PDA

View Full Version : Oulton Park

Odie Stracs
9th June 2012, 21:19
Where is everybody.....does everyone know there is a race meeting on tommorow!!!

Plato less than a blink ahead of Neal on the grid....cmon guys and gals...lined up for a cracker!!!

seppefan
9th June 2012, 22:29
They are all at Oulton! Looks like a good race ahead. Pleased to see a new very fast driver joining the series in Will Bratt. He was always quick in open wheel but lacked budget like so many others to carry on. I remember when he was second quickest in his first test in GP2 behind the present Japanese Sauber F1 driver no less. Lets hope he can impress and become a regular.

GravettFan99
10th June 2012, 03:51
Neal and Plato on the front row together, should be some fireworks with an additional driver behind them in the form of Rob Collard, who does get in the middle of their scraps sometimes. Will Bratt, in the meantime, will be making the change from single-seaters to a touring car.

Rob Austin and John Thorne will not be racing in the event, with Rob repairing his car and John further tuning his.

VkmSpouge
10th June 2012, 12:21
Plato took pole but he's not starting due to a broken wishbone on the grid. Matt Neal now in effective pole with Rob Collard having a clear run to the first corner.

BDunnell
10th June 2012, 13:11
Pretty good race. Inevitable performance drop-off from the BMWs, which was a shame. Good clean pass from Neal on Collard for the lead; a shame that Jordan had to push to do the same, but Collard's dished it out enough times. Still, Jordan was clearly right there with Neal in terms of pace, unlike Shedden who didn't seem to do anything. I wouldn't be surprised to see some action taken against Foster for the tap that looked like it knocked both Aron Smith and Wrathall off; Foster's contact with Morgan looked more like the latter's fault. Dan Welch looked very competitive, and what a great run by Will Bratt to take eighth on his debut.

christophulus
10th June 2012, 13:20
I wouldn't be surprised to see some action taken against Foster for the tap that looked like it knocked both Aron Smith and Wrathall off

Looked to me like Neate decided to shortcut the chicane when that all kicked off and pick up a couple of places for free, whereas he really could have taken the proper line, so maybe they'll look at that too?

christophulus
10th June 2012, 13:21
Also, Toby Moody insists on calling Deer Leap "Deer's Leap", which is driving me mad!

BDunnell
10th June 2012, 13:26
Also, Toby Moody insists on calling Deer Leap "Deer's Leap", which is driving me mad!

Me too! I prefer him being paired with Simon Hill, by the way. Fewer attempts at 'banter'.

Agree about Neate. I would have thought he could have avoided it by staying on track. That said, he would probably have ended up ahead of Bratt and Foster anyway.

MrJan
10th June 2012, 13:32
I've just brought up the 'who replaces Edwards' thread to have a bit of a grumble about Moody, he can be a bit James Allen-y at times, bags of enthusiasm but making obvious mistakes.

BDunnell
10th June 2012, 13:48
I've just brought up the 'who replaces Edwards' thread to have a bit of a grumble about Moody, he can be a bit James Allen-y at times, bags of enthusiasm but making obvious mistakes.

At least Allen's voice wasn't, and isn't, full of weird inflections.

christophulus
10th June 2012, 14:53
I'm getting fed up of the bumping and "tapping" that goes on in these races. It's just cheating by any other name but TOCA don't seem to care. Is it just me?

MrJan
10th June 2012, 14:59
I'm getting fed up of the bumping and "tapping" that goes on in these races. It's just cheating by any other name but TOCA don't seem to care. Is it just me?

I was delighted to see Mat Jackson with a puncture, he'd just barged his way through. When there is contact while they're side by side I can tolerate it (in fact I quite enjoy some of it) but Jackson had just punted Collard wide and driven up the inside, Jordan did the same to Collard in race 1 with no response from any officials.

christophulus
10th June 2012, 15:04
I was delighted to see Mat Jackson with a puncture, he'd just barged his way through. When there is contact while they're side by side I can tolerate it (in fact I quite enjoy some of it) but Jackson had just punted Collard wide and driven up the inside, Jordan did the same to Collard in race 1 with no response from any officials.

Flying wing mirrors and whatever is all good fun, but a nudge under braking is just cheating. Sadly it seems to be acceptable nowadays.

BDunnell
10th June 2012, 15:17
I agree. TOCA needs to clamp down on it. In no way should it be 'a part of touring car racing'. The ITV commentators could make a start by not condoning it, as they currently do. Other than that, the racing is actually pretty clean at the moment.

What a terrific performance from Dan Welch in that race, and a good run from Nick Foster too. Lea Wood's a pretty good pedaller, isn't he?

Onslow-Cole is on pole for race three. Neal, the first NGTC runner on the grid, has four S2000s in front of him. Could be interesting, but I'd still expect him to win.

Wasted Talent
10th June 2012, 15:22

No, I agree with you completely. It would be nice to think that Platos cracked subframe was the result of his bumping in previous races but unlikely it was.

It now seems that pushing a car wide in a slow corner is the acceptable way to pass, but it stinks, and what is worse is that it is likely that younger drivers watching will see it as the way to drive as well.

Never mind TOCA, the RACMSA should stamp it it out now!!

WT

BDunnell
10th June 2012, 15:24
Never mind TOCA, the RACMSA should stamp it it out now!!

Quite.

Wasted Talent
10th June 2012, 15:25
The ITV commentators could make a start by not condoning it, as they currently do.

Agree with that as well.

One of the opening bits of the ITV4 programme was Collard's son making his race debut today, what is he supposed to think when he sees "professional" drivers driving like Hot Rod amateurs?

WT

Allyc85
10th June 2012, 15:31
2 enjoyable races so far, though Collard retaliating with Jackson was bloody stupid!

Brilliant to see Dan Welch and his team get a bit of luck and show what the car can do when it runs with no problems. I was really hoping that Plato wouldnt get past!

BDunnell
10th June 2012, 15:36
2 enjoyable races so far, though Collard retaliating with Jackson was bloody stupid!!

Did he retaliate? I thought it was quite legitimate for him to try and keep the place on the outside given the BMW's good drive up that hill, and the fact that he was still in front of Jackson. Then they just seemed to get tangled up.

Allyc85
10th June 2012, 15:57
Well yes, he continued to turn right into Jackson who was never going to back out of it! He was annoyed about Jordans tap and pass in race 1 so was probably even more annoyed with that incident!

MrJan
10th June 2012, 16:02
Did he retaliate? I thought it was quite legitimate for him to try and keep the place on the outside given the BMW's good drive up that hill, and the fact that he was still in front of Jackson. Then they just seemed to get tangled up.

That's the way I saw it, also the track narrows a bit so he needed to come back across to avoid putting two wheels on the grass, Jackson knows that and should have given him space.

I actually think that the 'newer' drivers (Jackson, Jordan and even Shedden) are worse with the bumping from behind. The older hands like Plato, Neal and Collard prefer to get their nose up the inside to push their way past whereas the newer boys are pretty indiscriminate.

Shedden and Jackson are the two drivers that I see as being the worst, even more so than Plato and Collard.

Dave B
10th June 2012, 16:05
Flying wing mirrors and whatever is all good fun, but a nudge under braking is just cheating. Sadly it seems to be acceptable nowadays.
It's "entertainment", don't you know? :s

Dave B
10th June 2012, 16:06
Nice one, ITV, leaving the live action while your sister channel shows repeats of murder dramas for the umpteenth time.

BDunnell
10th June 2012, 16:09
Nice one, ITV, leaving the live action while your sister channel shows repeats of murder dramas for the umpteenth time.

I happen to like those as well, thank you very much!

AndyRAC
10th June 2012, 16:09

It could be said that it's the BTCC's unique selling point.....bumping, barging people out of the way...

BDunnell
10th June 2012, 16:13
That's the way I saw it, also the track narrows a bit so he needed to come back across to avoid putting two wheels on the grass, Jackson knows that and should have given him space.

I actually think that the 'newer' drivers (Jackson, Jordan and even Shedden) are worse with the bumping from behind. The older hands like Plato, Neal and Collard prefer to get their nose up the inside to push their way past whereas the newer boys are pretty indiscriminate.

Shedden and Jackson are the two drivers that I see as being the worst, even more so than Plato and Collard.

Shedden I have never seen as being a dirtier driver than anyone else, and certainly not this year — I think he's been excellent.

BDunnell
10th June 2012, 16:17
It could be said that it's the BTCC's unique selling point.....bumping, barging people out of the way...

There is still a happy balance to be found. The races in the Sierra Cosworth era were often, frankly, very dull. Now there is too much of what I'd call the 'wrong sort' of contact, i.e. this sort of blatant pushing to pass at slow-speed corners. The irony is that, beyond that, the racing at the moment is proving pretty clean.

christophulus
10th June 2012, 17:26
Apparently Jackson and Collard have two penalty points on their licences for their clash

BDunnell
10th June 2012, 17:27
Apparently Jackson and Collard have two penalty points on their licences for their clash

I understood it as only Jackson having been penalised — slip of the tongue from Steve Rider there. Unless I'm very much mistaken?

christophulus
10th June 2012, 17:39
I understood it as only Jackson having been penalised — slip of the tongue from Steve Rider there. Unless I'm very much mistaken?

Mat Jackson's twitter page says both:
] (https://twitter.com/mat_jackson/status/211858640703979521)Twitter / mat_jackson: Mat and @robcollard both g (http://twitter.com/mat_jackson/status/211858640703979521)

christophulus
10th June 2012, 17:51
It looks like they need to re-think the pre-race 3 drinking session that the drivers seem to be going on. What a shambles

BDunnell
10th June 2012, 17:52
Now I expect, and hope, Jackson gets another, more serious, penalty for pushing Welch off. Totally, totally unnecessary.

MrJan
10th June 2012, 17:52
Jackson should be due some more for that move on Welch, he just punted him off the track.

BDunnell
10th June 2012, 17:56
That incident at Cascades was clearly down to Morgan's lack of situational awareness, not realising he wasn't able to move over on Bratt. Neate and Bratt were innocent bystanders there.

MrJan
10th June 2012, 17:59
Toby Moody "Maybe Welch braked a bit early into lodge"...Yeah, and maybe Jackson just ran into the back of him to gain a place.

christophulus
10th June 2012, 18:00
Instead of fire training, maybe the marshals should just practice removing Liam Griffin's car? Looks like they're still having trouble.

MrJan
10th June 2012, 18:04
It looks like they need to re-think the pre-race 3 drinking session that the drivers seem to be going on. What a shambles

Ain't that the truth, can't even get half the field through the first corner without having an accident that requires a safety car!

christophulus
10th June 2012, 18:04
Oh for f...

O-C will win this by default at this rate

BDunnell
10th June 2012, 18:06
Oh for f...

O-C will win this by default at this rate

I think that might be the safest option.

Simon Hill is quite right about the Collard/Jordan incident. Collard was definitely down the inside.

christophulus
10th June 2012, 18:19
Damn, another couple of laps and we could've had an epic finish!

BDunnell
10th June 2012, 18:21
Glad they all kept it clean at the front, at least. Really impressed by Lea Wood holding off the cars behind. And surprised to see the Audi ending up 11th after getting caught up in two incidents.

Tixy54
10th June 2012, 19:20
Toby Moody "Maybe Welch braked a bit early into lodge"...Yeah, and maybe Jackson just ran into the back of him to gain a place.

Well said - I agree.

Tixy54
10th June 2012, 19:28
Me too! I prefer him being paired with Simon Hill, by the way. Fewer attempts at 'banter'.

Agree about Neate. I would have thought he could have avoided it by staying on track. That said, he would probably have ended up ahead of Bratt and Foster anyway.

I think that Tim Harvey & Simon Hill make a good pairing. That's just my view, I understand that not everyone shares my views.

BDunnell
10th June 2012, 19:39
I think that Tim Harvey & Simon Hill make a good pairing. That's just my view, I understand that not everyone shares my views.

I do.

Iain
11th June 2012, 00:04
Oulton's a great track which lends itself to overtaking, but there were so many boneheaded moves today I lost count. Collard was an innocent victim twice when approaching the hairpin, when the car behind would've got past eventually. Jackson's just an animal at the moment, really driving poorly.

Dave B
11th June 2012, 08:55
Jackson's just an animal at the moment, really driving poorly.
It's the Addison Lee sponsorship: he's driving like one of Griffin's taxis! :p

GravettFan99
11th June 2012, 21:40
I've also heard Jackson speak of how bad driving standards are in the championship, so for him to go out there and crash two people? (Collard and Welch) Was that supposed to be his retaliation, including punting off the innocent and very well-performing Daniel Welch?

Wow, you are really proving a point, Mat-That YOUR driving standards are poor! :D :p ;)

GravettFan99
11th June 2012, 21:48
:D

It's the Addison Lee sponsorship: he's driving like one of Griffin's taxis! :p

Haha, nice one! :p : :D
And we've all seen the talentless Liam Griffin go temperamental on Chris James at Donington, too. Maybe that's more from where it came from. :p