PDA

View Full Version : Rubens on Wind Tunnel

garyshell
2nd April 2012, 06:48
I just watched the interview Dave did with Rubens on Wind Tunnel. I am just so glad this guy is in Indycar. I have always thought he was a class act, and that interview certainly kept that image alive. The way he spoke about the 500 and that look in his eyes made it obvious how much importance that race still holds, even to guys in F1. I can't wait to see the tears in his eyes that he spoke about.

Gary

FIAT1
2nd April 2012, 14:05
Class act is uderstatement when it comes to Rubens. What a great human bean. I agree with you, Very happy he is in Indycar.

numanoid
2nd April 2012, 17:29
I liked his post qualifying and pre-race interviews. He does have a lot of unrealistic expectations on his shoulders from some fans. It was great to see him finish top 10 and dice it up out there.

Does anyone have a link to the Wind Tunnel interview if it exists online?

garyshell
2nd April 2012, 19:11
I liked his post qualifying and pre-race interviews. He does have a lot of unrealistic expectations on his shoulders from some fans. It was great to see him finish top 10 and dice it up out there.

Does anyone have a link to the Wind Tunnel interview if it exists online?

It doesn't look like it is up yet, but if it is posted it will be here:

Watch WIND TUNNEL Video on SPEED (http://www.speedtv.com/video/wind-tunnel)

Gary

Marbles
4th April 2012, 00:13
I just watched the interview Dave did with Rubens on Wind Tunnel. I am just so glad this guy is in Indycar. I have always thought he was a class act, and that interview certainly kept that image alive. The way he spoke about the 500 and that look in his eyes made it obvious how much importance that race still holds, even to guys in F1. I can't wait to see the tears in his eyes that he spoke about.

Gary

I've always liked RB but considering his age, new cars, new tracks and new competitors that he has no idea what they'll do when he gets along side them in a car -- expectations are way to high from some. Interesting about his mentioning how he was never "contractually" obligated to be a tail gunner for Schumacher. RB strikes me as a nice guy and he probably "knew" his role and was also probably given the back-up plan and beta parts for Ferrari strategy.

There is no doubt in my mind that if RB was the "A" driver at Ferrari with someone else watching his back he would have been a WDC several times over.

heliocastroneves#3
4th April 2012, 15:30
Barrichello indeed always has been "used" at Ferrari. Despite that, he still has had a great career in F1. He never became a world champion, that's right... But I'm sure a lot of young driver talents right now, can only dream of such an F1 career like Rubens had.

I'm also glad he's in IndyCar, and in only his second start he just managed to finish into the top 10. More great results are coming for Rubinho!

The man is a great person, and believe me... It was painful to see him struggeling with that Williams, and even more to see him failing to score a single point in 2007.. In 2009, I was just rooting for Rubinho. Simply because it would have been awesome if he would have won that championship in the Brawn. He still drove a good season there anyway. I'm very curious about his oval performance, but on the road courses... He's coming!

DexDexter
4th April 2012, 19:05
I've always liked RB but considering his age, new cars, new tracks and new competitors that he has no idea what they'll do when he gets along side them in a car -- expectations are way to high from some. Interesting about his mentioning how he was never "contractually" obligated to be a tail gunner for Schumacher. RB strikes me as a nice guy and he probably "knew" his role and was also probably given the back-up plan and beta parts for Ferrari strategy.

There is no doubt in my mind that if RB was the "A" driver at Ferrari with someone else watching his back he would have been a WDC several times over.

Rubens had an excellent opportunity to be a WDC in a dominant car in 2009 but wasn't good enough so let's not twist things around. Still a good driver at his best.

Marbles
4th April 2012, 22:39
Rubens had an excellent opportunity to be a WDC in a dominant car in 2009 but wasn't good enough so let's not twist things around. Still a good driver at his best.

I'm guessing you didn't completely read the quote you used. I was speaking of RB being the No. 1 driver in the all-conquering Ferrari at the turn of the century. You are talking about the semi-dominant Mercedes with the trick diffuser of 2009. The one in which eventual WDC Button failed to win a race after the mid-point of the season when the other top teams caught up (RB won two in the second half).
so let's not twist things around.

DexDexter
5th April 2012, 08:50
I'm guessing you didn't completely read the quote you used. I was speaking of RB being the No. 1 driver in the all-conquering Ferrari at the turn of the century. You are talking about the semi-dominant Mercedes with the trick diffuser of 2009. The one in which eventual WDC Button failed to win a race after the mid-point of the season when the other top teams caught up (RB won two in the second half).

Ok, but Rubens would never have got the Ferrari drive if he wasn't prepared to be the number two driver, that was his standing at the time. But you're probably right, in a dominant Ferrari he would've won championships. This is offtopic anyway, since it's the Indycar forum. Sorry.

Marbles
5th April 2012, 19:59
Ok, but Rubens would never have got the Ferrari drive if he wasn't prepared to be the number two driver, that was his standing at the time. But you're probably right, in a dominant Ferrari he would've won championships. This is offtopic anyway, since it's the Indycar forum. Sorry.

No apologies necessary, after all this is an RB thread and I think we agree more than disagree. I also think RB is a good driver because great drivers are pretty rare in my estimation.

Mark
5th April 2012, 20:09
Well you certainly don't stay in F1 as long as he did without being outstanding. He should still be in F1 this year IMO but youth is what they are looking for.

Marbles
6th April 2012, 22:53
Well you certainly don't stay in F1 as long as he did without being outstanding. He should still be in F1 this year IMO but youth is what they are looking for.

You may get your wish. I thought he had put F1 behind him but there's always hope.

IndyCar's Barrichello open to F1 return - sportsnet.ca (http://www.sportsnet.ca/autoracing/2012/04/04/rubens_barrichello_formula_one_indycar/)

"Barrichello said he talked to Bernie Ecclestone earlier this year and that the F1 boss joked that he would keep an eye on a spot in the series for him.

"He asked me if I was really going to race in IndyCar and I told him that 'Yeah, because you didn't find me a place in F1,"' Barrichello joked. "He said he will see what he can do about it. Really, you just have to see what happens, you have to stay open about it."

Barrichello finished first in a recent poll conducted by Italian magazine Autosprint about who should replace Massa at Ferrari, beating Italian Jarno Trulli and Mexican sensation Sergio Perez, who was second to Massa's teammate Fernando Alonso at the Malaysian Grand Prix two weeks ago."

I'd hate for him to get a call just before Indy.

garyshell
7th April 2012, 07:15
You may get your wish. I thought he had put F1 behind him but there's always hope.

IndyCar's Barrichello open to F1 return - sportsnet.ca (http://www.sportsnet.ca/autoracing/2012/04/04/rubens_barrichello_formula_one_indycar/)

"Barrichello said he talked to Bernie Ecclestone earlier this year and that the F1 boss joked that he would keep an eye on a spot in the series for him.

"He asked me if I was really going to race in IndyCar and I told him that 'Yeah, because you didn't find me a place in F1,"' Barrichello joked. "He said he will see what he can do about it. Really, you just have to see what happens, you have to stay open about it."

Barrichello finished first in a recent poll conducted by Italian magazine Autosprint about who should replace Massa at Ferrari, beating Italian Jarno Trulli and Mexican sensation Sergio Perez, who was second to Massa's teammate Fernando Alonso at the Malaysian Grand Prix two weeks ago."

I'd hate for him to get a call just before Indy.

That little talk was before he got here and found out that the drivers actually get along, rather than stabbing each other in the back. He found out he doesn't have to play second fiddle to the primary driver of the team. he found out he could actually interact with the fans, rather than being sequestered away from everyone except Bernie's rich friends. There is no way in hell he'd go play number two to Alonso at Ferrari. He might have considered it before he came here and ran two races, not now.

Gary

P.S. Oh and he found out he no longer has to kiss that little troll's ass any longer.

DexDexter
7th April 2012, 13:19
That little talk was before he got here and found out that the drivers actually get along, rather than stabbing each other in the back. He found out he doesn't have to play second fiddle to the primary driver of the team. he found out he could actually interact with the fans, rather than being sequestered away from everyone except Bernie's rich friends. There is no way in hell he'd go play number two to Alonso at Ferrari. He might have considered it before he came here and ran two races, not now.

Gary

P.S. Oh and he found out he no longer has to kiss that little troll's ass any longer.

He would buy a plane ticket tomorrow if Ferrari called. :rolleyes:

anthonyvop
7th April 2012, 14:25

Gary

April 6, 2012
“If they [Ferrari] call me today to go drive for them I would go.” Said Rubens Barrichello, who won 9 races for Ferrari during his spell with the team, “It was the best team I’ve ever driven for in terms of support, of creativity. But there were definitely some spicy episodes.”

Rubens Barrichello Would Consider F1 Return With Ferrari - FinalSectorFinalSector (http://finalsector.co.uk/rubens-barrichello-would-consider-f1-return-with-ferrari/)

garyshell
7th April 2012, 17:54
Rubens Barrichello Would Consider F1 Return With Ferrari - FinalSectorFinalSector (http://finalsector.co.uk/rubens-barrichello-would-consider-f1-return-with-ferrari/)

While the article is dated April 6. I am curious when the quote occured.

Gary

7th April 2012, 18:48
-bump-http://www.camcorderdcr.com

anthonyvop
8th April 2012, 05:03
It was after Barber

F1boat
8th April 2012, 10:14
He is a great asset to Indy Car series and he is a very experienced and good driver, but I'm not buying the hype that he is such a great and nice man. For example, he gets a contract in this series, for Vasser and his friend TK and yet is ready to return to Ferrari immediately. The same Ferrari team which he claimed was unfair to him for many years, although he got tons of money from it. IMO he was not a champion because he simply wasn't good enough, worse driver and both Schumacher and Button. I'd be happy for him if he succeeds in Indy Car, because he is really passionate about racing, but I wouldn't join the choir which present him as the best driver, cheated by fate.