PDA

View Full Version : Donkey of the Race

Koz
25th March 2012, 11:48
Narain Karthikeyan - get this blocking douchebag off the track please.

Sergio Perez - should have won damn it!

RBR :D

donKey jote
25th March 2012, 11:49
all those alonso haters and conspiracy theorists :p

Garry Walker
25th March 2012, 11:50
McLaren and Sauber strategy guys.

CNR
25th March 2012, 11:53
sauber f1
i hope that it was not coded message to stay behind the engine supplier

F1boat
25th March 2012, 11:53
karthikeyan

Tazio
25th March 2012, 11:57
Mercedes F1

gm99
25th March 2012, 11:57
Grosjean for ruining his and Schumacher's race right at the start and then spinning out. His good qualifying results aren't worth sh*t if he doesn't manage to hold it together in the race.
And Massa - another simply appalling race from him.

F1boat
25th March 2012, 11:58
Grosjean for ruining his and Schumacher's race right at the start and then spinning out. His good qualifying results aren't worth sh*t if he doesn't manage to hold it together in the race.

Yes!

truefan72
25th March 2012, 11:59
mclaren pit crew servicing Hamilton's car

cost him all the track position

AndyL
25th March 2012, 12:00
Sauber for pitting Perez a lap too late, and then when he pulled the gap back telling him to settle for second.

If that was a coded message, then it shows why Luca di Montezemolo must never get his wish of having a Ferrari B team on the grid. It would just be another 2 cars that he could order to defer to Alonso.

truefan72
25th March 2012, 12:07

agreed
pit stop errors and bringing the guys in a lap late

truefan72
25th March 2012, 12:08
I'm absolutely amazed to see karthikeyan put forward as a donkey on here. Neither the incidents with Button and Vettel were his fault in the slightest. Button went in deep fighting him for position and Vettel misjudged his pass and cut across him.

My donkey would be Massa for just failing to keep pace throughout the whole race. He really is on borrowed time and I think he knows it.

henners88 I agree completely :up:

F1boat
25th March 2012, 12:10
Even I can't defend Massa now, when one driver wins and the other is no where, he is driving like Luca Badoer now. Perez will be a great asset to the team!

N4D13
25th March 2012, 12:15
Even I can't defend Massa now, when one driver wins and the other is no where, he is driving like Luca Badoer now. Perez will be a great asset to the team!
After today, it doesn't look like Pérez will be leaving Sauber anytime soon. Even if Ferrari improved its car significantly, hardly would Sergio adapt quickly enough to a different car without any testing.

The donkeys for me are Massa (business as usual), Grosjean and Karthikeyan. Narain wasn't at fault in the Button and Vettel incidents, but he caused everyone who lapped him to lose quite a few tenths every time, whereas (AFAIK) Pedro didn't.

BDunnell
25th March 2012, 12:17
After today, it doesn't look like Pérez will be leaving Sauber anytime soon. Even if Ferrari improved its car significantly, hardly would Sergio adapt quickly enough to a different car without any testing.

Indeed. Do we think Perez would have been in with a chance of winning that race had he been in a Ferrari? I'm not sure he would have been able to get as much out of it as Alonso.

Roamy
25th March 2012, 12:20

I agree. Don't know what has happen to Massa but looks like maybe Nascar Trucks could be his new future.

Brown, Jon Brow
Button for trying a Coulthard-esque move on Karthikeyan.

Hawkmoon
I'm absolutely amazed to see karthikeyan put forward as a donkey on here. Neither the incidents with Button and Vettel were his fault in the slightest. Button went in deep fighting him for position and Vettel misjudged his pass and cut across him.

My donkey would be Massa for just failing to keep pace throughout the whole race. He really is on borrowed time and I think he knows it.

Absolutely. Karthikeyan did nothing wrong. Button stuck his nose where it didn't belong and Vettel just screwed up.

The donkey is easily Massa. Early on I thought that his improved qualifying relative to Alonso was going to carry on into the race but old habits die hard it would seem and he started going backwards. With, as far as I'm aware, no car trouble what-so-ever Massa finished 97 seconds behind Alonso. 97 bloody seconds!

Roamy
25th March 2012, 12:23
sauber f1
i hope that it was not coded message to stay behind the engine supplier

I really doubt he would have driven off the track if he had a message.
Plus I don't think you would want to be laying down if your boss was Carlos Slim

N4D13
25th March 2012, 12:27
Plus I don't think you would want to be laying down if your boss was Carlos Slim
Of course, some people would start with BS about Sauber giving Pérez the order not to overtake Alonso. Is it so difficult to understand that Sauber didn't want Pérez to make any unnecessary moves and overtake Alonso unsafely? Pérez was clearly faster than Alonso at that time - Sauber just wanted to make sure that he overtook Fernando without taking any more risks than he should.

EuroTroll
25th March 2012, 12:27
No real donkeys for me this time. If pressed, I'd go for Button or Massa, though the latter is more of a slug than a donkey. :s

Brown, Jon Brow
25th March 2012, 12:31
If a Ferrari customer-engined car had beaten Alonso I think we can be fairly sure that Luca di Montezemolo would have had Peter Sauber assinated one way or another.

pino
25th March 2012, 12:34
If a Ferrari customer-engined car had beaten Alonso I think we can be fairly sure that Luca di Montezemolo would have had Peter Sauber assinated one way or another.

No more beers today for you mate :p :

BDunnell
25th March 2012, 12:54
No real donkeys for me this time. If pressed, I'd go for Button or Massa, though the latter is more of a slug than a donkey. :s

Surely Grosjean merits a mention to. Having only heard the race on the radio I obviously haven't seen the incident yet, but I gather it was definitely Grosjean's fault that he made contact with Schumacher — on the radio, he placed the blame with Schumacher! Maybe something got a bit 'lost in translation'.

EuroTroll
25th March 2012, 13:02
Surely Grosjean merits a mention to. Having only heard the race on the radio I obviously haven't seen the incident yet, but I gather it was definitely Grosjean's fault that he made contact with Schumacher — on the radio, he placed the blame with Schumacher! Maybe something got a bit 'lost in translation'.

Ah, yes. He was out of the race so early that I forgot about him. I'm not sure he merits a mention for the Schumacher incident, but certainly for being the only one to stick it to the gravel.

Hawkmoon
25th March 2012, 13:04

He clearly lost the back end causing his left rear to hit Schumy's right rear which sent the Mercedes into a spin. Gorsjean then blamed Schumy for hitting him. I think Grosjean will change his mind if he watches the footage.

fandango
25th March 2012, 13:05

I agree completely with this. And even worse for Massa that the team have given him a new chassis, AND the guy most rumoured to be in line to replace him finishes second.

jens
25th March 2012, 13:08
Button, Vettel (both losing caution for a moment), Massa, Grosjean. And what happened to Kobayashi? He was nowhere near Pérez this race.

AndyL
25th March 2012, 13:20

No, indeed, it surely wasn't a deliberate move by Perez. But the team sowed a seed of uncertainty in his mind with a negative message. He's still an inexperienced driver. If they'd just kept quiet and let him get on with it I don't think he would have made that mistake.

steveaki13
25th March 2012, 13:29
Sauber Team - Telling their driver to be careful when he had the race there for the taking. You have to be more positive. I didn't hear it as a "Be careful when you try to overtake wait for the right moment" message it seemed alot more like a "Don't even risk an attempt to pass we just want 18 points and not to take out a Ferrari or they'll get mad" message.

Mercedes - Race Pace????????

Button - While not an outragous donkey, he made a terrible mistake attempting to pass Karthikeyan, then didn't really storm through as I thought.

Massa - Slow again while his team mate is leading the race.

Vettel - Not a real donkey either but a donkey -esc move while lapping the HRT.

steveaki13
25th March 2012, 13:32
Also have to add I think Narain Karthikeyan had no fault in either incident.

He got himself into 10th and was struggling into the corner and ran slightly wide and Button went in too deep and smashed into him all Button's fault.

Then he was minding his own business and got out of the way and Vettel just cut in on him and done him again.

So to see some here saying he needs to be taken off the track or punished seems bang out of order to me...

DexDexter
25th March 2012, 13:39
Grosjean is the donkey of the race. First he hit Schumacher and then a little later spun out. He is wasting the speed of the Lotus. Massa's case is just sad, I don't even want to call him a donkey.

djparky
25th March 2012, 13:48
Massa for another dismal race

Garry Walker
25th March 2012, 14:27
Indeed. Do we think Perez would have been in with a chance of winning that race had he been in a Ferrari? I'm not sure he would have been able to get as much out of it as Alonso. There is no way to know it. Perez was superbly consistent today, at one point he had something like 6-7 fastest laps in row.

You haven't even seen the incident, yet you already blame him? Funny.

Ranger
25th March 2012, 14:43
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgD_k5-BPVo

Definitely Grosjean at fault for that one methinks.

Rollo
25th March 2012, 14:52
Button - for trying to to make two cars fit into one space.

Ferrari - for passing little notes to Sauber telling their man to drive off the road to make Alonso win (tongue firmly in cheek) :D

Garry Walker
25th March 2012, 14:53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgD_k5-BPVo

Definitely Grosjean at fault for that one methinks.
Grosjean made the mistake.
Of course Schumi squeezed him quite nicely too, so Grosjean was either going to totally back down or spun. And these days, drivers don't back down from MS anymore, unlike 10 years ago.
Awful race for Merc anyways.

Rollo
25th March 2012, 14:59
Donkey of the race - Channel 10 - for promising to show the race at 10:20pm (after it had already been finished) and then delaying it for 45mins because of all the ****ing ads during Homeland.

Thank you especially to Network Ten's CEO Lachan Murdoch who obviously thinks that SD viewers are second-class citizens. I hope he sits on a pineapple with the pointy bits upwards and spins until he either squeals or bleeds (whichever comes last).

The Black Knight
25th March 2012, 16:09
Grosjean, Vettel and Button in that order for their respective incidents.

keysersoze
25th March 2012, 16:15
The Donkey goes to me for setting the DVR to record only 30 extra minutes of the broadcast, when I should have learned from Sepang weather history to record an additional 90 minutes. Thus, I haven't seen the last 11 laps.

Until then, it was Massa for making me look stupid with my predictions, and Grosjean. Hey Romain, who caused you to toss it in the kitty litter, Schumacher?

wedge
25th March 2012, 16:20
Vettel, Button and TV director

BDunnell
25th March 2012, 16:23
Sauber Team - Telling their driver to be careful when he had the race there for the taking. You have to be more positive. I didn't hear it as a "Be careful when you try to overtake wait for the right moment" message it seemed alot more like a "Don't even risk an attempt to pass we just want 18 points and not to take out a Ferrari or they'll get mad" message.

I'm not sure so much can be read into it.

BDunnell
25th March 2012, 16:25
Also have to add I think Narain Karthikeyan had no fault in either incident.

He got himself into 10th and was struggling into the corner and ran slightly wide and Button went in too deep and smashed into him all Button's fault.

Then he was minding his own business and got out of the way and Vettel just cut in on him and done him again.

So to see some here saying he needs to be taken off the track or punished seems bang out of order to me...

Me too. Whether he did hold other people up we didn't really see on the BBC highlights, but in neither incident was he at fault at all.

wedge
25th March 2012, 16:35
I'm surprised Perez doesn't get much mention. Had it been a track with a finer margin for error would there have been more sympathy?

I think the criticism on Maldonado is a tad harsh. He was both Driver & Donkey of the Race. A solid points position, on Alonso's tail; any other driver would have come close to blowing their wad. For sure Williams will be ruing a points pay day especially Williams goes backwards as the season goes on.

N. Jones
25th March 2012, 17:15
Narain Karthikeyan - he and de la Rosa must be on HRT because they are cheap, or they bring in money.

Malbec
25th March 2012, 17:47
And what happened to Kobayashi? He was nowhere near Pérez this race.

He had the weekend from hell. A broken suspension component the team didn't know about in FP3 meant his setup was completely off, then during the race he had a brake fluid leak so his pace dropped off and he had to retire. Shame as Sauber could have had two good points finishes if they had handled both cars properly through the weekend.

Donkey of the race for me could be Massa with his lack of pace but I think today's result might actually save him. People will be too busy celebrating Alonso's race win to be calling for anyone's head over the next three weeks giving Massa a little breathing space.

Malbec
25th March 2012, 17:51

Of course Sauber were desperate to keep hold of the 18 points at whatever cost with a driver Monisha described on Sky as being temperamental hunting down Alonso at a second a lap. The prospect of 18 points going to zero in a fraction of a second amidst shards of carbon fibre was pretty high and for a team like Sauber this could mean two or three positions lost in the WCC at the end of the year with a loss of $10-30 million. There was no conspiracy here, and if there was do you think Perez would have stage managed an 'off' where he very nearly didn't finish the race at all instead of having some mysterious intermittent engine problem that cost him seconds a lap?

ioan
25th March 2012, 17:54

Exactly!

ioan
25th March 2012, 17:59

Gros'idiot'jean ran into MS back, I fail to see how was that MS fault. Then again Grosjean repeated the feat alone and spun out for good.

Azumanga Davo
25th March 2012, 18:22
Donkey of the race for me could be Massa with his lack of pace but I think today's result might actually save him. People will be too busy celebrating Alonso's race win to be calling for anyone's head over the next three weeks giving Massa a little breathing space.

I believe the total opposite. I think even more questions will be raised as to why Massa can't extract the goods like Alonso can. Mind you, both Ferraris were clearly not at optimum in the dry, but Massa went backwards no matter the conditions...

tfp
25th March 2012, 19:27
Massa - He is getting worse before he gets better. And Bunson, I think he forgot he was racing. Karthikayen for playing dodgems, and Vettel for moaning to the press after the race.

Oh, and God is also a donkey, for making it rain.

steveaki13
25th March 2012, 19:33
Oh, and God is also a donkey, for making it rain.

You are probably going to hell for that comment. :devil:

And I am probably going to Hell for liking it and laughing out loud. :devil:

donKey jote
25th March 2012, 19:38
God is also a donkey
:andrea: :p

odykas
25th March 2012, 19:44
Vettel
Massa
Button

tfp
25th March 2012, 19:47
You are probably going to hell for that comment. :devil:

And I am probably going to Hell for liking it and laughing out loud. :devil:

Haha! Well in that case I hope they have sky HD there :D

A FONDO
25th March 2012, 20:50
Rosberg
Vettel
Groesjan
Button

Big Ben
25th March 2012, 21:10
Felipe Massa

Brown, Jon Brow
25th March 2012, 22:16
Didn't Grosjean start a first lap crash in one of his first races at Spa in 2010?

N. Jones
25th March 2012, 23:16
Haha! Well in that case I hope they have sky HD there :D
:laugh: :laugh:

i_max2k2
25th March 2012, 23:36
Grosjean, button, vettel, massa and rosberg and in that order.

Somebody
25th March 2012, 23:56
Of course Sauber were desperate to keep hold of the 18 points at whatever cost with a driver Monisha described on Sky as being temperamental hunting down Alonso at a second a lap. The prospect of 18 points going to zero in a fraction of a second amidst shards of carbon fibre was pretty high and for a team like Sauber this could mean two or three positions lost in the WCC at the end of the year with a loss of $10-30 million. There was no conspiracy here, and if there was do you think Perez would have stage managed an 'off' where he very nearly didn't finish the race at all instead of having some mysterious intermittent engine problem that cost him seconds a lap?

Moreover, remember Maldonado last week? Williams will probably rue those missing 8 points come the end of the season, so imagine how hard Sauber would have been hit by a careless Perez blowing 18 points that were his.

i_max2k2
26th March 2012, 00:01
In one of the transmissions they said they wanted to that place badly (1st I believe), that was putting unnecessary pressure, they should have really left him to race, and only bothered him when there was something wrong. I felt that was just poor from Sauber.

aryan
26th March 2012, 00:22
Donkey of the race - Channel 10 - for promising to show the race at 10:20pm (after it had already been finished) and then delaying it for 45mins because of all the ****ing ads during Homeland.

What's wrong with Channel One? They showed the whole thing live. With ads, yes, but that's usual practice here.

aryan
26th March 2012, 00:26
Donkey of the race for me was Grosjean. He's young and bound to make mistakes, but blaming Schumacher for that incident and keeping a straight face... well, only a donkey could do that.

Massa is not the donkey anymore. He's just slow. He's lost his race craft I'm afraid. I feel that the next two grand prix could very well be his last, unless he improves remarkably.

(dis)honourable mention to the Sauber team for their unnecessary and distracting message and Narain Karthikeyan for making everyone move off the line to lap him.

Somebody
26th March 2012, 02:41
Massa is not the donkey anymore. He's just slow. He's lost his race craft I'm afraid. I feel that the next two grand prix could very well be his last, unless he improves remarkably.

What idiot would jump in the car to replace him? Look at Fisichella's travails when he replaced Luca H. Badoer after nearly winning in a Force India.

Two words, second word "chalice"...

yodasarmpit
26th March 2012, 02:55
For me Button and Massa.

Whilst Button made a mistake with the HRT, I don't see Massa making it past the half way mark (of the season) before being replaced.

Robinho
26th March 2012, 04:02
Massa for nearly be lapped by his race winning teammate, vettel for cutting across narain and puncturing his own tyre, then going on telly and moaning about idiot drivers, button, but at least he fessed up to his mistake, outbraking himself, grosjean for spoiling a promising start by binning it

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

airshifter
28th March 2012, 11:56
The Donkey goes to me for setting the DVR to record only 30 extra minutes of the broadcast, when I should have learned from Sepang weather history to record an additional 90 minutes. Thus, I haven't seen the last 11 laps.

I pulled the same donkey move myself. I just finally watched the last 11 laps yesterday afternoon after having the DVR record the second airing of the race.

As for the race, lots and lots of donkeys. As for Perez, I think it was a real mistake and no conspiracy theory here. Which is a shame because with the pace he had I think he had a very good shot at Alonso.