PDA

View Full Version : Roland Ratzenberger - 1960 to 1994

Knock-on
30th April 2012, 14:19
Roland Ratzenberger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Ratzenberger)

Not forgotten

EuroTroll
30th April 2012, 15:35
No, not forgotten.

What a weekend that was in 1994... :(

Knock-on
30th April 2012, 15:56
Hard to believe it was 18 years ago today. It doesn't seem that long but then again.... I must be getting old :)

Malbec
30th April 2012, 15:57
Roland Ratzenberger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Ratzenberger)

Not forgotten

There just aren't that many drivers like him around anymore who have overcome poor backgrounds and no parental support to get into racing. He used to maintain his competitors' cars at a junior level to get him enough cash to support his own racing career.

Even after his death in contrast to Senna's national burial with full honours a Japanese team that Ratzenberger had raced for in the past donated his tombstone as his parents struggled to afford anything decent.

Very sad death of a guy who overcame more obstacles than most to fulfil his dream.

EuroTroll
30th April 2012, 16:07
Hard to believe it was 28 years ago today. It doesn't seem that long but then again.... I must be getting old :)

You're not that old, Knockie. :) It was 18 years ago.

Knock-on
30th April 2012, 16:12
You're not that old, Knockie. :) It was 18 years ago.

Oh dear. Trying to sort out HMRC on the phone and type at the same time. Doh!!

N. Jones
30th April 2012, 21:39
I wasn't watching F1 back in 1994 so I never saw the events in real time. I have seen clips of the '94 San Marino GP though and they saddened me.
It must have been tough to watch it live.

truefan72
30th April 2012, 22:05
yeah I remember that weekend
was entirely surreal

CNR
30th April 2012, 22:40
Imola 1994: Remembering Roland - Racer.com (http://www.racer.com/imola-1994-remembering-roland/article/238808/)

fan-veteran
1st May 2012, 06:48
This accident once again confirmed (back then) the stupidity of FIA/FOCA and so on. It was clearly visible for many years that the neck of the drivers is not protected at all!!! They wear helmets but it was also visible that the protection of their heads is inadequate. Even a child would ask a question what will happen with the neck of the driver in the case of a heavy crash. The fatal accident with Senna the next day confirmed this. And instead of drastic countermeasures to be taken to enhance the neck and head protection .... FIA decided to lower somewhat the power of cars and redesign the tracks (redesigning is good, but should be done in a different way and many years before). The accident with Hakkinen in Adelaide next year only confirmed their stupidity - Hakkinen barely survived, because his neck and head protection were still inadequate, and to add the track safety negligence of only one tire thick belt next to the wall!!

The Black Knight
1st May 2012, 08:25
Yep, I like to see threads like this. Senna's death completely overshadowed Roland Ratzenberger's death whom himself was a fine pilot. It's good to remember the others lost too, it even might be an idea to open a thread to all those lost in F1 throughout the years because their deaths all contributed in their own way towards the exceptional safety standards which exist today in F1.

ArrowsFA1
1st May 2012, 09:31
This accident once again confirmed (back then) the stupidity of FIA/FOCA and so on. It was clearly visible for many years that the neck of the drivers is not protected at all!!! They wear helmets but it was also visible that the protection of their heads is inadequate. Even a child would ask a question what will happen with the neck of the driver in the case of a heavy crash.
With the benefit of hindsight yes, but in 1994 that's just how the cars were and they were considered reasonably safe. Ten years or so before Imola the drivers legs were ahead of the front wheels and you might say how absurd that was, but fortunately things move on and improve.

RIP Roland Ratzenberger

Knock-on
1st May 2012, 10:55
yeah I remember that weekend
was entirely surreal

Surreal is the word. The shock of Rolands death was accompanied by a feeling that all the bad luck was done. Surely nothing else could go wrong could it? And then Senna. It seemed so unfair.

When you see some of the accidents that have happened over the last 18 years, you appreciate the advances that have be made in safety. Todays drivers owe a huge debt to the 2 racers that lost their lives that weekend.

fan-veteran
1st May 2012, 16:53
Ten years or so before Imola the drivers legs were ahead of the front wheels and you might say how absurd that was, but fortunately things move on and improve.
And the accident with Ricardo Paletti in Canada 1982 confirmed the obvious (to everyone, but it seems not to FIA) - that the frontal part of the car around legs is too short according to regulations. But irrespective of this established fact cars had inadequate frontal crash strength up until 1991 or so!!!!

steveaki13
1st May 2012, 19:58
Surreal is the word. The shock of Rolands death was accompanied by a feeling that all the bad luck was done. Surely nothing else could go wrong could it? And then Senna. It seemed so unfair.

When you see some of the accidents that have happened over the last 18 years, you appreciate the advances that have be made in safety. Todays drivers owe a huge debt to the 2 racers that lost their lives that weekend.

To true.

It is important to remember Roland, it is easy to think only of Senna when thinking of that weekend.

It was a terrible weekend, lets hope we don't see a weekend like that for a good long time. (I would say ever, but we know unfortunatley we will in all probability see a death again at some point.)

tfp
1st May 2012, 23:30
RIP Ayrton and Roland :(

wedge
3rd May 2012, 14:36
There just aren't that many drivers like him around anymore who have overcome poor backgrounds and no parental support to get into racing. He used to maintain his competitors' cars at a junior level to get him enough cash to support his own racing career.

Even after his death in contrast to Senna's national burial with full honours a Japanese team that Ratzenberger had raced for in the past donated his tombstone as his parents struggled to afford anything decent.

Very sad death of a guy who overcame more obstacles than most to fulfil his dream.

Roland Ratzenberger's career deserves a book all of its own.

Whereas Senna's funeral had the full VIP treatment only 2 F1 drivers attended Ratzenberger's.