PDA

View Full Version : BTCC Donington Park - Rounds 4, 5 and 6

christophulus
14th April 2012, 22:23
So, we roll on to Donington. I've set the whole day aside to watch the racing :-)

Plato takes the first pole for a NGTC car, shows just how good Triple 8 are at building cars!

Jason Plato
MG6
1:10.604
--

Gordon Shedden
Honda Civic
1:10.658

Matt Neal
Honda Civic
1:10.911

I
Andrew Jordan
Honda Civic
1:11.068

I
Robert Collard
BMW 320si E90
1:11.071

I
Mat Jackson
Ford Focus
1:11.205

I
Dave Newsham
Vauxhall Vectra
1:11.305

I
Rob Austin
Audi A4
1:11.322

I
Jeff Smith
Honda Civic
1:11.443

I
Aron Smith
Ford Focus
1:11.568

I
Frank Wrathall
Toyota Avensis
1:11.614

I
Tom Onslow-Cole
BMW 320si E90
1:11.654

I
Daniel Welch
Proton Persona
1:11.954

I
Nick Foster
BMW 320si E90
1:11.982

I
Chris James
Vauxhall Vectra
1:12.067

I
Liam Griffin
Ford Focus
1:12.277

I
Lea Wood
Vauxhall Vectra
1:12.409

I
Tony Gilham
Honda Civic
1:12.594

I
Ollie Jackson
VW Golf MK5
1:12.891

I
Adam Morgan
Toyota Avensis
1:13.016

I
Tony Hughes
Toyota Avensis
1:17.117

I
John Thorne
Vauxhall Insignia VXR-R
1:29.668

Andy Neate
MG6
No time
No time
No time

BTCC :: Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship (http://www.btcc.net/html/raceresults_detail.php?race_id=98&season_id=55)

VkmSpouge
14th April 2012, 23:13
It's a shame that Rob Austin couldn't go out later in the session, he probably would have improved on his time.

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 09:55
Austin had a spark plug problem, it seems, causing a misfire.

As for the rest, it was a bit of an odd qualifying session because of the rain. Maybe this explains why Onslow-Cole, for instance, is so far down. I'm surprised by how much Collard has got the upper hand so far in the WSR team. Fantastic pole for MG, by the way. I'm not surprised at all that Triple Eight should have developed a winning car, but its pace after so little running must be classed as impressive by any standards.

Alfa Fan
15th April 2012, 10:28
Thorne withdrawn from this weekend thankfully.

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 11:17
Thorne withdrawn from this weekend thankfully.

Yes, I was going to say — there was no way he should have been allowed to race after setting a time like that.

Onslow-Cole may have had an engine problem yesterday, it seems.

Alfa Fan
15th April 2012, 11:19
Yes, I was going to say — there was no way he should have been allowed to race after setting a time like that.

That and the fact he was off the track as often as at Brands as well.

Alfa Fan
15th April 2012, 11:47
Plato just got Plato'd

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 11:50
Watching this race, I see no discrepancy in boost between the leading cars at all, I must say.

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 12:02
What a very clean race amongst the front-runners. Yes, Jackson made contact with Plato to take the lead, but he clearly had a much faster car, and I thought everyone ended up pretty much where they should have. Shame Collard 'did a Raikkonen' and fell back dramatically — very curious indeed. Brilliant racing between him and Wrathall, though.

Tixy54
15th April 2012, 12:45
Plato just got Plato'd

What a brilliant saying, I like it very much.

christophulus
15th April 2012, 14:19
Plato just got Plato'd

And again in race 2!

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 14:38
Goodness, those BMWs seem to have no pace over a race distance. Silly incident between Plato and Collard; great victory by Shedden.

I have to say I'm finding Toby Moody's commentary profoundly annoying — his voice isn't pleasant to my ear, and he seems all over the place.

Tixy54
15th April 2012, 14:57
Mr Plato just Plato'd himself.....ha, ha..

christophulus
15th April 2012, 15:15
I have to say I'm finding Toby Moody's commentary profoundly annoying — his voice isn't pleasant to my ear, and he seems all over the place.

Agreed. He has the enthusiasm but I was hoping I'd have got used to him by now. Still irritating.

Tixy54
15th April 2012, 15:37
Agreed. He has the enthusiasm but I was hoping I'd have got used to him by now. Still irritating.

I was right as I said before, after brands hatch, he should be called "Tubby Muddled"

Wasted Talent
15th April 2012, 16:06
Mr Plato just Plato'd himself.....ha, ha..

Got exactly what he deserved in Race 2 - zero points.

Great to see MG at the sharp end but Plato was obviously encouraged by punting Newsham off at Brands and getting awy with it

WT

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 16:10
Evidence in this second Porsche race that Daniel Lloyd ought to be in the BTCC. He was excellent when he appeared in the Triple Eight Vectra at Croft in 2010, and he raced superbly just now to take third.

As for Plato in that second race, he didn't exactly punt Collard off, did he?

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 17:25
Absurdly chaotic opening laps of race three...

christophulus
15th April 2012, 17:40
Have they all been drinking??

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 17:49
No way in the world Plato should go unpenalised for that last corner push on Shedden. That's not on. I don't think a reversal of positions would be sufficient; an exclusion would seem more appropriate for what was a deliberate piece of contact. Surely an example should be set this time? Shedden's anger is totally justified.

Other than that, a brilliant win by Jackson, a fantastic race by Gilham, and further indication that the BMWs can't hack it over a race distance.

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 17:53
And come on Steve Rider, don't go calling it 'fantastic spectacle'. You can do better than that.

christophulus
15th April 2012, 18:04
And come on Steve Rider, don't go calling it 'fantastic spectacle'. You can do better than that.

ITV seem to think fans are only interested if it's like a destruction derby. Agree that Plato should have a heavy penalty.

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 18:08
ITV seem to think fans are only interested if it's like a destruction derby.

It is a problem. I have a high regard for Tim Harvey, but there are only so many times I can take being told that this is 'good, close racing' or 'that was a classic Matt Neal manoeuvre' when the racing or the manoeuvre in question shouldn't be deemed appropriate.

Tixy54
15th April 2012, 18:41
No way in the world Plato should go unpenalised for that last corner push on Shedden. That's not on. I don't think a reversal of positions would be sufficient; an exclusion would seem more appropriate for what was a deliberate piece of contact. Surely an example should be set this time? Shedden's anger is totally justified.

Other than that, a brilliant win by Jackson, a fantastic race by Gilham, and further indication that the BMWs can't hack it over a race distance.

I have to agree, whoever you support in this race series,that was out & out cheating, Mr Plato has got away with it for far too long. There aren't many of the "top" drivers that haven't been Plato'd at some time or other, if the clerk of the course won't do anything I think that all of these drivers should get together and make a protest, even to the point of a boycott if necessary. No driver is bigger than the rule book and I'm afraid that Mr Plato has got away with it just too often. Some of his race tactics leave a very sour taste in the mouth. As I have said before in these forums, I'll take nothing away from the fact that he is a very talented driver, however, this also means that he doesn't have to resort to these kind of "blatant cheating" tactics. If you can't win anything fairly then don't enter, no-one has to resort to tactics which could end up with one of your fellow competitors, or, worse still, cheering fans or marshalls getting seriously injured.

Rant over, who agrees? Stand up and be counted - even supporters of Mr Plato, I'd love to hear your comments.

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 18:46
I have to agree, whoever you support in this race series,that was out & out cheating, Mr Plato has got away with it for far too long. There aren't many of the "top" drivers that haven't been Plato'd at some time or other, if the clerk of the course won't do anything I think that all of these drivers should get together and make a protest, even to the point of a boycott if necessary. No driver is bigger than the rule book and I'm afraid that Mr Plato has got away with it just too often. Some of his race tactics leave a very sour taste in the mouth. As I have said before in these forums, I'll take nothing away from the fact that he is a very talented driver, however, this also means that he doesn't have to resort to these kind of "blatant cheating" tactics. If you can't win anything fairly then don't enter, no-one has to resort to tactics which could end up with one of your fellow competitors, or, worse still, cheering fans or marshalls getting seriously injured.

Rant over, who agrees? Stand up and be counted - even supporters of Mr Plato, I'd love to hear your comments.

Well, it wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen in the BTCC by a long shot, but, as I said earlier, I think an example needs to be set at some point. To me, it was just a shame a position had to be decided in such a way at the very end of what had been a clean race between the three front-runners. I don't care who is involved, not supporting any one driver over any other — all I want to see is good racing in the proper sense. And there was plenty of that today, too, not least from Plato in coming through in that third race.

BDunnell
15th April 2012, 21:07
Post-race, Plato was demoted to third for his move on Shedden: then Jackson was excluded for a turbo boost infringement. So, Shedden wins from Plato and, in third, Gilham. Good reward for Gilham, I feel, after a fine and clean drive.

BTCC :: Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship (http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=2929)

Allyc85
15th April 2012, 21:34
Seems like justice has been done, im glad the stewards have done something about it :)

m.lowe
15th April 2012, 21:51
new track put in for next round
Barford Camp

rwdvectra
15th April 2012, 22:39
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5536/vectrag.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/vectrag.jpg/)

Tixy54
16th April 2012, 08:33
I got the news on the stewards decisions last night, from Gordon, I have nothing more to say on the matter.

HondaRacingFan
17th April 2012, 01:32
Plato once again being the ass of the weekend.

1. Tried to squeeze out collard but failed.
2. Then failed to to pass Shedden cleanly though the course of Race 3, so resorted to pushing him off.

Im not jking Plato's driving standards seems to get worse every year. i don't mind the odd nudge and rub but pushing a driver half way down a straight at high speed was out of order and the 2second penalty wasn't good enough. they should of excluded him.

the thing i don't get is. they can fine collard for doing celebratory do-nuts but not fine Plato for dangerous driving. i don't get it.

HondaRacingFan
17th April 2012, 01:37
Correct me if im wrong but thats Chris James car, not Newshams and that was what James did himself. nothing to do with Plato. but still funny as hell.

wedge
17th April 2012, 11:46
Plato is an utter twunt.

This time last year he was complaining about driving standards.

Is it any wonder BTCC has it haters, not just viewers but marshals as well.

I was never a fan of the Plato v Neal/TD rivalry. It's been inauthentic, childish and sunk to another low.

OK the standards in NASCAR aren't great either but at least they know don't want a rivalry to get out of hand. As BDunnel pointed out earlier, an example needs to be set.

BDunnell
17th April 2012, 13:06
Plato is an utter twunt.

This time last year he was complaining about driving standards.

Is it any wonder BTCC has it haters, not just viewers but marshals as well.

I was never a fan of the Plato v Neal/TD rivalry. It's been inauthentic, childish and sunk to another low.

OK the standards in NASCAR aren't great either but at least they know don't want a rivalry to get out of hand. As BDunnel pointed out earlier, an example needs to be set.

My particular problem with this incident was that you could see it coming a mile off. You just knew there was going to be contact at the last corner, if not before. That's not what I want to see in motor racing I watch.

MattyB
17th April 2012, 19:43

I wholeheartedly agree - Plato is too arrogant for his own good - and too dangerous for his fellow drivers. His style should be more in-tune (no pun intended) with stock-car racing, where men are men and don't hide behind a facade of smugness. It needs a brave driver to stand up to Plato and give him the ear-bending/mouthful he so deserves. He should have a) been disqualified for his 3rd race antics, or b) given a 10 second penalty, as he was shown to have pushed Shedden down the straight well before the corner. It would have been interesting to see his reaction if he had rolled Shedden.........or cause serious injury or worse (God forbid). Maybe he'd like to see a replay of Charlie Cox at Thruxton doing his somersaults.......?

It really is time to see some authority be exerted over the rule book and bring the racing back to the non-contact sport that made it so popular with the public, before the BTCC degenerates any further into a lost cause.

BDunnell
18th April 2012, 00:08
I wholeheartedly agree - Plato is too arrogant for his own good - and too dangerous for his fellow drivers. His style should be more in-tune (no pun intended) with stock-car racing, where men are men and don't hide behind a facade of smugness. It needs a brave driver to stand up to Plato and give him the ear-bending/mouthful he so deserves. He should have a) been disqualified for his 3rd race antics, or b) given a 10 second penalty, as he was shown to have pushed Shedden down the straight well before the corner. It would have been interesting to see his reaction if he had rolled Shedden.........or cause serious injury or worse (God forbid). Maybe he'd like to see a replay of Charlie Cox at Thruxton doing his somersaults.......?

It really is time to see some authority be exerted over the rule book and bring the racing back to the non-contact sport that made it so popular with the public, before the BTCC degenerates any further into a lost cause.

I have absolutely no beef at all with the individuals concerned. It's the general attitude that worries me. Jeff Allam was employed by Alan Gow as a driving standards advisor last year. By the tone of some comments of his quoted in an article, he was serious about the role. Yet what good has it done? Can anyone honestly say that it had an effect? If it did, goodness knows how bad things would have become otherwise.

HondaRacingFan
21st April 2012, 15:29
I have absolutely no beef at all with the individuals concerned. It's the general attitude that worries me. Jeff Allam was employed by Alan Gow as a driving standards advisor last year. By the tone of some comments of his quoted in an article, he was serious about the role. Yet what good has it done? Can anyone honestly say that it had an effect? If it did, goodness knows how bad things would have become otherwise.

I don't think it's made any change if anything made things far worse.

BDunnell
21st April 2012, 18:41
I don't think it's made any change if anything made things far worse.

I can't see how things getting worse could be Allam's fault, to be honest. Ought not the MSA to be more concerned?

Allyc85
21st April 2012, 23:43
:laugh: Seriously how can it have got worse than Donington last year?! :laugh:

10th May 2012, 14:46
Can certainly manifest as a time off if reproduction hand bags get out of beds within the in actuality while the system. ¥ô¥£¥È¥ó¥Ð¥Ã¥° (http://www.lv-japan.net/) the number of boyish babes it is acclimatized a duplicate of the identical esteemed Louis Vuitton bag and never have any idea it's mainly not the complete field. after on this exercising for the boyish little girls are all around to come to be ¥ë¥¤¥Ó¥È¥ó Ø”²¼ (http://www.lv-japan.net/) adult females and actuality that trip way less status the entire designer'm clutches, such types of prestigious Louis Vuitton money is able delivers a abounding opportunity or merely one that they will wealthiness you need to.¥ë¥¤¥Ó¥È¥ó Ø”²¼ : [url=http://www.lv-japan.net/]激安 ヴィトンãƒ