PDA

View Full Version : "Formula 1 is getting old." Darren Heath

fandango
29th May 2012, 21:42
Formula 1 Photographs - Blog - F1 Photos - Darren Heath Photographer (http://www.darrenheath.com/season/2012/monaco-2012/blog/future-proof)

I'm inclined to agree completely with what he says (even though I'm 43 with two kids). Anyone any ideas on what F1 should do to move with the times?

Ticket prices? Online live broadcasting? Demotion and promotion like in football? A thread for some new ideas..

donKey jote
29th May 2012, 22:23
Formula 1 Photographs - Blog - F1 Photos - Darren Heath Photographer (http://www.darrenheath.com/season/2012/monaco-2012/blog/future-proof)

Apparently the average F1 fan fits neatly into a predictable category: he’s 45 years old, has two children, a middle-management career, plans on attending one race a year, and couch-slouches the rest on either terrestrial or digital TV.

ouch :arrows: :p

schmenke
29th May 2012, 22:37
What a stupid blog.

F1 is now commercially more successful than ever before. With a world-wide television (now in HD) audience of several 100s million every fortnight, and seemingly no lack of sponsors, how is the sport in jeopardy?

Formula 1 draws the largest world-wide body of fans of any motorsport. The sponsors doesn’t care if it’s either balding 40-something ( * cough * ) or 20 year olds watching the events? Sponsorship deals continue to be negotiated and that is what’s ultimately financing the sport.

What “clock is ticking”? I, for one see, no imminent end to the sport.

Why should kids “adore Formula 1”? So what if they don’t? Millions of others do. I certainly didn’t “adore” the sport as a kid. My interest in it expanded as I matured.

“The sport lives in the past on a diet of one-off $50m deals when progressive minds are all about 500 million $1 deals.” Wtf is this all about? F1 currently lives on current 500 million world-wide deals every two weeks.

The author talks about kids playing Angry Birds, and continues to cricize Kimi’s Lotus emblazoned with anti-dandruff shampoo and deodorant. Does he not realize that the car also carries an Angry Bird prominently on the nose?

Rubbish.

tfp
29th May 2012, 23:04
What is that bloke getting at? Just because he doesnt know any young'uns that follow F1, he thinks that there arent any?

The fact is F1 isnt for everyone, and if they dont like it they dont watch it. Much like I think football matches are pretty boring.

N4D13
30th May 2012, 01:15
While F1 is certainly not in a bad shape, I'm sure that some things could be done much better. For instance, Formula 1's involvement on the Internet is extremely poor, which is a huge shame - how many million viewers would an appropriate presence on the Internet bring? If only they started a campaign to promote the sport on the Internet - higher presence on social networks, more contents published on the Internet, perhaps even live streaming of races... that's a kind of thing that could increase F1's popularity significantly, and it might appeal to many people who don't know about the sport any more than it's about cars driving round circuits, don't you think?

jarrambide
30th May 2012, 04:24
The sponsors doesn’t care if it’s either balding 40-something ( * cough * ) or 20 year olds watching the events? Sponsorship deals continue to be negotiated and that is what’s ultimately financing the sport.

Actually they care, they care a lot, different products have different markets, if your market is 20's, then you sponsor a sport that appeals to 20's, if your market is 40's with high income, you sponsor F1, apparently many companies want to sell to 40's with high income, which is why F1 has no problems getting sponsors.

Rollo
30th May 2012, 05:13
How many 45 year olds are likely to buy Red Bull? Obviously Red Bull see the utility of advertising on the side of a Formula One car or else they wouldn't have done it... twice.

I get on a bus during the school commute, and every Wednesday there's always at least one copy of Auto Action mag being read by a few high school students. That suggests to me that today's kids are as likely to be F1 fans as ever before if that's a useful sample.

I reject Darren Heath's reality and substitute my own.

SGWilko
30th May 2012, 08:38
This glut of 45 year old fans, won't their kids follow in their parents love of the sport????

AndyL
30th May 2012, 10:59
While F1 is certainly not in a bad shape, I'm sure that some things could be done much better. For instance, Formula 1's involvement on the Internet is extremely poor, which is a huge shame - how many million viewers would an appropriate presence on the Internet bring? If only they started a campaign to promote the sport on the Internet - higher presence on social networks, more contents published on the Internet, perhaps even live streaming of races... that's a kind of thing that could increase F1's popularity significantly, and it might appeal to many people who don't know about the sport any more than it's about cars driving round circuits, don't you think?

I would say F1 probably does better in this respect than any other form of motorsport. For example the live timing is free, comprehensive and real-time - much better than anyone else's. There is good content on the f1.com web site. As a counter-example, have you tried to use the World Superbikes web site - it's rubbish. Some of the teams make good content available too, e.g. the telemetry and pit radio they have on the McLaren site.

ArrowsFA1
30th May 2012, 11:09
I would say F1 probably does better in this respect than any other form of motorsport. For example the live timing is free, comprehensive and real-time - much better than anyone else's.
In terms of engaging with fans F1, by that I mean the series not the teams or drivers, has been very slow to utilise social media and is way behind the likes of Indycar and NASCAR. The amount of content, particularly via Twitter, from drivers, teams and journalists, is excellent and makes the sport more accessible but FOM seem unwilling to engage in the same way, preferring to restrict access wherever possible.

Dave B
30th May 2012, 12:35
I follow him on Twitter, all he ever does is whinge. Great photographer, mind.

ShiftingGears
30th May 2012, 12:41
An opinion supported by no facts. However F1/FOM could do a lot more with its online media, rather than just make copyright claims on everything that appears on youtube.

Bezza
30th May 2012, 13:42

I'm inclined to agree completely with what he says (even though I'm 43 with two kids). Anyone any ideas on what F1 should do to move with the times?

Ticket prices? Online live broadcasting? Demotion and promotion like in football? A thread for some new ideas..

A really badly written, un-researched, cheap shot. You could have done the same blog about football, cricket or knitting.

I am 27 years old, no kids, i don't have a middle management career, I watch it on TV unless I am lucky enough to get a ticket to Silverstone. How you watch F1 on TV without sitting on the "couch" is impossible to answer. Don't you watch "24" or "Coronation Street" in the same way? Nobody complains about that. Presume he is implying us F1 fans are fat and don't get out much. Slightly ironic considering he probably spends most of his day on a computer. For the record, I am very active - keen on playing football, swimming and going to the gym!

Impossibly stupid blog - please don't give this idiot any attention.

A large group of friends watch F1 with close attention, and they are - shock horror - the same age! Not only that, some have only got into it over the last 2/3 years and now love it.

wedge
30th May 2012, 14:37
I'm guessing the point of that diatribe is are/how to keep young 'uns engaged in F1.

Best to left to the young 'uns to answer.

...Actually, on second thoughts, I envy kids today. The interweb is a wonderful resource. In my day I relied on Autosport when it was regarded as a bible and a few books from the library.

As for social media - I find 99.9% of its content as utter meaningless drivel.

schmenke
30th May 2012, 14:50
...As for social media - I find 99.9% of its content as utter meaningless drivel.

Completely agree.

donKey jote
30th May 2012, 21:21
This glut of 45 year old fans, won't their kids follow in their parents love of the sport????

he forgot to say the average fan drives an s-max too :dozey:

N4D13
31st May 2012, 00:51
Personally, I agree - but, of course, there are many people who enjoy its content. Giving F1 a higher presence in social media would make the sport appealing for a wider audience, and I can't see any downsides to it. It's not like it's really expensive, is it?

ArrowsFA1
31st May 2012, 06:44
My apologies, but this sounds like someone who doesn't use social media themselves but has heard lots about it :D

Of course there is drivel on social media sites, just as there is in newspapers, on television and (dare I say it) on forums like this. They key to it is finding the content you are interested in, which isn't hard, and filtering out the drivel. Once that's done you have access to information, news, and (for a business) the means to manage your brand and engage with your customers.

At the last count Fernando Alonso has 591,226 followers on Twitter and his team have 277,142. That's a lot of fans, and customers, which Fernando and Ferrari have direct access to and who are interested in their brand.

DexDexter
31st May 2012, 07:29
Personally, I agree - but, of course, there are many people who enjoy its content. Giving F1 a higher presence in social media would make the sport appealing for a wider audience, and I can't see any downsides to it. It's not like it's really expensive, is it?

F1 was really slow in setting up their website as well. I remember wondering about it back then.

Mark
31st May 2012, 08:20
I'm guessing the point of that diatribe is are/how to keep young 'uns engaged in F1.

Best to left to the young 'uns to answer.

...Actually, on second thoughts, I envy kids today. The interweb is a wonderful resource. In my day I relied on Autosport when it was regarded as a bible and a few books from the library.

I remember when I discovered that Autosport existed and it was in the college library! Wow an entire magazine just about motorsport :eek: !

fandango
31st May 2012, 08:37
I'm surpised that people are so quick to write off his opinion. I think he makes a very good point about the F1 demographic. It's not as tribal as football, but I think they should be finding ways to appeal to more people, men women and children.

I'd love to see F1 as a more all-encompassing pinnacle of motorsport. I think it would be interesting to see an oval race, an endurance race, some rally stages, to show that it's the driver and the team that's tested, as part of the championship. F1 has a lot to learn from computer games and really it should be the other way round.

I'd love to see more coverage of the garages, what the teams are actually doing in the small space and time available, make the mechanics and engineers have a higher profile online for the geeks who are into it.

ShiftingGears
31st May 2012, 09:35
I'd love to see F1 as a more all-encompassing pinnacle of motorsport. I think it would be interesting to see an oval race, an endurance race, some rally stages, to show that it's the driver and the team that's tested, as part of the championship.

You forgot rounds for motorcycle racing, jet powered wheelchair racing, and karts equipped with projectile turtle shells.

SGWilko
31st May 2012, 09:54
he forgot to say the average fan drives an s-max too :dozey:

S-Maxmybitchup! :p

F1boat
31st May 2012, 10:09
You forgot rounds for motorcycle racing, jet powered wheelchair racing, and karts equipped with projectile turtle shells.
and of course, F1 boats!

nigelred5
31st May 2012, 16:43

I can say from experience, that's not a guarantee. In past times, it may have been. My son understands racing, understands that I like it and occasionally will go with me to races, but my daughter is actually far more in tune to it and actually knows drivers and who is ahead in the standings etc. He's only 11, so there's still time.

schmenke
31st May 2012, 20:32
Despite the dandruff shampoo logos on Kimi’s car, when my 7-year old sees the black and gold Lotus she exclaims “Ooh, there’s the Angry Birds car!”
I can’t be bothered to explain that sometimes it’s actually Grosjean’s car :dozey: :p : .

wedge
31st May 2012, 23:10
My apologies, but this sounds like someone who doesn't use social media themselves but has heard lots about it :D

Of course there is drivel on social media sites, just as there is in newspapers, on television and (dare I say it) on forums like this. They key to it is finding the content you are interested in, which isn't hard, and filtering out the drivel. Once that's done you have access to information, news, and (for a business) the means to manage your brand and engage with your customers.

At the last count Fernando Alonso has 591,226 followers on Twitter and his team have 277,142. That's a lot of fans, and customers, which Fernando and Ferrari have direct access to and who are interested in their brand.

It is meaningless drivel.

I've done social networking via a different forum but not related to motor sport - that was about 10 years ago when it was considered a bit mental to have a social life conducted and outside the internet. I also used to be on Friendster which was the precursor to Facebook, et al; and then the novelty quickly wore off and never bothered moving across to Myspace.

Now its a case of been there, done that.

With forums you'd get a few narcissists who wanted to be popular but its a lot, lot worse with social media today - or so I've been told.

The 0.1% - its a useful tool to engage with the public if you leave out inanities or a tool to wind up certain celebrities/high profile people! (no, I'm not a troll, honest!)

N. Jones
1st June 2012, 00:24

If he thinks F1 is getting old then he should stop going to the races. Stop watching. Just give it up altogether.

Because he is missing one great season.

TheFamousEccles
1st June 2012, 07:32
If he thinks F1 is getting old then he should stop going to the races. Stop watching. Just give it up altogether.

Because he is missing one great season.

I do tend to agree with you, but I think this Darren Heath fellow has achieved his objective - self promotion.

I read his blog once (stumbled across it, read it and left never to return) and he is a whinger, but he's got people talking about him and that - to my mind - is all these types ever want.

A good photographer, but a waste of electrons IMO. :rolleyes:

fandango
1st June 2012, 10:19

Ok, fair enough, I left myself open to that particular piss take.

BUT, when you have a situation where once a year they make a little Karting track in a stadium for F1 drivers to show what they can do, AND that there are at least two top F1 drivers who race (or would like to race) in rallies AND ex-champions who race on ice (sudden images of a Prost-Disney spectacular spring to mind) it shows that there is interest in mixing things up a bit. I mean, it could be fun, right? Which is why we like cars going round in circles, right?

I amazed at how dismissive people are of someone expressing an idea that involves change. I don't think anyone's saying that F1 is bad now, but if you're going to be the pinnacle you've got to be ahead of the game sometimes, and in relation to the internet and other things F1 just isn't.

One of the reasons I don't much like Wii racing games, for example, is that they're too far from simulating real racing conditions. I would imagine that for many kids who like those games F1 has the same problem, but in the opposite direction. Years ago I among others thought that night racing was silly and gimmicky, but from the first images of the Singapore GP I thought it looked wonderful - a whole new way for F1 to be interesting and glamorous, qualifying on a Saturday night!

People are afraid of change, but what freaks me out more is the idea of everything staying the same, to loosely quote Nick Cave...

wedge
1st June 2012, 14:30
Wedge I don't know how you can just shrug off social media and compare the present day to something you must have used back in 2002/03! It's very different now. My Twitter is almost entirely built up with following f1 and most of the stories related to the sport are either broken through Twitter or extracted from first account experiences shared through such a medium. My Facebook is built up of purely my family and friends from over the years. I've made contact and satisfied my curiousity about people I havent seen for years but wanted to. It allows me to stay in touch with friends from uni and family I don't see very often. Family events, parties, friends gatherings are often organized through Facebook and myself and many others use it to be sociable without hiding behind an anonymous identity on the internet. Social media doesnt have to be a load of drivel if you know what you are doing and aren't quick to write it off by listening to others who don't use it themselves, but read all the horror stories in the media and base their opinions on all the negatives.

Only time I seriously looked at F1 associated Twitter is during pre-season testing. The only feed worth following for the rest of the year is Scarb's.

Malbec
1st June 2012, 16:34

If you dismiss an entire category of communication I'm afraid you're simply demonstrating that you haven't grasped the significance of the new medium, just like nay-sayers at the start of the century dismissing cinema as lacking the cultural depth of theatre and literature and therefore being irrelevant.

Social media reflects the user, you can do whatever you want with it. More importantly, regardless of whether you think its rubbish for a growing number of younger people it IS the primary source of information and F1 as a sport (the drivers and teams seem to have started understanding and using it) needs to grasp this.

But no matter, F1 was slow even under Bernie's control to understand the strength of live televising of races, games/movie tie-ups, product placement and internet promotion so why should social media be any different?

I mean, the amount of money Disney brings in through 'Cars' merchandising is utterly obscene yet F1 has not bothered to do anything remotely similar, and thats with cinema, a medium thats been around for over 100 years...

DazzlaF1
1st June 2012, 17:46
I dont get this guy, if F1 is getting old, then why does it still maintain and even grow an already huge worldwide fanbase, why do sponsors keep coming and coming to back the teams and the sport, why do TV companies pay millions for he privilege to show it on their channels. Tey would'nt do it if they thought it was old fashioned.

Its an argument you could say about English Football having 4 leagues and 92 full time professional clubs since the mid 1920's but everyone including me doesnt consider that structure old, the argument is just pointless

wmcot
4th June 2012, 06:19
I dont get this guy, if F1 is getting old, then why does it still maintain and even grow an already huge worldwide fanbase, why do sponsors keep coming and coming to back the teams and the sport, why do TV companies pay millions for he privilege to show it on their channels. Tey would'nt do it if they thought it was old fashioned.

And why does he keep getting paid for his F1 photographs? He must feel really bad as he takes his checks to the bank...

BDunnell
4th June 2012, 11:02

You present this view as though it is fact. It is not.

BDunnell
4th June 2012, 11:03
And why does he keep getting paid for his F1 photographs? He must feel really bad as he takes his checks to the bank...

Why does that disqualify him from having an opinion?

wedge
4th June 2012, 14:51
You present this view as though it is fact. It is not.

It is an opinion.

If you dismiss an entire category of communication I'm afraid you're simply demonstrating that you haven't grasped the significance of the new medium, just like nay-sayers at the start of the century dismissing cinema as lacking the cultural depth of theatre and literature and therefore being irrelevant.

I don't entirely dismiss it. I, personally, haven't felt the need to rely on Twitter nor would I want to "follow".

There are blogs, columns and diaries which I, personally, find sufficient and more importantly more expansive. That's not to say that Twitter is wholly inferior.

Malbec
4th June 2012, 20:46
I don't entirely dismiss it. I, personally, haven't felt the need to rely on Twitter nor would I want to "follow".

There are blogs, columns and diaries which I, personally, find sufficient and more importantly more expansive. That's not to say that Twitter is wholly inferior.

Your initial comment was highly dismissive of the entire medium which is why I wrote what I wrote. I do agree that blogs etc are far far more informative, but Twitter has its uses as well especially in a rapidly changing environment where information through official channels is either slow, inaccurate or both. You just have to learn when its an appropriate channel to use. You can see from the way newspapers and news agencies actually directly put tweets on their websites in crises or situations like Syria where information is scarce that Twitter definitely has a very serious role to play. For F1 of course that could mean teams informing fans why a driver retired minutes after the event and so on.

On a separate note as a new father I'm looking for F1 toys to get my son interested in the sport. There is nothing whatsoever out there beyond generic open wheeler based toys. In fact there is very very little out there to encourage young kids to engage in the sport, and I'm speaking as someone actively looking forward to getting their child hooked as a fan. This is a serious problem that F1 needs to address, especially compared with the efforts football teams go to.

BDunnell
4th June 2012, 22:01
Your initial comment was highly dismissive of the entire medium which is why I wrote what I wrote. I do agree that blogs etc are far far more informative, but Twitter has its uses as well especially in a rapidly changing environment where information through official channels is either slow, inaccurate or both. You just have to learn when its an appropriate channel to use. You can see from the way newspapers and news agencies actually directly put tweets on their websites in crises or situations like Syria where information is scarce that Twitter definitely has a very serious role to play. For F1 of course that could mean teams informing fans why a driver retired minutes after the event and so on.

I agree with all of that.

BDunnell
4th June 2012, 22:02
It is an opinion.

I'm afraid that, when I see someone write 'It is meaningless drivel', that use of italics tends to suggest to me that the statement is being presented as indisputable.

wedge
5th June 2012, 01:13

Completely agree.

I personally feel the vast majority of content Twitter unappealing.

Rollo
5th June 2012, 01:26
On a separate note as a new father I'm looking for F1 toys to get my son interested in the sport. There is nothing whatsoever out there beyond generic open wheeler based toys.

I supposedly grew up in the golden age of Matchbox and Hot Wheels products and yet even when I were a kid, there still wasn't very much in the way of current motorsports toys even then. Short of the Lancia Delta Stratos in Alitalia colours, there was very little indeed.

Mekola
5th June 2012, 02:45
On a separate note as a new father I'm looking for F1 toys to get my son interested in the sport. There is nothing whatsoever out there beyond generic open wheeler based toys. In fact there is very very little out there to encourage young kids to engage in the sport, and I'm speaking as someone actively looking forward to getting their child hooked as a fan. This is a serious problem that F1 needs to address, especially compared with the efforts football teams go to.
AFAIK the only brand that has a 3 inch (or 1/64) diecast car for children replying a real F1 is Majorette. You could see they have Vettel and Webber Red Bull RB6 miniatures in their catalog. And, if you look at Hot Wheels nowadays, since 2010 they're selling a diecast of the Tyrrell P34 F1 six wheeler of 1976, albeit in fantasy colours.

jarrambide
5th June 2012, 03:30
I supposedly grew up in the golden age of Matchbox and Hot Wheels products and yet even when I were a kid, there still wasn't very much in the way of current motorsports toys even then. Short of the Lancia Delta Stratos in Alitalia colours, there was very little indeed.

A few years ago by pure chance I found Hot Wheels F1 cars in a supermarket, I bought every single one, I never saw them again in any store:

http://dev.toywonders.com/productcart/pc/catalog/H9978.jpg

fandango
5th June 2012, 18:33

I think that's more or less what the point of the title of this thread is. F1 could do with a new way of having the fans relate to it. Different ways, in fact, and to go with what works best, not to fix something that's wrong now, but to keep the sport interesting for the future.

markabilly
17th June 2012, 13:56
Your initial comment

I think I am getting old. :(

Not sure about the toys, but as a kid, my dad took me to see Grand Grix at a three screen cimearascope theater. Like it was meant to be seen. That hooked me more than anything, including toys, car models, books, etc.

guess that is why i still think the cars from 66- to 67, before the winged crap, was the best ever :D

happy father's day

21st September 2012, 14:47
In the end you can8217t want to damage your wallet in order to get incredible service strategy as nicely as a reasonably inexpensive herve ledger dress (http://hervelegerdress.online5.co.uk) handbag. When you8217ve obtained been questioning about becoming inexpensive louis vuitton purse u inside your current wardrobe components it might be period of time to acquire a search to get that consist of creator determined purses on sale. You can get pair of items that state louis vuitton outlet (http://louisvuittonsale.onshop5.com) type just like a Louis Vuitton handbag. There8217s a straightforward sac longchamp explanation that you normally see the celebs using these individuals they are really herve leger clothing p most surely a luxury items. An enormous organ of the bonus of a great Louis Vuitton purse is in fact the notion louis vuitton purse (http://www.designersbag.co.uk) that they are actually as a result unique the worth creates these people incredibly tough pertaining to virtually all numerous herve leger clothing (http://hervelegerdress.online5.co.uk) individuals. Louis Vuitton purses are available in plenty of sorts as a result picking for you want genuinely ought louis vuitton bags (http://www.designersbag.co.uk) not current a problem. Despite the fact that most of them are typically constructed louis vuitton outlet q from artificial leather you can in fact surprise them with created from a lot of distinct materials. At present which you have selected to get creator plastic bags on the net you need to have to be mindful of five factors any time acquiring all these named plastic bags. These consist of simply easy techniques that will aid you see an genuine creator purse in a suprisingly low quantity Initial one particular must learn the handbag you want favored. Choose for this you8217re very likely you want to get. The greatest louis vuitton sale c approaches you8217re capable to do that is louis vuitton british isles to appear into the real handbag with the organizations internet web site. Every single one particular of these internet webpages maintain the net-site up-to-day employing most present solutions and also the most current variety of the purses. Presently which you have picked the most successful purse you8217d like to have the subsequent make a difference to undertake is in fact to determine the purse that can be found in a reduced priced low price quantity. You might see minimal price merchants about on the world wide web internet directories for example Salehoo. You can also get 50-70 out. Who would not need include a excellent creator handbag in an hard work to comprehensive the fashion for the essential function? Fashionable purses are usually awesome in which they help you in producing a sort study. There is not any doubting around the notion that all these plastic bags are generally overly fashionable additionally they are the actual have dreamed every single and every single lover on the other hand in no way most men and women are ready to pay for to possess these individuals as they rather just michael kors handbags outlet contain a main selling price tag. Its proper that accessories prefer purses tends to make as well as burst your seem as properly as if you come about to using the correct purse the idea supply you with a sophisticated seem to be. There is not any stage about investing your spend in an energy to spend in a creator purse. The ideal methods unveiled for you listed here louis vuitton bags l is getting lower value purses as properly as reduced expense purses. Fairly a couple of all around all these minimal price purses is really how the exceptional as well as concluding is truly practically regardless of what original creator handbag despite the fact that you8217ll not really should expend a enormous quantity around purchasing one particular. Louis Vuitton Salesforce Rypple is explained as a social functionality administration toolSaint Marys hung hard even so with Lanzilli foremost the comeback endeavor It is getting marketed by Peter Migounoff and Mike Ashton of Bayleys8217 Counties business office Saint Marys was spearheaded by a pair of higher-scoring forwards junior Kaleigh Finigan and sophomore sniper Brittani Lanzilli read more (http://www.designersbag.co.uk) FFSDKA122F - (http://www.wellsince.com.tw/message.php) Bloempje van Jo - Gastenboek (http://www.bloempjevanjo.nl/Gastenboek.php) Wortspielerin Texte Taten Trolle - Gstebuch (http://www.wortspielerin.de/page5.php) Blauhster Dakkapel - Gastenboek (http://kapel.nl/page26.php) Warrnet networks Forums / mIRC help / Replying to (http://cologneforthemouth.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_post.php?rp.256311.last)