PDA

View Full Version : Button of the Race

steveaki13
18th March 2012, 08:04
So who gets your vote.

For me Jenson was a class act today

N4D13
18th March 2012, 08:04
Seriously, did anyone drive better than Button did in Oz? I think he was supreme today.

And I thought he'd done a mistake by moving to McLaren in 2010... :p

EuroTroll
18th March 2012, 08:05
Indeed, Button was :champion:

Honourable mention to Perez, coming from last to 8th. :up:

Garry Walker
18th March 2012, 08:07
Button was very impressive.

N4D13
18th March 2012, 08:09
Oops, did I open a second Driver of the Race thread? In that case, please close this one. :(

steveaki13
18th March 2012, 08:13
Oops, did I open a second Driver of the Race thread? In that case, please close this one. :(

Great minds think alike. ;)

I opened one as I thought we needed one, may as well close the other one I made, as we have replies here. :)

EuroTroll
18th March 2012, 08:13

Seemed like you two opened them simultaneously, but I liked your title better. :up:

F1boat
18th March 2012, 08:17
He is getting better and better. That's very impressive. And he is very confident, which is very important.

Dave B
18th March 2012, 08:18
He didn't put a wheel wrong all day. He admitted a tiny error in qualifying but more than made up for it in the race. Hamilton's face at the weigh-in and on the podium said it all: he expected to walk it but was put in his place by Jenson.

Kimi deserves an honourable mention: disastrous qualifying converted into a solid points finish on his comeback with some dogged driving.

Garry Walker
18th March 2012, 08:19
He is getting better and better. That's very impressive. And he is very confident, which is very important.

Yes, he has developed insanely well. I never thought he could become as good as he has.

jens
18th March 2012, 08:19
Button was great. Like in the second half of 2011, he still has an advantage over Hamilton in race trim.
Alonso was fantastic, again getting everything out of a struggling car.
And some people, who came from the back (Pérez, Räikkönen, Ricciardo after first lap accident), did well too.

Generally I have to say that this time experienced drivers delivered the results on race-day with young hot-heads getting into accidents.

ioan
18th March 2012, 08:22
Jenson, and I guess that with this he already got a massive psychological advantage against Lewis.

F1boat
18th March 2012, 08:28
Yes, he has developed insanely well. I never thought he could become as good as he has.

Neither did I. When he fought for the WDC in 2009, I supported him because he seems like a genuienely nice fellow, has fought hard and I thought that on that basis he deserved the WDC. Even the successive victories did not convince me that he is as good as Kimi or Lewis, but now I think that he may be better than them, even if not faster. He is very, very smart and very, very patient - one gift even the mighty Alonso lacks, IMO.

steveaki13
18th March 2012, 08:30
Button was driver of the day without a doubt for me.

Other mentions:

Vettel - Drove a good race to recover to 2nd.
Webber - did ok actually as he was 10th at one point on lap 1 I think.
Kobayashi - Another good drive 6th place and lots of points. Got a bit of luck with chaos at the end.
Raikkonen - Made a progressive race upto 7th
Perez - 22nd to 8th not a bad race at all.

Dave B
18th March 2012, 08:40
Jenson, and I guess that with this he already got a massive psychological advantage against Lewis.
Very early days, but if Lewis' body language and facial expression was anything to go by then you may be right. Obviously you don't expect a driver to be happy about finishing 3rd when he qualified on pole, but Hamilton looked like he'd just come home to find Jenson and Seb enjoying a threesome with Nicole.

F1boat
18th March 2012, 08:49
The problem with Lewis always was that he is way too cocky. He believes so firmly that he is faster and more talented than the others that expects them always to be slower and to wield him their race positions. Hence he is astonished when someone if faster and suffers so many crashes. He, in my opinion, doesn't want to believe what is happening - that he is beaten is his own team and that a younger kid takes what he believes that is his by right. And that's why he is so vulnerable. He is a very fast driver, but if he is to succeed he must accept that there are other extremely strong rivals and he can't always beat them. He may learn from Jenson - Button accepts calmly defeat and waits for the opportunity to strike back.

Mia 01
18th March 2012, 09:09
Jenson, what a great race, the superior driver in MacLaren. He can possible be the new WDC this year.

Alonso!! Took the car up where it shouldn´t be.

Kimi!!!!!!! What a great comeback, I´m proud of you!.

DexDexter
18th March 2012, 09:13
Jenson was definitely the Button of the race for me. Alonso also drove quite well in his Ferrari, Räikkönen was solid as well.

Uneven Treatment
18th March 2012, 11:12
Button obviously.

Special mention to Kimi, welcome back.

Another one who hasn't been mentioned and i think we would be remiss to not mention is Daniel Ricciardo. Not only did he get in the points after a first lap crash put him a full lap down, but he successfully took his teammates position on the very last lap. He'll be grinning like a loon all week I would've thought.

N. Jones
18th March 2012, 11:56
Vettel for me. I couldn't believe he knew how to pass!

jens
18th March 2012, 12:02
Vettel for me. I couldn't believe he knew how to pass!

Heh. He had some nice overtakes already last year. :) But perhaps 2012 is the year for Vettel to prove that he is a top ace and a true all-rounder, even in the eyes of harshest critics. If the car characteristics force him to fight back from average qualifying positions, people can't claim he can win/do well only in the best car and from the front.

tfp
18th March 2012, 12:30
Bunson - driver of the race for me, also the Kob, fantastic race for him! What is his highest ever placed finish?

EuroTroll
18th March 2012, 12:36
...also the Kob, fantastic race for him! What is his highest ever placed finish?

5th in Monaco '11.

The Black Knight
18th March 2012, 13:10
Great race by Button. He is continuing to prove his worth more and more. That was the drive of a champion today. It was obvious from the word go that Hamilton couldn't live with him. I don't know what happened to Hammy today but I'm sure he'll bounce back. Good to see the McLaren boys out front.

N. Jones
18th March 2012, 14:38
Heh. He had some nice overtakes already last year. :) But perhaps 2012 is the year for Vettel to prove that he is a top ace and a true all-rounder, even in the eyes of harshest critics. If the car characteristics force him to fight back from average qualifying positions, people can't claim he can win/do well only in the best car and from the front.

:) I was smiling and shaking my head when he was in second and charging. A win from him at this race would have seriously worried the field (I think).

Knock-on
18th March 2012, 15:01
:)

BDunnell
18th March 2012, 15:26

Not something against which I feel he really needs to defend himself anyway.

As for Button — well, those who ever doubted his abilities, including his smoothness, ought really to eat their words. They were always there, after all. Now we see him blossoming.

wedge
18th March 2012, 15:41
Vettel - undoubtedly a class act. He can play the hunter as well as the hunted.

As for Button — well, those who ever doubted his abilities, including his smoothness, ought really to eat their words. They were always there, after all. Now we see him blossoming.

Its only the first race of the year. There's still a question mark how consistently he can sustain at the absolute top level of driving. I still think of Button akin to Mansell in beating anyone on their day.

Eki
18th March 2012, 16:07
Kimi deserves an honourable mention: disastrous qualifying converted into a solid points finish on his comeback with some dogged driving.
Yes, Kimi's comeback was better than I believed.

N4D13
18th March 2012, 16:24
Yes, Kimi's comeback was better than I believed.
There's no doubt that Kimi's drive was fine (at the very least). He managed to save his tyres for a lot of time, which is more than many other drivers could say. But not having had Grosjean on the track isn't giving us much of a benchmark to decide whether Kimi's drive was a great one or merely a fine one. Anyway, he did a good job today. ;)

BDunnell
18th March 2012, 16:26
Its only the first race of the year. There's still a question mark how consistently he can sustain at the absolute top level of driving. I still think of Button akin to Mansell in beating anyone on their day.

I would say Button's top level of driving has a rather different nature to that of some of his peers. Today, for example, his ability to look after his tyres just that bit better surely helped him win the day.

ioan
18th March 2012, 16:43
Very early days, but if Lewis' body language and facial expression was anything to go by then you may be right. Obviously you don't expect a driver to be happy about finishing 3rd when he qualified on pole, but Hamilton looked like he'd just come home to find Jenson and Seb enjoying a threesome with Nicole.

Interesting comparison!

Robinho
18th March 2012, 16:58
Has to be Button, commanding race against some serious opposition. I fully expected Hamilton to clear off, so was very pleased to see Button's control of the gap. Maldanado would have been in there for me 2 if he'd not binned it with half a lap to go, still some credit there, nice race from Perez and Kimi too

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Robinho
18th March 2012, 21:39
also worth noting that Button has won 3 of the last 4 Aussie GP's, so its clearly somewhere that suits him

tfp
18th March 2012, 23:27
5th in Monaco '11.

I forgot about that ;)

Good to see Kobayashi doing well though, one of my favourite drivers on the grid :)

wedge
19th March 2012, 00:13
I would say Button's top level of driving has a rather different nature to that of some of his peers. Today, for example, his ability to look after his tyres just that bit better surely helped him win the day.

I've got no problems with driving style, its how you apply yourself to the situations you're given.

Maybe I worded it wrong but I meant consistently driving at the highest level.

Not just winning but consistently getting the best out of the car. The latter still needs convincing. Button can look great in good car but in a bad car he falls short. It's what separates the greats, not so greats (who usually end up with a single WDC) and those destined to be #2's.

BDunnell
19th March 2012, 00:21
Not just winning but consistently getting the best out of the car. The latter still needs convincing. Button can look great in good car but in a bad car he falls short. It's what separates the greats, not so greats (who usually end up with a single WDC) and those destined to be #2's.

I would take it you're only referring here to drivers in the prime of their careers, for if not I'm unsure what could be said of Schumacher after two seasons of being beaten by his team-mate at Mercedes.

wedge
19th March 2012, 00:46
I would take it you're only referring here to drivers in the prime of their careers, for if not I'm unsure what could be said of Schumacher after two seasons of being beaten by his team-mate at Mercedes.

It's why I was against his comeback.

The general consensus is that it is currently his second career in F1.

To Schumi's credit he truly cares nothing of records, making history, legacy or what history will say of him.

BTW if some still doubt the talents of Schumi a recent Motorsport magazine podcast Pat Symonds (who knows a thing or two about champions) tells a great story about Schumi and his fetish for Casio watches!

ArrowsFA1
19th March 2012, 09:47
The evidence of 2012 says he can only win in the best car and from the front :p :D ;)

Knock-on
19th March 2012, 09:51
This year will be the seminal year for Vettel. The Red Ball is on par with another car for once so he's going to have to fight for it. Lets see how he does but personally I think he's going to get very scrappy this year.

F1boat
19th March 2012, 09:57
On par? McLaren has a faster car IMO. But I don't think that Seb will be scrappy. Lewis might be, if Button continues to trouble him, but Seb I don't think so.

wedge
19th March 2012, 13:49
But I don't think that Seb will be scrappy.

It was evident that he was.

He was sliding the car at some corners and even went off in turn 1&2 when he was chasing Schumi.

I was unsure at first but Vettel is turning into a very smart fellow. Like Alonso and Piquet, Seb has a good idea of when to turn the wick up and deciding which fights are not worth fighting.

Anubis
19th March 2012, 14:02
Button really has matured fabuously over the last few seasons and he's become a joy to watch. The thing I find most interesting about the situation with Hamilton is there's been no stupid mind games used. Just by out-driving and (more often than not) out thinking him, Button has found the chink in the armour. As soon as Lewis starts beating himself up over results, which already seems to be the case, all Button has to do is keep on keeping on. He's clearly already in Hamilton's head.

Hard to look beyond Button for drive of the race, but as much as I dislike him, Alonso deserves a mention, as that car is clearly a complete pig.

ioan
19th March 2012, 18:35
I was unsure at first but Vettel is turning into a very smart fellow. Like Alonso and Piquet, Seb has a good idea of when to turn the wick up and deciding which fights are not worth fighting.

You don''t become a 2 times WDC without being smart.

Dave B
19th March 2012, 21:19
Red Ball

Freudian slip? Something on your mind? :p

airshifter
19th March 2012, 22:02
Just a curiosity here, but exactly how has everyone determined that the Ferrari is a complete pig? Alonso has dominated Massa since joining the team, and this race was no exception. And though I think highly of Alonso as a driver, I've seen no evidence that the car is nearly as bad as everyone claims.

Many (if not most) of the top drivers over the years have openly stated F1 results depend on the car primarily and the driver second. Does anyone have any evidence that the Ferrari would not be just as good with another very skilled driver at the controls, or just as slow with another Massa level driver at the controls?

N4D13
19th March 2012, 22:07
Just a curiosity here, but exactly how has everyone determined that the Ferrari is a complete pig? Alonso has dominated Massa since joining the team, and this race was no exception. And though I think highly of Alonso as a driver, I've seen no evidence that the car is nearly as bad as everyone claims.

Many (if not most) of the top drivers over the years have openly stated F1 results depend on the car primarily and the driver second. Does anyone have any evidence that the Ferrari would not be just as good with another very skilled driver at the controls, or just as slow with another Massa level driver at the controls?
I've read many people who claim that this year's Ferrari is a poor car. It doesn't take an engineer (well, perhaps an armchair engineer) to see that the car has rather poor balance and seems to be difficult to control on the corners. And if you looked at the speed trap in qualifying, it was obvious that it was losing a lot of time due to a poor top speed.

wedge
19th March 2012, 23:43
You don''t become a 2 times WDC without being smart.

In 2010 he was dubbed "The Crash Kid".

Last year he pull off aggressive overtakes if he need to.

It was evident in quali. Its a handful in & out of corners.

The great drivers can make it look easy because they are better at manipulating a race car with better judgment of inputs; just like all the other top, top sportsmen do what they do and make it look easy.

aryan
20th March 2012, 00:34
1. Button: He was supreme.

2. Alonso: Brought that dog of a car to finish at a place it had no legitimate right to finish in.

3. Kobayashi: Once again showed that he is an extremely opportunistic driver, taking 6th in that crazy las lap.

Special mention to Ricciardo, whose finish was very strong considering his first lap incidents, and showed good race craft. Perez ran a brilliant race and perhaps deserved to finish higher. Vettel also ran a strong race, though I am not sure he could have finished second had it not been for the safety car.

aryan
20th March 2012, 00:41
Just a curiosity here, but exactly how has everyone determined that the Ferrari is a complete pig?

I was at Albert Park. You watch that Ferrari go past, and it is so unstable, so twitchy, that all the time you are wondering how it is staying on the track. Barring HRT, it looked by far the most unstable car of the pack. Subjectively, even Marrusia looked more composed and stable than the Ferrari.

Fernando is far from being my favourite driver, and as a Maclaren fan, I still resent him over his shenanigans in 2007. But he is an extremely gifted driver. That car had no businesses finishing in points, let alone 5th.

airshifter
20th March 2012, 11:03
I was at Albert Park. You watch that Ferrari go past, and it is so unstable, so twitchy, that all the time you are wondering how it is staying on the track. Barring HRT, it looked by far the most unstable car of the pack. Subjectively, even Marrusia looked more composed and stable than the Ferrari.

Fernando is far from being my favourite driver, and as a Maclaren fan, I still resent him over his shenanigans in 2007. But he is an extremely gifted driver. That car had no businesses finishing in points, let alone 5th.

I didn't think it looked that bad on the coverage, but I'll take your first hand comparison to Marrusia as it being worse than I thought it was.

Knock-on
20th March 2012, 11:33
Freudian slip? Something on your mind? :p

Bull :p

longisland
20th March 2012, 12:20
For those who digs conspiracy theory, it's plausible that Mclaren may have imposed the first corner rule. The driver who wins the first corner will be given the priority in the race; I believed this was the team arrangement during Hakkinen/Coulthard era. The second driver will maintain a gap with the lead driver. One would argue this is essentially a form of team order but it made sense from the team's perspective. Rather than having team mates taking each other out like RBR did in Turkey 2010, RBR made some sensible calls by making sure that Webber was pitted in the right moment so the two RBRs won't get into each others way even if it means compromising one driver's strategy. Having said that, it was still Hamilton's race to lose so kudos to Button especially the great get away from Vettel in the final SC period. Many interpreted Hamilton's post race reaction as a sore loser but maybe he was upset the fact that he couldn't push Button in the earlier part of the race and therefore Vettel was able to leap frog him during the final SC period.
For me, the highlight of the race has to be the scrap between Raikkonen and Kobayashi. It's disappointing to see Schumacher retired and Grosjean and Senna taken out of the race.
Team of the race - Mclaren for scoring the most points
Driver of the race - Button and honorary mention for Vettel & Alonso
Donkey team of the race for top teams - Ferrari for failing to get into Q3
Donkey of the race - Massa
Mid table team of the race - Sauber for scoring the most points and Lotus for the great qualifying and race pace.
Mid table donkey team - Force India for having a relatively poor qualifying.
Driver of the race mid table - Perez for the great finish and Kobayashi/Kimi for the great battle.
Donkey in the mid table - Maldonado for ruining Grosjean's race and spinning out in the last lap.
Team of the race bottom of the food chain - Marrusia for finishing ahead of Catheram
Donkey team - HRT for failing to qualify
Driver of the race - Pic for a solid performance in his first ever race.
Donkey at the bottom - none

ArrowsFA1
20th March 2012, 12:54
For those who digs conspiracy theory, it's plausible that Mclaren may have imposed the first corner rule. The driver who wins the first corner will be given the priority in the race...
I think that the only "rule" in place was, and always is, that the leading McLaren gets first dibs on when to make pitstops.

A contributory factor in this race. as Martin Whitmarsh has said (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98176), was that McLaren were marginal on fuel - "from lap eight we were in severe fuel saving mode" - so with Button having established a lead the likelihood of Hamilton burning up fuel in an effort to catch and pass were (it's probably safe to speculate) almost non-existent.

airshifter
21st March 2012, 01:17
I think that the only "rule" in place was, and always is, that the leading McLaren gets first dibs on when to make pitstops.

A contributory factor in this race. as Martin Whitmarsh has said (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98176), was that McLaren were marginal on fuel - "from lap eight we were in severe fuel saving mode" - so with Button having established a lead the likelihood of Hamilton burning up fuel in an effort to catch and pass were (it's probably safe to speculate) almost non-existent.

Mclaren have in the past used the "first corner" rule as longisland stated, but as far as I know only on certain occasions where points were tight and they needed to ensure both cars finished to gain constructors points. I'll see if I can dig up a book I have that gives examples of it. I know there are remarks about it in a book about Mika that I have.

Knock-on
21st March 2012, 14:45
And if I remember rightly, the famous DC one was an agreement between the drivers and not a directive from the team. Ron historically prefered to let his drivers race.

wedge
21st March 2012, 15:03
I think that the only "rule" in place was, and always is, that the leading McLaren gets first dibs on when to make pitstops .

It's generally the case for most teams.

And if I remember rightly, the famous DC one was an agreement between the drivers and not a directive from the team. Ron historically prefered to let his drivers race.

But Mika was called into the pits mid-race, allegedly a dirty trick by Ferrari radio communications and so the positions were restored.

Prost & Senna too made agreements. The most famous being the 1989 San Marino GP. Before the race Senna asks Prost "what shall we do about the start?"

"Just like last year" replies Prost

The race is restarted after Berger's horrendous crash and Senna decides to re-interpret/break the agreement. It is then the relationship between the 2 truly hits rock bottom.

EuroTroll
21st March 2012, 15:09
But Mika was called into the pits mid-race, allegedly a dirty trick by Ferrari radio communications and so the positions were restored.

I thought the case was that Häkkinen misheard a McLaren radio communication, his hearing having been slightly damaged in the Adelaide '95 crash.