PDA

View Full Version : Gilles

Bagwan
8th May 2012, 15:22
Thirty years ago we lost a great .
His son drove his car in tribute today .

He wasn't long in F1 , but made a deep impression on it .
His dice with Arnoux is often cited as some of the best racing ever seen in the sport .

Thanks , Gilles . RIP .

pino
8th May 2012, 16:56
Allways in all tifosi's heart, thanks for the great memories Gilles...RIP.

kre35Pct0yA

ArrowsFA1
8th May 2012, 16:58
Few people get to be remembered by just their first name.

Gilles epitomised motor racing.

fandango
8th May 2012, 17:56
I couldn't help but notice that one of the photos in the tribute on Formula 1 (http://www.formula1.com) is dated as 9 May 1982. If only...

He was my childhood hero, still is, I suppose. A wonderful racer, hard driving but with respect for his rivals. His like will never be seen again...

driveace
8th May 2012, 18:43
R.I.P. Gilles Remembered as long as we have a Grand Prix in Montreal ,Canada too

TheFamousEccles
9th May 2012, 08:51
I was 16, and my folks had just sold our house and bought another and I had just taken down the posters I had of Gilles the day before. I arrived at school the next day to be asked by a mate if I had heard the news? (this was before a reliable F1 broadcast was available in the backwater where I live). I was devastated and for a brief moment guilt at taking down his pictures!

He was and is my favourite, and it's hard to believe it's been 30 years. RIP

wedge
9th May 2012, 13:34
One of if not the most iconic driver who represents the purity of a race driver and turning it into an art form.

However he enjoyed life as much as his racing and like racing he loved to live life on the edge arguably with greater reckless abandonment especially in hindsight after the death of Colin McRae.

F1boat
10th May 2012, 10:52
RIP..

Roamy
12th May 2012, 22:02
Gilles was simply - THE BEST !!

Tazio
12th May 2012, 22:49
Jus' Viva

Malbec
12th May 2012, 23:16
Thirty years ago we lost a great .
His son drove his car in tribute today .

His son looks increasingly and spookily like him too.

I never saw Gilles drive (far too young for that) but found Jacques' struggle to define his own relationship with his father fascinating as I think it motivated him to be the champion that his father never became. In fact I think it telling that the only two sons of F1 drivers to become WDC were also the two who lost their fathers at defining moments in their childhoods. I'm glad that Jacques seems to finally be at peace with things though.

D-Type
15th May 2012, 20:05
His son looks increasingly and spookily like him too.

I never saw Gilles drive (far too young for that) but found Jacques' struggle to define his own relationship with his father fascinating as I think it motivated him to be the champion that his father never became. In fact I think it telling that the only two sons of F1 drivers to become WDC were also the two who lost their fathers at defining moments in their childhoods. I'm glad that Jacques seems to finally be at peace with things though.
Interesting point. Ascari also lost his GP driver father at the age of 7 in pre-effwun days

TheFamousEccles
26th July 2012, 14:12
That's a great anecdote, Starter! Thanks for posting.

Cheers.