about money, nothing wrong with that, when they show the races on FOX, they are betting on the casual fan, they get those by showing races close to noon instead of 5 and 7 in the morning, with more viewers, they can sell more ads, ads that are more expensing than ads on Speed, that is how they get their money.

F1 is a niche sport in the US, be grateful this country is so big (population wise), that there are enough fans to all races on TV, 2/3 of those live, but I feel your pain, if yo go to Austin I will buy you a beer to ease your pain, hopefully they will have real beer, not that yellow colored water they sell like crazy.

jarrambide
25th June 2012, 00:39
If they indeed record and then edit the race to fit in two hour show then I guess I don't need to worry.

They do, your only problem is Canada, that one is live, sometimes they also show Brazil live on FOX, not Speed, and you can bet the USGP next year will be on FOX.

airshifter
25th June 2012, 11:30
I can't stand when they go to the Fox coverage. Very little pre race at all, and to top it off they usually end right at race end... no interviews or other post race coverage. I also have to remember not to chance logging on to any sites or anywhere else that would create a possible "spoiler" for me.

zako85
29th June 2012, 12:50
I can't stand when they go to the Fox coverage. Very little pre race at all, and to top it off they usually end right at race end... no interviews or other post race coverage. I also have to remember not to chance logging on to any sites or anywhere else that would create a possible "spoiler" for me.

pre and post-race shows are on speed tv